PDA

View Full Version : Spyder ST LTD

donner1954
09-26-2017, 12:43 PM
I am looking into this Spyder, need some input, the good, the bad.

I had an RT and had to sell it because I was having hip pain.

Has anyone gone from an RT to an ST?

Saluda
09-26-2017, 01:29 PM
I did the opposite, ST to RT. Had no problems with the machine, loved how you could wind up that motor. Check the oil stick regular. No heat issues with mine. Good luck.

Bob Denman
09-26-2017, 01:32 PM
:welcome:
The seating positions of the two bikes are pretty similar: are you sure that the ST-L won't cause the same pain? :dontknow:
Perhaps an extended test ride can help you decide...
Happy shopping! :thumbup:

ARtraveler
09-26-2017, 01:41 PM
The twin cylinder engine is discontinued as well the ST and RS models. Unless you are getting a real good price to cover the pain and suffering that will happen when you try to re-sell it...I would advise that a 1330 three cylinder is a better machine to re-consider. RT of course. F3 is cruiser style and may not be right for you. Test drives will solve the questions though.

Wishing you good luck with your hunt. :yes:

classicvw
09-26-2017, 02:18 PM
I have the same concern. It's not that different.

:welcome:
The seating positions of the two bikes are pretty similar: are you sure that the ST-L won't cause the same pain? :dontknow:
Perhaps an extended test ride can help you decide...
Happy shopping! :thumbup:

donner1954
09-26-2017, 05:51 PM
Well, to late, it is sold.

Anybody else have hip pain when riding the Spyder???

ARtraveler
09-26-2017, 08:19 PM
Well, to late, it is sold.

Anybody else have hip pain when riding the Spyder???

I was in a wheel chair for over three years. I could walk about 10 feet, but could not put much weight on the leg. Heart issues prevented me from hip replacement surgery.

I put floorboards on my 2010 and 11. The 14 came with them. In addition to floorboards, I had both an Airhawk inflatable cushion and a sheepskin gel--as well as the BRP Comfort seat. The Airhawk and sheepskin was used sometimes singly and sometimes in combination. The final year, there were times when I could only go 50 miles at a time. Most other years, I rode with some pain--but at least I rode.

Hip surgery happened in January of 2017. By June, I bought another two wheel motorcycle to add to my stable. Riding is no longer an issue. I already have 3,000 miles on the two wheeler and a bit more than that on my Spyder so far this year. :thumbup:

donner1954
09-26-2017, 08:39 PM
My pain would go away if I moved my ass back in the seat, but that would end up on the passenger side of the seat.

Or if I would stretch my leg forward but there was no support without a foot peg.

loisk
09-26-2017, 09:49 PM
Yes I had some hip pain on both Rs and st, not too much but some days ..l I can't even sit on an rt without hip going ouch! I must have weird hips...

Now I have an f3s which is brilliant for me - I do not have my feet way out in front - just a bit further forward than they were on the st. Added floorboards so I can move left foot around (left side is my problem) which is all I need.

You will need to take some really loooong test rides I think. Have fun.

ps I suspect it all had something to do with the st floorboards leaning down, ie toe down, pegs may have been better but the st ltd came with the boards.

Bob Denman
09-27-2017, 06:55 AM
During a long day of riding (8 hours or more...); my hips will start complaining a bit. I suspect that it's a perfectly natural thing, By standing up on the floorboards and stretching, and keeping my feet moving around: I can usually work the cramps out quickly! :thumbup:
(We've ridden as many as 15 hours in a single day...)

donner1954
09-27-2017, 07:08 AM
Yes I had some hip pain on both Rs and st, not too much but some days ..l I can't even sit on an rt without hip going ouch! I must have weird hips...

Now I have an f3s which is brilliant for me - I do not have my feet way out in front - just a bit further forward than they were on the st. Added floorboards so I can move left foot around (left side is my problem) which is all I need.

You will need to take some really loooong test rides I think. Have fun.

ps I suspect it all had something to do with the st floorboards leaning down, ie toe down, pegs may have been better but the st ltd came with the boards.

It wont take long to detect, I bought that RT 150 miles from home and my hips were complaining within 50 miles. You said the F3 was better???

Don

ARtraveler
09-27-2017, 02:27 PM
Another thought comes to mind. The OEM seat--for me--is a torture device in itself. Feels good when first sat on, but became a torture device for me after 50 miles or so. I have replaced 5 out of 5 OEM seats. Two Corbins and three BRP Comfort were my winners. There are many options there. Just do a search for seats. :yes::yes:

donner1954
09-27-2017, 05:08 PM
Took an F3-T for a ride today, drove it for over an hour and what a difference that ride is compared to the RT.

Going back tomorrow and take it for a short ride so see how the hip responds.

It is a 2017 demo with 600 miles on it...

Don

loisk
09-27-2017, 05:30 PM
For me, yes, f3s way better for the hips.

If possible I suggest you test ride with a drivers backrest - somehow this really helps too, all part of the hip-friendly package for me.

donner1954
09-27-2017, 07:35 PM
I will give that a try...