PDA

View Full Version : One Wheel Pull Behind Trailer

Hisst
08-27-2017, 07:19 PM
I have been looking at one wheel trailers like the one I pulled behind my GW an really liked it....has any one pulled one behind a 16 limited. One other concern that I have is since the hitch comes off the axel and swing arm, will the trailer move around so much that it would destroy our vpaps and air concentrator . Hisst

4 MARIE
08-27-2017, 10:04 PM
what's a vpap?

Peter Aawen
08-27-2017, 10:34 PM
VPAP = Variable Positive Airway Pressure machine, sometimes called a BIPAP machine, or BI-level Positive Airways Pressure machine. These things cater for differences in Insparitory (breathing IN) air pressure & Exhalation (breathing OUT) air pressures to make it easier & more comfortable for the wearer; generally used for those suffering from things like sleep apnea so that they get sufficient oxygen & air pressure during sleep to keep them alive & breathing properly. Life saving devices, not massively large, but a tad cumbersome to carry on a 'bike or Spyder. :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-27-2017, 10:39 PM
I have been looking at one wheel trailers like the one I pulled behind my GW an really liked it....has any one pulled one behind a 16 limited. One other concern that I have is since the hitch comes off the axel and swing arm, will the trailer move around so much that it would destroy our vpaps and air concentrator . Hisst IMHO the one wheel trailer works best with a two motorcycle ..... because they both lean in turns .... the Spyder doesn't .... that may or may not be an issue .... but if you have a choice , You can get a high quality aluminum trailer for about $ 1500.00 ...............Mike :thumbup:

fjray
08-27-2017, 10:56 PM
Any trailer you tow using the standard spyder hitch will beat the crap out of the trailer contents. The unigo type with the wheel farther back will be worse. It's to bad a proper hitch isn't available for all the spyders. I designed and built one but never used it because I went back to a wing.

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-27-2017, 11:07 PM
Any trailer you tow using the standard spyder hitch will beat the crap out of the trailer contents.
That depends on the trailer and where in the trailer the contents are. A trailer with a suspension that gives a lot should ride reasonably smoothly. However, anything mounted on the tongue or near the front of the trailer will feel the bounce from the Spyder hitch. Stuff over and behind the wheels will ride as smoothly as the suspension will allow. Anything carried on a hitch mounted rack will get the crap shaken out of it for sure.

SpyderAnn01
08-27-2017, 11:25 PM
I've never had anything broken in my trailer but I had stuff beaten to death on a hitch rack like Idaho said.

Curious why why you'd want a single wheel trailer when a two wheel trailer is a known entity? Are they considerable cheaper?

Hisst
08-28-2017, 12:07 AM
They are about half the weight, lot narrower and about 11 cubic feet....I don't need a big trailer. Looks like I am not going to get a smooth riding trailer to bring my medical equipment along without destroying the equipment. Maybe need a new hitch design. Hisst

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-28-2017, 01:01 AM
They are about half the weight, lot narrower and about 11 cubic feet....I don't need a big trailer. Looks like I am not going to get a smooth riding trailer to bring my medical equipment along without destroying the equipment. Maybe need a new hitch design. Hisst
I've carried my CPAP machine in my trailer, at the rear, for thousands of miles with no problem. Find a small two wheel trailer like the Freedom trailer and you'll be quite OK. The longer tongue gets the cargo farther away from the hitch bounce and the suspension is the controlling issue. You also don't need to be as concerned about width like with the GW. The Spyder is a lot wider than a GW so as long as your trailer is narrower than the front wheels, you'll be OK. You're not going to be riding in narrow pathways like you could with the 'wing. Just because a Uni-Go trailer is a great solution for trailering with a GW, that doesn't mean it's the best solution for trailering with a Spyder, especially considering the front of it would be bouncing so much and it is so short.

No 2817
08-28-2017, 04:38 AM
Any trailer you tow using the standard spyder hitch will beat the crap out of the trailer contents. The unigo type with the wheel farther back will be worse. It's to bad a proper hitch isn't available for all the spyders. I designed and built one but never used it because I went back to a wing.

Went with a LUMINA trailer. Lost 3 beers from the trailer BOUNCE. I thought it was because of the trailer I got. With the trailer off one of my friends asked me what the hell was going up and down the back of my Spyder. The Trailer Hitch!

Chris

JayD
08-28-2017, 06:41 AM
I have carried my dialysis in an Aluma two wheel trailer for two years. I set the machine on 4"of foam and block around it with more foam. It is a complex and expensive piece of equipment. I have never had an issue with the machine.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-28-2017, 09:12 AM
They are about half the weight, lot narrower and about 11 cubic feet....I don't need a big trailer. Looks like I am not going to get a smooth riding trailer to bring my medical equipment along without destroying the equipment. Maybe need a new hitch design. Hisst..IMHO the amount of movement of the tongue has almost nothing to do with what's going on inside the trailer ( I'm talking physics here )...... What causes damage to cargo is the trailers suspension.... If your car was being towed by a Stiff hitch and you were inside the car ... there would be NO difference in the feeling of the ride in the car... It's the Cars suspension that will determine what you feel ..............Mike :thumbup:

pauly1
08-28-2017, 09:38 AM
..IMHO the amount of movement of the tongue has almost nothing to do with what's going on inside the trailer ( I'm talking physics here )...... What causes damage to cargo is the trailers suspension.... If your car was being towed by a Stiff hitch and you were inside the car ... there would be NO difference in the feeling of the ride in the car... It's the Cars suspension that will determine what you feel ..............Mike :thumbup:

I agree with you part way: the suspension has the greatest impact (pun intended) on the contents. That stated, my Bushtec had a tongue mounted cooler: it is more affected by the suspension, or lack there of, of the tow vehicle. Hit a 2" bump with the rear wheel and the only suspension is the give of the rear tire. And the movement of the tire will create local acceleration changes, adding more for/aft movement.

Wayne

asp125
08-28-2017, 10:27 AM
Because the hitch is mounted on an unsprung part of the vehicle, it will feel every jolt from the road and transmit it to the trailer. Regardless of whether or not the trailer has suspension, if you were to picture yourself holding the tongue, and jerking it up and down, the trailer will still rotate/rock about its own axle; jostling the load accordingly. Your best bet is to wrap fragile stuff in some memory foam or padding and hope for the best. That, or carry that kind of stuff in a sprung part of the vehicle like the frunk or topcase.

Fatcycledaddy
08-28-2017, 11:20 AM
I have no fragile electronic equipment that I carry, but I do have a Coleman lantern with an extremely fragile mantel.
I have a torsion axle on the trailer, no springs.
I have it at the rear of the trailer and have towed it over 15,000 miles with the Spyder, as of now I have only had the mantel break one time and that is when I ran one side up and over a curb. The right side bounced about a foot in the air and came back down. That night the mantel was broken.

oldgoat
08-28-2017, 11:39 AM
I've carried my CPAP machine in my trailer, at the rear, for thousands of miles with no problem. Find a small two wheel trailer like the Freedom trailer and you'll be quite OK. The longer tongue gets the cargo farther away from the hitch bounce and the suspension is the controlling issue.

:agree:

I've also carried my CPAP with no harm coming to it. I have a custom built 2 wheel trailer (12" wheels) with torsion suspension on each wheel & a welded aluminum frame with a long tongue. It has a large car top box for the cargo.

Works just fine.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-28-2017, 12:33 PM
Because the hitch is mounted on an unsprung part of the vehicle, it will feel every jolt from the road and transmit it to the trailer. Regardless of whether or not the trailer has suspension, if you were to picture yourself holding the tongue, and jerking it up and down, the trailer will still rotate/rock about its own axle; jostling the load accordingly. Your best bet is to wrap fragile stuff in some memory foam or padding and hope for the best. That, or carry that kind of stuff in a sprung part of the vehicle like the frunk or topcase. Seriously .... since the hitch is attached to the swing arm , which holds the rear wheel ....how often do you think your rear wheel actually leaves the road !!!! ... and by how much .......Because this is going to determine how much up / down movement the trl. BALL is going to move..... If you really think it's all about the Hitch ....see what happens towing a trailer that Doesn't have any SUSPENSION.......Mike :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-28-2017, 12:59 PM
Seriously .... since the hitch is attached to the swing arm , which holds the rear wheel ....how often do you think your rear wheel actually leaves the road !!!! ... and by how much .......Because this is going to determine how much up / down movement the trl. BALL is going to move..... If you really think it's all about the Hitch ....see what happens towing a trailer that Doesn't have any SUSPENSION.......Mike :thumbup:
We're not saying it's all about the hitch. The hitch is one of the two controlling factors. The hitch does vibrate simply from road roughness. The tire doesn't have to leave the road surface. Several on here have mentioned that contents in a hitch mounted carrier get shaken pretty badly, including broken soda bottles. I had my trailer chain S hooks get bounced off of the hitch which is why I now use spring closing clips. As for the trailer, the farther back from the hitch you go the less the influence of the hitch vibration and the greater the vibration from the trailer tires. If the tongue is long, and the trailer suspension absorbs the road vibration adequately, the trailer will ride smoothly. My trailer tongue, made of only 0.60" thick 2" square steel tube, broke nearly all the way around next to the box due to vibration. I'm sure a combination of both the hitch vibration and trailer bounce from its tires contributed to the break.

The way I see it, the Uni-Go trailer box is so close to the hitch it will suffer significant vibration input from the hitch.

asp125
08-28-2017, 02:20 PM
Seriously .... since the hitch is attached to the swing arm , which holds the rear wheel ....how often do you think your rear wheel actually leaves the road !!!! ... and by how much .......Because this is going to determine how much up / down movement the trl. BALL is going to move..... If you really think it's all about the Hitch ....see what happens towing a trailer that Doesn't have any SUSPENSION.......Mike :thumbup:

The hitch doesn't have to leave the ground! Imagine the shock hitting a pothole, or railroad track crossing at speed. The impact that the tire / hitch sees is nothing that your butt feels, because the shock absorber attenuates that. You can bet you get a broken wrist if you had your hand on that hitch, though. Why else do you think there are reports of rear fender weld failures? And NO, it's not JUST the hitch, as Idaho says, it's a combination of things: hitch, distance to axle, suspension or lack of.

Or are we gonna get this thread locked too? ;)

Many brands
08-28-2017, 05:56 PM
Back to the question. One Wheel, or Two ? ONE. One works great for a two wheeler, not so great for a Trike. The trike dosent lean, So why yould you want a trailer to ?

Hisst
08-28-2017, 06:13 PM
Back to the question. One Wheel, or Two ? ONE. One works great for a two wheeler, not so great for a Trike. The trike dosent lean, So why yould you want a trailer to ?
The trailer doesn't care if it leans or not......no problem. I want a smaller and lighter trailer an one wheel has all of this.....hisst

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-28-2017, 06:34 PM
The trailer doesn't care if it leans or not......no problem. I want a smaller and lighter trailer an one wheel has all of this.....hisst
If you can carry all your sensitive equipment on the Spyder, and the vibration tolerant stuff, like clothes, in the trailer, then it'll work as you want. I trust you've gotten a reasonable understanding about our concerns about shaking and bouncing and vibration and the challenges it presents.

Roadster Renovations
08-28-2017, 07:02 PM
If you can carry all your sensitive equipment on the Spyder, and the vibration tolerant stuff, like clothes, in the trailer, then it'll work as you want. I trust you've gotten a reasonable understanding about our concerns about shaking and bouncing and vibration and the challenges it presents.

That is exactly what we do.

sylvester
08-28-2017, 09:09 PM

buy a buschtec trl air ride:yes: