PDA

View Full Version : Test Ride a TriGlide

Spyder_Cowgirl
09-22-2017, 09:07 PM
The local HD shop, Red River Harley Davidson, has an open house and demo days today and tomorrow. Most Saturdays, this shop also buys burgers and hotdogs / sausages for local charities to cook up for donations -- their weekly "Burger Burn". Our Legion Riders chapter from Post 202 in Wichita Falls is the designated charity (and cooks) for this Saturday (9/23/17). Hubby suggested, since it is also "demo days" that I should see if I can try out a TriGlide. No, I am not looking to replace my Spyder ... but, those who know my history know that I will never ride on 2 again (head on collision in 1993).

So .. with that being said, I know there are several here that have:

Both a Spyder and a TriGlide
Have moved from a TriGlide to a Spyder
Have moved from a Spyder to a TriGlide

I know this is going to be "different" -- most concerned about steering and cornering. I have enough miles from years past that I am not worried about having to use a clutch and front brake. Sure, it will take a bit of practice, but muscle memory is an amazing thing.

Any words of wisdom? Trying to keep open mind on this ... who knows, I might really like it.

All the best .... Ann

4 MARIE
09-22-2017, 09:12 PM
With your spyder you can see where the widest part of your ride is.
With the tri glide you cannot. Most heard complaint ... running up and/or over things with your back wheels.
(think curb at corner

canamjhb
09-22-2017, 09:15 PM
You'll do just fine. Slow and easy. And, it will come back to you.

heyharris1
09-22-2017, 09:20 PM
You will do fine. It's something you don't forget. I had not ridden in a long time and I hopped on my sons ninja and it all instantly came back. Have fun and enjoy.

Jim

DGoebel
09-22-2017, 09:24 PM
Please let us know your impressions, I took one out on a Rental for a day before I bought our Spyder. A remarkable day I'll never forget.

Chupaca
09-23-2017, 12:14 AM
Should be a fun day..:yes:including a test ride on a triglide..:clap:then you get to tell us all about it...:lecturef_smilie:

PaladinLV
09-23-2017, 12:16 AM
My words of Wisdom:
Stick with the Spyder!

AJ

The local HD shop, Red River Harley Davidson, has an open house and demo days today and tomorrow. Most Saturdays, this shop also buys burgers and hotdogs / sausages for local charities to cook up for donations -- their weekly "Burger Burn". Our Legion Riders chapter from Post 202 in Wichita Falls is the designated charity (and cooks) for this Saturday (9/23/17). Hubby suggested, since it is also "demo days" that I should see if I can try out a TriGlide. No, I am not looking to replace my Spyder ... but, those who know my history know that I will never ride on 2 again (head on collision in 1993).

I know this is going to be "different" -- most concerned about steering and cornering. I have enough miles from years past that I am not worried about having to use a clutch and front brake. Sure, it will take a bit of practice, but muscle memory is an amazing thing.

Any words of wisdom? Trying to keep open mind on this ... who knows, I might really like it.

All the best .... Ann

SpyderAnn01
09-23-2017, 01:33 AM
I took one for a test drive during an event at the Kansas City Manufacturing plant and i hated it. All of my Spyders have been manuals so shifting was no issue, the handling was the issue. At 65 mph on the expressway I thought my glasses were going to shake off my head and I was wearing a full face helmet.

biker01red
09-23-2017, 05:41 AM

All the best .... Ann

With the fixed rear axle, no independent suspension, they ride and steer like an old truck !!!!!!!!

blacklightning
09-23-2017, 06:56 AM
I rented one in Gatlinburg, Tn 3 years ago. During the first few miles, i couldn't stand it. Around the 25+ mile mark it started to grow on me. For me, anything less than a 25 mile ride is a waste of time. Good luck.

trikermutha
09-23-2017, 07:08 AM
Push Pull when steering and a bit harder to turn. Get ready to be bounced around from the straight axle.

They may have improved the TRIGLIDE some what but does not compare to the SPYDER.

May be a bit hotter to since the engine and pipe are exposed. I know my 2010 was a cooker on real hot days since the cat/header was on the right side.

ofdave
09-23-2017, 07:41 AM
it sure won't corner like a Spyder.

Road-Kill
09-23-2017, 07:51 AM
My buddy owns a 2017 TriGlide he bought last year. I get a chance to ride his every once in a while and it reminds me why I would never buy a TriGlide (or a Harley). He loves it because it's a Harley and he admits to it. The difference between us is I demand quality and would dump Can-Am if it wasn't. Too many differences between the bikes to list.

Bob Denman
09-23-2017, 08:08 AM
Hi Anne! :D
You're gonna have a GREAT day trying out the Tri-Glide... and any other Harley that catches your eye! :yes:
I've spent a fair amount of time behind the bars on a Tri-G; I've developed some pretty distinct impressions about them:
1. They are very comfortable to sit on. All of the controls fall readily to hand, the seat is comfy, the riding position is natural... :thumbup:
2. Fire them up... and stuff starts changing... :shocked: The controls all feel very heavy, that big Vee-Twin makes a ton of noise and even more heat. Yes: they smooth out a operating rpm levels, but the shaking at idle can be a distraction.
3. CLUNK it into gear, and the heavy controls start to feel heavier... The steering effort is a full step above any Spyder! You feel the road surface irregularities far more that you do on a Spyder.
4. At speed: those big suckers really understeer in the turns!!! :yikes: Those two big rear tires tend to want to push that single tire up front straight down the road. There is a distinct tendency to run wide in the turns. Is it dangerous? No! But you need to be aware of it...
5. The torque of those engines is just amazing!!! :bowdown: Third gear roll-ons will make the front-end get light! :yes::yes::yes:

6. Did I mention the heat coming off of that rear cylinder? Your right knee will know EXACTLY how the right foot of a 998 Spyder rider feels!

Have fun, and let us know what your impressions are! Happy Hunting!!

robhowen
09-23-2017, 08:15 AM
I had a TriGlide prior to my current 2015 RT Limited. This has resulted in my strong preference for the Spyder. In general the differences I find are:

You will notice significant cornering differences given the two wheels in the rear and solid axle.
Riding on a more rounded road can be tiring on the HD as it continues to want to push you to the lower side of the road.
Everything about steering and riding on the Spyder is more nimble. The HD is not bad, but you fight it more.
Much more heat from the HD engine vs. the Spyder.
The electric reverse is capable, but nothing like the Spyder.
I like on the HD that all of the storage is in the rear.
More vibration on the HD that is not a big deal for a short ride but tires you more on a longer ride.
I’m only 5’8” so I had to change to a pull back set of bars and that ended up being very expensive because the hydraulic and throttle lines had to be changed as well. I had to go to go to the Tri-Axis bars on the Spyder for the same reason; it was a bit less expensive.
After 3 different seats I never got one that was really great for me.
I never ran over anything with my rear wheels, but I was sure close a couple of times.
The quality differences on the HD have me preferring a Spyder.
The greatest distinction is that I get much more joy from riding the Spyder and it’s resulted in my putting the most miles, in the shortest time ever on my Spyder vs. the TriGlide or any 2-wheeled bike I've ever had!

The best to you in your decision making.

Rob

trikermutha
09-23-2017, 08:41 AM
I did hear the new M8 engine by HD and its way more quite than the twin cam was..

I went form a Tri to a Spyder and see no reason to go back at this time. I been really happy with the 1330.
But like anything you have to make it yours with comfort and other crap on it :roflblack:

The Harley compensators are junk

ARtraveler
09-23-2017, 02:28 PM
First of all: Enjoy your test ride and be careful--it don't drive like a :ani29:--but you know that already.

When RTS first came out in 2010--I was in the market for the "touring" version :spyder2:. Even though I already had experience with two RS models...I had to try the Glide out.

Went to HD dealer, test sat, started it up, and that was enough. It did not feel right, the ergos were just not for me, and the sound of that engine and the shaking when started up were not to my liking. The controls were also way to hard for me to operate comfortably. They wanted a $5K price mark up from suggested MSRP. That also turned me off. Since they were newly introduced that year--it was take it or leave it on the price.

I have the same feeling about price and ergos on the F3. I am in the minority there. :thumbup:

Peter Aawen
09-23-2017, 08:51 PM
...... I have the same feeling about price and ergos on the F3. I am in the minority there. :thumbup:

I think you might be surprised at how many of us there actually are quietly lurking around out here..... :sour:

Mind you, there'd be a whole lotta things like odd ergo's & a small degree of excess price that I'd probably excuse if they'd only relax the Spyder's Nanny a bit more, allow us to run some proper tires, & upgrade the engine to provide some real power - that I/c turbo maybe?!? :2thumbs: :yes:

In the meantime, I guess a fella just hasta keep on dreaming.... and fit more farkles! ;)

old Timer
09-24-2017, 05:08 AM
There is a good reason that the 3 wheeled ATV's were discontinued some years ago. A one wheel in front and two in the back (Conventicle Trike) is inherently unstable when doing anything other than going in a straight line as the shift in weight wants to make the vehicle roll over. There is an inordinate amount of accidents up here in the Smokies with the conventional trike set up. Appling the brakes in a turn even makes the problem worse. Over cooking a turn up here in these wonderful roads at best is a very scary proposition and at worse............:yikes:

Bob Denman
09-24-2017, 07:53 AM
There is a good reason that the 3 wheeled ATV's were discontinued some years ago. A one wheel in front and two in the back (Conventicle Trike) is inherently unstable when doing anything other than going in a straight line as the shift in weight wants to make the vehicle roll over. There is an inordinate amount of accidents up here in the Smokies with the conventional trike set up. Appling the brakes in a turn even makes the problem worse. Over cooking a turn up here in these wonderful roads at best is a very scary proposition and at worse............:yikes:
This discussion has absolutely NOTHING to do with the ATC debacle... nojoke
Many of those little buggers had virtually no suspension, had relied on low tire pressures to keep you "bouncing" down the trail.
It was the downhill off-camber situations that eventually killed them. It seems that a lot of folks simply could not learn how to ride them well-enough to navigate the typical conditions that they would encounter. :banghead:
(I had several ATCs AND ATVs over the years.)

Our Spyders aren't a whole lot less "inherently unstable; we just have a kick-ass VSS to keep us upright! :bowdown:

trikermutha
09-24-2017, 08:03 AM
:agree: whole different piece of machinery there.

Bob Denman
09-24-2017, 08:25 AM
Talk about ATVs being unstable:

This Grizzly tried to kill me at least a hundred times. :yikes:
there were knifefights, poisonings, kidnappings, more blunt force trauma than a football team could endure, impalements, several explosions, and a drowning or two...

I never had so much fun, while trying to die! :thumbup:

Machinegunner
09-24-2017, 09:56 AM
Bob, I rolled a Honda Big Red over backwards and broke my back. If my youngest son (who was on the back) hadn't jumped I would have landed on him and think the worst would have happened. I landed in a hole with a rock in it and the three wheeler landed on top of me. I don't like trikes to say the least. The broken vertebrae bothers me to this day. Love my Spyder.

Bob Denman
09-24-2017, 11:42 AM
:yikes: Glad to hear that your Son avoided the worst of it! :thumbup:
But I do seem to recall that none of the ATCs ever remotely suggested that it was okay to carry passengers...
...And you went over backwards: Q.E.D.
(Sorry...)

ridesilver2009
09-24-2017, 01:31 PM

All the best .... Ann
Participated in a "3 Wheel Ready To Ride" safety course yesterday. 3 Harleys, 3 Spyder RT's , and me on my GS Spyder. The Harleys tipped on 2 wheels in one exercise. SPYDERS---No Problems on the curves---Movin' on on my Spyders and never looking back. Ryde on safely..

CA Railwhale
09-24-2017, 02:06 PM
This discussion has absolutely NOTHING to do with the ATC debacle... nojoke
Many of those little buggers had virtually no suspension, had relied on low tire pressures to keep you "bouncing" down the trail.
It was the downhill off-camber situations that eventually killed them. It seems that a lot of folks simply could not learn how to ride them well-enough to navigate the typical conditions that they would encounter. :banghead:
(I had several ATCs AND ATVs over the years.)

Our Spyders aren't a whole lot less "inherently unstable; we just have a kick-ass VSS to keep us upright! :bowdown:

As I understand it, a tricycle is inherently unstable, but a reverse tricycle is inherently stable. It you look at both it makes sense, in slowing down or turning the mass on a standard trike shifts to the narrowest part of the bike, on a reverse trike it's just the opposite.

Bob Denman
09-24-2017, 05:06 PM
Try backing your Spyder up at full-speed (9 mph...), and cut the bars fully to the left or the right...
:lecturef_smilie: When you turn the bike upright: tell me how stable they are!

BoilerAnimal
09-24-2017, 05:18 PM
Try backing your Spyder up at full-speed (9 mph...), and cut the bars fully to the left or the right...
:lecturef_smilie: When you turn the bike upright: tell me how stable they are!

With that kind of reasoning, then that would mean that you couldn't make the same turn on a regular trike going forwards at 9 MPH.

DGoebel
09-24-2017, 05:24 PM
I'm going out to see If I'm even comfortable hitting 9 MPH in reverse on my Spyder, wonder what's the max speed of a Triglide in Reverse? Just wondering.....:doorag:

quasi
09-24-2017, 05:48 PM
I'm going out to see If I'm even comfortable hitting 9 MPH in reverse on my Spyder, wonder what's the max speed of a Triglide in Reverse? Just wondering.....:doorag:

prolly about 1/4 mph running off of the starter.

trikermutha
09-24-2017, 06:04 PM
The TRI GLide barely moves compared to the Spyder in reverse and they are always broken or tripping the breaker.

Spyder_Cowgirl
09-24-2017, 09:08 PM
It was FUN!:2thumbs: Mind you, I have not ridden a motorcycle with a clutch in nearly 25 years ... quit in 1993 (after my accident on 2). This was a guided ride and I know I can take a TriGlide out from RRHD any time if I want more time in the saddle. The ride was about 30 minutes, probably every bit of 30 to 35 miles over varied terrain. Most of the ride, I was in 4th and 5th gear ... did get up to 6th for about a mile.

I only missed one shift, only reached for the thumb shifter once, and almost forgot to pull the clutch in at a stop sign once. Had a bit of trouble with the friction zone on take off ... but, once moving ..... oh MAN did I power through those shifts (fast and smooth)! I had forgotten how much fun it is to coordinate the throttle, clutch, and foot for a fast and smooth shift -- had a blast! I was near the back of the pack and the "sweep" behind me was impressed with my shifts -- even commented that he noticed I was leaning in the corners. Not so much a lean as I do on the :spyder2:, but more tucking my knee against the tank on the inside of the turn for stability. The TriGlide did not fit me well, I had to stretch with both arms and legs, so it would not have been comfortable for any more than the ride I took (that can all be altered, I know). Stuck with the toe shifter (it had a heal as well); my fingers are long, so no trouble reaching clutch or front brake. For this short ride, I just used the brake pedal since the new TriGlides have balanced braking if you just use the rear (applied both front and rear).

Am I ready to give up my Spyder? Oh heck NO! But, it is tempting to add the TriGlide to our stable and just have two seats for it (apparently it is very easy to swap). That way, both hubby and I could ride it and it could be a backup ride for him when his ankle (shattered in 2012 motorcycle accident), doesn't want to push the Indian around. Just having a hard time justifying THREE motorcycles .... then again, it sure would be FUN!

All the best .... Ann

old Timer
09-25-2017, 06:15 AM
As I understand it, a tricycle is inherently unstable, but a reverse tricycle is inherently stable. It you look at both it makes sense, in slowing down or turning the mass on a standard trike shifts to the narrowest part of the bike, on a reverse trike it's just the opposite.

Not intending to get in an argument with anyone, but you are absolutely correct... period. The issue is in what happens to the center of the moment of inertia and how it is dealt with in various dynamic situations. It all has to do with simple Physics. Has nothing to do with the Nanny.

Bob Denman
09-25-2017, 06:46 AM
Ann,
I'm glad to hear that it was a really good day! :clap::D

And I'm doubly-glad to hear that you're returning to us! :2thumbs:

Tango
09-25-2017, 07:59 AM
Glad you liked it Ann. I tried one and didn't care for it. :thumbup: Tom :spyder: