PDA

View Full Version : Non directional tires up front?

regor
09-19-2017, 04:51 PM
Has anybody put non directional tires up front?

IGETAROUND
09-19-2017, 05:11 PM
The short answer is YES; just replace with the OEM size in any old car tire you care to use; my vote goes to the Conti- pros

SteveLaoyster
09-19-2017, 05:14 PM
Yup, what he said. All kinds of non-directional tires available.

Many brands
09-19-2017, 05:55 PM
And why do you want non-directional ?

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-19-2017, 06:18 PM
And why do you want non-directional ?
Directional or non-directional refers to the tread pattern and how it is made to push water away. The advantage of non-directional is you can swap them side to side and run them in the other direction. Avoids having to dismount and remount the tires on the rims.

SPYD3R
09-19-2017, 07:33 PM
KEEP IN MIND THAT NON-DIRECTIONAL TIRES DO NOT DISPERSE WATER AS WELL AS DIRECTIONAL TIRES DO... also keep in mind that your SPYD3R does not weigh as much as an automobile... those 2 combinations can cause you to think twice when riding on wet surfaces... you would hydroplane more easily on the non-directionals (not to say you WILL, but could)... other than that, you should be ok....
Dan P
SPYD3R

regor
09-19-2017, 08:18 PM
Thanks all, it would be nice to be able to rotate the tires.

RinconRyder
09-19-2017, 08:48 PM
Of course, all you need to do is slow down in the rain and no hydroplaning. You should slow down anyway......

safecracker
09-19-2017, 08:57 PM
I am running General Altimax on front. I have a 2011, so I have 14" rims. I really like them.

Chupaca
09-20-2017, 12:12 AM
If you want directional tires there are car tires that are directional.....just have to search them out...:thumbup:

WackyDan
09-20-2017, 12:23 AM
KEEP IN MIND THAT NON-DIRECTIONAL TIRES DO NOT DISPERSE WATER AS WELL AS DIRECTIONAL TIRES DO... also keep in mind that your SPYD3R does not weigh as much as an automobile... those 2 combinations can cause you to think twice when riding on wet surfaces... you would hydroplane more easily on the non-directionals (not to say you WILL, but could)... other than that, you should be ok....
Dan P
SPYD3R

The RE-92's I had on my previous spyder weren't directional and out performed the stock Kendas wet or dry. Those things would keep the front planted in standing water at 55 MPH.

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-20-2017, 12:36 AM
KEEP IN MIND THAT NON-DIRECTIONAL TIRES DO NOT DISPERSE WATER AS WELL AS DIRECTIONAL TIRES DO...
Is that a proven fact or mostly marketing hype?

SpyderAnn01
09-20-2017, 01:01 AM
And then there are asymmetrical tires which have an inside and outside but can be rotated without remounting.

SPYD3R
09-20-2017, 07:27 AM
Thanks all, it would be nice to be able to rotate the tires.

DO NOT ROTATE YOUR TIRES BY WAY OF TAKING THE TIRE/WHEEL ASSEMBLY OFF, AND MOVING IT TO THE OPPOSITE SIDES...
correct rotation of non-directional tires would be to mark the outside wall or each tire, then removing the tires from the rims, and remounting them with the 'mark' on the inside... this would allow you to have the former right side tire on the left, and vise-versa for the opposite side... now your tires would hit the road and spin in the same direction as they did originally...
tires take a 'set' in a few hundred miles, and if you do the above, you risk your tires developing serious issues... NO, i am not a tire guy, but we have a Michelin engineer that rides with us, and he's informed us of many issues with tires...
Dan P
SPYD3R

Bob Denman
09-20-2017, 07:30 AM
:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-20-2017, 08:36 AM
Is that a proven fact or mostly marketing hype? I vote for ...HYPE ... if it wasn't Hype ... they would be the ONLY type of tires Sold ....that's the easy to understand version .... Mike :thumbup:

jaherbst
09-20-2017, 09:15 AM
No Comment.

Jack

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-20-2017, 10:09 AM
DO NOT ROTATE YOUR TIRES BY WAY OF TAKING THE TIRE/WHEEL ASSEMBLY OFF, AND MOVING IT TO THE OPPOSITE SIDES...
correct rotation of non-directional tires would be to mark the outside wall or each tire, then removing the tires from the rims, and remounting them with the 'mark' on the inside... this would allow you to have the former right side tire on the left, and vise-versa for the opposite side... now your tires would hit the road and spin in the same direction as they did originally...
tires take a 'set' in a few hundred miles, and if you do the above, you risk your tires developing serious issues... NO, i am not a tire guy, but we have a Michelin engineer that rides with us, and he's informed us of many issues with tires...
Dan P
SPYD3R
Sorry, but your Michelin engineer friend is mistaken. Here's a quote from tiresafety.com, a website of Bridgestone. http://www.tiresafety.com/maint/maint_content.asp In the very early days of radial tires the general advice was not to reverse the rotation but that hasn't been the case for years.

Modified Cross Rotation
The "Modified Cross Pattern" provides the best results and can be performed on any Front or Rear Wheel Drive vehicle equipped with 4 non-directional tires. (directional tires must be rotated front to rear only.)
NOTE:
* Free rolling axle tires are crossed and installed to the drive axle, while the drive axle tires are brought straight to the free rolling axle (without crossing).
* Make sure you maintain vehicle manufacturers inflation recommendations after rotating tires.
* Directional treads are designed to perform in the direction denoted on the tire sidewall only. They must always be rotated front to rear - despite the type of vehicle they are installed on - so the direction of the revolution does not change.

Here's a quote from the Michelin tire owner's manual.

When
rotating tires with a directional tread pattern, observe the arrows molded
on the sidewall that show the direction in which the tire should rotate.
Care must be taken to maintain the proper rotation direction.

Do not reverse rotation only applies to directional tires, and that is because of the tread pattern, not tire construction.