PDA

View Full Version : air hawk or???

wmh9680
09-27-2017, 10:54 AM
Good morning. Like a lot of us I'm sure my butt gets sore when riding. I just picked up an airhawk and it helps but I find when I make a sharp turn the handle bars are hitting my legs now. I have very little air in it. Any other suggestions to be more comfortable. The bike came with a Comfort seat but we did not like it so I picked up a stock seat. I spent big bucks on a Russel Day Long seat for my Kawa Voyager and it didn't help with the pain. I also plan on getting the triaxis-handlebars--will that make the bars hit my legs more? I just had shoulder replacement so I would like the handle bars closer to me. Thanks, Mike

stillriding
09-27-2017, 12:06 PM
[QUOTE=wmh9680;1304108]Good morning. Like a lot of us I'm sure my butt gets sore when riding. I just picked up an airhawk and it helps but I find when I make a sharp turn the handle bars are hitting my legs now. I have very little air in it. Any other suggestions to be more comfortable. The bike came with a Comfort seat but we did not like it so I picked up a stock seat. I spent big bucks on a Russel Day Long seat for my Kawa Voyager and it didn't help with the pain. I also plan on getting the triaxis-handlebars--will that make the bars hit my legs more? I just had shoulder replacement so I would like the handle bars closer to me. Thanks, Mike[/QUOTEi-In addition to adjusting the bars forward or backwards with Tri-Axis, you'll also be able to adjust up and down.

wmh9680
09-27-2017, 12:12 PM
Thanks, I can't wait to get them, Thanks, Mike

keefer
09-27-2017, 04:50 PM
I ordered a Skwoosh XL Gel Seat Pad from Amazon. Rode 550 miles this weekend with zero tailbone pain. I used to start hurting after about 45 minutes on the comfort seat alone.
I also have the Tri-Axis bars and the bars do not hit my legs.

Buckeye Bleau
09-27-2017, 05:33 PM
I started my solution search with some dang tangled seat cover someone on SL suggested, it was a bust.

I then hen had a conversation with the guy at Misty Mountain Sheepskin Company and talked to him about his guarantee. Great guy and the product helped a lot. But it was not the final solution.

I went to JoAnn Fabrics and bought a piece of three inch thick furniture foam, spent some time cutting it with an electric carving knife and put it under the sheepskin, BOOYAH! :yes:

Joe

UtahPete
09-27-2017, 05:41 PM
(with the Airhawk)...when I make a sharp turn the handle bars are hitting my legs now. I have very little air in it. Any other suggestions to be more comfortable. The bike came with a Comfort seat but we did not like it so I picked up a stock seat. I spent big bucks on a Russel Day Long seat for my Kawa Voyager and it didn't help with the pain. I also plan on getting the triaxis-handlebars--will that make the bars hit my legs more? I just had shoulder replacement so I would like the handle bars closer to me. Thanks, Mike

How long is your inseam? Wondering about why the handlebars are hitting your legs to begin with. Why didn't you like the comfort seat? A little more info might help us help you.

Also, what do you mean in your signature block that you don't get email notifications?

robhowen
09-27-2017, 05:57 PM
For me the Tri-Axis bars were just what I needed; they brought the bars both up and closer to me which eliminated the pain between my shoulders. I used an Air Hawk until I replaced my seat with an Ultimate Seat, which is working well for me. For me the Air Hawk had to have so little air in it that it was almost no air at all, but it did help.

Rob

wmh9680
09-27-2017, 08:36 PM
How long is your inseam? Wondering about why the handlebars are hitting your legs to begin with. Why didn't you like the comfort seat? A little more info might help us help you.

Also, what do you mean in your signature block that you don't get email notifications?

Hi, My inseam is 32". I'm 5'9" and 170 lbs. I meant to say it was an Ultimate Tall Boy seat and that puts you back at little and takes that little away from the wife so it did not work for either one of us. Thanks, Mike

I never receive automatic replies to any posts even though I have signed up for them. I do receive them from other forums.

Default Thread Subscription Mode: Do not subscribe Through my control panel only Instantly, using email Daily, using email Weekly, using email When you post a new thread, or reply to a topic, you can choose to automatically add that thread to your list of subscribed threads (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/subscription.php), with the option to receive email notification of new replies to that thread.

wmh9680
09-27-2017, 08:37 PM
For me the Tri-Axis bars were just what I needed; they brought the bars both up and closer to me which eliminated the pain between my shoulders. I used an Air Hawk until I replaced my seat with an Ultimate Seat, which is working well for me. For me the Air Hawk had to have so little air in it that it was almost no air at all, but it did help.

Rob

Thanks, I can't wait to get the bars. Did you install them or have them installed. Thanks, Mike

UtahPete
09-29-2017, 10:24 AM
Hi, My inseam is 32". I'm 5'9" and 170 lbs. I meant to say it was an Ultimate Tall Boy seat and that puts you back at little and takes that little away from the wife so it did not work for either one of us. Thanks, Mike

You're the same size as me. I found the stock saddle to be too far forward for leg comfort, so installed highway pegs. That helped me stretch out my legs a bit. I already had the Tri-axial bars, but they didn't help my legs at all. I bought a comfort seat and that solved it for me. I traveled 700 miles in one day recently and was quite comfortable without any additional seat padding of any kind.

But, as you say, it takes away from the passenger comfort then. It's a compromise.

wmh9680
09-29-2017, 10:48 AM
You're the same size as me. I found the stock saddle to be too far forward for leg comfort, so installed highway pegs. That helped me stretch out my legs a bit. I already had the Tri-axial bars, but they didn't help my legs at all. I bought a comfort seat and that solved it for me. I traveled 700 miles in one day recently and was quite comfortable without any additional seat padding of any kind.

But, as you say, it takes away from the passenger comfort then. It's a compromise.

I also have Hiway pegs. I always had forward controls on all my 2 wheelers. As my wife says, I don't have much meat on my butt. Thanks
Mike

JayD
09-29-2017, 12:41 PM
TriAxis and Air Hawk did the trick for me.

ofdave
09-29-2017, 01:13 PM
I ordered a Skwoosh XL Gel Seat Pad from Amazon. Rode 550 miles this weekend with zero tailbone pain.

I have the same pad. Used it on my two wheeler but haven't needed it on my Spyder.
The Skwoosh is real comfortable. Got mine here:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/aaron's_garage/all_types/skwoosh/

this is also a great place for all types of clothing and helmets, been using them for 10 years or so

wmh9680
09-29-2017, 11:42 PM
TriAxis and Air Hawk did the trick for me.

Anyone install their TriAxis themselfs? Thanks, Mike

newbert
09-30-2017, 02:50 PM
I started my solution search with some dang tangled seat cover someone on SL suggested, it was a bust.

I then hen had a conversation with the guy at Misty Mountain Sheepskin Company and talked to him about his guarantee. Great guy and the product helped a lot. But it was not the final solution.

I went to JoAnn Fabrics and bought a piece of three inch thick furniture foam, spent some time cutting it with an electric carving knife and put it under the sheepskin, BOOYAH! :yes:

Joe

I read your solution with great interest, so I went to JoAnn Fabrics and got a 4 inch thick piece of foam to try. (My discomfort stems from a hip that cramps up, so need to keep that leg a bit straighter. I figured the extra inch might help with that.)

Today's a lousy day to ryde, so just took a short spin after doing a "rough cut" to the foam. I placed my Airhawk on top of the foam. It's hard to tell from just a short ride, but:

a) it's certainly softer on the butt, but

b) I feel a bit like Humpty Dumpty, sitting high in the middle and lower on the sides, so....

I'd like to carve out a 1/2 inch to 1 inch deep impression in the foam that the Airhawk would fit into. Any ideas on how to do that? Or are their any places that I can bring the Airhawk and foam piece to get that done well?

Thanks!

UtahPete
09-30-2017, 05:57 PM
I read your solution with great interest, so I went to JoAnn Fabrics and got a 4 inch thick piece of foam to try. I placed my Airhawk on top of the foam. I'd like to carve out a 1/2 inch to 1 inch deep impression in the foam that the Airhawk would fit into. Any ideas on how to do that? Or are their any places that I can bring the Airhawk and foam piece to get that done well? Thanks!

You need to be planted in the seat for safety. Have you considered this solution from one of our sponsors?

http://www.motorcycledave.com/custom-seats-heaters/instructions-for-motorcycle-daves-conformax-gel-foam-seat-kit/

KX5062
10-01-2017, 11:08 AM
Another option that many people like/prefer is a Beadrider beaded seat cover. They are counter intuitive, but can be very comfortable.

newbert
10-01-2017, 01:23 PM
You need to be planted in the seat for safety. Have you considered this solution from one of our sponsors?

http://www.motorcycledave.com/custom-seats-heaters/instructions-for-motorcycle-daves-conformax-gel-foam-seat-kit/

Didn't know about this, but thanks for the link. It appears that this requires cutting open the actual seat, which I would rather avoid.

UtahPete
10-01-2017, 03:50 PM
Didn't know about this, but thanks for the link. It appears that this requires cutting open the actual seat, which I would rather avoid.

Foam is foam. You can use the same technique for removing unwanted foam

newbert
10-01-2017, 04:32 PM
Foam is foam. You can use the same technique for removing unwanted foam

Hmmm....True. Something to try.

Thanks!

sealfloorboards
10-02-2017, 10:33 AM
I have an Ar Hawk and Tri Ax handelbars. For me it's a great combination.

wmh9680
10-02-2017, 10:55 AM
Anyone install their TriAxis themselfs? Thanks, Mike

I'm thinking of installing the traxis bars myself, Should I?

wrb3004
10-03-2017, 08:53 AM

I really like the flexibility of the tri-axis bars (should be standard equipment IMO) but had the dealer install after watching a video by "Finless Bob". Looks like quite a task.

finless
10-03-2017, 10:17 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Xna_VjqOc

Bob

remark2013
10-03-2017, 01:14 PM

I have installed two sets of Tri Axis bars. If you follow Bobs directions,(found in the DIY section) and you are a little bit mechanically inclined, you can do it. Take your time and before you realize it, you will be done. First set took me about 6 hours, second set more like 4. Good luck.

Kent