PDA

View Full Version : CHANGING THE TEMPER OF A COIL SPRING

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-28-2017, 08:06 PM
Does anyone know if you heat a coil spring ( enough ) can the strength of the spring be changed ??? .... I want less strength , how much heat is needed to accomplish this ( if it can be done )......Thanks .. Mike :thumbup:

JerryB
09-28-2017, 08:58 PM
Hi Mike,

Re: CHANGING THE TEMPER OF A COIL SPRING (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?108414-CHANGING-THE-TEMPER-OF-A-COIL-SPRING)

You will not really be changing the temper. That would mean annealling & then re-heat treating it/them.

You can get less strength; actually, you would be eliminating all of the strength. I would suggest working ( heating ) at the end of a coil(s) depending upon the actual design of the spring(s).

Effectively, you are taking the heat treatment/spring rate out of the spring(s) by heating them/it.

I am thinking that maybe this is on that new replica car that you bought. If so, I would be very, very careful with playing around with the suspension. I would look for springs with a different spring rate that would fit. They can be very hard to find ( if never to be found ).

You might Google spring manufacturers and then contact a couple of them for their input.

Just my $0.20, it is worth what you paid for it. :yikes:

Jerry Baumchen
A long-time retired Mech Engr; but I did study spring rates about 34 lifetimes ago.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-28-2017, 09:22 PM
Hi Mike,

Re: CHANGING THE TEMPER OF A COIL SPRING (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?108414-CHANGING-THE-TEMPER-OF-A-COIL-SPRING)

You will not really be changing the temper. That would mean annealling & then re-heat treating it/them.

You can get less strength; actually, you would be eliminating all of the strength. I would suggest working ( heating ) at the end of a coil(s) depending upon the actual design of the spring(s).

Effectively, you are taking the heat treatment/spring rate out of the spring(s) by heating them/it.

I am thinking that maybe this is on that new replica car that you bought. If so, I would be very, very careful with playing around with the suspension. I would look for springs with a different spring rate that would fit. They can be very hard to find ( if never to be found ).

You might Google spring manufacturers and then contact a couple of them for their input.

Just my $0.20, it is worth what you paid for it. :yikes:

Jerry Baumchen
A long-time retired Mech Engr; but I did study spring rates about 34 lifetimes ago.
Thanks for your insight on this..... The springs are on my Cub Cadet lawn tractor ...the rear axel / frame has NO suspension at all .... they put springs under the rear bottom edge of the ( ala HD hardtail system ) these springs MIGHT compress a bit if I weighed A 1000lbs .... I'm not even close to that weight . the seat itself is hard as a rock ... so that's no help either ... I've looked around for a spring I could swap out with , but no luck to date ..... Thanks again ...... Mike :thumbup:

DGoebel
09-28-2017, 09:27 PM
Mike, my Huskvarna Riding mower has the same system, the seats /springs are pretty cushy.

JerryB
09-28-2017, 09:55 PM
Hi Mike,

Re: The springs are on my Cub Cadet lawn tractor

OK, that helps; some. Can you offer something in the way of a description. Are they a simple coil spring; fairly common item depending upon the strength that you need. Do they taper from on end to the other; there are some springs in the parachute industry that do this.

I've dealt with these guys ( many, many years ago ); give them a call, it is a free call:

https://benzspring.com/

Jerry Baumchen

PS) If all else fails, buy a better pad to sit on. :yes:

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-29-2017, 12:03 AM
You're good at conjuring up things, Mike. Take the spring out and replace it with a air shock bag. You could probably even make one. Or how about a gas strut of some sort? Maybe even a block of foam rubber.

Machinegunner
09-29-2017, 10:03 AM
Why not just carry a brick on your lap?????? Seriously, what would happen if you just shortened it?

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-29-2017, 11:27 AM
Why not just carry a brick on your lap?????? Seriously, what would happen if you just shortened it?
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ...... Then I would have short spring that still takes 1000lbs before it compresses even a little ..... but thanks for responding :thumbup:.....Mike

Bob Denman
09-29-2017, 11:37 AM
I think that D has the right idea: take a spring out, and go shopping for springs from a different source.
Try a Hardware store. They might also be able to fix you up with something that you can make work! :thumbup:

BajaRon
09-29-2017, 12:39 PM
I think that D has the right idea: take a spring out, and go shopping for springs from a different source.
Try a Hardware store. They might also be able to fix you up with something that you can make work! :thumbup:

:agree:

You have a very good chance of destroying the springs you have and a very small chance of ending up with what you want. I'd do the 'Shop & Swap' thing.

Go to a mower shop that has a bunch of dead mowers in the back and cannibalize one of those. Or, go to a Home Depot - Lowes, etc. Find a mower with springs that will work for you and order those parts from the manufacturer.

Good Luck!

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-29-2017, 01:31 PM
:agree:

You have a very good chance of destroying the springs you have and a very small chance of ending up with what you want. I'd do the 'Shop & Swap' thing.

Go to a mower shop that has a bunch of dead mowers in the back and cannibalize one of those. Or, go to a Home Depot - Lowes, etc. Find a mower with springs that will work for you and order those parts from the manufacturer.

Good Luck!
:agree::agree: also ....but you know me, if something is even RE-MOTELY possible I'll try it :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: PS I'm going to Maggie Valley thing ..... if you are you'll get the Pads there if not I'll deliver in person .... I'm getting there on Sun ...to get some riding in before I start Venturing ......... I have some stuff I think you like for your Spyder ..... Mike ........PM me your physical address so I can find you :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ....... I can google map it ....:thumbup: