PDA

View Full Version : 1330 oil filter

irvin48
09-20-2017, 10:36 AM
am thinking about going amsoil in my next change. i have a hiflo and a brp filter.
the hiflo has 65 paper pleats and is not wire covered. the brp filter has less pleats but
is wire wrapped. should i anticipate any problems from the hiflo. got 2 of them
and orings from baja ron last year when i got the machine. the only reason i ask is
the brp filter looks sturdier. i assume a lot of you have your favorite. your replies
are appreciated.
:bowdown:--irv

Highwayman2013
09-20-2017, 10:51 AM
I had the HiFlo in my F3L for 7,000 miles. Looked fine on removal.

JKMSPYDER
09-20-2017, 10:58 AM
I began using the Hi FLO filter and O rings from Baja Ron right after my 3000 mile service. I now have almost 19,000 miles on. Y Spyder. No problems whatsoever!

BajaRon
09-20-2017, 02:05 PM
You will not have any issues with these HiFlo filters. Though I fully understand your concern by visual comparison. And I think it is appropriate for you to breach the subject.

I literally sell a few thousand of these HiFlo filters every year. I've been doing this for almost 10 years now with zero issues. And I am probably a drop in the bucket compared to how many Spyder owners are actually using this filter.

The external wire mesh on a well made filter is overkill for the Spyder. It is most likely an overreaction by BRP in response to the number of destroyed engines they had to replace on warranty due to their very poorly made, original oil filters (2008-mid year 2012). While I am not necessarily opposed to overkill. There are usually very good alternatives to a product that offers attributes that you'll never need.

Oil and filters are critical to engine longevity. I would not use, or sell, a product that is not equal or superior in function to the OEM BRP products.

irvin48
09-20-2017, 04:47 PM
thank you all. how much is the amsoil from you, ron?

Ex-Rocket
09-20-2017, 07:35 PM
I to have been using Ron's oil filter and Amsoil since my dealer did my first service at 3000 miles. No problems whatsoever. Now have almost 22,000 miles.

Freddy
09-21-2017, 03:44 AM
Reinforcing the outside of the oil filter is pointless as the oil flow is outside to inside. :hun:

BajaRon
09-21-2017, 06:44 AM
thank you all. how much is the amsoil from you, ron?

Amsoil will not allow me to post my pricing anywhere, including here. I have sent you a PM with pricing.

HankD
09-21-2017, 08:47 AM
Amsoil will not allow me to post my pricing anywhere, including here. I have sent you a PM with pricing.

Ron, sent you a PM for quote request for a few products, including the Amsoil

Buckeye Chuck 54
04-12-2018, 08:38 AM
I've been using Bajaron's Hi Flo filters for over 100,000 miles. I ride a lot and
buy them 3 or 4 at a time. I buy the Amsoil he sells too. I have have not had any
oil or filter issues, good stuff.
Chuck

You will not have any issues with these HiFlo filters. Though I fully understand your concern by visual comparison. And I think it is appropriate for you to breach the subject.

I literally sell a few thousand of these HiFlo filters every year. I've been doing this for almost 10 years now with zero issues. And I am probably a drop in the bucket compared to how many Spyder owners are actually using this filter.

The external wire mesh on a well made filter is overkill for the Spyder. It is most likely an overreaction by BRP in response to the number of destroyed engines they had to replace on warranty due to their very poorly made, original oil filters (2008-mid year 2012). While I am not necessarily opposed to overkill. There are usually very good alternatives to a product that offers attributes that you'll never need.

Oil and filters are critical to engine longevity. I would not use, or sell, a product that is not equal or superior in function to the OEM BRP products.

KX5062
04-12-2018, 08:50 AM
Reinforcing the outside of the oil filter is pointless as the oil flow is outside to inside. :hun:

Not quite pointless. It's designed to prevent collapse, like Ron said, was a problem on the earlier filters. It will also prevent collapse if the oil becomes contaminated with water/coolant.

As to the OP. I've been using the Baja Ron's oil change kits since new and on my previous 2008 GS. My 2014 has almost 45k miles almost all of which is with the HiFlo filter in it. YMMV

Chupaca
04-12-2018, 09:31 AM
Looks like you can go either way. I have used BRP filters for 40,000 miles with no issues with and without wire re-inforcement. Looks like you are well stocked with filters and will have no problem till you have to decide what to buy when you run out....:roflblack: