PDA

View Full Version : What do you think?

Blue Star
09-16-2017, 01:43 AM
While I do not have a motorhome, so would not apply to me. What do you think of this setup? Have to admit I don't like how they put Quotation's every time the wrote Spyder in the add.

http://www.motorcycle-rack.com/CanAm_Tow_System.html

pitzerwm
09-16-2017, 02:07 AM
This has been discussed before. Most seem to think that towing the spyder backwards, could create a problem with the windshield going backwards, but I'm thinking that the bike is close enough to the back of the RV that any wind wouldn't be able to effect the windshield. Seems a bit stiff for that one piece of metal that fits into the hitch. It would be interesting to see how the bike would tract, unless you locked the handlebars one way or another.

ofdave
09-16-2017, 03:12 AM
I don't think weight would be any issue.
I do not think it would work for an F3. There isn't room for where the rear dual tubes that hold the license plate to fit against the vertical plate of the hitch
The wind against the windshield may be a problem. Maybe there is first hand info to prove or disprove that. One thing certain, the Spyder will get really dirty from the stuff kicked up by the tow vehicle's rear wheels, especially in the rain.
The biggest problem I see is the risk of dragging the front on the ground. Ground clearance is low to begin with and raising the rear will make the front even lower. I think it'll scrape in every driveway at every filling station for example. Add to that, normal up and down of the suspension will result in some lost or scraped plastic for sure.
Also, as mentioned, is how the Spyder would track with or without the front wheels being secured.That could be a problem too.
Putting the front wheels on a tow dolly might be an idea.

Peter Aawen
09-16-2017, 04:16 AM
.... Putting the front wheels on a tow dolly might be an idea.

Only then you will have the problem that the rear wheel will be on the ground & turning (& wearing) the rear sprocket & belt whenever you are moving, which means you'll be spinning the front sprocket and the guts of the wet clutch too, all without any oil circulation because of the dry sump & no oil pumps running... and so probably creating massive (or at least serious) wear issues whenever you do move rigged like that!! :shocked: Which pretty much adds up to suggest that maybe a dolly or lifting either end isn't such a great idea after all!! :gaah:

So if you aren't going to ryde, maybe you'd be better off to either opt for a Toy Hauler or stick with a Flat Bed Trailer - either way, your Spyder will probably thank you! :thumbup:

youngers
09-16-2017, 06:46 AM
the can-am spyder is not something I would pull , with 2 wheels on the ground, or 1 wheel on the ground , it is an expensive fun machine to play and ride around , and to possible tear something up when pulling or towing , the cash flow will start , not to mention not being able to ride when you arrive at your location ... { buy a 1000 dollar trailer , used or other wise , even if it is 1200 , you get other uses from that trailer when not towing the spyder ;) . and I would have to guess that the repair bill from pulling the spyder like the advertisement shows , would be close to the trailer in cost ... just my take , if some one has pulled their can-am this way , let us know what sort of problems might have arrived when you stopped and looked over the cycle after the 1st leg of the trip ... }

classicvw
09-16-2017, 07:46 AM
Not to mention that the 'trailer' is $370! :shocked: For what?

Chupaca
09-16-2017, 10:56 AM
The main issue I see is the front end ground clearance. If you ryde with a soft suspension your gonna drag the nose on the ground on bump (speed bumps come to mind and uphill inclines off a flat road). Not good on the windshield, depending on the height, but not sure about it being that close to the rear of the motorhome. Nice thought :thumbup:

sealfloorboards
09-16-2017, 12:27 PM
I would be very afraid of the nose hitting the ground:yikes::yikes::yikes:. I had a flat bed trailer for years but had to tow my Spyder (s) backwards because the trailer fender made the trailer an inch or so too narrow. I've NEVER had a problem with my windshields (RT's) when towing backwards. Lost my trailer axel coming back from Spyder Fest this year. Just got a new aluminum Utility Trailer to take to Spyders to Red Rock, I'll be towing facing forward now. Only Problem is the ramp is too steep to ride my Spyder up, the nose is so low it hits the bottom of the ramp. Solved this with a piece of 3/4" ply. to extend the angle f the ramp. The nose on an RT is very low so I can see real problems towing it with this dolly. I wouldn't chance ruining my beautiful Spyder by "grounding out" on a pothole, speed bump or driveway.
Ride in comfort,
John

ofdave
09-16-2017, 01:06 PM
Only then you will have the problem that the rear wheel will be on the ground & turning (& wearing) the rear sprocket & belt whenever you are moving, which means you'll be spinning the front sprocket and the guts of the wet clutch too, all without any oil circulation because of the dry sump & no oil pumps running... and so probably creating massive (or at least serious) wear issues whenever you do move rigged like that!! :shocked: Which pretty much adds up to suggest that maybe a dolly or lifting either end isn't such a great idea after all!! :gaah:

So if you aren't going to ryde, maybe you'd be better off to either opt for a Toy Hauler or stick with a Flat Bed Trailer - either way, your Spyder will probably thank you! :thumbup:

was not suggesting a tow dolly for the front with the rear on the ground,
was suggesting a tow dolly combined with the hitch show in the post

ofdave
09-16-2017, 01:09 PM
Not to mention that the 'trailer' is $370! :shocked: For what?

not referred to as a "trailer", referred to as a "towing system"
actually the price is not that far off other bumper racks on the market

ARtraveler
09-16-2017, 02:29 PM
Another vote on the pile for "beware of low ground clearance." A bumpy or heaved road will reek havoc on your front end.

The wheels not secured would also raise questions for me.

Glad I don't have to worry about it though. :thumbup:

classicvw
09-16-2017, 03:17 PM
not referred to as a "trailer", referred to as a "towing system"
actually the price is not that far off other bumper racks on the market

You did notice I put 'trailer' in quotes right?

Well excuse me. Since it's a system That $30 worth of steel is certainly worth every penny of that $370! :roflblack:

ofdave
09-16-2017, 03:39 PM
You did notice I put 'trailer' in quotes right?

Well excuse me. Since it's a system That $30 worth of steel is certainly worth every penny of that $370! :roflblack:

yup,
like so much other stuff we buy for our rides,
think backrests and most electrical stuff and seats
not sure labor can make all the difference between material cost and sales price
I realize there are R & D and marketing costs to recoup on things produced-but I wonder if that is sometimes over-blown. Near 900 bucks for low brow fenders-really?
unfortunately we can't all make our own stuff so if we really want it, we tend to over-pay for it
Spyder accessories are some of the most expensive out there