PDA

View Full Version : Engine Warm-up

mark4Jesus
10-05-2017, 05:49 PM
I did not find a recommendation in the manual. Is there a recommended time to let the 998 engine warm up before taking off? I know that it is much bigger, but for the v-twin in my Victory, general procedure was to let run until the top of the engine was getting warm because pistons and cylinder walls heated, and thus expanded, at slightly different rates. Does the same hold true for the 998?

Mazo EMS2
10-05-2017, 05:57 PM
I've gotten into the habit of pushing the bike out onto the driveway, fire it up, and then get my gear on and set up my electronics. That seems to give it enough time to get things moving effectively.

Chupaca
10-05-2017, 06:15 PM
Good Idea to get the oil flowing in the system. I do the same and fire her up then get all my gear on and head on out. :thumbup:

cmbspyderrss
10-05-2017, 06:55 PM
Agree with the above. Even on dirt bikes. Start up and then final gear up. If your motor can't idle you got bigger problems.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-05-2017, 07:20 PM
Just as with any engine, what you do not want to do is start it and then rev the engine right away. Give it a few seconds at least to get the oil moving. If you have a 2013 and are experiencing clutch shudder when taking off one of the solutions is let the engine warm up somewhat. The other solution is take off quickly, i.e., put it in gear and hit the throttle hard enough to avoid slipping the clutch.

oldguyinTX
10-05-2017, 07:22 PM
Agree with all of the above. The 998, particularly an SE5, needs to have oil circulating through the (wet) clutch. I have found that there is much less "shudder" upon take off once the engine is well warmed up.

reknhevn
10-05-2017, 09:46 PM
I used to let my 2013RT settle down to around 1300rpm and then take off.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-05-2017, 09:55 PM
I did not find a recommendation in the manual. Is there a recommended time to let the 998 engine warm up before taking off? I know that it is much bigger, but for the v-twin in my Victory, general procedure was to let run until the top of the engine was getting warm because pistons and cylinder walls heated, and thus expanded, at slightly different rates. Does the same hold true for the 998? One minute .... is all that's needed ...unless it's near 32 degree's then I would go Three minutes .....jmho ....Mike :thumbup:

canamjhb
10-05-2017, 10:05 PM
Here in Arid-Zone-A, the engines are warmed up by mother nature just sitting in the driveway ;). All we need to do is turn the key and let it run a few seconds to let the oil circulate and off we go..:2thumbs:

SpyderAnn01
10-06-2017, 12:56 AM
Here in Arid-Zone-A, the engines are warmed up by mother nature just sitting in the driveway ;). All we need to do is turn the key and let it run a few seconds to let the oil circulate and off we go..:2thumbs:

I totally agree.

kep-up
10-06-2017, 06:52 AM
Start it and ride it, for heaven's sake.
By the time the wheels make 1 revolution it'll be good to go.
I do believe some of us tend to make this a lot more complicated than it needs to be. :dontknow:

mark4Jesus
10-06-2017, 08:47 AM
Start it and ride it, for heaven's sake.
By the time the wheels make 1 revolution it'll be good to go.
I do believe some of us tend to make this a lot more complicated than it needs to be. :dontknow:

I understand. With the big v-twin on the Victory, if you did not let it warm up, it would cause problems down the road with engine longevity, nothing immediate. That was the source of my question, wasn't sure if the 998 is different.

ARtraveler
10-06-2017, 02:11 PM
For me--start up, let the idle get up to speed, hit reverse and go. No special warm up time here. By the time we complete the light check on each others bikes--we are on our way down the two block country road to the first stop sign. :yes: I have one of each engine configuration.

billybovine
10-06-2017, 04:12 PM
I understand. With the big v-twin on the Victory, if you did not let it warm up, it would cause problems down the road with engine longevity, nothing immediate. That was the source of my question, wasn't sure if the 998 is different.

Let me guess because you did not say. Maybe your Victory was air cooled. If so then it is logical for Victory to recommend that it it be warmed up or driven at a very low load until warmed up. That is true of air cooled engines. Since the Spyder 998 engine is liquid cooled and the extremes of temperature are not as great. The piston fit is much tighter when cold. Give it 30 seconds and drive on.

vided
10-06-2017, 04:16 PM
If you wish to let warm up, go for it.
but under no circumstances
BLIP THAT THROTTLE :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::lecturef_smilie:

ARtraveler
10-06-2017, 06:21 PM
The last motorcycle I had that needed a warm-up was a 2000 Yamaha V-Star 650. That also had a manual choke on it. It needed about 15 minutes before it would run without the choke on the cool, frosty fall mornings. :thumbup:

SteveP
10-06-2017, 07:01 PM
QUOTE=billybovine;1306980]Let me guess because you did not say. Maybe your Victory was air cooled. If so then it is logical for Victory to recommend that it it be warmed up or driven at a very low load until warmed up. That is true of air cooled engines. Since the Spyder 998 engine is liquid cooled and the extremes of temperature are not as great. The piston fit is much tighter when cold. Give it 30 seconds and drive on.[/QUOTE]
:agree: No need to run any modern liquid cooled engines from bikes to trucks more than about 30 seconds , an engine will last longer if always brought to temperature under reasonable load ( don't rev the crap out of it)

mark4Jesus
10-06-2017, 10:05 PM
Let me guess because you did not say. Maybe your Victory was air cooled. If so then it is logical for Victory to recommend that it it be warmed up or driven at a very low load until warmed up. That is true of air cooled engines. Since the Spyder 998 engine is liquid cooled and the extremes of temperature are not as great. The piston fit is much tighter when cold. Give it 30 seconds and drive on.

An epiphany has just occurred! Yes the Vic is air cooled and the Spyder is not. As soon as I read your post, I did my best Homer Simpson, "Dhooh!" (Or however, you spell that!) Thanks for the reminder!

That said, my '86 Gold Wing manual said to wait for one bar on the digital temp gauge before riding. But of course that was a different type of engine, many years ago.

mark4Jesus
10-06-2017, 10:06 PM
If you wish to let warm up, go for it.
but under no circumstances
BLIP THAT THROTTLE :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::lecturef_smilie:

We need a "LOL" response button!