PDA

View Full Version : Does changing my own oil void my warranty ..?

Dmetcalf
08-23-2017, 08:38 AM
Just wondering if it would because I have always changed my own oil on all of my vehicles including my motorcycles. I only have a bit over 1,000 mi. On it currently but I thought I would ask this question.
thanks

trikermutha
08-23-2017, 08:42 AM
Nope it will not :thumbup:

d.o.spyder-rts
08-23-2017, 09:17 AM
I would recommend keeping a record when the maintenance is completed and keeping all receipts to prove the work was done. Dale

Bob Denman
08-23-2017, 09:25 AM
:agree: Keep your records and receipts: you're bullet-proof! :thumbup:

Dmetcalf
08-23-2017, 09:27 AM
I understand fully that these are expensive machines and we shouldn't complain about paying high prices for things like oil changes but I am one of the types of individuals that like to save a couple bucks and D.I.Y. If I am able and capable of doing it. I used to think that Harley's were expensive to maintain until I started to price what it cost to maintain these units ..!
Tganjs for the information and I'll keep a log of my oil changes, etc..

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-23-2017, 10:45 AM
I understand fully that these are expensive machines and we shouldn't complain about paying high prices for things like oil changes but I am one of the types of individuals that like to save a couple bucks and D.I.Y. If I am able and capable of doing it. I used to think that Harley's were expensive to maintain until I started to price what it cost to maintain these units ..!
Tganjs for the information and I'll keep a log of my oil changes, etc.. I forget what year ..... but quite awhile ago Congress passed a Bill called the " Moss-Magnussen Act " which prevents Mfg's from demanding veh's be serviced at their facilities or the Warranty would be Voided ..... But keep good records of what you do ..... I have done all my own maintenance on all my Spyders except for Warranty work .....I'd est. I've saved over $4,000 on maintenance, probably more ...... Mike :thumbup:

jaapkroes
08-23-2017, 11:34 AM
I forget what year ..... but quite awhile ago Congress passed a Bill called the " Moss-Magnussen Act " which prevents Mfg's from demanding veh's be serviced at their facilities or the Warranty would be Voided ..... But keep good records of what you do ..... I have done all my own maintenance on all my Spyders except for Warranty work .....I'd est. I've saved over $4,000 on maintenance, probably more ...... Mike :thumbup:

Where do you get the necessary O-Rings, Filter(s) and Crush Washers? Or do you purchase a BRP Oil Change Kit? I would prefer to purchase my own oil (Mobil 1 10w-40 full synthetic). TIA

Bob Denman
08-23-2017, 11:42 AM
I forget what year ..... but quite awhile ago Congress passed a Bill called the " Moss-Magnussen Act "

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act (P.L. 93-637) is a United States federal law, (15 U.S.C. § 2301 et seq.). Enacted in 1975, it is the federal statute that governs warranties on consumer products.

RinconRyder
08-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Where do you get the necessary O-Rings, Filter(s) and Crush Washers? Or do you purchase a BRP Oil Change Kit? I would prefer to purchase my own oil (Mobil 1 10w-40 full synthetic). TIA

I ordered mine from BajaRon (one of the forum sponsors for this site). Comes by First Class mail. Buy your oil separately.

ofdave
08-23-2017, 12:30 PM
+1 to what Rincon said
Bajaron has quite an extensive Ebay store which is good for fast shipping
the oil needs to meet JASO MA2 standards (wet clutch), does not have to be "motorcycle" oil

BajaRon
08-23-2017, 12:40 PM
Tganjs for the information and I'll keep a log of my oil changes, etc..

I don't know about that. Some of these dealerships practice highway robbery with the service charges they extract from customers. Many owners have no other alternative and that's right where the want you.

BajaRon
08-23-2017, 12:42 PM
I ordered mine from BajaRon (one of the forum sponsors for this site). Comes by First Class mail. Buy your oil separately.

I do sell Amsoil at my actual dealer price. I don't make anything on the oil. Amsoil is a superior lubricant and just one more option. Since I sell it at what it actually costs me I need a zip code to give an accurate price quote. And since I don't make anything on the transaction I never mind if you decide not to get the oil.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-23-2017, 01:24 PM
Where do you get the necessary O-Rings, Filter(s) and Crush Washers? Or do you purchase a BRP Oil Change Kit? I would prefer to purchase my own oil (Mobil 1 10w-40 full synthetic). TIA See post #9 above and Ron ( BAJARON ) has OTHER excellent maintenance items that I have purchased ... great to do business with :firstplace::firstplace: :yes:.... ANNNNNNNND make sure you get the Mobil #1 that is certified for MOTORCYCLES ..... they put that label on a lot of Different types of their oils .....it's not just about the weight .............. Mike :thumbup:

ARtraveler
08-23-2017, 01:42 PM
It looks like your questions about self service and warranties have been covered. That's the story. We have never had a post where someone was refused warranty coverage because they did their own work. And...I am guessing we would hear about that very fast. :yes:

I go back a ways (2/2010) and have a pretty good memory on things related to the site.

Dmetcalf
08-23-2017, 01:45 PM
It looks like your questions about self service and warranties have been covered. That's the story. We have never had a post where someone was refused warranty coverage because they did their own work. And...I am guessing we would hear about that very fast. :yes:

I go back a ways (2/2010) and have a pretty good memory on things related to the site.

yup, I appreciate all of the great information on my topic about doing some of our own maintenance on these fine machines..!

pegasus1300
08-23-2017, 05:28 PM

you can buy the necessary parts including filters o rings and flat copper washers from BajaRon. As there are no crush washers involved only flat copper washers,he gives you the option of buying new or not. I have reused mine a couple of times with no leaks,but do always order the new ones just in case.