PDA

View Full Version : Enclosed trailer advice

viiiball
08-20-2017, 01:54 PM
Wife and I will be heading out in a RV full time. We will be taking a Spyder RT Limited and a Harley Ultra Classic. I am in the market for an enclosed trailer. I would love an 8x12 but might have to settle for a 7x14. Anyone have any recommendations on trailer manufacturers I should be looking at? And other than Craigslist, is there a good place to look for a used trailer for sale?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Easy Rider
08-20-2017, 02:32 PM
WAnd other than Craigslist, is there a good place to look for a used trailer for sale?

I don't have much faith in Craigslist; you have to be too careful not to get scammed.......or worse.

Look for local trailer dealers. There probably are some that you just haven't noticed.

And, from some recent experience, see if you can find one with an extra foot or so ON THE TOP. Makes it much easier to ride the machines into the trailer without taking the top of your head off. :yikes:

Also, don't depend on measurements alone. Do a "test load" to be absolutely sure that they will fit.......with enough room left over to tie them down GOOD.

jaherbst
08-20-2017, 03:16 PM
Wells Cargo and Look are two very good quality brands and dealers are Nation Wide.

Jack

Brentc
08-20-2017, 03:33 PM
I went with an enclosed Neo v nose all aluminum. 7x16, very lightweight tandem axle, will fit Spyder and brp trailer no problem, so it should fit a Spyder and Harley. Your welcome to come on up and check it out, and if you like I'm only 10 miles from the local Neo dealer, great place to deal with.

http://www.jprserviceinc.com/

Kathy76065
08-20-2017, 04:04 PM
Just my 2 cents worth here.

As others have said make sure both bikes will fit in what ever you choose and the RV can pull the weight of trailer and both bikes comfortably.

We just sold our 7x12 v nose and it held the Ultra Classic great but there was definitely no room for much of anything else other than narrowly walking around the bike. You need e-tracks to tie off the load even with a top grade wheel chock. I used a harbor freight wheel chock and it worked perfect but I also mounted e tracks in the floor down the each side of the bike to assure the load didn't shift. I ordered our trailer with a 7" interior so I had plenty of head room inside.

Our trailer had rear drop door to use as ride in ramp,as well as a side entry door, electric trailer brakes, torsion axles which rode smoother that leaf springs. I mounted a wireless camera in the nose of the trailer to monitor the load going down the road which was great to have.

If I was going to buy another trailer I would spend the money on an aluminum trailer as they are much lighter and easier on the fuel expense. RYDE SAFE and ENJOY

asp125
08-20-2017, 04:35 PM
Whatever size, check the width of the ramp door opening! That's going to be the critical dimension.

Bumble_B
08-20-2017, 06:58 PM
We test fitted a 2014 RTS and a Victory Cross Country Tour in a 7x14 V-nose. They just barely fit. Had to angle the Vic just right. The trailer dealer said a 7x16 was only a couple of hundred more. We tried one in stock and it was much better. The brand was Diamond Cargo. Dealer also said that on that brand, the 7x16 had a stronger frame and was well suited for a weight distribution type setup. They said they had a customer who had a huge problem with the 7x14 and a WDH.

We have towed twice from Florida to New York. Turns out we did not need a WDH when properly setup by dealer. Well worth the extra couple hundred bucks for the 7x16 especially when you are checking the tie downs on the road and need the space to snug them up.

viiiball
08-21-2017, 06:39 AM
Thank you to all that responded. I appreciate each and every hint. Its always good to learn from others experience.

Bob Denman
08-21-2017, 06:54 AM
We're gonna cheat: we're buying a Class C Toyhauler.
The Spyder will JUST fit in the garage... :thumbup:

Dennis in Lodi
08-21-2017, 07:20 AM
Most single trailers come with a #3500 axle. And most offer an upgrade to a #5200 axle. If you're thinking single axle your gross weight with the trailer will be nearly maxed out.
I got a 7 X 14 trailer with the upgraded 5200 lb axle, Upgraded radial tires, made by RC trailers for $3,200 out the door. Do not under any circumstances get a trailer with bias tires as they only last about 1000 miles. They all wear on the outside edge. If it's a big Trailer dealer, they'll have real radial tires in stock. Always get radial tires for trailers.
If your not fussy about color, always ask for the oldest new trailer on the lot as they are paying interest after 90 days if it doesn't sell. I buy a lot of trailers and I hope this helps?

Wife and I will be heading out in a RV full time. We will be taking a Spyder RT Limited and a Harley Ultra Classic. I am in the market for an enclosed trailer. I would love an 8x12 but might have to settle for a 7x14. Anyone have any recommendations on trailer manufacturers I should be looking at? And other than Craigslist, is there a good place to look for a used trailer for sale?

timeless
08-21-2017, 07:38 AM
great advise!!!!!!!! I bought a 7x12 tall boy, single axle Hawthorn in 2010 to house my 2010RTSE5. I pulled it with my 26 foot motor home until 2016 when I bought a condo in Florida.
During the course of time & travels I broke the leaf springs on several occasions and finally had to upgrade everything to the 5200 lb rating.
I also went through several tires, even at the higher rating and proper inflation they would de laminate and then explode, ripping off the aluminum fenders every time.
Spend the few extra dollars and follow his good advise!!!!! It is a major PIA to have to do repairs along the EWAY!!!!!!!!!

Most single trailers come with a #3500 axle. And most offer an upgrade to a #5200 axle. If you're thinking single axle your gross weight with the trailer will be nearly maxed out.
I got a 7 X 14 trailer with the upgraded 5200 lb axle, Upgraded radial tires, made by RC trailers for $3,200 out the door. Do not under any circumstances get a trailer with bias tires as they only last about 1000 miles. They all wear on the outside edge. If it's a big Trailer dealer, they'll have real radial tires in stock. Always get radial tires for trailers.
If your not fussy about color, always ask for the oldest new trailer on the lot as they are paying interest after 90 days if it doesn't sell. I buy a lot of trailers and I hope this helps?

jaherbst
08-21-2017, 09:25 AM

Would that be the Thor class C Toy Hauler Bob? Looks like a great set up.

​Jack

Easy Rider
08-21-2017, 10:03 AM

Pretty much what I just did but mine is a used A hauler.
Are you buying new ?
Used C toy haulers are scarce as hens teeth.

I have plenty of room in mine.

pauly1
08-21-2017, 10:55 AM
A 7' width trailer will not handle the RT and FLHT-bikes. Spyders are 5' width and those with bags are 4' plus at the rear, so side-by-side placement is not an option. If you prefer a 7' width, then a 16' length plus a v-nose will allow end-to-end positioning.

Pulling behind an RV allows an 8' width with no real penalty for wind resistance; I pulled an 8' wide trailer behind a van for a while and it was a real chore due to the frontal area. Height is a similar no-penalty concern behind the RV; pulling behind a van or pickup it is a concern for wind resistance and I prefer a lower ceiling height (6' or less). I would recommend a tandem axle over a single axle, given the same load capacity, for bikes or boats: balance, smoothness, handling of road potholes, etc. The tradeoff is an increase in difficulty in tight maneuvering by hand such as in the garage or driveway.

Wayne

Bob Denman
08-21-2017, 11:07 AM
Iron Horse makes a wide Body model that should do the job.

https://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/motorcycle-trailers/widebody-motorcyle-trailer/

Mike T picked one up this year: PM him about it! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-21-2017, 11:11 AM
Would that be the Thor class C Toy Hauler Bob? Looks like a great set up.

​Jack

Yup! We bought the Outlaw... :thumbup:

A 2018 model year rig.
We pick it up this Saturday; I wonder how much blood I'll need to sell, in order to pay for it? :shocked:

MikeT
08-21-2017, 11:25 AM
Iron Horse makes a wide Body model that should do the job.

https://www.ironhorsetrailers.com/motorcycle-trailers/widebody-motorcyle-trailer/

Mike T picked one up this year: PM him about it! :thumbup:
Mike T here,
I don't think the standard Wide Body will hold an RT AND a Ultra Classic. My RT Limited fits with some room to walk around and tie the trike down. They just started marketing an enclosed 2-axle Slingshot Hauler. I don't know the dimensions. Just call Ironhorse and talk with them. I/We love the clamshell top and it's pulls easy with my 2010 Highlander with trailer tow pckage.

Bob Denman
08-21-2017, 11:44 AM

I saw the outside dimension as 102", and made an assumption... :opps:

Easy Rider
08-21-2017, 02:48 PM
Yup! We bought the Outlaw... :thumbup:

In many respects, no doubt, similar to the Damon (Thor) Outlaw A that I got.

It doesn't look very long. Mine is 36' but since it is a "bull nose" none of that length is take up with a cab.
How long is yours ? Are you SURE that the Spyder will fit ??

If you haven't yet, you really SHOULD actually put it IN there once before you hand over the check.

Gutsplitter
08-21-2017, 04:05 PM
I ended up getting an aluminum dual axle 8.5 x 16 v-nose. Hauled the RTL and trailer home though I had to angle the trailer. Getting ready to prep it to haul the RTL and my BMW R1200RT. Will let you know how that works but it should be fine!

Bob Denman
08-21-2017, 04:46 PM
How long is yours ? Are you SURE that the Spyder will fit ??
If you haven't yet, you really SHOULD actually put it IN there once before you hand over the check.
It's actually very simple Math... nojoke
The garage is nine feet deep: the Spyder is only 8'9"...
Tight: but a fit! :thumbup:

jdiamond
08-21-2017, 06:05 PM
A 7' width trailer will not handle the RT and FLHT-bikes. Spyders are 5' width and those with bags are 4' plus at the rear, so side-by-side placement is not an option. If you prefer a 7' width, then a 16' length plus a v-nose will allow end-to-end positioning.

Pulling behind an RV allows an 8' width with no real penalty for wind resistance; I pulled an 8' wide trailer behind a van for a while and it was a real chore due to the frontal area. Height is a similar no-penalty concern behind the RV; pulling behind a van or pickup it is a concern for wind resistance and I prefer a lower ceiling height (6' or less). I would recommend a tandem axle over a single axle, given the same load capacity, for bikes or boats: balance, smoothness, handling of road potholes, etc. The tradeoff is an increase in difficulty in tight maneuvering by hand such as in the garage or driveway.

Wayne

"The Spyders are 8 feet 9 inches each. Two of them end to end are 17 feet 6 inches. A 16 foot length trailer with a 2 foot nose is 18 feet total length which is too short for two Spyders. A 3 foot nose would give you a 19 foot length, still a bit tight for 2 Spyders.
I am thinking an 18 foot trailer for my needs + nose. Would appreciate anyones thoughts on this. Thanks.

duke50
08-21-2017, 06:16 PM

I have a 7x14 enclosed and I cant see how you could get both in at the same time,theres no way

Marker
08-21-2017, 06:47 PM
"The Spyders are 8 feet 9 inches each. Two of them end to end are 17 feet 6 inches. A 16 foot length trailer with a 2 foot nose is 18 feet total length which is too short for two Spyders. A 3 foot nose would give you a 19 foot length, still a bit tight for 2 Spyders.
I am thinking an 18 foot trailer for my needs + nose. Would appreciate anyones thoughts on this. Thanks.

I PM some one on facebook that was selling their 18FT plus Vnose length; They haul two spyder F3Limiteds in it and it works great. the lspecs are was 7FT wide X 18FT long bed plus the length of Vnose. She didnt give me total length .
The trailer is aluminum.
This is what I will be purchasing.

Easy Rider
08-21-2017, 08:12 PM
It's actually very simple Math... nojoke
The garage is nine feet deep: the Spyder is only 8'9"...
Tight: but a fit! :thumbup:

I don't know why I waste my time sometimes.

Ever heard the old carpenters adage: Measure twice, cut once ??
I bet you haven't even actually measured the spyder once, have you ??
Nor actually measured the usable space inside the garage either.....have you ??

I wish you luck.
My 70 years of experience making mistakes like that tells me that an inch and a half on each end is NOT enough space to just take for granted.
Also hit a bad bump and it could move more than an inch and a half......no matter how good you have it tied down.

Please do keep us posted on how this works out.
Others will find the information useful, I'm sure.

jdiamond
08-22-2017, 09:24 AM
I PM some one on facebook that was selling their 18FT plus Vnose length; They haul two spyder F3Limiteds in it and it works great. the lspecs are was 7FT wide X 18FT long bed plus the length of Vnose. She didnt give me total length .
The trailer is aluminum.
This is what I will be purchasing.

"The F3 I believe is 102 inches long (8'6"). The RT Ltd is 105 inches long (8'9"). You will pick up 6" more of trailer space if you haul
2 F 3's as opposed to 2 RT's."

Bob Denman
08-22-2017, 09:40 AM
I don't know why I waste my time sometimes.
Perhaps you shouldn't...
I'd ask you how stupid do you think that I am; only it's already obvious!
You've never actually run a steel tape for money:have you?
I have...
I also had a Grampa, who taught me the importance of making sure...

But you're too busy pontificating; to hear what you've actually said...

Easy Rider
08-22-2017, 09:59 AM
But you're too busy pontificating; to hear what you've actually said...

SIGH.

I asked you a simple question and offered a simple suggestion .........
but YOU couldn't just give a simple answer and instead started about 4 rounds of exchanges that are meaningless and confrontational.

I know exactly what I said. It seems that you don't.

I quit. Good luck "getting the glove to fit".

Bob Denman
08-22-2017, 10:32 AM
:D I already know that it does, and that it will... :roflblack:

viiiball
08-22-2017, 01:12 PM
Thank you again everyone. This has been very helpful. Bob, we looked at a toy hauler but couldn't find one with a big enough garage. We will be full-timing so we want as much living space as possible too.

Bob Denman
08-22-2017, 05:36 PM
My Missus was willing to sacrifice living space for the Spyder: who am I to complain about that? :D

pauly1
08-22-2017, 11:00 PM

I've owned 7X14, 8X18 and (my current) 7X16 trailers. Note that which Spyder models being hauled will make a difference in the needed space: it's not just length but also width when positioning the Spyders into the vee-front area and side access around the bikes. For clarification, we've got an ST, 2 F3S models and an H-D FLHTK dresser. I've had the 7X16 trailer since July, 2009 and have logged about 35K miles with it and various combinations of motorcycles, across the flat heartland, through the mountains, and through shallow ditches (unexpectedly to avoid an accident). Apparently I don't take many photos of the bikes mounted in the trailer. But I did find a couple.

The first is an RS backed into the nose into a single tire chock for the back wheel; the blocks on the side keep the front end from moving sideways if the straps are not tightened evenly. The ST and F3 Spyders will fit in the same way. The second shows the H-D FLHTK in place. A third photo will be added (as it's on a different computer at the moment) showing the ST and F3 in a fit-up stage. One cannot walk around the forward or aft ends with the doors closed but one can navigate down the sides and walk between the front ends when loaded. One may need more space for maneuvering if one has mobility issues, but this arrangement has worked successfully for our travels.

We have successfully hauled the following combinations: an RS and std H-D Touring bike, an ST-LTD with saddlebags and std H-D Touring bike, an ST-LTD with saddlebags and an F3-S with saddlebags, and 2 F3-S models with saddlebags, always end to end. The front one is backed in and the back one is driven in. Each of the Spyders have two straps that hold the real wheel against a chock.

Like I stated earlier, if you are pulling behind a motorhome then dimensions don't much matter as the hole has already been punched in the air: get the biggest you think you'll need. The challenge with then be the gross trailer and load weight and rolling resistance. If you are hauling two heavies, go with a tandem axle arrangement. If the suspension system is torsion bar-based then one needs to pay attention to the tongue height to evenly distribute the load between the axles.

Wayne

Lucky
08-23-2017, 08:38 PM
I use a 7x19 (which is a 7x16 box and a 3 foot V nose) Legend trailer. Tandem 3500 pound axles. Brakes on one axle. The frame, box and skin are aluminum. The floor is wood. It has over 6 ft height, side door and drop back door. It was waaaaay cheaper than every other brand and has held up well for 9 years so far. It holds my 2015 RTS, my 08 Harley Ultra and my 1999 BMW R1200C all together. It's tough for an old fat guy to tie them all down but can be done. I pull it with my 3/4 ton van. Legend has more deluxe models but I went for the simplest one for cost. The red matches my van pretty well.

Bumble_B
08-27-2017, 08:07 AM
I have a 7x14 enclosed and I cant see how you could get both in at the same time,theres no way

Spyder in first. Nose forward into trailer V. Second bike angled. Been there, done that. 16 footer much better than a 14.

marty1096
09-30-2017, 07:10 PM
Spyder in first. Nose forward into trailer V. Second bike angled. Been there, done that. 16 footer much better than a 14.
Fits 2013 Victory Crossroads Tour and 2016 RT-S ... the rts rear wheel is moved toward left wall. The front of Vic is slightly on an angle. About 4-6 in between rear wheel and Vic front. I cant see two RTS though, maybe a RTL with a f3 with no saddlebags.