PDA

View Full Version : Did the dealers not get the spec-update?

Gunner3773
09-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Last year I had the dealer replace my rear tire because it was convenient when I was at the dealer for something else. Today, after yesterday's long road trip, I decided to give my 2015 RT a thorough wash and check over. I thought, just for the heck of it, I am going to check the torque on the rear axle bolt. Yep, just under 100 ft-lbs. I torqued it up to 155 ft-lbs. (155-177 ft-lbs)

My dealer says most all his techs are master Spyder techs. So what's the deal? Are they not using torque wrenches? Do they not know the correct spec? Or are they using the "arm" method of torque?

Back to doing most all my own work whether convenient or not!

Gunner

JayBros
09-10-2017, 11:29 AM
Are you certain it's a universal problem and not an individual tech mistake? I had my rear tire replaced 2,100 miles ago and it's at a solid 155 lbft.

BoilerAnimal
09-10-2017, 11:40 AM
From what's been posted on here, it's an all too common problem.

oldguyinTX
09-10-2017, 01:21 PM
I find it somewhat hard to believe that "most" of his wrench turners are Certified Master Technicians. There was only one here in CT (the dealer is now closed), and it is a very long road to become a BRP Certified Master Technician. I would ask to see their certificates from BRP.

SPYD3R
09-10-2017, 01:41 PM
i've had a couple issues with one of the techs at my dealers.... after a rear tire change, i also checked the torque on the rear axle...
YEOW.... :gaah: 33 ft lbs....
i was smoking mad... :lecturef_smilie: i called the service manager, and he said to bring it back ASAP... since i'm only 10 miles away, i rode over cautiously... they re-torqued it while i watched... a few weeks later when i returned for something else, that tech no longer worked there... found out he has messed up way too many bikes...
Dan P
SPYD3R

heyharris1
09-11-2017, 08:33 AM
WOW, I would have been livid, they could end up being like a life threatening mistake. What would have happened if you were going 80 down the freeway and it came lose. Lucky for you nothing happened. I think thats why I almost always tend to work on my own vehicles. Simple piece of mind is worth it alone.

Jim