PDA

View Full Version : Pretend that BRP didn't own Rotax

ErictheBiking
05-11-2009, 06:01 PM
What motorcycle or small car (petrol or diesel) engine would you like to see in there?

Thinking about improved fuel economy as much as anything else.

My 4wd Subaru Liberty gets 36mpg (imperial) 4.54litres = 1 gallon.

My friends Hyundai does much better.

I know this is not going to happen; just find it interesting to speculate.

WackyDan
05-11-2009, 06:43 PM
Hard to say.

I think a 6th forward gear would do wonders for MPG versus a different engine.... The gearbox for the Spyder was supposed to have been designed from the ground up.... I find it hard to believe they didn't consider a 6th forward gear. Probably would put the SPyder at about a reliable 40+mpg on the highway.

But... As much as I love the V-Twin, I'm thinking a Inline four would potentially be ideal as well. That could route the exhaust much more efficient than the twin and maybe keep some of the pipe heat off your legs.

Firefly
05-11-2009, 07:24 PM
What motorcycle or small car (petrol or diesel) engine would you like to see in there?

Thinking about improved fuel economy as much as anything else.

My 4wd Subaru Liberty gets 36mpg (imperial) 4.54litres = 1 gallon.

My friends Hyundai does much better.

I know this is not going to happen; just find it interesting to speculate.

I bet the Subaru or Hyundai aren't as fun to drive-----:D

I would like a bigger Rotax---- don't care about the MPG much. 6th would be nice - and could be done---- but you'll give up reverse to do it.

So - anyone willing to give up reverse for 6th gear?

WackyDan
05-11-2009, 07:39 PM

I would like a bigger Rotax---- don't care about the MPG much. 6th would be nice - and could be done---- but you'll give up reverse to do it.

Why give up a gear? If it was designed from the grown up why didn't it have one to begin with? I'm betting it was already a proven gearbox and they redesigned to incorporate Reverse.

And no... I would not give up reverse.

BajaRon
05-11-2009, 07:59 PM
I think a 6th forward gear would do wonders for MPG versus a different engine.... The gearbox for the Spyder was supposed to have been designed from the ground up.... I find it hard to believe they didn't consider a 6th forward gear. Probably would put the SPyder at about a reliable 40+mpg on the highway.

This engine/gearbox is the same unit in the Aprilia sportbike. It was designed from the ground up for that application (I think).

That bike has a 6 speed transmission. But for the Spyder they took out 6th gear and put in a reverse.

They also re-tuned giving olur motor lower compression, and I'm sure other things, to get more torque and a wider powerband (giving up some peak HP).

I would like to see a diesel (maybe a 2 stroke diesel). The diesel engine is getting to where it puts out a ton of power and a twin would be plenty.

Sure a bit heavier but for the Spyder, that extra weight down low wouldn't mean much. You could get 50mpg with an increase in power.

Firefly
05-11-2009, 08:06 PM
Why give up a gear? If it was designed from the grown up why didn't it have one to begin with? I'm betting it was already a proven gearbox and they redesigned to incorporate Reverse.

And no... I would not give up reverse.

Basically same engine from the Aprilla bikes - 6 speeds. Just so happens they don't need reverse on race bikes-----:D

ataDude
05-11-2009, 08:22 PM
My vote is for a Kawa ZX1400 inline four... or even the milder version used in the Concours.

ataDude
05-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Why did I know you'd say that? :clap:

BTW... no joy on the new toy... wouldn't negotiate at all.

S&S 145":D

http://www.12gagekustoms.com.au/images/lge_145tribute.jpg

McGone
05-11-2009, 08:49 PM
[quote=BajaRon;97495]
I would like to see a diesel (maybe a 2 stroke diesel). The diesel engine is getting to where it puts out a ton of power and a twin would be plenty.

I think the EPA requirements have done away with all the on-road 2 stroke diesels. They could not meet the particulate (soot) requirements. A turbo diesel would be great, but better get better than +40 MPG so we would not have to be finding diesel fuel pump.

retread
05-11-2009, 10:29 PM
How about a Triumph Rocket 3 engine with an auxillary forward-reverse box and shaft drive?

john

Star Cruiser
05-12-2009, 12:38 AM

70mph in 4th and I cruise nicely in 5th at 80 mph. Not sure I go fast enough to use a 6th gear :dontknow:. I think I prefer the "R" over too many speeding tickets.

Lamonster
05-12-2009, 04:43 AM
How about a Triumph Rocket 3 engine with an auxillary forward-reverse box and shaft drive?

john
:agree:
And the ugly would be hid behind the panels :thumbup:

johnboyjohn.pretious
05-12-2009, 05:01 AM
HDXBONES

NO NO NO NO NO DEFINATELY NOT.

I got my Spyder for what it is.

Had I wanted to modify or change anything abuot it I would not have got my Spyder but had somthing made to my spec, or made it myself.

I keep wondering why so many want to change or have changed such a great machine.
:dontknow:

Cliff-Co.
05-12-2009, 02:10 PM
:agree:
And the ugly would be hid behind the panels :thumbup: How's about a Harley-Porsch made V-Rod engine, engine and tranny allin one same-o as Rotex :chat:

Lamonster
05-12-2009, 02:27 PM
How's about a Harley-Porsch made V-Rod engine, engine and tranny allin one same-o as Rotex :chat:
Another great choice :thumbup:

b2k
05-12-2009, 02:37 PM
how about a valk motor with a lamonster supercharger :ohyea:

opticat
05-12-2009, 03:21 PM
I agree with Harley's Revolution engine from the V-Rod!

decco
05-12-2009, 05:00 PM
I think the obvious choice for me would be the Apprillia RSV4 engine. 180bhp 3 different fuel maps and a sound to die for, bet it would slot straight in as well. Its only a matter of time. I hope.

Smylinacha
05-12-2009, 06:11 PM
A big ole Hemi like my Charger!:2thumbs: Add dual exhaust - preferably big ole stacks on the back - then I'd be stylin!

AMTJIM
05-12-2009, 07:47 PM
http://www.marineturbine.com/motorcycles.asp

John in PA
05-13-2009, 06:04 AM
How about the V-4 out of the Honda ST1300?