PDA

View Full Version : Low Fuel Warning Lamp Question

HankD
10-03-2017, 06:34 AM
Maybe a kind of dumb question.....

I have a 2017 RT-S with the analog gauges (i.e. the digital bar gauges for fuel and temp are overridden). Where does the low fuel warning lamp show up, and what does it look like? I have checked the Owners Manual several times and didn't see any description. Wanted to make sure I knew, for obvious reasons.

Thanks for any help!
Hank

rustynail51
10-03-2017, 07:10 AM
when you turn on the bike watch the display all warning lights will flash on look for the one that looks like a small gas pump.

HankD
10-03-2017, 07:31 AM
when you turn on the bike watch the display all warning lights will flash on look for the one that looks like a small gas pump.

Well there's good idea! Good morning to play hooky and go for a ride, so I'll pay attention this morning when I turn the key on.

billybovine
10-03-2017, 08:07 AM
I got this picture from page 28 of your operator's guide. Circled the the low fuel warning light in red.

HankD
10-03-2017, 08:09 AM
I got this picture from page 28 of your operator's guide. Circled the the low fuel warning light in red.

Perfect! Thanks.

Docster
10-03-2017, 09:30 AM
Many questions to be answered and much to be learned by reading the Owners Manual.

OKey
10-03-2017, 10:01 AM

I got to tell you....this forum rocks! The members here really go overboard to educate us.
Thanks to all for the detail.

HankD
10-03-2017, 11:17 AM
I got to tell you....this forum rocks! The members here really go overboard to educate us.
Thanks to all for the detail.

Yep, I asked a question and got a detailed answer and was shown where I missed it in reading the Owners Manual. Can't ask for better than that!

ARtraveler
10-03-2017, 12:32 PM
If you have filled your tank to the "ring" and are getting the "usual" mileage (about 39 - 41 mpg), the refuel light should go on about 210 miles or so. Since I drive with a 998, we usually fill when her light goes on or slightly before. That's around 150 miles.

I do not like driving on or near empty. :yes::yes:

HankD
10-03-2017, 01:04 PM
If you have filled your tank to the "ring" and are getting the "usual" mileage (about 39 - 41 mpg), the refuel light should go on about 210 miles or so. Since I drive with a 998, we usually fill when her light goes on or slightly before. That's around 150 miles.

I do not like driving on or near empty. :yes::yes:

With my 1330 motor, I fill it to the ring. I have taken it out to 170 miles. The analog gauge was on somewhere less than 1/4 tank, but the light was not yet on. I went ahead and filled it up because I didn't feel like "experimenting". But this is good information to keep in the back of my head. Last I checked I was at about 35 mpg, but that was after some really hard/fast riding at speeds +80 mph. I'll check again after quieter riding.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-03-2017, 03:32 PM
I think I was @ 240 mi. when I ran out of Gas recently in my 14 RT ( 1330 engine ) After the light went on I went another 40 mi. before it died :yikes: ... I know I was pushing the limit, but I carry some Gas and thought I could make it to a pump .... I didn't slow down so I think I could have 43mi..... I usually drive fairly fast so my MPG's are a bit low ...( 36 -38 mpg ) .... Mike :thumbup:

HankD
10-03-2017, 05:33 PM
I think I was @ 240 mi. when I ran out of Gas recently in my 14 RT ( 1330 engine ) After the light went on I went another 40 mi. before it died :yikes: ... I know I was pushing the limit, but I carry some Gas and thought I could make it to a pump .... I didn't slow down so I think I could have 43mi..... I usually drive fairly fast so my MPG's are a bit low ...( 36 -38 mpg ) .... Mike :thumbup:

Yes, your previous post about running out of gas is what made me start looking for where the low fuel warning light was (my original post).

Ok, so 200-210 miles till the low fuel lamp, then 40 miles or so until I can look forward to walking.

Good info.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-03-2017, 08:04 PM
Yes, your previous post about running out of gas is what made me start looking for where the low fuel warning light was (my original post).

Ok, so 200-210 miles till the low fuel lamp, then 40 miles or so until I can look forward to walking.

Good info. My 40 miles isn't a guarantee .... But so many folks here have asked this question I wanted to give a REAL life experience as sort of a barometer..... I had extra gas so I wasn't worried , but even if you ride hard ...35 miles would be safe on a 1330 engine ............ some people have commented about the folks who check their MPG's regularly are Cheap-o's .... Personally I don't do it for that reason .... #1 if you know , then if it drops that is a signal that something has changed in the engine /trans area .......... and #2....if you know , you can pretty accurately estimate your Limits - gas wise ..... Mike :thumbup:

scooterexpress
10-04-2017, 06:27 AM
read a manual are kidding that's like reading a map who does that?? when there's this forum to get all the answers we all need from time to time.(the he** with reading:roflblack:) waste of time when you should be out ryding right.:riding:

HankD
10-04-2017, 09:05 AM
read a manual are kidding that's like reading a map who does that?? when there's this forum to get all the answers we all need from time to time.(the he** with reading:roflblack:) waste of time when you should be out ryding right.:riding:

The first thing I do when I buy a new product is throw the instructions away. It's a guy thing....:clap::ohyea:

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-04-2017, 11:40 AM

Good info.
If you drive gently under 60 mph. Drive 80 on an Interstate into a head wind you'll be walking at about 180 miles!

ARtraveler
10-04-2017, 02:23 PM
Think of fuel gauges and fuel warning lights as "ballpark" indicators. They are not infallible, but "indicators." When I start getting close to 140 or so on the 998, or 200 or so on the 1330, I am thinking--time to start thinking about a gas fill up. Most of the time, I am ready for a stretch anyway.

Doing a few "test tanks" and making some MPG calculations will give you an idea what "your" machine will do. With all the above, you should be good to go. :yes:

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-04-2017, 06:42 PM
Think of fuel gauges and warning lights as "ballpark" indicators. They are not infallible, but "indicators." When I start getting close to 140 or so on the 998, or 200 or so on the 1330, I am thinking--time to start thinking about a gas fill up. Most of the time, I am ready for a stretch anyway.

Doing a few "test tanks" and making some MPG calculations will give you an idea what "your" machine will do. With all the above, you should be good to go. :yes: You are a WISE man AK :clap::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:..........Mike :bbq: