PDA

View Full Version : Garage Door Opener Maintenance?

newbert
09-30-2017, 01:31 PM
My garage door opener uses a chain (similar to a bicycle's). I haven't had it serviced/maintained in any way in perhaps 5 years (and it's used A LOT).

This week my local paper recommended that it be lubed every 3 months! :shocked: So, I guess that it's time to do something.

What product do you guys use to lube the opener and chain? (The easier to use, the better -- Perhaps there's some spray on product that would be appropriate to use?).

Thanks!

BoilerAnimal
09-30-2017, 02:21 PM
Silicon spray. No mess, no fuss! There's more to do than just lubrication. Google garage door maintenance to find what all you need to do and how.

RinconRyder
09-30-2017, 02:43 PM
I used to use just plain old WD-40 (with a rag behind the spray to catch drips). The opener was still working just fine when I replaced it after over 30 years of operation. I went with a belt drive this time and it is SO much quieter. Should have done that 20 years ago.

ofdave
09-30-2017, 03:13 PM
some door companies sell a lube product or find it at a home improvement store
I have used motorcycle chain lube and it works fine, no drips, no runs

trikermutha
09-30-2017, 03:17 PM
Lubriplate chain and cable fluid. Best stuff out there IMO

Only other choice that was close was Harley Chain and Cable fluid

Lew L
09-30-2017, 03:52 PM
Thanks for the reminder. Just did one, three to go. Used to use m/c chain lube, now using LPS spray on chain and hinges. Adjusted chain which of course changed the down adjustment-----but that's EASY.

Kaos

trikermutha
09-30-2017, 06:08 PM
Now that I think about it I need to spray my garage door springs too.. :thumbup:

Mazo EMS2
09-30-2017, 06:14 PM
I use WD40 too. On all moving parts. Don't forget the hinges on the door panels

2Paw
09-30-2017, 07:07 PM
WD-40 is a solvent not a lube although is does have some lube qualities. I use it to clean my shotguns. I remember just using motor oil on my bikes chain. Don't forget to lube any pulleys that are part of the system.

DGoebel
09-30-2017, 08:17 PM
I used to use just plain old WD-40 (with a rag behind the spray to catch drips). The opener was still working just fine when I replaced it after over 30 years of operation. I went with a belt drive this time and it is SO much quieter. Should have done that 20 years ago.
DAMNITALLTOH*** RinconRyder, I cannot get all my Spyder Farkling done when you go and tell me about a BELT DRIVE Garage door opener!!!! Now I gotta replace TWO loud as he** old fashioned chaindrive garage door openers that can literally wake the dead with some Whisper quiets....

Easy Rider
09-30-2017, 08:22 PM
I used to use just plain old WD-40

WD40 is NOT a good lubricant. Never was intended to be.

M109Dreamer
10-04-2017, 09:39 AM
I use PB Blaster Garage Door Lube and has been pretty good to me.

billybovine
10-04-2017, 09:53 AM
I have a pair of belt drive openers. So just need to lube the doors from time to time.

What I really had a problem with is leaving the stupid things open. It's wonder I have not been robbed blind. So a couple weeks ago. I decided to do something about it. At first I was thinking old school and hooking some lights or something. Then I found out there is an app for that. Added a little hardware that pairs with my wifi and controls the doors. Installed an app on my phone. I can now check if my doors are open on my phone. Close or open them from my phone. But for me best of all. I setup a notification so that if either of the doors is open for more than 45 minutes. I will get a notification.

RinconRyder
10-04-2017, 12:41 PM
WD40 is NOT a good lubricant. Never was intended to be.

Well, the chain lasted for 36 years and was still working just fine when I took it off. I replaced the whole unit because it was so old it didn't have any of the safety features and I had my granddaughter living here. I imagine it is still in use somewhere hauling a door up and down on the other side of the tracks because someone picked it up very quickly.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-04-2017, 06:03 PM
I have a pair of belt drive openers. So just need to lube the doors from time to time.

What I really had a problem with is leaving the stupid things open. It's wonder I have not been robbed blind. So a couple weeks ago. I decided to do something about it. At first I was thinking old school and hooking some lights or something. Then I found out there is an app for that. Added a little hardware that pairs with my wifi and controls the doors. Installed an app on my phone. I can now check if my doors are open on my phone. Close or open them from my phone. But for me best of all. I setup a notification so that if either of the doors is open for more than 45 minutes. I will get a notification.

What's the app? I need it! I've thinking for 20 years about fixing up some sort of light in the kitchen that will let me know if a garage door is left open!

Easy Rider
10-04-2017, 06:09 PM
Well, the chain lasted for 36 years and was still working just fine when I took it off.

None of that changes the basic characteristics of WD40.
You got lucky. Or the parts you are "lubricating" are so brute force in their operation that they don't need a good lubricant.

RinconRyder
10-04-2017, 10:18 PM
DAMNITALLTOH*** RinconRyder, I cannot get all my Spyder Farkling done when you go and tell me about a BELT DRIVE Garage door opener!!!! Now I gotta replace TWO loud as he** old fashioned chaindrive garage door openers that can literally wake the dead with some Whisper quiets....

I went with a Chamberlain WD832KEV from Home Depot. Easy installation and VERY quiet. I think it ran just over $200.

billybovine
10-05-2017, 08:29 AM
What's the app? I need it! I've thinking for 20 years about fixing up some sort of light in the kitchen that will let me know if a garage door is left open!

My Q smartphone control. Available from google or apple. The hardware needed depends on your opener. If it says wifi on the side of the opener. No hardware needed. If it has My Q on it or the wall control. Then you need a box that plugs into your router. I have neither. So I had to get a box that mounts to garage ceiling and sensors to mount to each door. https://www.chamberlain.com/smartphone-control-products/myq-garage/model-myq-g0201. If your opener has dip switches in the remote to change the code or does not have sensors at the bottom of the garage door. As far as I know there is nothing available to connect to wifi.

Bob Denman
10-05-2017, 11:25 AM
I still have a small supply of bar lube for the chainsaw that I used to own: I use that on mine. :thumbup:
It stays where you put it! :D