PDA

View Full Version : Would this hurt??

sliderrj
09-07-2017, 01:08 PM
I have a '17 F3T, just bought the BRP hitch and wiring harness. The problem is I have a Bushtec Roadstar with a 6 pin plug. I've got the trailer lights and turn signals to work, but I don't know what to do with the separate wire for the brake lights. Would it hurt to tap into the the brake wire before it enters the module and run the wire down beside the 4 pin square plug and a wire from the trailer to connect into this new wire?? It would mean an extra wire to connect, but that's not a big problem for me. Any thoughts??

SteveLaoyster
09-07-2017, 01:41 PM
If you are using a module from brp then the brake and turn signal are together on the same wire. If you have dual tail lights on each side, one for turn and one for brake, and they are LED you should be able to wire them together. PM me if I'm too vague on this.

sliderrj
09-07-2017, 03:00 PM
If you are using a module from brp then the brake and turn signal are together on the same wire. If you have dual tail lights on each side, one for turn and one for brake, and they are LED you should be able to wire them together. PM me if I'm too vague on this.

I've got separate wires for brake, running, and turn signals on the trailer. I wanting to tie into the single brake wire going before it goes into the module and then running that wire for the brake lights on the trailer.

sylvester
09-10-2017, 09:49 AM
Slider you have to buy seperate harness isolator and conversion 4-5 the extra wire is for the inside lighting ordered mine they'll be here tuesday

sliderrj
09-10-2017, 04:29 PM
Slider you have to buy seperate harness isolator and conversion 4-5 the extra wire is for the inside lighting ordered mine they'll be here tuesday
I got the Hopkins converter and installed led lights. Don't have any lights other than markers. I think I might have a bad converter. What converter you getting?

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-10-2017, 05:26 PM
I got the Hopkins converter and installed led lights. Don't have any lights other than markers. I think I might have a bad converter. What converter you getting?
What Hopkins converter did you buy?

You have two choices. Coming from the BRP four pin plug are ground, tail, right turn & stop, and left turn & stop; four wires. You need a converter to take the brake/turn wires and convert them to right turn, left turn, stop, i.e. 2 to 3 wire convertor.

Your second option is to replace the BRP modulator on the Spyder with a six wire to five wire trailer isolator. The sixth wire coming into the isolator is battery power.

As to the sixth wire on the trailer, it is for interior light or something like that, right? Unless you are handy with automotive wiring forget about using it.

No 2817
09-11-2017, 04:56 AM
I have a '17 F3T, just bought the BRP hitch and wiring harness. The problem is I have a Bushtec Roadstar with a 6 pin plug. I've got the trailer lights and turn signals to work, but I don't know what to do with the separate wire for the brake lights. Would it hurt to tap into the the brake wire before it enters the module and run the wire down beside the 4 pin square plug and a wire from the trailer to connect into this new wire?? It would mean an extra wire to connect, but that's not a big problem for me. Any thoughts??

The Smaller of the two RED wires going into the trailer module is the brake wire. You can wire into that. Worked for me to wire in a third brake light.

Chris