PDA

View Full Version : Safe Maximum Miles Before 3K (First) Service?

newbert
09-18-2017, 10:02 AM
I currently am at 3402 miles on my 2016 F3-T's odometer. My appointment for the 3K service isn't until 9/26 - eight days from now. My dilemma is that we are currently in the nicest stretch of weather we've had all summer (70's and 80's with sunny skies) and I want to get out and ride! Adding to the dilemma is that a friend of mine is visiting this weekend (before 9/26) with the sole purpose of riding together. So, I'll be piling on some miles then, for sure.

I estimate that, on 9/26, I'll be at about 4K miles if I don't ride until the weekend, and perhaps as much as 4500 miles if I do ride before then. That seems a bit too much over 3K for comfort - but what do I know as a new Spyder owner?

So what do you guys think? What's the safe maximum? Am I overly concerned? Or should I just go out and ride and enjoy myself this week? The Spyder has given me no mechanical problems at all in the 2-1/2 months I've had it. <knock wood> I'd like to keep it that way.

The dealer has nothing open on his schedule before 9/26, so that is not an option.

Thanks.

Bob Denman
09-18-2017, 10:39 AM
:lecturef_smilie: Make sure to check your oil level...

:D ...and enjoy the ride! :thumbup:

Your bike will be fine!

SPYD3R
09-18-2017, 10:49 AM
i had my 3000 mile check-up @ 5600 some odd miles....
i now have 44,000 miles of smiles on her.... everything is good to go....
enjoy riding with your friend, the dealer will be there when you are finished....
Dan P
SPYD3R

ARtraveler
09-18-2017, 02:01 PM
Put the miles on, enjoy the prime riding. Your :ani29: will not blow up at 3,001 miles or more--as long as it is running good now. :yes:

newbert
09-18-2017, 03:04 PM
:lecturef_smilie: Make sure to check your oil level...

:D ...and enjoy the ride! :thumbup:

Your bike will be fine!

Thanks everyone - but now I have another question :dontknow:. Following Bob's advice, I figured I'd check the oil level (for the very first time). So, I followed the procedure outlined here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnfQ1oA4LIk.

Took a nice 50 mile ride first, then let it idle for more than 5 minutes while the fan kicked on and off a few times. Then let her sit for another two minutes. - Time to check the level.....and I can't get the dipstick out!

I know that things are always tight the first time (No Jokes, Please!), but this is ridiculous. I assume that you turn it counter-clockwise to loosen it? If so, it won't budge.

So, any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks!

SpyderNeil
09-18-2017, 03:55 PM
Thanks everyone - but now I have another question :dontknow:. Following Bob's advice, I figured I'd check the oil level (for the very first time). So, I followed the procedure outlined here.

Took a nice 50 mile ride first, then let it idle for more than 5 minutes while the fan kicked on and off a few times. Then let her sit for another two minutes. - Time to check the level.....and I can't get the dipstick out!

I know that things are always tight the first time (No Jokes, Please!), but this is ridiculous. I assume that you turn it counter-clockwise to loosen it? If so, it won't budge.

So, any ideas on how to proceed?

Thanks!

Yep, it's tight! Just turn counter-clockwise, as you assumed.

Neil