PDA

View Full Version : Custom made Subwoofer Spyder RT Limited

Martin Slovakia
10-04-2017, 03:58 AM
Friend of mine has recently improved sound on his spyder by mounting this custom made subwoofer.
What you think? It plays like a hell, but also it makes him go much slower because of the wind turbulence :))))
Too much?????

Peter Aawen
10-04-2017, 04:04 AM
Yep, too much! :shocked:

He'd make a much better noise by pulling the air intake plumbing off the front end of the air cleaner & just listening to the induction noise!! And the Spyder wouldn't loose quite so much speed either! :thumbup:

scooterexpress
10-04-2017, 06:10 AM
very gaudy looking way too much box looking he should of looked into putting the sub woofer in the side saddle bags i.m.o. nice try work on it more make it more sleek looking not so boxy

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-04-2017, 08:15 AM
Friend of mine has recently improved sound on his spyder by mounting this custom made subwoofer.
What you think? It plays like a hell, but also it makes him go much slower because of the wind turbulence :))))
Too much?????
A couple of points ... if you still have the OEM speakers ( F & R ) they are the WEAK link .... they start to degrade at about 1/2 volume ......... I replaced all four ( for less than $150.00 with JBL's ) & changed the rear to 5.25 in. ones .... I can now hear my music at 80 mph .... with a volume setting of 75% ...... crystal clear & Loud ( if you want it to be )... Mike :thumbup:

trikermutha
10-04-2017, 08:25 AM
Way to much :shocked: If he wanted more bass what not mount them to the side bags or panels. Kinda like the Harley group does.

I would be afraid of damage to the rear trunk cover with all that resistance.

easysuper
10-04-2017, 08:30 AM
Apparently his Mom taught him to share.

tip
10-04-2017, 08:42 AM
workmanship looks very nice!
not much on the size and looks tho'
Keep on with the "out of the box" ideas - very interesting!,
Tip

Chupaca
10-04-2017, 08:55 AM
that is a lot to put on the rear trunk lid. With the rack above it don't know how long it will all hold together. As stated there are other places to put it and with all that he probably rydes alone so how about the rear seat....:dontknow:

Pirate looks at --
10-04-2017, 09:41 AM
Too much! And I am sure happy that I don't have to be ryding with him!

Martin Slovakia
10-05-2017, 04:37 AM
that is a lot to put on the rear trunk lid. With the rack above it don't know how long it will all hold together. As stated there are other places to put it and with all that he probably rydes alone so how about the rear seat....:dontknow:

Well if you say so, that you dont know how long it will hold on its place. Then def. i will not rYde behind him any-more:lecturef_smilie: ;)
And usually he drives with his girlfriend, so the back seat was not an option.

Martin Slovakia
10-05-2017, 04:38 AM
A couple of points ... if you still have the OEM speakers ( F & R ) they are the WEAK link .... they start to degrade at about 1/2 volume ......... I replaced all four ( for less than $150.00 with JBL's ) & changed the rear to 5.25 in. ones .... I can now hear my music at 80 mph .... with a volume setting of 75% ...... crystal clear & Loud ( if you want it to be )... Mike :thumbup:

Mike, he did same thing as you did in respect to changing the front and rear.. plus he did this.. I am not a big fan of it as well :(

Kredab
10-05-2017, 05:45 AM

Mike, I'm interested in this. Whatever you can tell me will be helpful.
Model #'s, i'm assuming they where marine grade?
How bad was the changeover ?
Was there any massaging to the Spyder to make them fit?

Thank you

Buckeye Bleau
10-05-2017, 07:54 AM

Thank you

:agree:
Come on Mike fess up. Of course everything is relative, what Mike states was easy requires almost a miracle for most of us to accomplish.

Joe

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-05-2017, 08:20 AM

Thank you
I bought JBL GTO, 528 ...+ JBL- 508c ..... both are 5.25in the fronts are the same as OEM ..... the rear are a bit larger than OEM - but the ( rear ) OEM's are larger than normal ... so getting the 5.25's in wasn't difficult .... " Beadaholic " ( Laura ) did them and she posted Video's on Her " Laura's MODs page " ....... these aren't so called " marine grade " .... the jbl's have Polymer cones which are waterproof though ! - plastic doesn't absorb anything ........ Mine have been in since 2014 and NO issues at all ...Massaging ?? look at Her video & pics ... TIP #1 - the rear speaker hole needs to enlarged to 4 & 5/8th in..... which is ONLY a little bigger than the OEM hole .......... TIP #2 ... make a template ( circle ) of a 4 5/8th dia. size ... put this on the OEM hole and trace it ....that's the hole you will to get the 5.25 speaker in ..... a few people here have done this after reading my posts about it ......... Mike :thumbup:

tomand
10-05-2017, 08:32 AM
I bought JBL GTO, 528 ...+ JBL- 508c ..... both are 5.25in the fronts are the same as OEM ..... the rear are a bit larger than OEM - but the ( rear ) OEM's are larger than normal ... so getting the 5.25's in wasn't difficult .... " Beadaholic " ( Laura ) did them and she posted Video's on Her " Laura's MODs page " ....... these aren't so called " marine grade " .... the jbl's have Polymer cones which are waterproof though ! - plastic doesn't absorb anything ........ Mine have been in since 2014 and NO issues at all ...Massaging ?? look at Her video & pics ... TIP #1 - the rear speaker hole needs to enlarged to 4 & 5/8th in..... which is ONLY a little bigger than the OEM hole .......... TIP #2 ... make a template ( circle ) of a 4 5/8th dia. size ... put this on the OEM hole and trace it ....that's the hole you will to get the 5.25 speaker in ..... a few people here have done this after reading my posts about it ......... Mike :thumbup:

I popped the plastic cover off the dash yesterday to check it out on my new F3T (it is just held in place with plastic clips). Easy peasy access to the speakers to unplug, unscrew and upgrade with speakers that a deaf guy can hopefully hear cuz hearing the factory ones at speed isn't an option. Shopping today for upgrade 5.25" 3 way speakers. Like I said, easy peasy job.

Thank you Mike for the info!!
:yes:

David C
10-05-2017, 09:21 AM
Thinking outside the box huh? Try putting it inside the rear center compartment.

DavidC

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-05-2017, 11:08 AM
I popped the plastic cover off the dash yesterday to check it out on my new F3T (it is just held in place with plastic clips). Easy peasy access to the speakers to unplug, unscrew and upgrade with speakers that a deaf guy can hopefully hear cuz hearing the factory ones at speed isn't an option. Shopping today for upgrade 5.25" 3 way speakers. Like I said, easy peasy job.

Thank you Mike for the info!!
:yes:
CAUTION : not all speakers are the same. I chose the JBL's because they are ...2 ohms of resistance ....( aren't effected by water either ) I'm super busy right now ...so I can't give a long technical reason for the 2 ohms ...... check E-bay for the ones I mentioned above ... you might not be able to get 528's , but the 508c is actually better..... the whole " 3 way thing " is mostly HYPE ...almost no one can tell the difference from the " 1 way speakers " .... Mike :thumbup:

Kredab
10-05-2017, 12:29 PM
CAUTION : not all speakers are the same. I chose the JBL's because they are ...2 ohms of resistance ....( aren't effected by water either ) I'm super busy right now ...so I can't give a long technical reason for the 2 ohms ...... check E-bay for the ones I mentioned above ... you might not be able to get 528's , but the 508c is actually better..... the whole " 3 way thing " is mostly HYPE ...almost no one can tell the difference from the " 1 way speakers " .... Mike :thumbup:

Mike,
Thanks for the info, just to clarify the 508c can be used in the 4 spots(front & Back). I will look up the video and check it out.......Thanks for making my day with your information

Kredab
10-05-2017, 01:36 PM

Mike,
Looking for New jbl speakers, like everything else model numbers change, a couple important things to look for
1) not cloth components
2) 4 ohm or less

Anything else, again thanks for your time... I didn't get a chance to meet you at Spyderfest, I will look you up for Spyderfest 2018

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-05-2017, 06:19 PM
Mike,
Looking for New jbl speakers, like everything else model numbers change, a couple important things to look for
1) not cloth components
2) 4 ohm or less

Anything else, again thanks for your time... I didn't get a chance to meet you at Spyderfest, I will look you up for Spyderfest 2018 Unfortunately ( for all us audio-phials ) the GTO 528 is no longer in production ( but I have seen them on E-bay at really good prices because of this ) I'm not sure about the 508c model ..... but they are still on E-bay ( I have seen them ) the real benefit from using 2 ohm speakers is ...it would be the same as doubling your AMP ... ( kind of expensive way to get this ) .... When I first did this I got a lot of Flack about 2 ohms ....three years later they are stilling pumping out HUGH Clear sounds ..... It's the 2 ohm thing. If I ever get a different Spyder I will be looking for the ones I suggested .......... I think either J&l or J&M makes a 2.3 ohm speaker but they are at least twice as expensive ..... good luck ... Mike .......... I'll at Maggie Valley for their Rally if you go look me up and you can hear mine ..... No one yet has said that they aren't awesome :clap::clap::clap:...... Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-05-2017, 09:33 PM
Mike,
Thanks for the info, just to clarify the 508c can be used in the 4 spots(front & Back). I will look up the video and check it out.......Thanks for making my day with your information Sorry I didn't get this post sooner ........... Initially had 4" JBL's in the rear ..... Then I decided to go Against everyone who said 5.25 " speakers will never fit .... I like a challenge ... So I went with the 508c because I got them dirt cheap :yikes::clap:....... This model has a separate Tweeter and a crossover .... I got it all into the rear OEM housing on my RT after enlarging the speaker hole to 4 5/8th in. ... Beadaholic posted video's and pics of How She did it ..... Although they aren't readily available they are out there in someone's stock room ... and I have seen them on E-bay heavily dis-counted ....put in a search with E-bay and they will notify you if they appear ..... Mike :thumbup: