PDA

View Full Version : Haunted RS

IGETAROUND
09-07-2017, 02:29 PM
Am on vacation pulling my time out camper, when I stop for first tank of gas what do I see but the flat 5 plug to the camper on the ground!!! So pick it up and the outside pin is 2/3rds of the way gone. Plug the connectors back together and have no left turn signal or brake light, but the tail light works. What the heck, I can live with that, I'll use hand signals for left turns. Continue on to my destination,go purchase a new trailer wiring harness and bring it back to where I'm staying. Cut the damaged end off and match the colors together and plug the trailer to my bike. Turn on the 4 ways, check the trailer, all is good. Shut off the 4 ways, turn on the left turn signal and go check the trailer; ALL the back lights are flashing!!! Unhook the trailer, cancel the 4 ways again on the bike. Turn the key back on OMG the 4 ways are turned back on!!!! Difficult to cancel but finally am able to stop 4 ways, turn the switch back off then turn back on and the 4 ways return all on their own!!!! Go inside, call the customer service number@Hopkins and tell him my tale. He suggested that I run a jumper from the trailer to the bike as he thinks this is a grounding issue. He said that Hopkins is the manufacturer of the factory trailer harnesses for BRP! He asked if I was using one of those harnesses, I explained that I have an RS, which isn't rated for pulling a trailer. So I go back outside and try to use a jumper as he suggested, Spyder still haunted,4 ways come on when the key is turned on. My friend said to start it up so I Hit the mode button double check that the kill switch is turned to run hit the starter and NOTHING!!!!! Now I am ready to cry; not only is my bike haunted, now it's dead also!!!!
So shut off the switch, then turn back on,hit the mode button again, hit the starter and my God it's a miracle,starts right up!!!! Shut off and then turn the key back to on and glory be an exorcism has occurred without rotation of my head nor bilious vomiting taking place!!!! No 4 way flashers reappear. There must be a condenser somewhere in the system that was holding a charge and activating the 4 ways on the bike. So now everything works perfectly again,I will sleep much better tonight knowing that everything is fixed. God I hate electrical problems... now for some good bourbon!!!!

ARtraveler
09-07-2017, 03:02 PM
Sometimes...they do things to let us know just who is in charge. :gaah:

Lew L
09-07-2017, 03:10 PM
" God I hate electrical problems... now for some good bourbon!!!! "

Good bourbon can cure electrical problems------ at least for a little while.

Kaos

Chupaca
09-07-2017, 05:10 PM
Your plug was dragging along sending the odd electrical impulse from the static electricity and the Nanny did not know how to deal with it...She just needed to clear that information out and now can move on like it never happened.....That's my story and I'm sticking to it...:roflblack: but there is some truth there.....

Samson
09-07-2017, 07:10 PM
This sounds like my experience with electrical items. My beverage of choice is Campfire Whiskey from High West. Limited run 1 or 2 x a year.

SpyderAnn01
09-07-2017, 11:41 PM
Al, I want to thank you for reporting this problem as it made me finally remember to go do the hyper flash reset on my F3. Actually I started reading your post several hours ago and was headed to the garage to do the reset when I must have forgotten what I wanted to do. So fast forward a few hours and I was telling Joe about your issues and it occurred to me that I still needed to reset it. All done now! Thanks again and have a great trip.