PDA

View Full Version : Smoke After Sitting Up

jthornton
10-01-2017, 05:51 PM
I started the 2012 RT yesterday to ride to Cape figuring I better see if it ran ok before next weekend ride to Murry Ky for the awesome ride there and a huge cloud of white smoke came out. Last time it ran was during the ride to Spyders on the Bayou... yea I've been that busy this summer. Most of you know the RT got a new engine after 2016 Spyders on the Bayou... engine blew up on the I310 bridge over the Mississippi, took most of the summer of 2016 to get the new engine. So anyone in the know have an idea what caused the smoke? Subsequence starts no smoke.

JT

youngers
10-01-2017, 05:59 PM
hey guy , think of it like a car engine , white smoke , I think is usually water in the combustion area ? I think that is right { I looked up white smoke ... it is coolant in the combustion area } double check my theory , and panic later ---- is there a warrenty on the engine work ? the head gaskets might not have seated right

Peter Aawen
10-01-2017, 06:28 PM
OR, it coulda just been that you haven't run it for a while & the temperature variations since you last did run it &/or since you last washed it had collected a little condensation in the exhaust that only burnt off as you started it this time.... :dontknow:

One burst of white smoke could be a head gasket issue, but if it's never repeated, even after you leave your bike standing over night or for a day or two, is more likely to have been just some collected condensation in the exhaust - so for now, don't panic, just keep a close eye on your temp gauge while you ride (anything NOT in the red is OK!) & check your coolant level before your next couple of dozen runs (but only take the cap off for checking when the coolant is cold!) and yeah, watch for more white smoke on start up too. No change in the coolant level & no (or minimal) white smoke ever again means that first occurrence is unlikely to be anything more than condensation after washing or ambient temp variations, especially if it's been humid. It's really only when you get a big burst of white smoke EVERY time you start up after it's been sitting for more'n an hour or so or if the temp needlessly climbs right up onto that HOT section that you need to start worrying about heads & gaskets or other issues..... :sour:

Easy Rider
10-01-2017, 07:29 PM
OR, it coulda just been that you haven't run it for a while & the temperature variations since you last did run it &/or since you last washed it had collected a little condensation in the exhaust that only burnt off as you started it this time.... :dontknow:

OR it could be a puff of oil being burned.
A small amount of oil will produce white smoke too; it takes a LOT to make the characteristic blue smoke.

I vote for not worrying about it as long as it doesn't come back.

But I would check the fluids closer the next couple of rides.

jthornton
10-02-2017, 05:55 AM
I know something has to be wrong, the old engine never did that even after sitting all winter... I'll keep looking.

Thanks
JT

trikermutha
10-02-2017, 07:05 AM
sticky exhaust valve?

Easy Rider
10-02-2017, 07:12 AM
I know something has to be wrong, the old engine never did that even after sitting all winter... I'll keep looking.

How many miles on the "new" engine ?
And was it really new or a re-build ??

Sometimes it takes a while for new rings to seal good.

jthornton
10-02-2017, 07:30 AM
How many miles on the "new" engine ?
And was it really new or a re-build ??

Sometimes it takes a while for new rings to seal good.

2,625 miles on the "new" engine.
Nothing from the old engine was used it was total trash and had to be send back to BRP.

My first engine didn't do that so I doubt that break in is the issue.

JT

Easy Rider
10-02-2017, 04:34 PM
My first engine didn't do that so I doubt that break in is the issue.

JT

I understand that you got a whole DIFFERENT engine.
The question is: Was it a factory new engine.......or one that was rebuilt, maybe even in a non-factory setting ?

A factory new engine has some kind of "break-in" procedure done on it. A rebuild might not.

Anyhow, two thousand miles should be enough to make that a moot point.......unless the new engine has some kind of a defect too.

I wish you the best of luck.
You probably should at least report your observation to the dealer so there will be a record of it......just incase.