PDA

View Full Version : Oil Life Indicators

Mazo EMS2
10-08-2017, 10:03 AM
So who has a vehicle with O.L.I. and do you rely on it? I have a Ford Escape with it, but it seems to me that it's no more than a mileage counter that tells me when I'm getting close to the mileage total that I select to change my oil at. Am I wrong, is this really all it is? Seems like kind of a waste to even put such a thing in a vehicle if that's all it's gonna do is count down my miles. Now, if it was a true life indicator that somehow analyzed the oil quality, and told me when the quality of the oil was going south, then I could see its purpose. Are there OLI systems that actually analyze the oil? I change our oil in our vehicles about 3 times a year, I use synthetic and things work just fine. Will the Spyder ever have an OLI?.......Lord help us if it does.....LOL

Chupaca
10-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Your right....just a mileage meter but most folks don't pay attention to the sticker on the windshield indicating your suggested next oil change so it helps some. Now a flashing light on the dash will get more attention. Mine does have a wrench appear each time I start it up when it is due for the next service. :thumbup:

UtahPete
10-08-2017, 10:20 AM
My 2007 Honda Odyssey has an OLI. It measures a number of factors, including temperatures, driving conditions (city vs highway), etc. The mileage that it comes on varies, but generally it's way beyond (like twice) the 3500 mile mark that oil change stations like to recommend. The car has over 150,000 miles on it and never a problem with the engine. I like it; there's too many other things to keep track of and with two cars, 3 motorcycles, pressure washer, lawn mower, generator and snow thrower all requiring routine maintenance it's nice to have reminders.

Beaudog
10-08-2017, 10:26 AM
Most of them are more than mileage counters but do not actually analyze the oil. The computer tracks how many times the engine was started and mileage for each trip. And probably other things.

If you make lots of short trips to the store ect it will shorten the recommended mileage for change. If you drive a 100 miles every time you start it it will lengthen the mileage.