PDA

View Full Version : Relieving a Helmet Pressure Point?

newbert
10-01-2017, 03:14 PM
My helmet (3 months old) has developed a pressure point about 1 inch above my right eye-brow. It starts tgo really bother me after 20-30 minutes of riding. I previously was able to work out a pressure point in the cheekbones by putting a small soccer ball in the helmet for a few nights. That worked well then, but does nothing for this particular location.

Does anyone have any ideas to try to relieving this pressure point above the right eye?

Thanks!

PrairieSpyder
10-01-2017, 03:51 PM
Being a new helmet, I'm sure you don't want to hear that you need something better shaped for your head. I have a similar problem with Nolan helmets, which are just too round for my head.

But if you're committed to keeping it, you may be able to acquire a lining for the next size bigger. If you bought it from some place like Revzilla, their consultants can advise you on what will work.

Lew L
10-01-2017, 04:04 PM
I was told by a helmet sales person that one could take a spoon and press the foam at the pressure spot. I have taken a dremel tool with a wire wheel and feathered the tight spot to be much more comfy. BUT----- I just bought a new helmet ( Modular HJC) that seems to fit my head much better.

Kaos

Peter Aawen
10-01-2017, 08:34 PM
The safest & best (for your protection) way to get a helmet that fits properly is unarguably to buy a helmet that closely fits your head shape & then get the appropriately sized/thickness liner installed that means it firmly & evenly holds on to your head everywhere it touches!! If your full face helmet doesn't firmly hold onto your head all over & your cheekbones then it's TOO BIG & it isn't as safe or protective as it could be!! A new helmet SHOULD be tight & even borderline uncomfortable all over your head, and it SHOULD take a few days of wearing it to 'wear it into shape' so there's no really painful spots as opposed to tight spots - if you choose one that is comfy from the first fitting, then IT's TOO LOOSE & it won't protect your head the way it should if the worst happens!! It should be obvious to those looking on when you've just taken your new helmet off from the 'pressure flush' it leaves on your forehead & cheeks/face - if you choose a helmet that doesn't muss your 'do taking it off then it's not only likely that it's not gonna save your head if you have a serious prang, it will quite likely snap your neck or fly right off so you can crack your head like an egg hitting the pavement at speed!! Generally speaking, good quality Tight helmets are the best helmets for protecting you, BUT, all that said, smallish & painful pressure spots are not a good thing! :shocked:

Most good quality helmets DO have a variety of sizes &/or shapes aimed at fitting most of the different shaped heads there are around the place, and most have a variety of liner thicknesses to allow you to 'fine-tune' your perfect fit, even if the outlet you are dealing with doesn't stock all those shapes, sizes, or liners. So you could try tracking down the best liner for you.... Revzilla is really good at doing that! Buuut, failing that, using a spoon or similar to compress the HD polystyrene looking stuff under the liner can work as a last resort (no flaming intended Kaos, it works!) altho if you've already tried that with the liner in place, you might need to either remove the liner entirely (most are clip in these days) or carefully lift/peel the liner off the white polystyrene looking stuff & then with a SHARP knife, very carefully & little by little shave it down to suit the bumps & bulges of your head!! If you take too much off, you've stuffed it, cos there's NO SAFE way of adding replacement material once that polystyrene stuff has gone!! In that case, adding a thin layer of foam or an even thicker liner can make it more comfy, but it will also reduce/compromise the protective ability of the helmet, and really, why are you wearing a helmet in the first place?? :dontknow:

So Newbert, I'm not having a go here, but seriously asking, is it really a 'pressure point' that's causing potentially unbearable pain, or is it the only tight spot on an otherwise OK fitting helmet, or is it just a poorly fitting helmet?? Only you can really answer that, but from reading your posts, first the cheekbones, & now this.... :dontknow:

Peteoz
10-01-2017, 08:38 PM
One of the best sites that I have found to give you helmet shapes is Webbikeworld. They do great reviews of most helmets, and once you have determined whether you are mid-oval, round-oval etc etc, they are usually spot on.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

Pete

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-01-2017, 09:43 PM
One of the best sites that I have found to give you helmet shapes is Webbikeworld. They do great reviews of most helmets, and once you have determined whether you are mid-oval, round-oval etc etc, they are usually spot on.

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

Pete
One problem. There are no dates that I can find on their reviews.

asp125
10-01-2017, 09:49 PM
I've done the spoon trick to small areas of an ill fitting helmet without worry. But the best way is to get one that fits.