PDA

View Full Version : Code P1614

sandeejs
09-13-2017, 10:39 AM
So, leaving work Friday,got a check engine light, and bike would not rev. Started, though. Turned it off and back on, same thing. Went to gas station (across the street), filled it up. b4 I turned it on again, I thought: "lets pull the code". Got the instructions for SPYDER CODES on my phone, turned tryke on and NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT! FULL RANGE OF RPMs. Went home and forgot about it.

Did my errands etc no prob sat.

Sunday morning, Check Engine LIght etc.
Not wanting to miss an outing with the girl posse, I jumped in the car and left. Tuesday, it started just fine. but I went to the nearest dealership. Did not recognize a soul in the repair shop. Explained to the check in guy what the problem was, got a blank look at the "throwing code", showed him the lookup I did on Spyder Codes. He said he though it was the battery. Made an appointment to drop it off Monday next.

As soon as the weather clears today, Wednesday, I'm going to drop it off at the next closest place.

Just wanted to vent.....

~Sandee~

BigGuy66
09-13-2017, 10:48 AM
(snip) ... Explained to the check in guy what the problem was, got a blank look at the "throwing code", showed him the lookup I did on Spyder Codes. He said he though it was the battery. Made an appointment to drop it off Monday next.
~Sandee~

...on my 2010 RT SM5. I doubt that it is the battery. Don't buy one yet. The P1614 I got was Throttle position error. Kept getting Engine Light. Would eventually start. It is related to the throttle and the throttle body. I had my dealer clean the throttle body and adjust throttle position. Worked for a short while then started again. BRP had published a bulletin about the throttle body but my Spyder is too old to get any warranty help. Had dealer replace the whole throttle body - $1200 in parts and labor - and the bike runs like a fox with its tail on fire!! Find a tech that knows about these codes and throttle issues.
Jim

Chupaca
09-13-2017, 03:01 PM
You can check the linkage at the throttle body to see if you have any obstructions as well as the throttle grip on the bars. If cable operated check the slack in the cables if fly by wire check it. Then you could clean the throttle body as well. But doubt it is an electrical issue like the battery. You may still need the dealer for the BUDS system is needed for some of the adjustments...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-13-2017, 04:46 PM
P1614 is the dreaded Throttle-Body Code... :yikes: