PDA

View Full Version : I'M FED UP

oldguyinTX
09-27-2017, 04:43 PM
With all of the problems that we have had with our Spyder since we bought it in July of 2013. There have been so many times during (our short) riding seasons - at least twice each season - that it has stranded us and had to be towed, then spent on average three weeks in the shop each time to diagnose/fix (hah) issues, plus the recalls - the dealer had it for 4 weeks to do the heat recall and left some parts out that were required- and the nail in the coffin was last weekend when the weather was beautiful and the wife and I went out to ride to a local Flea Market, then ride up to NW CT for lunch, then home. Well, we got as far as about 1/2 mile from the Flea Market, the Spyder went into Limp Home Mode, Codes were C0040, VCM module, Brake pedal switch failure, VSS fault, etc. Fuse was blown for the brake lights/emergency flashers. Put a new one in, it blew right away. Second code was C0063 Yaw rate sensor failure. The YRS was replaced about this time last year. The screen lit up like a Christmas tree, engine light, oil pressure light & VCS light all blinking. So, it is going to sit in the garage for the winter on a battery tender, as I am having my second hip replacement in 2 weeks, and I am sure that even if I had it towed to a dealer tomorrow, I would not get it back before my surgery. Long story short, I am going to dump it & the 622 trailer next spring for whatever I can get for it. This was the worst monetary investment I have ever made, and I will never buy another one. Not that I could afford it, since I scrimped and saved for years to buy this one so I could pay cash and not have a monthly payment. I now see that it was money totally wasted that I will never recoup. Having dropped $35K on the Spyder, trailer, etc., I think I would be lucky to get $11K for both, if I can even sell them. Words can't express how angry and disappointed I am with BRP for foisting such a lousy product on the public, and then ignoring folks who have major problems. I have no confidence whatsoever in this machine, and would not dare to even think about taking a long trip on it, because I know that it will break down and leave us stranded, as it usually does. Oh, and my other rant - I once used BRP Roadside Assistance. $200 allowance which got me an 18 mile tow plus $50 out of my pocket. My insurance totally covered last weekend's 45 mile tow. This machine is a POS. Should have bought a Gold Wing trike, way more dependable.

Tazzel
09-27-2017, 04:53 PM
That's a bummer, you must have got a lemon. I have owned 3 different Spyders with no issues.

loisk
09-27-2017, 05:19 PM
Very sorry to hear of your experiences.

I have always said that the difference between a magical and a miserable spyder experience is the quality of the Dealer.

ARtraveler
09-27-2017, 05:25 PM
Sorry to hear of your disappointment. A bad dealer just adds to the horrible experience. I am thinking you have made the right decision in your case.

DGoebel
09-27-2017, 05:29 PM
Bummer, I have the same model and drove over 12,000 miles in the last 11 months, Did an Iron Butt SaddleSore 1000 one day, had several 1500 to 2000 mile weekends without any breakdowns. Well, I've never had a breakdown yet (knock wood)..
Most of my issues have been self induced trying to save money. I'd agree with what Tazzel and UtahPete said.
Whoever buys your Bike and Trailer may find a different dealer and that's like what Loisk stated. Maybe you've just been dealing with a subpar mechanic, or the initial build was just off....

ThreeWheels
09-27-2017, 05:32 PM
Geez Dwight, I feel so bad for you.
Our experiences couldn't be more opposite.
I hope you wind up with another motorcycle, the HD or Goldwing Trike.
Good luck on your surgery.
I hope to ride with you next year, and of course, my very best to Val.

Bob Denman
09-27-2017, 05:41 PM
:shocked::gaah:

Dwight,
I really wish that your experience had been anything but this... :gaah::cus::gaah:

JerryB
09-27-2017, 05:57 PM
Hi oldguyinCT,

Re: ignoring folks who have major problems

I feel for you. And, if I were in your shoes I would make the same decision.

One's must know when to cut their losses.

The above quote is IMO BRP's major problem. IMO they simply do not care once the sale has been made.

If you get a lousy dealer, well just deal with it.

I have contacted BRP on only a couple of occasions and could not believe how they exhibited a "I don't care about you." attitude.

Best of luck with your hip surgery and any new trails you find,

Jerry Baumchen

oldguyinTX
09-27-2017, 06:10 PM
I agree, the dealer makes a huge difference. Had a very bad experience with one, and nothing but great service and honesty from another, who unfortunately is no longer in business. (too honest I guess, not a "stealership") Regardless, it all comes back to BRP. Do I think I got a bad initial Build? With inherent problems starting from the second month that I owned it? Not to mention the inherent problems in putting the 998 in the new frame because the 1330 "wasn't ready" for the 2013 model year. In my opinion, yes, others may feel differently. Do I think that their dealer network sucks? You bet, there all all sorts of horror stories on this forum about suspect dealers. I remember back in the day when the Honda dealer only sold Hondas, The Kawasaki dealer only sold Kawasakis, etc. You owned that bike, thats where you went for service, and you didn't have to wait 3 or 4 weeks for an appointment. Now, dealers sell everything, with Spyders as a sideline so they can sell Skidoos & Seadoos along with Honda. Kaws, Suzukis, whatever. All of those have higher sales volume than Spyders, and dealers don't want to pay the $$ to have a mechanic go to school and get certified by BRP. To me it's a case of "take the money and run". Bob, a video? (hint hint)

oldguyinTX
09-27-2017, 06:14 PM
I don't think you'll have any trouble selling your trailer.

Well, selling the trailer without the Spyder doesn't really help me. I'd still be stuck with the *&%$#@+ bike. :banghead::banghead:

HankD
09-27-2017, 06:35 PM
Not that I want to start a Major Uprising.....but has anyone considered using this forum to somehow send a Joint Letter of Concern directly to BRP about the dissatisfaction with their Dealership/Service system?

I think a Joint Letter with the names of about 1,000 or so Spyder Owners might get the attention of BRP. It should be sent to the correct individual at the Corporation of course, otherwise it will go into the paper-shredder filing system.

Peter Aawen
09-27-2017, 07:43 PM
Oldguy, have you checked out the fine print in your local 'Lemon Laws' (if you actually have any?)?

Here in Aus, where we've got them, our Lemon Laws have the 'usual' up front provisions for those people who get stuck with a vehicle that pretty quickly & obviously reveals itself as a lemon, and everyone knows all about those....buuuut, in many cases, buried waaay further in the guts of the legalese, our various consumer protection laws also have provisions to protect those people who buy something that doesn't actually qualify as a lemon under the 'initial purchase' provisions, but that over time repeatedly ends up failing to deliver on its intended purpose so that the owner can't use it as intended.... again!! I believe that in the last lot I checked out for vehicles, it was something like 8 x 2 week non-scheduled service events over 4 years could qualify the owner as one who didn't have a 'fit for purpose' vehicle, & as such that owner was entitled to claim under those Lemon Laws. Can't recall the provisions & requirements exactly, but I can recall a couple of instances where vehicle owners here have either received new vehicles or their money plus interest back because of those longer term provisions in the Lemon Laws.

So maybe your local Lemon Laws have similar longer term provisions to cover those vehicles that repeatedly fail to meet their purpose - is it worth a look, you reckon?? Your local Better Business or Consumer Protection mob or whatever you might call them may be able to help. If you haven't already, give them a call & ask.... :thumbup:

Saluda
09-27-2017, 08:29 PM
hope things turn around for you. Wish you the best.

Chupaca
09-27-2017, 10:59 PM
Sorry to hear it has gotten to this..but for now concentrate on your hip replacement..good luck with it and may you heal well and quickly..:pray:

PrairieSpyder
09-28-2017, 07:45 AM
I'm so sorry to hear about your bad experiences with you Spyder. :( We'll miss you here if you leave us, too.

Bob Denman
09-28-2017, 07:48 AM
You're not going to leave us: are you??? :shocked:

jcthorne
09-28-2017, 10:00 AM
If its any consolation, we had a 2013 RT that was also a total lemon and left us stranded multiple times and spent FAR too long in the shop. BRP did help a bit in moving along to a different unit but we still took a $10k loss for BRP's royal F up on the 2013 bikes. Far too many of them burned to the ground, left owners stranded and continue to be a source of trouble. Love my current F3 but BRP really could and should have done FAR more for the 2013 RT owners that got swindled.

larryd
09-28-2017, 10:23 AM
If your going the GW route I'd suggest looking at a Sturgis R18 reverse trike...I was ready to pull the trigger on one back in late 2013 but BRP came out with the 1330 in 2014 and I bought a RTS...

I rode a new Motor Trike reverse trike at Americade and was VERY disappointed...Very had steering and darted around on every road inperfection...Plus, BONE UGLY...

I've ridden several R18 and before they offered the "easy steer option" the only draw back was the hard steering...

I have long since made up my mind, if my RTS gets unreliable it will be replaced with the R18...And hopefully the 2018 GW will have the dual clutch technologly (DCT) and a real reverse, and maybe a 6th or 7th gear???

larryd

Big F
09-28-2017, 10:43 AM
Not that I want to start a Major Uprising.....but has anyone considered using this forum to somehow send a Joint Letter of Concern directly to BRP about the dissatisfaction with their Dealership/Service system?

I think a Joint Letter with the names of about 1,000 or so Spyder Owners might get the attention of BRP. It should be sent to the correct individual at the Corporation of course, otherwise it will go into the paper-shredder filing system.

Your comments make sense to me. why hasn't BRP come to this man's rescue?????? that is sad indeed. sure, he has a lousy dealer, but one would think BRP would get him to another reputable dealer that could address his problems properly once and for all??
this is a major BRP issue and they need to resolve it.
we have dealer issues in this part of the country and that is another BRP problem. why they allow sub-par dealers to exist is beyond me.
you can my name to the list for BRP to resolve the issues. tks
BIG F

2dogs
09-28-2017, 11:10 AM
Your comments make sense to me. why hasn't BRP come to this man's rescue?????? that is sad indeed. sure, he has a lousy dealer, but one would think BRP would get him to another reputable dealer that could address his problems properly once and for all??
we have dealer issues in this part of the country and that is another BRP problem. why they allow sub-par dealers to exist is beyond me.
BIG F

Because, in short, BRP doesn't give a rat's you know what about their customers! nojoke

Pirate looks at --
09-28-2017, 11:22 AM
Sorry to hear about your issues. If I were in your shoes, I would be equally upset. We have not had the same issue though we have the exact same model. Not only has it never left us stranded, we have over 50000 miles on it to date, and that includes from California to Valcourt and back. I really think that part of the issue might be dealer related. While it may seem sad, the dealer is the one that should with BRP on your behalf, and they need to make sure that the manufacturer assists you with these issues. I hope your surgery goes well, and that in the spring you can look at purchasing a new Spyder! Heal quickly!:pray:

HankD
09-28-2017, 11:29 AM
Because, in short, BRP doesn't give a rat's you know what about their customers! nojoke

Well, the BRPCare Rep always seems to be on the Forum. Either they care enough to read about issues....or they are taking notes on troublemakers like me :shocked:

oldguyinTX
09-28-2017, 11:29 AM
Oldguy, have you checked out the fine print in your local 'Lemon Laws' (if you actually have any?)?

Here in Aus, where we've got them, our Lemon Laws have the 'usual' up front provisions for those people who get stuck with a vehicle that pretty quickly & obviously reveals itself as a lemon, and everyone knows all about those....buuuut, in many cases, buried waaay further in the guts of the legalese, our various consumer protection laws also have provisions to protect those people who buy something that doesn't actually qualify as a lemon under the 'initial purchase' provisions, but that over time repeatedly ends up failing to deliver on its intended purpose so that the owner can't use it as intended.... again!! I believe that in the last lot I checked out for vehicles, it was something like 8 x 2 week non-scheduled service events over 4 years could qualify the owner as one who didn't have a 'fit for purpose' vehicle, & as such that owner was entitled to claim under those Lemon Laws. Can't recall the provisions & requirements exactly, but I can recall a couple of instances where vehicle owners here have either received new vehicles or their money plus interest back because of those longer term provisions in the Lemon Laws.

So maybe your local Lemon Laws have similar longer term provisions to cover those vehicles that repeatedly fail to meet their purpose - is it worth a look, you reckon?? Your local Better Business or Consumer Protection mob or whatever you might call them may be able to help. If you haven't already, give them a call & ask.... :thumbup:

Peter, I am looking at that, and it appears to be the case. Part of what they want is are copies of all service invoices, which I do not have. I have attempted to get all warranty invoices from the previous "stealership", but they have been stalling for various reasons, the latest being that they are "having trouble getting them from BRP". What a crock of S**t.

Also, for you folks referring to bad dealers: Yes, the first one was very bad, and I have no confidence in them whatsoever. I would not recommend them to my worst enemy, In the beginning, they had a BRP Certified tech who was very good, but he left for some unknown reason which the dealer would not divulge. The second dealer that I went to for service was absolutely stellar. He got a lot of things done for me under warranty, and fixed several screwups by the previous dealer pertaining to the 2013 RT heat recall (missing parts) as well a a number of other issues that they caused, such as missing bolts on the clutch cover causing a massive oil leak (2 1/2 quarts in 30 miles) broken bolts on the driers RH footrest, and several other things, which in all fairness to BRP, they did pay to have corrected, as it was one of their dealers that caused the problems in the first place.

I have just finished writing my third letter to Jose Boisjoli, CEO of BRP expressing my utter disappointment and total lack of confidence in this machine. We will see how far that gets me, probably nowhere. My wife refuses to even consider riding it for fear of being stranded yet again. Between 4/5/17 & 11/18/16, the Spyder was at the dealer for a total of 105 days, to correct warranty items and screwups by the previous dealer. Anyone but me think that this is excessive? Please understand that I do not blame the second dealer for this, as they were correcting past problems, and waiting for parts. And we all know that the BRP parts supply chain is nothing short of abysmal. Over the course of my ownership, the previous dealer had it a lot longer than that, but since I can't get the warranty invoices, I cannot fully track that.

I have no idea what the outcome of this will be with BRP, but I am pretty sure that I will not like it.

oldguyinTX
09-28-2017, 11:32 AM
Well, the BRPCare Rep always seems to be on the Forum. Either they care enough to read about issues....or they are taking notes on troublemakers like me :shocked:

Hank, I think that I am a bigger troublemaker than you, given what I have been posting recently. And that is fine with me.

Bob Denman
09-28-2017, 11:38 AM
If you look back through Dwight's ownership of the bike (Well-documented in his posts in here...); I doubt that you'd be calling him a liar... nojoke

oldguyinTX
09-28-2017, 11:49 AM
Before slamming BRP and the dealer, let's recognize that; a) we only have his side of the story, b) we're not going to hear the dealer's and BRP's side of the story and c) his situation and experience, as described is so unusual as to stretch credulity to the breaking point.

Ever hear of fake news?

Yeah Iv'e heard of fake news. It's in every one of your posts. I'll bet you're one of the people who got Cuznjohn kicked off of this forum. Am I your next target? You just made my ignore list, as you never have anything relevant to say. Other than to spew negativity. You want to call me a liar? Be my guest. It must be sad to be you, that you feel that you have to disparage any comments or opinions on this forum. Get a life.

sylvester
09-28-2017, 11:52 AM
There are alot of crummy dealers out there been through 3 myself going back to number 2 best of the 3 may have to kiss a little ass cause i was really pissed when i left there:banghead:

OKey
09-28-2017, 11:57 AM
With all of the problems that we have had with our Spyder since we bought it in July of 2013. There have been so many times during (our short) riding seasons - at least twice each season - that it has stranded us and had to be towed, then spent on average three weeks in the shop each time to diagnose/fix (hah) issues, plus the recalls - the dealer had it for 4 weeks to do the heat recall and left some parts out that were required- and the nail in the coffin was last weekend when the weather was beautiful and the wife and I went out to ride to a local Flea Market, then ride up to NW CT for lunch, then home. Well, we got as far as about 1/2 mile from the Flea Market, the Spyder went into Limp Home Mode, Codes were C0040, VCM module, Brake pedal switch failure, VSS fault, etc. Fuse was blown for the brake lights/emergency flashers. Put a new one in, it blew right away. Second code was C0063 Yaw rate sensor failure. The YRS was replaced about this time last year. The screen lit up like a Christmas tree, engine light, oil pressure light & VCS light all blinking. So, it is going to sit in the garage for the winter on a battery tender, as I am having my second hip replacement in 2 weeks, and I am sure that even if I had it towed to a dealer tomorrow, I would not get it back before my surgery. Long story short, I am going to dump it & the 622 trailer next spring for whatever I can get for it. This was the worst monetary investment I have ever made, and I will never buy another one. Not that I could afford it, since I scrimped and saved for years to buy this one so I could pay cash and not have a monthly payment. I now see that it was money totally wasted that I will never recoup. Having dropped $35K on the Spyder, trailer, etc., I think I would be lucky to get $11K for both, if I can even sell them. Words can't express how angry and disappointed I am with BRP for foisting such a lousy product on the public, and then ignoring folks who have major problems. I have no confidence whatsoever in this machine, and would not dare to even think about taking a long trip on it, because I know that it will break down and leave us stranded, as it usually does. Oh, and my other rant - I once used BRP Roadside Assistance. $200 allowance which got me an 18 mile tow plus $50 out of my pocket. My insurance totally covered last weekend's 45 mile tow. This machine is a POS. Should have bought a Gold Wing trike, way more dependable.

My heart goes out to you brother !! I guess you would never feel like my license plate applies to your Spyder experience.
Part of me says dump it and get another, but 3 weeks in the shop...no way. My dealer has a loaner that they give me if I want to ride while my bike is being serviced......and it's a current year. It serves a dual purpose. I stay in the game and it gives me the itch to upgrade.

I would do exactly what you are doing since you're geographically stuck with your dealer.
Even though you are exiting the BP Family, I would suggest that you write a simple letter to BP listing the 1, 2, 3's of your problems and the poor dealer response. Won't help you any, but might help the next guy.

Good luck.....PS love the color and look of your bike.....Peace :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Roadster Renovations
09-28-2017, 11:57 AM
Sorry you have had such a terrible time. Hope they will make you a good offer on maybe a new RT.

oldguyinTX
09-28-2017, 11:59 AM
You're not going to leave us: are you??? :shocked:

Have not decided yet. I'm tired of the vitriol being spewed on this forum by certain folks, and the ganging up on people to get them kicked off. I joined this forum because I thought it would be a great place to exchange thoughts, information, ideas, and maybe have a laugh or two, and for a while, that was mostly true. Sadly, a few are corrupting what I think - and this is just my opinion - Lamont intended when he started this forum. And that'a a sad thing.

Tango
09-28-2017, 12:12 PM
Dwight try another dealer. :dontknow: It can't hurt. You may need to travel some to get to a top rated dealer. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

robhowen
09-28-2017, 12:21 PM
Is there anyone out there that can actually help this man in Connecticut? I mean help with action and results, not just advice. BRP are you listening? I wish you were in AZ as I believe my dealer in Sierra Vista would take action and actually help you. Is there anyone in his neck-of-the-woods?

Rob

2dogs
09-28-2017, 12:23 PM

And me too? :yikes:

Seriously though, in my business my equipment and my customers are equally top priority and I have a high percentage of return customers. If BRP were to communicate and assist folks with problem spyders directly, and help them to resolve their issues through a competent and trusted dealer network, life aboard a spyder would be much more enjoyable for all. I just can't seem to understand why BRP would not be willing to contact customers with problem spyders and help them out. Maybe they just think they are too big to fail. :dontknow:

Bob Denman
09-28-2017, 12:31 PM
Have not decided yet. I'm tired of the vitriol being spewed on this forum by certain folks, and the ganging up on people to get them kicked off. I joined this forum because I thought it would be a great place to exchange thoughts, information, ideas, and maybe have a laugh or two, and for a while, that was mostly true. Sadly, a few are corrupting what I think - and this is just my opinion - Lamont intended when he started this forum. And that'a a sad thing.
:shocked: But you're the "Anti-Venom", for those kind of folks: we need you in here! nojoke
Please; stick around, and help herd this "bunch of cats, through the darkness"!

JayBros
09-28-2017, 12:32 PM
BRP should invest some coin in creating some kind of zone rep system wherein a responsible individual can appear on scene for customers with the OP's kind of problems with the authority to cut through all the crap and get the customer's problem(s) resolved. JMO.

CA Railwhale
09-28-2017, 12:40 PM
BIG F

Given this bike's troubled history, I think the owner could sue the dealer and CanAM for recission of sale. The bike has never lived up to it's promise and there are plenty of people on this list alone that would testify to the essentially trouble-free natures of their bikes. If he wins, his money would be returned and he'd be out from under the bike and could sell the trailer and at least recoup some of his money from that as well.

UtahPete
09-28-2017, 01:04 PM
Yeah I've heard of fake news. It's in every one of your posts. I'll bet you're one of the people who got Cuznjohn kicked off of this forum. Am I your next target? You just made my ignore list, as you never have anything relevant to say. Other than to spew negativity. You want to call me a liar? Be my guest. It must be sad to be you, that you feel that you have to disparage any comments or opinions on this forum. Get a life.

Sorry you and others took it that way; I didn't mean to imply you were deliberately misrepresenting the truth. In reviewing your posting history, it just seemed like these issues with your bike have not been terribly important to you in the overall scheme of things until just now.

I think that something else may be bugging you (maybe your hip replacement?) and you decided to let loose with a volley at BRP and the dealer network as the source of your misfortunes. And, I think that is unfair to BRP and maybe the dealer to make them the target of your anger and frustration.

BTW, I've not had anything to do with Cuz'n John or anyone else getting kicked off the forum. Not knowingly anyway.

Spyder_Cowgirl
09-28-2017, 01:09 PM
I have just finished writing my third letter to Jose Boisjoli, CEO of BRP expressing my utter disappointment and total lack of confidence in this machine. We will see how far that gets me, probably nowhere. My wife refuses to even consider riding it for fear of being stranded yet again. Between 4/5/17 & 11/18/16, the Spyder was at the dealer for a total of 105 days, to correct warranty items and screwups by the previous dealer. Anyone but me think that this is excessive? Please understand that I do not blame the second dealer for this, as they were correcting past problems, and waiting for parts. And we all know that the BRP parts supply chain is nothing short of abysmal. Over the course of my ownership, the previous dealer had it a lot longer than that, but since I can't get the warranty invoices, I cannot fully track that.

I have no idea what the outcome of this will be with BRP, but I am pretty sure that I will not like it.

Oh man ... this sounds all too familiar when it comes to my CB woes. The 2016 RT Ltd is a dream, the CB ... not so much and if you have been following any of my posts on the subject, you will know that my (now former) dealer damages the bike every time they do anything more than and oil change. They even went so far as to accuse me of unhooking a ground strap that toasted the 3rd CB on the :spyder2:!!!! Anyway, I finally got some movement on the issue by sending an email directly to brp.care@brp.com -- I calmly explained all the issues and after one more trip to the "bad dealer" (where they damaged a fuse box cover, the CB antenna, and likely the entertainment harness), I am now able to "pick my dealer" to have this resolved. I am fortunate to have two that are reasonably close and both have excellent reputations. I know you have already sent a letter to the CEO ..... but, perhaps, one targeted to a known customer service rep. might actually yield better results. I know you are livid -- if you do decide to take this path, be kind, state the facts, and ask for BRPCare's help (leave the anger and emotion out of it). This is what I did and it got the results I was looking for.

Good Luck .... I hope this gets resolved to your satisfaction .... Ann

oldguyinTX
09-28-2017, 01:21 PM
I thank you all for your support with my dilemma, and your kind words regarding my upcoming (2nd) hip replacement in 7 months. There is a reputable dealer, Land 'N Sea Marine, which is 50 miles from me in Waterbury,CT, which is not a terrible distance, but I'm gonna have to have it towed there, which means that I have to drive there so that I can have some sort of personal interaction with the Service Manager, then my wife would have to drive me there to pick it up when it is fixed(?). So, a 200 mile trip in the car. My other choice would be Arctic Adventures in Rosendale NY, really good people but a heck of a lot further. I know that there are many on this forum whose dealer is at least 50 miles away, if not further, so I can't really complain about the distance. (That would be whining) I remember someone on here said that he rides from Long Island to Arctic Adventures for service. Now that is a long ride and one heck of an endorsement. Anyway, it's a moot point right now, as I don't have the time to get it to a dealer and then pick it up - even if it were ready - within the 2 week time frame until my surgery. Plus I have to get the rest of my Pre-Op appointments out of the way, as well as taking my mother-in-law to her doctor's appointments, grocery shopping, etc., as I am her primary caregiver. I am retired on SS Disability, which ain't much. My wife, bless her heart, works about 70 hours a week at two jobs to make ends meet, and will have to take over what I do for her mom until I can drive again. With that in mind, I am indeed a very lucky man.

oldguyinTX
09-28-2017, 01:22 PM
Oh man ... this sounds all too familiar when it comes to my CB woes. The 2016 RT Ltd is a dream, the CB ... not so much and if you have been following any of my posts on the subject, you will know that my (now former) dealer damages the bike every time they do anything more than and oil change. They even went so far as to accuse me of unhooking a ground strap that toasted the 3rd CB on the :spyder2:!!!! Anyway, I finally got some movement on the issue by sending an email directly to brp.care@brp.com -- I calmly explained all the issues and after one more trip to the "bad dealer" (where they damaged a fuse box cover, the CB antenna, and likely the entertainment harness), I am now able to "pick my dealer" to have this resolved. I am fortunate to have two that are reasonably close and both have excellent reputations. I know you have already sent a letter to the CEO ..... but, perhaps, one targeted to a known customer service rep. might actually yield better results. I know you are livid -- if you do decide to take this path, be kind, state the facts, and ask for BRPCare's help (leave the anger and emotion out of it). This is what I did and it got the results I was looking for.

Thanks Ann, good advice. I have been following your posts about your CB and I am glad that you seem to be finally getting some resolution to your problem. Good Luck!

UtahPete
09-28-2017, 01:48 PM
I thank you all for your support with my dilemma, and your kind words regarding my upcoming (2nd) hip replacement in 7 months. There is a reputable dealer, Land 'N Sea Marine, which is 50 miles from me in Waterbury,CT, which is not a terrible distance, but I'm gonna have to have it towed there, which means that I have to drive there so that I can have some sort of personal interaction with the Service Manager, then my wife would have to drive me there to pick it up when it is fixed(?). So, a 200 mile trip in the car. My other choice would be Arctic Adventures in Rosendale NY, really good people but a heck of a lot further. I don't have the time to get it to a dealer and then pick it up - even if it were ready - within the 2 week time frame until my surgery. Plus I have to get the rest of my Pre-Op appointments out of the way, as well as taking my mother-in-law to her doctor's appointments, grocery shopping, etc., as I am her primary caregiver. I am retired on SS Disability, which ain't much. My wife, bless her heart, works about 70 hours a week at two jobs to make ends meet, and will have to take over what I do for her mom until I can drive again. With that in mind, I am indeed a very lucky man.

If I lived within reasonable distance, I would take care of getting your Spyder to the dealer and back so you can focus on dealing with the other stressors in your life right now. Is there anyone on this thread that has a trailer or some other solution to help out a fellow Spyder owner?

heyharris1
09-28-2017, 04:16 PM
To me this seems to not be a common scenario all across the board. Major problems plague the spider. This is why when I was looking for a used spyder I did not buy the 2013 after reading all the horror stories. I would almost say after this long it almost time for a class action law suit against BRP. Has anybody considered who own one of these troubled bikes considered visiting a law firm and just sitting down to explain the situation and bring multiple examples of documented cases of these problems. Lawyers always seemed to be eager to get involved if they believe its possible to make a large sum of money. I can agree though as I have not had any major problems with my machine that I also will not be buying another one. Just from the one I own know I can see that BRP makes a 10,000 dollar machine and sells it for 30,000. If a car manufacturer did the kind of stuff BRP is doing there would be an uprising.

Jim

jwulf74
09-28-2017, 05:29 PM
Lol, if you think it is bad on here, you should see what they did to my wife on the Girls on Spyders facebook group. She quit pretty fast and has no desire for any part of them anymore...

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-28-2017, 07:08 PM
Anyway, I finally got some movement on the issue by sending an email directly to brp.care@brp.com -- I calmly explained all the issues and after one more trip to the "bad dealer" (where they damaged a fuse box cover, the CB antenna, and likely the entertainment harness), I am now able to "pick my dealer" to have this resolved
I was just thinking this same thing.

Oldguy, have you written to brp.care as Ann suggests? I talked to some of them at Homecoming about the, now moot, problem I had with a CB that leaked water. I honestly feel like they are a group who will truly take a direct interest in your situation if they become aware and involved. I can't help but feel there is an answer that doesn't require you to walk away totally from BRP and Spyder. Sadly, the final resolution may not make you financially whole, although we all wish it would, but should be able to make you feel good enough to stay with us as a Spyder Ryder. For what it's worth, which may not be much, I once told my daughter when she having some serious problems, "Sometimes life hands you a s*** sandwich, and you have no choice but to eat it." Please don't take this as making light of your problem, because I'm not. Sometimes we just can't win, and when we can't, it hurts damn bad.

oldguyinTX
09-28-2017, 07:56 PM
I was just thinking this same thing.

Oldguy, have you written to brp.care as Ann suggests? I talked to some of them at Homecoming about the, now moot, problem I had with a CB that leaked water. I honestly feel like they are a group who will truly take a direct interest in your situation if they become aware and involved. I can't help but feel there is an answer that doesn't require you to walk away totally from BRP and Spyder. Sadly, the final resolution may not make you financially whole, although we all wish it would, but should be able to make you feel good enough to stay with us as a Spyder Ryder. For what it's worth, which may not be much, I once told my daughter when she having some serious problems, "Sometimes life hands you a s*** sandwich, and you have no choice but to eat it." Please don't take this as making light of your problem, because I'm not. Sometimes we just can't win, and when we can't, it hurts damn bad.

No, I have not done that. I have done so in the past with no joy. Which is not to say I won't try it again, I just need to get all of my ducks in a row. And no, not to shoot them. Seriously, Ann has a very good point, and I'm glad that it is working out well for her. Lord knows she has had quite a struggle. And no, I do not think that you are making light of my problem; rather, I take your points as thoughtful and informative. I know that there a some folks (I have dealt with some, but they have moved on) with BRP who genuinely want to be told about problems and find ways to solve them. The unfortunate truth is that Corporate handcuffs them and does not let them do the job that they would really like to do, which is to keep all of their customers happy, listen to and act on their problems in a timely manner, keep them promoting the product (free advertising!), and buying new Spyders. But in my opinion - others will vary - a company that does not truly support its predominately loyal customer base without being shamed into doing so is not really worthy of said loyalty. Guess I'm stirring the pot a little more. And jwulf74, BAD things happen on Facebook. Which is why I'm not on there. Bad enough what one sometimes has to put up with here. On a positive note, 2 weeks until I get a new hip!! I can't wait!! :yes::yes:

oldguyinTX
09-28-2017, 08:07 PM
154138 Hmm.. seems like someone is deleting posts. 154139

Sarge707
09-28-2017, 08:23 PM
I thank you all for your support with my dilemma, and your kind words regarding my upcoming (2nd) hip replacement in 7 months. There is a reputable dealer, Land 'N Sea Marine, which is 50 miles from me in Waterbury,CT, which is not a terrible distance, but I'm gonna have to have it towed there, which means that I have to drive there so that I can have some sort of personal interaction with the Service Manager, then my wife would have to drive me there to pick it up when it is fixed(?). So, a 200 mile trip in the car. My other choice would be Arctic Adventures in Rosendale NY, really good people but a heck of a lot further. I know that there are many on this forum whose dealer is at least 50 miles away, if not further, so I can't really complain about the distance. (That would be whining) I remember someone on here said that he rides from Long Island to Arctic Adventures for service. Now that is a long ride and one heck of an endorsement. Anyway, it's a moot point right now, as I don't have the time to get it to a dealer and then pick it up - even if it were ready - within the 2 week time frame until my surgery. Plus I have to get the rest of my Pre-Op appointments out of the way, as well as taking my mother-in-law to her doctor's appointments, grocery shopping, etc., as I am her primary caregiver. I am retired on SS Disability, which ain't much. My wife, bless her heart, works about 70 hours a week at two jobs to make ends meet, and will have to take over what I do for her mom until I can drive again. With that in mind, I am indeed a very lucky man.

I have dealt with Bob Tisso and the Service Manager for Years in Waterbury and they will do whatever they can to Help you! I would give Bob or Phil a Call and Talk everything over with Them. He has given me a loaner when in for service under warranty before.

UtahPete
09-28-2017, 08:56 PM
Hmm.. seems like someone is deleting posts.

Yes, when I see that my post is causing more grief than anything else, I delete it.

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-28-2017, 11:39 PM
Yes, when I see that my post is causing more grief than anything else, I delete it.
Very considerate of you. Thanks.

Fire34
09-29-2017, 07:26 AM
Everyone has mentioned having a good dealer. I must have one we just purchased our 2013 rt limited back in late June with 10,900 on it. After the first couple of hundred miles noticed an oil leak on the garage floor. Took it to the dealer, valve cover repaired under warranty. Thought everything was ok, noticed oil still on the floor took it back said it was clutch seal? Repaired no charge again warranty work. Told the wife seems like we have a new motor now.
Dave

irvin48
09-29-2017, 07:54 AM
wishing you the best of luck on your hip and spyder. i have had both knees done
and am going down the getting a hip road too. im 69 and am still at the shop every day
because my building still has the usual bills we all do. no pension 4 the self employed.
the spyder is an affluent persons toy . im not and am glad my initial problems were
warrantied. we bought it cause it wont tip over when your knees are bad. will be the
last one we have . i,like the rest of your spyder family hope you and and a good dealer
an brp can give you many more miles of pleasure after your hip. please let us know
how that works too.---irv toms

oldguyinTX
09-29-2017, 08:04 AM
I have dealt with Bob Tisso and the Service Manager for Years in Waterbury and they will do whatever they can to Help you! I would give Bob or Phil a Call and Talk everything over with Them. He has given me a loaner when in for service under warranty before.

Thanks for the tip Sarge, I have heard good things about them. I will give them a call.

oldguyinTX
09-29-2017, 10:43 AM

Ann, I wanted you to know that I took your advice and just sent an Email to BRP care, to which I attached my (third) letter to the CEO, Mr. Jose Boisjoli. Now, the waiting game begins.

HankD
09-29-2017, 10:47 AM
Ann, I wanted you to know that I took your advice and just sent an Email to BRP care, to which I attached my (third) letter to the CEO, Mr. Jose Boisjoli. Now, the waiting game begins.

It's all over the recent news that the parent company of BRP's Aircraft Division is in huge anti-trust trouble, and their Rail Division just got snubbed on a merger try. I think Jose and all senior mgmt. might be a little distracted at the moment.

UtahPete
09-29-2017, 11:48 AM
It's all over the recent news that the parent company of BRP's Aircraft Division is in huge anti-trust trouble, and their Rail Division just got snubbed on a merger try. I think Jose and all senior mgmt. might be a little distracted at the moment.

It's not anti-trust and they're not in trouble with our government. The issue is that Boeing wants the US to slap a huge tariff on Bombardier's planes, making them uncompetitive in the US market and thus protecting Boeing's monopoly. This is just going to get worse with all the talk about dismantling NAFTA, the results of which will make many products from Canada and Mexico much more expensive to American consumers. Like BRP's machines and parts.

Anybody who cares about the American consumer and inflation eating away further at the middle class' buying power should be very concerned about the talk of dismantling any of our foreign trade agreements.

But, that's the topic of another conversation, on another OFF-TOPIC thread if you really want to go there.

crazycanuck
09-29-2017, 11:56 AM
BRP is not affiliated with Bombardier aerospace or rail division. The recreational division was sold by Bombardier to Capital Bain out of Boston years ago with the Bombardier family still owning a small percentage.

Anyways, carry on.

HankD
09-29-2017, 12:00 PM
BRP is not affiliated with Bombardier aerospace or rail division. The recreational division was sold by Bombardier to Capital Bain out of Boston years ago with the Bombardier family still owning a small percentage.

Anyways, carry on.

Didn't realize that, thanks for the clarification

Rogue Hawk
09-29-2017, 02:25 PM
I had nothing but trouble with my F3. It has $10000 of repairs in it. I got rid of that clunker.

DGoebel
09-29-2017, 02:35 PM
RogueHawk, What did you replace your lemon with?

bscrive
09-29-2017, 08:51 PM
Hi Dwight,

Deb and I are really sorry to hear about your new issue with your Spyder. All I can say is that you have a lot more patience then I would have. That Spyder has been such a pain in the butt it is ridiculous. If it was me, I would have got rid of it a long time ago and moved on to something else. I do agree that the crappy dealership is to blame for a lot of it, but if you can't find a decent dealer in your area then it is better to cut you losses and move on.
Maybe you and Val would like a Slingshot. :roflblack::roflblack: Got to find some kind of humour in a crappy situation like this.
Keep Deb and I apprised to what you guys are going to do.

Keep well you two and we hope your surgery goes well in October. :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Brian & Deb.

SNOOPY
09-30-2017, 06:41 PM

Funny, If I posted this people would tell me stop complaining like a little girl or suck it up.

I get it, it sucks something you spent good money on giving you constant fits.

Unfortunately complaining on a forum for most of us about issues only gets us negative comments from long time forum people.

Wish I could comment on issues and get some love. lol

Suck it up. LOL

oldguyinTX
10-01-2017, 08:48 AM
Snoopy, I remember the days when you were treated like a dog on this forum. Then you dropped off the of radar for a while. Glad you came back.

Bob Denman
10-01-2017, 09:09 AM
:D Is he back here just to complain again? :roflblack:

:joke::joke::joke::joke::joke::joke::joke::joke:

oldguyinTX
10-01-2017, 07:40 PM
:D Is he back here just to complain again? :roflblack:

:joke::joke::joke::joke::joke::joke::joke::joke:

Now Bob.....Be nice to the dog.

oldguyinTX
10-02-2017, 07:51 PM
OK, here we go. No good deed goes unpunished.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?108513-SpyderCodes-no-longer

wd8ajj
10-02-2017, 10:00 PM
I was told to stay away from ALL 2013 models from our local dealer, and there not so good also. Wonder if all owners of 2013's got a class action suit against BRP and pulled the Feds in for not making a recall and lemon laws, there might be a reaction from BRP. Sometimes I get the feeling they don't care is there not an American company so the attitude is, So What, come and get me. Look what happened to VW could happen to BRP if everyone who has or had a 2013 and the dealers support there customer base got a class action suit going with the transportation and massive radio, TV and newspaper reports, BRP might start to wake up. Would be interesting what other BRP products have been whitewashed under the table. That could open a Pandora box that BRP is trying to hide! I think there are many US leagle firms that would like to make some extra money digging up the BRP story.

IdahoMtnSpyder
10-02-2017, 10:59 PM
I was told to stay away from ALL 2013 models from our local dealer, and there not so good also. Wonder if all owners of 2013's got a class action suit against BRP and pulled the Feds in for not making a recall and lemon laws, there might be a reaction from BRP. Sometimes I get the feeling they don't care is there not an American company so the attitude is, So What, come and get me. Look what happened to VW could happen to BRP if everyone who has or had a 2013 and the dealers support there customer base got a class action suit going with the transportation and massive radio, TV and newspaper reports, BRP might start to wake up. Would be interesting what other BRP products have been whitewashed under the table. That could open a Pandora box that BRP is trying to hide! I think there are many US leagle firms that would like to make some extra money digging up the BRP story.
Other than the aspect of BRP support this comment doesn't really fit in this thread, but I'll answer anyway. We can debate what prompted BRP to come up with a solution for the heat problem on the 2013s, but undoubtedly NHTSA had a lot to do with it. The heat recall by and large worked, and worked well. There has been little or no heat related problems reported here for the 2013s since it was done. The 2013s are proving to be a good machine, post heat recall fix. I had one. I don't know what the basis is for your local dealer saying to stay away from them. I think he's wrong.

A class action lawsuit over the 2013s would be a non-starter now. Other than the now fixed heat issue there have been so few safety problems with Spyders you would have a really hard time coming up with enough lawsuit fodder to get any lawyer to take it on.

kbwitt
10-02-2017, 11:07 PM
That's a bummer, you must have got a lemon. I have owned 3 different Spyders with no issues.
I think you should stop and really think about it. You have had 3 spiders and never had an issues?
Please tell me how many miles you put on these spyders.

SpyderAnn01
10-02-2017, 11:49 PM
Old guy I'm so sorry that you are stuck with your 13. I wish everyone could have been as lucky as me and had their 13 go up in flames.

Good of luck with your hip, I hope you heal quickly.

OKey
10-03-2017, 10:07 AM
BRP should invest some coin in creating some kind of zone rep system wherein a responsible individual can appear on scene for customers with the OP's kind of problems with the authority to cut through all the crap and get the customer's problem(s) resolved. JMO.

Amen!!!

jcthorne
10-03-2017, 10:22 AM
OK, here we go. No good deed goes unpunished.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?108513-SpyderCodes-no-longer

I don't think he is saying what you think he is.....

oldguyinTX
10-03-2017, 11:11 AM
I don't think he is saying what you think he is.....

My take on it is that he can no longer get the various codes through his "back door" A BRP, and that SpyderCodes will no longer be available on either iPhones or Android phones as the codes will no longer be able to be updated - that is with newer codes - and therefore will not be useful on 2018 models. Should still work on older models (I hope). Also, I think he meant that you can no longer pull codes up on the 2018's like we can on the "old fashioned" display. But, I could be wrong. Roger, a clarification, please?

Also, no reply from BRPCares (or not) to the Email I sent last Thursday.