PDA

View Full Version : NUMBER OF MILES - AFTER - THE LOW WARNING COMES ON

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-24-2017, 07:23 PM
In 8 years since I started owning Spyders , I had never run out of Gas ..... until today, I was stretching it, and not going slow to extend my run time .... actually I was still Cranking ( like to pass etc. ).... from the time the Low Light stayed on steadily , I went another 40 miles ( 2014 RT ) .... if I had slowed down I think it would have been 45..... after it shut down, I hit the " kill " switch and rolled to a stop off the road .... I emptied my Sauza Tequila bottle ( 750 ml. ) and traveled another 8 miles and got a fill-up ...6.5 gal,.... Mike :thumbup:

canamjhb
09-24-2017, 10:13 PM
After finally finding the bottom of the tank, I hope you emptied the Sauza in the appropriate orifice.....:roflblack:

RinconRyder
09-24-2017, 10:28 PM
In 8 years since I started owning Spyders , I had never run out of Gas ..... until today, I was stretching it, and not going slow to extend my run time .... actually I was still Cranking ( like to pass etc. ).... from the time the Low Light stayed on steadily , I went another 40 miles ( 2014 RT ) .... if I had slowed down I think it would have been 45..... after it shut down, I hit the " kill " switch and rolled to a stop off the road .... I emptied my Sauza Tequila bottle ( 750 ml. ) and traveled another 8 miles and got a fill-up ...6.5 gal,.... Mike :thumbup:

I have always been warned not to let an injected engine run out of gas as damage to the injectors could result.

Chupaca
09-24-2017, 10:32 PM
I have run all my bikes all the way to empty. That way when the light comes on I set the trip and know how far I can go. Like you I have a liter fuel bottle just in case..:thumbup: but mine is a fuel bottle metal....:roflblack: no mistakes....

Poseidon
09-24-2017, 11:34 PM
It is pretty easy math. Ride it until the light come on. Fill it up. Subtract the gallons it took to fill it up from how many gallons the tank is. I don't remember tank size off the top of my head. Once you do the math, you will know how many gallons you had when the light came on. If you keep track of your mileage, you should know what kind of mileage you normally get. Don't go by the computer. Calculate you mileage each time you fill up. Then use your worst mileage you've gotten and multiply it by the gallons of fuel you had when you filled up.

That way way you know how far you can go without running out of gas.

SpyderAnn01
09-25-2017, 12:02 AM
On the F3 the light comes on as soon as the gauge drops to the last bar and I figure that will get me about 25 miles.

Bob Denman
09-25-2017, 06:51 AM
My Bike's light would reliably let me know when I had reached a 5.5 gallon fill-up. If you went another 40 or so miles past that: it sure would put you at the 6.5 gallon mark.
So now you know! :thumbup:

Gator37
09-25-2017, 08:23 AM

Thanks Mike, was wondering about that. Have the same Spyder and yesterday on my ride to Red Rock my low fuel light came on and in Utah stations are miles apart. I made it however and took 5.8 gal. Kind of had me worried for a bit, and I haven't ever carried extra fuel. Might be an option.:yikes:

tip
09-25-2017, 08:29 AM
On a recent trip I ran until the last bar showed. It took 6.23 gallons in my '17 FE SE6.
Too close for me

UtahPete
09-25-2017, 08:45 AM
It is pretty easy math. Ride it until the light come on. Fill it up. Subtract the gallons it took to fill it up from how many gallons the tank is. I don't remember tank size off the top of my head. Once you do the math, you will know how many gallons you had when the light came on. If you keep track of your mileage, you should know what kind of mileage you normally get. Don't go by the computer. Calculate you mileage each time you fill up. Then use your worst mileage you've gotten and multiply it by the gallons of fuel you had when you filled up. That way way you know how far you can go without running out of gas.

That sounds good in theory and works for me most of the time. But variables like headwinds, road speed, long mountain grades, etc can play havoc with anticipated mpg.

UtahPete
09-25-2017, 08:49 AM
Thanks Mike, was wondering about that. Have the same Spyder and yesterday on my ride to Red Rock my low fuel light came on and in Utah stations are miles apart. I made it however and took 5.8 gal. Kind of had me worried for a bit, and I haven't ever carried extra fuel. Might be an option.

Nevada is worse. There is one stretch of road that has 206 miles between any services.

How far did you travel between when the warning light came on and the next fillup? Sounds like you had at least 1 gallon left at fillup. My rough calculations indicate 1-1/2 gals at warning light and 1 gallon at the white line.

easysuper
09-25-2017, 09:12 AM
I led a group of riders on a ride this weekend and when we got to the last gas station that we were going to pass for a good 80 miles I asked the one 998 rider how much gas she had and she said "3 bars" stupid me took that to mean 3/4 tank left and I said OK any one who wants to top off do it now, she chose not to. the route I was taking them was a scenic byway up over a mountain pass that was curvy and about half was single lane . When we stopped at a campground that had a rest room she asked me when the next gas station was and I told her a good 40 miles. She then told me she would not make it , when I said you told me you had 3/4 she said no I said 3 bars I then understood she meant 3/8 tank left. Of course since it was a day ride and I knew the roads I was not packing my extra fuel cell, It was down hill all the way to town and her light was on when got to the station but she made it. That is the big reason I don't pass a gas station if I don't know the route myself. I have always wanted to run mine out then see how far I can make it but never had the nerve, I'm always afraid it will run out on a bad stretch of road.

Pirate looks at --
09-25-2017, 09:13 AM
Nevada is worse. There is one stretch of road that has 206 miles between any services.

How far did you travel between when the warning light came on and the next fillup? Sounds like you had at least 1 gallon left at fillup. My rough calculations indicate 1-1/2 gals at warning light and 1 gallon at the white line.
Pete, you must have been on Highway 50! I know the stations on Highway 80 are much closer together. We were able to stop every 100 miles or so on 80.

Ex-Rocket
09-25-2017, 09:55 AM
Yeah, rode that Hwy back in July. Gas stations are few and far between.

UtahPete
09-25-2017, 10:12 AM
Pete, you must have been on Highway 50! I know the stations on Highway 80 are much closer together. We were able to stop every 100 miles or so on 80.

Actually, it was further south. From Caliente to Tonopah. Nothing there.

The ironic part is that I had no problem making it that distance with gas to spare because conditions were ideal. It was the return trip, this time on US-6 and US-50, that I ran out of gas twice, even though the distance between fillups in places was only 165 miles or so, because adverse weather and road conditions gave me much lower mileage than what I was figuring.

I definitely need to start carrying spare gas going through Nevada...

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-25-2017, 10:23 AM
I have always been warned not to let an injected engine run out of gas as damage to the injectors could result.
:banghead: .... Do you think I did it on Purpose .... :gaah:..... Mike :thumbup:

Lew L
09-25-2017, 10:27 AM
Thanks Pete,

I've come close, Nova was a "bit " upset. Got gas in a place called Rattlesnake, in Calif desert.

Kaos

PS: I think that's hwy 6. Some great woops on that road. ( it taken at speed)

UtahPete
09-25-2017, 10:37 AM
Thanks Pete, I've come close, Nova was a "bit " upset. Got gas in a place called Rattlesnake, in Calif desert. PS: I think that's hwy 6. Some great woops on that road. ( it taken at speed)

From Panaca (point C) to Tonopah (point D) heading west on my southern route.

https://www.google.com/maps/@37.7029915,-116.5267813,8.75z/data=!4m2!6m1!1s1DOrfq2AMO0rv6FBwo8NZ8jDv5mA

Bob Denman
09-25-2017, 10:59 AM
:banghead: .... Do you think I did it on Purpose .... :gaah:..... Mike :thumbup:

:D Don't let it worry you: Sh...:shocked: Crap happens! :thumbup:

classicvw
09-25-2017, 01:11 PM
That sounds good in theory and works for me most of the time. But variables like headwinds, road speed, long mountain grades, etc can play havoc with anticipated mpg.

Re-read Poseidon's next to last sentence. Pretty much covers your scenarios.

UtahPete
09-25-2017, 01:22 PM
Re-read Poseidon's next to last sentence. Pretty much covers your scenarios.

Yes, but up until then I had been averaging between 36 to 42 mpg at each fillup. My overall for the 2000 mile trip was 36.6 mpg. The stretch where I ran out I got less than 30 mpg.

Easy Rider
09-25-2017, 01:33 PM

It is not the injectors so much as it is the high pressure fuel pump.......that can't run very long without the liquid fuel to cool it.

RinconRyder
09-25-2017, 01:44 PM

From your post I thought it was intentional BUT my post was not intended to be critical. I was posting the warning (1) to see if it was true (I believe it is) and (2) to warn others who might think there is no problem running out of gas.

RinconRyder
09-25-2017, 01:45 PM
It is not the injectors so much as it is the high pressure fuel pump.......that can't run very long without the liquid fuel to cool it.

That is true for cars and trucks but I didn't know the Spyder's fuel pump was located inside the gas tank. Probably should have assumed.

heyharris1
09-25-2017, 02:54 PM
I normally don't take chances as I do not like being stuck on the side of the highway. The farthest I have ever traveled without stopping was 125 miles. Usually I try and stop about every hundred miles if something is close. I have just never been one to push it.

Jim

ARtraveler
09-25-2017, 03:01 PM
Actual experience--one time only. 998 twin. Refuel light on at 150 miles. Rode it to 184 miles. The gauge was below empty. Took 5.8 gallons.

Never done it with the 1330. The light goes on about 210. Most times I fill before the light goes on. Gotta keep Linda and the 998 happy. :yes:

On actual distance rides--I am ready to get off and stretch about 125 into the ride. Gas and other stops work just fine. :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-25-2017, 08:25 PM
From your post I thought it was intentional BUT my post was not intended to be critical. I was posting the warning (1) to see if it was true (I believe it is) and (2) to warn others who might think there is no problem running out of gas. OK , from your wording it sounded otherwise .... and my explanation of what happened in My original post explained the circumstances ....... :thumbup:..........Mike :bbq:

Fire34
09-26-2017, 11:32 AM
I am getting around 34 mpg on a 2013 RT the previous owner had 170 miles for his low fueld time to fuel up warning which to me comes into about the same 40 to fifty miles to empty, since i am new to the spyder world I beleive I will stick with his expeience
Dave

Docster
09-26-2017, 01:34 PM
It is pretty easy math. Ride it until the light come on. Fill it up. Subtract the gallons it took to fill it up from how many gallons the tank is. I don't remember tank size off the top of my head. Once you do the math, you will know how many gallons you had when the light came on. If you keep track of your mileage, you should know what kind of mileage you normally get. Don't go by the computer. Calculate you mileage each time you fill up. Then use your worst mileage you've gotten and multiply it by the gallons of fuel you had when you filled up.

That way way you know how far you can go without running out of gas.
:agree: Its really that easy. I've only had a Spyder for 3 months but know how many miles I have at 55 mph after the light comes on. All part of knowing the bike.

UtahPete
09-26-2017, 01:49 PM
:agree: Its really that easy. I've only had a Spyder for 3 months but know how many miles I have at 55 mph after the light comes on. All part of knowing the bike.

You either have not been following the posts, or you have never ridden across the Nevada desert on secondary roads, or both. Under controlled conditions (constant speed, no headwinds, flat terrain and no need to accelerate to overtake slow-moving trucks and RV's), estimating how far one can go on a gallon of gas is a piece of cake. Even I can do that nojoke

ARtraveler
09-26-2017, 02:01 PM
It is good to have an "idea" of how far you can go on a gallon of gas. But, just like octane, oil brands, and tires, there are a lot of outside variables to consider. Will this be the time that your estimate is "under" normal?

The best answer is to fill when you see it on those longer trips. I would rather be riding with a topped off tank, than hoping the next gas station is open or still in business. That is my rule when riding in Alaska. When driving in uncharted territory, fill it when you see it.

In lower 48--most stations are less than 150 miles apart. That should cover 95% of the situation. If you run into 175 +, then it may be wise to carry a couple gallons--just in case. I have not felt the need to carry extra gas--anywhere so far.

My limit was posted earlier in the thread. Just some additional .02. :thumbup: