PDA

View Full Version : CAN A 50 AMP BATTERY CHARGER DO THIS

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-28-2017, 08:02 PM
I need to activate a power window in a car that doesn't have a battery ..... can a battery charger ( see above ) be able to send enough power to the window motor to move the glass ............. Thanks Mike :thumbup:

r1100rider
09-28-2017, 08:06 PM
I need to activate a power window in a car that doesn't have a battery ..... can a battery charger ( see above ) be able to send enough power to the window motor to move the glass ............. Thanks Mike :thumbup:it will probably trip the circuit breaker in the charger use jumper cables and a car battery

Easy Rider
09-28-2017, 08:09 PM
It can't hurt. Give it a try.

50 amps should be plenty just for one window motor.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-28-2017, 08:36 PM
it will probably trip the circuit breaker in the charger use jumper cables and a car battery
:agree: .... THIS WAS MY FIRST THOUGHT ALSO .....However the car is in a garage and getting cables to it isn't possible ............ However your comment made me thing of how to make an extension :thumbup:... I have some 10ga. house electrical cable that I can use to try this ...... Thanks , Mike :thumbup:

WA5VHU
09-28-2017, 09:23 PM
Careful about connecting chargers to vehicles with no battery, the no load charger voltage may be too high or spikes may damage the vehicle electronics. A jump from another battery is much safer.

Bfromla
09-28-2017, 11:33 PM
:agree: .... THIS WAS MY FIRST THOUGHT ALSO .....However the car is in a garage and getting cables to it isn't possible ............ However your comment made me thing of how to make an extension :thumbup:... I have some 10ga. house electrical cable that I can use to try this ...... Thanks , Mike :thumbup:

:lecturef_smilie: Just be sure to add a inline fuse!:yikes: find what fuse the windows use in the car anyway & Dont go higher. If a short does happen you will have less protection to & around the battery. If it blows it won't be under a hood likely close proximity to you while holding wires. In a garage:(

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-28-2017, 11:35 PM
Careful about connecting chargers to vehicles with no battery, the no load charger voltage may be too high or spikes may damage the vehicle electronics.
In which case I would just make sure the headlights are turned on first. They'll draw enough power to avoid any kind of spike. Maybe leave the park lights on while the charger is connected. A 50 amp charger will be way more than enough to run the window motor and some lights all at the same time. But I don't think a charger will put out any real spike enough to worry about.

trikermutha
09-28-2017, 11:42 PM
about that jump pack you bought??? That should work too

2dogs
09-29-2017, 12:48 AM
Simply pull a 12v battery from another vehicle, hook it up like you would a normal battery and then move your window. :gaah:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-29-2017, 08:01 AM
about that jump pack you bought??? That should work too
:yes:... Wow - never gave that as a possibility ..... Plus I've been hoping my Spyder wouldn't start :yikes: , just so I could find if it worked .......... Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-29-2017, 08:07 AM
Simply pull a 12v battery from another vehicle, hook it up like you would a normal battery and then move your window. :gaah:
:agree: .... However I have two veh's that are not Battery Swapping friendly ... My Toyt is difficult to remove and the Car I would put it in , can only be done from underneath ( stupid placement ) but thanks for responding :thumbup::thumbup:..... Mike :bbq:

manxman
09-29-2017, 09:27 AM
It's not the amps, it needs volts, 12 of them....

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-29-2017, 09:55 AM
It's not the amps, it needs volts, 12 of them....
:hun: .... so if I use 12 volt 1 amp charger this will work ????? ............. than you ..... Mike :thumbup:

Machinegunner
09-29-2017, 10:06 AM
No, AMPs is what does the work.

ofdave
09-29-2017, 01:16 PM

that is entirely too simple,
all the very complicated ways listed would take way more time and energy

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-29-2017, 01:20 PM
that is entirely too simple,
all the very complicated ways listed would take way more time and energy
:thumbup::roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: ... Mike ............... I'm going to try my Lithium jumper first ........Thanks , Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-29-2017, 01:23 PM
No, AMPs is what does the work. I WAS BEING sarcastic :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack: ..........silly answers gets silly responses :lecturef_smilie: :yes::yes:.........Thanks - how you guys doing .......Mike :bbq:

stevencovert
09-29-2017, 01:39 PM
Remember a charger is current limited! You cannot hurt it in most cases (it has built in thermal protection). I agree, simply connect the charger to the battery terminals/connectors. The window motor is on it's own fuse in the cage in case it is shorted out or bad. 50 amps is far more than the motor needs, should work fine.

Bfromla
09-30-2017, 01:36 AM
:agree: .... However I have two veh's that are not Battery Swapping friendly ... My Toyt is difficult to remove and the Car I would put it in , can only be done from underneath ( stupid placement ) but thanks for responding :thumbup::thumbup:..... Mike :bbq:
:dontknow:What about just reaching the terminal cables? They should have enough slack u can hook jump cables to them (with something keeping them apart)then reach a spare battery.
Better yet just 12VDC & only a window motor u can try a small 154193 deer camp battery used for deer feeders, & emergency exit lights, rechargeable & quite handy.
sorry I didn't think of before & it will work well with the 10g wire you mentioned earlier just get the right female spade ends & at least a 5a fuse on the positive side somehow. It may blow but better it than something else & will let you know window may be a lost cause before too much expense :thumbup:

2dogs
09-30-2017, 01:12 PM
I think BlueKnight just started this thread to screw with whoever would respond. :roflblack: It's a "got yea" thread.:joke:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-30-2017, 01:58 PM
I think BlueKnight just started this thread to screw with whoever would respond. :roflblack: It's a "got yea" thread.:joke:
:yikes: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: :lecturef_smilie:.........Now I remember why I have you on my IGNORE LIST :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:....Mike :thumbup:

2dogs
09-30-2017, 09:12 PM
you would have never seen my post. :ohyea: Tag you're it now. By the way, do you know what the he!! is going on in Bangor? PM me if you know. Folks out here are asking questions.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-01-2017, 12:53 AM
you would have never seen my post. :ohyea: Tag you're it now. By the way, do you know what the he!! is going on in Bangor? PM me if you know. Folks out here are asking questions. For various reasons some folks here have annoyed me enough to put them there .... this LIST is to remind me to NEVER ANNOY them with any helpful advice. ...I only read their posts .........The Bangor thing sounds ominous , but this is the first I've heard of anything ..... Keep the Forum posted ....Thanks, Mike :thumbup:

Machinegunner
10-01-2017, 09:31 AM
Mike, everything here is pretty much normal. But Frenchie needs surgery to fix sinus cavity damaged in an old accident (horrible Headaches). My ammo cans started to break the anchor points on the frame. I have it at a custom trike builder's to get repaired. Google SS Trikes. This guy makes almost every part in house by himself. Very impressed.

BLUEKNIGHT911
10-01-2017, 10:30 AM
Mike, everything here is pretty much normal. But Frenchie needs surgery to fix sinus cavity damaged in an old accident (horrible Headaches). My ammo cans started to break the anchor points on the frame. I have it at a custom trike builder's to get repaired. Google SS Trikes. This guy makes almost every part in house by himself. Very impressed. Send my best to Frenchie - sorry to hear about that surgery :yikes: .............That " GUY " might be ME ..:roflblack::roflblack: ............Mike :thumbup::thumbup: