PDA

View Full Version : IPod or ???

Tyris
10-01-2017, 07:04 PM
Anything other than an ipod able to take advantage of the controls on the handlebars of 2016 RT. Been using spodify but no clue as to hooking up phone to handlebars to control music.

SpyderAnn01
10-01-2017, 07:30 PM
On the 17 F3T you can plug your IPhone in on the USB and you can use the handlebar controls for music. I know that wasn't an option on the 14 RT but it sure is nice in the F3T. Have you tried that on your 16?

DGoebel
10-01-2017, 08:08 PM
If an IPOD is connected with the proper cable to the RT, the front (left handlebar) mode, set, controls do work the IPOD when stopped. When moving you can skip songs or volume up or down, or mute only. I think that's on any RT with the apple connector adapter to the trunk jack on the right. It's in the Manual, Audio Controls, IPOD section.

SpyderAnn01
10-01-2017, 08:33 PM
If an IPOD is connected with the proper cable to the RT, the front (left handlebar) mode, set, controls do work the IPOD when stopped. When moving you can skip songs or volume up or down, or mute only. I think that's on any RT with the apple connector adapter to the trunk jack on the right. It's in the Manual, Audio Controls, IPOD section.

David, I think he's trying to use something other than an Ipod and still be able to use the handlebar controls for it.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-01-2017, 09:57 PM
Somebody here some time ago discussed and/or ordered an adapter that would make an Android player simulate an iPod for control purposes. I don't recall if he ever got back to let us know the outcome. It was built for automobile use I believe.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-01-2017, 10:07 PM
I found the thread here: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?102615-New-radio-interface-product&p=1305549#post1305549

Tyris
10-01-2017, 11:09 PM
Subscribed to spotify just last nite, got it on my home laptop, my work phone and my Samsung8Note. I have on old Ipod Classic that I move between my car and my trike and trying to get spotify to work on my trike.

Owners manual speaks mostly of Ipods but little else, can do a flash drive but doesn't appear that you can do anything other than play the songs, can't shuffle, can advance, but no playlists or anything like that.

Can put the phone in my pocket and use earbuds, but would just as soon try to utilize the speakers and use the buttons available, perhaps the new 2018's will have this capability but since I bought mine 5/1/17 that's not really an option.

I saw there was a bluetooth speaker that can be placed on regular motorcycle but doesn't look like mount will work with spyder handlebars, this would allow me to use phone and not have the earbuds and would give me playlist options, an ok option if I cannot get spotify to work through the trike.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-01-2017, 11:36 PM
Is your phone iPhone or Android? If iPhone can you use it as an iPod connected in the trunk? If so, then do the iPod controls also control Spotify? If it's an Android get a BT receiver that plugs into an iPod connector. Connect the receiver in the trunk and BT connect the phone to it and keep the phone up front on a cradle or in your pocket. I have my phone play Pandora through the BT receiver into the bike audio. It shows up as Aux so there is no controlling it from the handlebars which is why it's in a cradle where I can reach it.

Otherwise, for Android, the Grom audio unit mentioned in the post above is probably your only option, if it is a viable option.

TRLBLZR1
10-03-2017, 09:36 PM
Music App Tip: "Slacker" (Has an off-line mode after you select entire stations of your music choice for download to phone.) Only $4 a month! (Works AWESOME on my old Android 4.3 phone and there's also an app for iPhones.)

Tyris
09-22-2018, 06:03 PM
So plugged my Samsung Note 8 type C into the usb cable in 2016 RT as I am trying to play Spotify through phone through speakers. Didn't work through the USB option and through the AUX option got a "No files" message.

Is there a cable that could run under the seat and mount phone on handlebars that would plug into the 3.5 mm Audio cable in the trunk?

I did try going with the bluetooth receiver into the audio cable but experienced quite a few drops for some reason and I thought the sound was of lower quality than being hard-wired.

Fire34
09-23-2018, 08:57 AM
A bluetooth device that I have on the trumk. I have it on my phone and when we go for rides I just connect my phone and use the Aux setting on the bike. we either use my amazon playlist or pandora whichever button gets pressed first, we dont care to shuffle etc. just listen. Got the bluetooth adapter from Lamonster works great

Dave

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-23-2018, 11:28 AM
I did try going with the bluetooth receiver into the audio cable but experienced quite a few drops for some reason and I thought the sound was of lower quality than being hard-wired.
I'm inclined to think that either your BT adapter or your phone has a problem handling BT, more likely your BT adapter. I have two BT adapters, one for audio in the trunk, and one up front plugged into the GPS input for my Samsung Tab A tablet that I use for GPS. Once paired and connected I've never had a problem of drop outs.

Tyris
09-23-2018, 05:55 PM
A bluetooth device that I have on the trumk. I have it on my phone and when we go for rides I just connect my phone and use the Aux setting on the bike. we either use my amazon playlist or pandora whichever button gets pressed first, we dont care to shuffle etc. just listen. Got the bluetooth adapter from Lamonster works great

Dave

Any specific bluetooth adapter?

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-24-2018, 12:09 AM
Any specific bluetooth adapter?

I'd say go with this one. http://www.lamonstergarage.com/bluetooth-receiver-for-rt-f3t-st-br1/ (http://www.lamonstergarage.com/bluetooth-receiver-for-rt-f3t-st-br1/) Lamont don't sell no junk if he can help it! :thumbup:

There are dozens of them out there, most no name or odd ball name and you have no way of knowing how good they are. I bought mine from Amazon, or maybe eBay, accepting the gamble about them being good or not. I may have bought one from a cardboard display at Lowes. In any case I lucked out and came out a winner.