PDA

View Full Version : F3 OWNERS TALL GUYS ONLY PLEASE

MOSESS
09-05-2017, 04:17 PM
I am looking to move in this direction if it makes sense, I am 6ft 5inches tall and the rt is a bit tight even when the seat is moved back 2inches. I have not ridden an F3 limited. My question for those tall gents like myself have you owned an RT and why did you move over to the F3 . Was it the roominess . I hope I am not disrespecting any one under 6ft 2inches. ..Carl

Peteoz
09-05-2017, 04:37 PM
I am looking to move in this direction if it makes sense, I am 6ft 5inches tall and the rt is a bit tight even when the seat is moved back 2inches. I have not ridden an F3 limited. My question for those tall gents like myself have you owned an RT and why did you move over to the F3 . Was it the roominess . I hope I am not disrespecting any one under 6ft 2inches. ..Carl

Carl,

i have not actually owned an RT, so my experience is limited to my 2hour demo ride. I just couldn't get at the brake easily with my size 15s and 39" inleg, and I just felt cramped all over. Handlebars and seat could have fixed most of that, but the brake was going to be problematic, even with an extension or learning to brake with my heel. I then tried the F3-L with the pegs in position 5 and everything was easily accessible. Even so, I had to get Russell to build me a seat that moved me back 2" and up an inch or so, to get really comfortable......I also had to install Lamont's RIP boards as the original brake pedal angle meant I had to lift my foot to get at it.

I know this is not exactly what you are after, but every bit of feedback can help when you are tall.

Pete

Plugger2
09-05-2017, 05:00 PM
Owned 2 RTLimited and Now a F3L AND WOULD NOT GO BACK TO ANYTHING ELSE.the f3 handles better,u sit in it not on it.more comfortable,brake pedal is positioned correctly,Steering is easier,and it has just the same junk space.

MOSESS
09-05-2017, 05:01 PM
Peteoz That's just what I need. I wear a size 14 and I have to lift my leg to hit the brakes, Its sucks and I love the look of the RT but I have issues with it due to my size and there is not much room so I am hoping the F3 works.

SPYD3R
09-05-2017, 05:20 PM
i'm 6' 2", and ride the F3...
at 6' 5" you most likely have 1" - 2" longer legs, and i think you'd be fine on the F3 with the foot rest at the #5 position, which is where mine are at...
i also have my own designed floor bordz, which allows me additional room to put my feet at a lower level and further forward... take one for a ride and see if you'll fit...
hope this helps...
Dan P
SPYD3R

Spider-man
09-05-2017, 05:32 PM
Owned 2 RTLimited and Now a F3L AND WOULD NOT GO BACK TO ANYTHING ELSE.the f3 handles better,u sit in it not on it.more comfortable,brake pedal is positioned correctly,Steering is easier,and it has just the same junk space.

Same for me. I'm only 6', but my legs are long. I was always cramped on my RT, and the F3 has set me free! It's not the only reason I got it, but one of them.

MOSESS
09-05-2017, 05:59 PM
Ill test ride one asap .I spoke to my dealer today to see what he can do for me on a trade, they do make a taller shield for it I hope. and does the sway bar off the rt work on the F3. I may have to swap it at the dealer if its the same.

SPYD3R
09-05-2017, 06:13 PM
Ill test ride one asap .I spoke to my dealer today to see what he can do for me on a trade, they do make a taller shield for it I hope. and does the sway bar off the rt work on the F3. I may have to swap it at the dealer if its the same.

Moses;
the RT Sway Bar is a major UP-GRADE for the F3... you may also want to consider the 2-UP Shock if you weigh in at over 250 lbs, gr8 addition as well... as for a windscreen, i have the GUSTOFSSON and it works gr8....
153410 BLACK is OEM, ORANGE is the RT that i powder-coated... 153411
2-UP Shock has 8 coils vs. 4 on the OEM...
Dan P
SPYD3R

Bensonic
09-05-2017, 06:38 PM
Same for me. I'm only 6', but my legs are long. I was always cramped on my RT, and the F3 has set me free! It's not the only reason I got it, but one of them.

Same with me. I had a 2015 RT for 2 years and fought uncomfortable back arms and legs after an hour. On my 2017 F3 limited i can stretch my legs completely out without hitting a "stop" Also get a backrest - takes all the load off your shoulders.

I am 6'-1" You may want a taller wind screen based on how much touring you want to do.

Big Juice
09-05-2017, 07:42 PM
I'm 6'2", can't ride the RT of my wife's, my F3 Ltd is great for my legs and knees! I have the BRP Tall windshield, waste of money, buy an after market shield that is good quality and taller.

Peteoz
09-05-2017, 07:50 PM

Carl, you are talking about the F3 Limited.

Unfortunately, I doubt either of the two stock F3-L OEM shields will work for your height. The wind will hit you right at chest height with a bad case of bobble head. You will have to buy aftermarket. I have an F4 25" which works a treat at keeping the wind at the top of my helmet.

I don't believe the RT sway bar works on the F3-L, but check with Ron.

Make sure you give the dealer plenty of notice for your test ride, and INSIST that he has the Position 5 foot setup for you. I found the middle of the road handlebars worked best for me (I.e neither long reach or short reach).

I'm not sure how heavy you are, but the F3-L comes with the 2up shock, so you can disregard the earliest post re needing to buy the 2 up shock. I only upgraded mine to Wilbers because I am over 310lbs and exceed the max allowance when riding 2up. The stock shock was handling it well, but.......

You can see the options I am using, in my signature.

Pete

JayBros
09-05-2017, 08:08 PM
Carl, I'm 6'4"ish and do not own an F3. In 2016 I did however have a very pleasant test ride of an F3 Ltd and was impressed with the machine. It was not set up with the brake rod for a tall guy and i did have a bit of a time getting accustomed to the brake pedal for my size 14s but made it through the test ride and was quite enjoyed the bike. There was one semi-war stopper though, my knees continuously hit the tupperware because of my long femurs. I do not know if a dealer could have installed appropriate accessories to alleviate the problem. A test ride for you with the proper set up will tell you how comfortable the fit can be made. Good luck!

Peteoz
09-05-2017, 08:31 PM
Carl, I'm 6'4"ish and do not own an F3. In 2016 I did however have a very pleasant test ride of an F3 Ltd and was impressed with the machine. It was not set up with the brake rod for a tall guy and i did have a bit of a time getting accustomed to the brake pedal for my size 14s but made it through the test ride and was quite enjoyed the bike. There was one semi-war stopper though, my knees continuously hit the tupperware because of my long femurs. I do not know if a dealer could have installed appropriate accessories to alleviate the problem. A test ride for you with the proper set up will tell you how comfortable the fit can be made. Good luck!

Yep, you are 100% correct, Jay......I forgot all about that. I noticed the same and have a mate at 6'6" who noticed the same thing on our test rides. The inside of your knees are right where the ridge is. Even with position 5, that did not go away for me, but..........I can honestly say it is a non event. I worried about it on the test ride, but as soon as I rode out of the showroom, I have never noticed it again, either on the highway or the twisties. I have put some clear 3M on the edge to prevent knee scuffing, just in case....

Pete

LateLifeCrisis
09-05-2017, 11:35 PM

My husband is tall - but ONLY a size 13 1/2 shoe. Me - I'm short with a size 5 shoe. After I installed the larger brake pedal on my F3 it made it easier to reach the pedal. Honey was certain it would just be in the way and hinder access to the brake pedal, but after riding it, he was surprised that the larger pedal made it easier for him as well - his heel never leaves the floorboard. Just my 2 cents from a short girl . . :dg1:

(and no disrespect taken!)

SpyderAnn01
09-06-2017, 12:23 AM
Tall woman with long legs here. Have had RT models since 2010 was comfortable on them with the Comfort Seat. I didn't think the F3 fit me but I sat on one with the pegs in Position 5 and the Short Reach Bars and I liked it. I've put 5,000 miles on it in a month and I was surprised how much I can move around. No knee pain.

LateLifeCrisis
09-06-2017, 01:32 AM
Tall woman with long legs here. Have had RT models since 2010 was comfortable on them with the Comfort Seat. I didn't think the F3 fit me but I sat on one with the pegs in Position 5 and the Short Reach Bars and I liked it. I've put 5,000 miles on it in a month and I was surprised how much I can move around. No knee pain.

Mine is set up the same way - - although I'm 5'4" I have a long inseam and the F3 puts you in a relaxed position and allows you to move around if need be.

sylvester
09-06-2017, 07:22 AM

Tall w/s I had a tall Tulsa w/s off my Goldwing that I cut bottum up and made it fit after I purchased a 23 Inch w/s with brackets still didn't like it so i used the Tulsa happy camper now i like looking through the w/s not over it of course i'm only 6ft but would help you have to drill some holes tedious work but worth it you will love the f-3 limited

SPYD3R
09-06-2017, 07:39 AM
Carl, you are talking about the F3 Limited.

Unfortunately, I doubt either of the two stock F3-L OEM shields will work for your height. The wind will hit you right at chest height with a bad case of bobble head. You will have to buy aftermarket. I have an F4 25" which works a treat at keeping the wind at the top of my helmet.

I don't believe the RT sway bar works on the F3-L, but check with Ron.

Make sure you give the dealer plenty of notice for your test ride, and INSIST that he has the Position 5 foot setup for you. I found the middle of the road handlebars worked best for me (I.e neither long reach or short reach).

I'm not sure how heavy you are, but the F3-L comes with the 2up shock, so you can disregard the earliest post re needing to buy the 2 up shock. I only upgraded mine to Wilbers because I am over 310lbs and exceed the max allowance when riding 2up. The stock shock was handling it well, but.......

You can see the options I am using, in my signature.

Pete

Pete;
i have the RT Sway Bar on my F3, and another half-dozen of those that I ride with also have the RT bar on their F3's.... the RT bars are .060 diameter larger than the OEM F3 bar, other than that, all the other dimensions are exactly the same... it's a great upgrade...
Thanks to Doc Riverside for his help with all these bars...
Dan P
SPYD3R

MOSESS
09-06-2017, 04:47 PM
Guys I am setting up a test ride, the one issue now is to sell my Rt. dealer wants to give me 13k for a 15 RTS with 6K .with minor upgrades .sway bar and raco bumper and hitch. the info you guys have provided is a great help. Trying to make this as painless as possible.

SPYD3R
09-06-2017, 05:59 PM
Guys I am setting up a test ride, the one issue now is to sell my Rt. dealer wants to give me 13k for a 15 RTS with 6K .with minor upgrades .sway bar and raco bumper and hitch. the info you guys have provided is a great help. Trying to make this as painless as possible.

BEST of LUCK MOSESS.....
keep us posted, we care....
btw; i have 42,000+ miles of smiles on mine, and it's as exciting every time i hop on, as it was the 1st time.... :ohyea: it never gets old...:bowdown:
Dan P
SPYD3R

Peteoz
09-06-2017, 08:29 PM
My husband is tall - but ONLY a size 13 1/2 shoe. Me - I'm short with a size 5 shoe. After I installed the larger brake pedal on my F3 it made it easier to reach the pedal. Honey was certain it would just be in the way and hinder access to the brake pedal, but after riding it, he was surprised that the larger pedal made it easier for him as well - his heel never leaves the floorboard. Just my 2 cents from a short girl . . :dg1:

(and no disrespect taken!)

That's interesting, LateLife. I tried the larger brake pedal on my F3-L, and it forced my size 15s too far off the side of the floorboard. I had to go back to the stock pedal.

Pete

sylvester
09-07-2017, 05:33 AM

Moses, my brother told me yesterday that the folks who make the F4 tall boy w/s will make you any size you want just give them a jingle:yes: