PDA

View Full Version : Screeching/whining noise between 34 & 47 mph! Any ideas/fixes?

faithit
09-28-2017, 08:25 AM
I have a 2013 RS Limited with 25,000 miles purchased new in '14 as a leftover; recently it has developed a loud screeching/whine between 34 & 47 mph
Dealer installed new wheel bearings; front sprocket & belt to no effect after consultation with BPR who claim they are
baffled in spite of numerous other complaints on this issue
I'm half deaf & the noise borders on unbearable, can't imagine what one with normal hearing would experience
Any ideas

Highwayman2013
09-28-2017, 08:30 AM
Try putting a small Dab of grease on the belt. On our 2012 I usd a very small dab of synthetic caliper grease. Stopped our squealing.

tip
09-28-2017, 08:36 AM
Hi,
Sorry to hear about the problem. I am on my second '17 F3 because of my noise. After 5000 + miles on this one
it is getting worse - noise is more spread - comes in and out around 20 mph and goes up to the upper 50's.
After replacing everything that rotated from the front pulley to the rear wheel and bearings it was still there.
Last effort was to replace the transmission - that also failed. new bike did not help either.
BRP has a problem - sounds like an old - old car with all straight cut gears in a worn out transmission.
Mine is not affected by gear selection - only speed.
Please keep us posted as to what BRP decides.
Paid way too much for this bike to hear such a noise!!,
Good luck and be safe,
Tip

SPYD3R
09-28-2017, 08:43 AM
i also had that problem... :gaah:
so i told her to stay home.... :roflblack:

Easy Rider
09-28-2017, 08:22 PM
Try putting a small Dab of grease on the belt. On our 2012 I usd a very small dab of synthetic caliper grease. Stopped our squealing.

Another old mechanics "trick" involved putting a dab of RTV on the BACK of brake pads.

Dragging or oscillating pads can give some LOUD noises.

But the shop(s) surely have considered/tested for that.......right ?? :dontknow:

faithit
09-29-2017, 06:42 AM
Hi all
Thanks for your responses: will pass them on to the dealer
BRP's recent response was: they are unable to assist--
quote: "BRP will be unable to comply with your request for
assistance...This is BRP's final decision on this matter."

mavrik
09-29-2017, 08:08 AM
there has to be a way to narrow down the area it is coming from. Sorry to hear about your issues, obviously it is not right because everyone would be hearing it if it was correct. I guarantee then BRP would do something about it!

timeless
09-29-2017, 08:21 AM
squealing noise that was hard to determine where it was coming from ( I also am extremely hard of hearing), I put some lube on the belt but that did not help much. However when I installed a new back tire I put some lube on the rubber pieces for the back sprocket to wheel assembly and that took care of almost all of my noise.

:yes:

I have a 2013 RS Limited with 25,000 miles purchased new in '14 as a leftover; recently it has developed a loud screeching/whine between 34 & 47 mph
Dealer installed new wheel bearings; front sprocket & belt to no effect after consultation with BPR who claim they are
baffled in spite of numerous other complaints on this issue
I'm half deaf & the noise borders on unbearable, can't imagine what one with normal hearing would experience
Any ideas

Little Blue
10-01-2017, 12:00 PM
My 2016 RTL was very quiet till 6,000 miles. Then it developed a whining noise at 35+ MPR. Back in the old days of chain drive I would adjust the chain and or lube it. The noise usually went away. Checked my belt and it looked okay. Took the bike to the dealer and told them. Dealer said 'new one on us'. They checked and rode tested the bike and said that there was no problems found. I think the 'Test Rider' had to be deaf. I now have 7600 miles on the bike and the noise is still there.:helpsmilie: Little Blue.

mark4Jesus
10-01-2017, 03:41 PM
Poster in this thread had the whining problem along with the brake and shop found the problem, here is link:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?108464-Parking-Brake-Update

JNorthStar
10-01-2017, 04:49 PM
They aren't easy to find, but see if your dealer can recommend someone to put it on a dyno and look at the readouts. J

JNorthStar
10-01-2017, 04:52 PM

I would have thought slippage might be a cause, but this remedy kills off that fix. Perhaps overly stiff belt?
J

JNorthStar
10-01-2017, 04:58 PM
Poster in this thread had the whining problem along with the brake and shop found the problem, here is link:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?108464-Parking-Brake-Update

Thanks again, J

Easy Rider
10-01-2017, 07:21 PM
I would have thought slippage might be a cause, but this remedy kills off that fix. Perhaps overly stiff belt?
J

A belt with TEETH does not "slip". ;)

wolffspyder
05-28-2018, 11:09 AM
Hi,
Sorry to hear about the problem. I am on my second '17 F3 because of my noise. After 5000 + miles on this one
it is getting worse - noise is more spread - comes in and out around 20 mph and goes up to the upper 50's.
After replacing everything that rotated from the front pulley to the rear wheel and bearings it was still there.
Last effort was to replace the transmission - that also failed. new bike did not help either.
BRP has a problem - sounds like an old - old car with all straight cut gears in a worn out transmission.
Mine is not affected by gear selection - only speed.
Please keep us posted as to what BRP decides.
Paid way too much for this bike to hear such a noise!!,
Good luck and be safe,
Tip
My 2016 F3 does the same thing from day one. Makes it sound like a cheap squirrel cage I. A old car on its last leg. It’s gotta be something to do with an inconsistent design of the belt. It’s really quite embarrassing on a 30,000.00 trike.

ARtraveler
05-28-2018, 12:50 PM
Hi all
Thanks for your responses: will pass them on to the dealer
BRP's recent response was: they are unable to assist--
quote: "BRP will be unable to comply with your request for
assistance...This is BRP's final decision on this matter."

Are you hearing this directly from the dealer? Or, is the dealer passing the information along to you? I am a believer in "trust, but verify."

And...you made sure the cat was not in the bike engine compartment. :roflblack: