PDA

View Full Version : Apparel

Headwrench
09-13-2017, 09:32 PM
Is it just in my area (central ohio) or do all can am dealers not have much in the way of apparel. A few tee shirts & a small selection of jackets & maybe a hat or two. My wife loves that sort of thing & she is always let down when we leave. Are dealers in your area the same? Just wondering

Triple B
09-13-2017, 09:35 PM
Is it just in my area (central ohio) or do all can am dealers not have much in the way of apparel. A few tee shirts & a small selection of jackets & maybe a hat or two. My wife loves that sort of thing & she is always let down when we leave. Are dealers in your area the same? Just wondering

Same thing in my area. I'm in the lower mainland of B.C., Canada 🇨🇦

heyharris1
09-13-2017, 09:42 PM
My dealer does not carry anything can am at all. Some sport bike stuff but that's it. Their other store is a Harley dealer and it's loaded to the gills.

Jim

ARtraveler
09-13-2017, 09:55 PM
There is a lot of that going around. Lots of inventory $$ required to have a good supply. Not enough customers willing to pay the very high BRP prices.

I have two BRP jackets (purchased in 2008). Had to order both. Dealer still stocks none. Good jackets--but other brands usually not as expensive--and they work just as well.

Why should I pay big bucks to give them more free advertising? I like the product, but feel shafted paying to advertise for them. :thumbup:

Tango
09-13-2017, 09:57 PM
Can Am Spyder dealers won't usually stock much, if any Can Am gear or apparel. Official branded apparel is way over priced! Costs too much to keep unsold inventory. Case in point. Can Am top of the line riding jacket. Awesome quality, loaded with all the features you would expect. Original retail was $700.:banghead: I bought it at the 10th anniversary for $210. :2thumbs: Is it worth $210? You betcha! But they never sold at all. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Rob Rodriguez
09-13-2017, 10:35 PM
You can buy year old (last years left overs) BRP clothing (for sleds, Spyder, ATV) on ebay for 50-70% off typically. Doesn't make sense to buy at a dealer.

jaherbst
09-13-2017, 11:09 PM
Buy your "apparel" gear at the Harley Dealers. That way all the "Hog" guys will wave at you. Works for me. :joke: ​ Feel the Love.

Jack

Buckeye Bleau
09-14-2017, 05:15 AM
Come on now, is the Can-Am apparel high dollar, yes. Are the Harley shops loaded with JD clothing at rediculous prices, yes.

someone mentioned earlier the high cost of inventory and the added cost of it sitting idle. The NE Ohio dealers carry a reasonable amount of clothing but it is minimal. The reason for that is in the previous statement. The HD dealers have a larger audience, customer base, even non-riders buy that stuff. They turn the inventory over and this makes it profitable.

Depending on the product, the margins and dating, you probably need three to six turns per year, I am not sure about this industry. I too would like to see more clothing and such, but it I should incredibly expensive if you cannot turn it.

Joe

JayBros
09-14-2017, 07:39 AM
I find none of the BRP stuff appealing.

Rob Rodriguez
09-14-2017, 07:45 AM
I agree with dealers needing to be able to turn a profit and that's hard on apparel with the prices being charged and that's why most dealers don't carry inventory. I don't blame them. If a brick and mortar dealer doesn't have an internet sales presence they are dead in the water anyway.

I think the time has come for a complete change in the sales model for powersports "things" and really automotive "things" as well. In the age that we live in are dealers obsolete? Tesla thinks so and I agree with them. Why can't we just purchase direct (apparel, equipment, accessories, etc) direct from BRP. The only real need of a dealer is service and that's where they make their money anyway. So why don't the powersports business's of the world have certified service shops (hell one shop could be certified in all brands) that just provide service and the manufacture's sell everything direct to the consumer. That makes more sense to me.

Problem is, then BRP is left holding the bag for unsold inventory rather than their dealers. BRP gets paid for each unit on a dealer floor long before its delivered to the dealer or sold by the dealer.

Just seems to me the "dealer" system that has been in place for many, many years is stacked against the dealer and the consumer and protects the manufacturer more than anything. Time for a change.

ARtraveler
09-14-2017, 05:03 PM
Buy your "apparel" gear at the Harley Dealers. That way all the "Hog" guys will wave at you. Works for me. :joke: ​ Feel the Love.

Jack

I actually have a couple HD t-shirts and a couple HD beer glasses. I got them as prizes when I belonged to a riding club. They used to scout all the local dealers for "door prize" handouts. There was some interesting stuff given out. Loved the hot pink Mohawk helmet decorations that (fortunately) someone else got. :roflblack::roflblack:

Peteoz
09-14-2017, 05:30 PM
I actually have a couple HD t-shirts and a couple HD beer glasses. I got them as prizes when I belonged to a riding club. They used to scout all the local dealers for "door prize" handouts. There was some interesting stuff given out. Loved the hot pink Mohawk helmet decorations that (fortunately) someone else got. :roflblack::roflblack:

Yep, yep, yep.......Some of us have no choice than to buy Harley gear. BRP considers 6'4" to be tall, and then only if you have a 48" chest......and if you are 6'7" and want a jacket to fit your 54" chest, you end up with sleeves that only come down to your elbows.;)

Thank goodness for Harley and Indian gear, (and MotoPort and FoxCreek):thumbup:

Pete

ARtraveler
09-14-2017, 08:23 PM
Yep, yep, yep.......Some of us have no choice than to buy Harley gear. BRP considers 6'4" to be tall, and then only if you have a 48" chest......and if you are 6'7" and want a jacket to fit your 54" chest, you end up with sleeves that only come down to your elbows.;)

Thank goodness for Harley and Indian gear, (and MotoPort and FoxCreek):thumbup:

Pete

BRP sizing is also interesting. Unless you look like one of the models in the accessory catalog--good luck on getting a good fit.

Tall people, short people with shorter legs and big midsize make for nightmares with sizing.

3WheelBob
09-14-2017, 10:21 PM
Agreed. Very little to purchase at the local Atl dealers.

SpyderAnn01
09-14-2017, 11:34 PM
BRP has a catalog if you want to pay full price. If not, look for sales on EBay.

trikermutha
09-14-2017, 11:44 PM
I have gotten some pretty good deals in the WTB area. The Can AM Jacket I bought is much warmer than anticipated. Block wind really well too.

C. Lee
09-15-2017, 08:22 AM
It's not just Spyder gear, try to find something that has goldwing on it. I wanted goldwing apparel when I rode my goldwing but was never had any luck, I know the goldwing community is larger than the spyder group but you'd never know from the merchandise. It's all about money

foxtail1
09-15-2017, 01:25 PM
My local dealer has no BRP gear, just lots of Joe Rocket, etc.

Since I switched over from HD, pretty much all my riding gear is Harley and likely to stay that way. Good armored gear is good gear, no matter what the logo.

canamjhb
09-15-2017, 01:31 PM
My wife buys all my riding apparel. I just go to the drawer and pull out a nice pair of cargo shorts, a long sleeve light weight fishing shirt, and a pair of sneakers with light weight tiny little socks. Sunglasses, helmet, nose picker gloves, and a spritz of sun block on the exposed skin and I'm good to go....:doorag: :joke:

clinard
09-15-2017, 08:41 PM
Attend Spyderfest in Springfield MO and check out Pit Bull Powersports! Or just take a trip.

drhunt204
09-15-2017, 09:02 PM
I live in S.E. Missouri and there is very little can am apparel locally. I have to travel to Pit Bull in Springfield, MO. The closest dealer in Poplar Bluff, MO has returned all their spyder accessories and sell only the can am ATVs and side by sides. They do have some helmets for sell (not can am but other brands).

Big F
09-17-2017, 07:06 AM

You are lucky your dealers at least have something?? Our dealer has absolutely NOTHING for Spyder owners!
BIG F

ChrisK
09-17-2017, 07:24 AM
I think it's interesting what we 'expect' from a dealer....

The Harley folk have become T-shirt stores that also sell and service motorcycles. I'm also a Harley owner and have two lifetimes worth of HD gear but my wife is a 'Spyder only' lady and she wants SPYDER SWAG!

Until the Spyder deepens penetration of the market I think what we have is pretty much what we can expect.

Nice to hear about Pit Bull in Springfield - I'll try to pay them a visit next time through!