PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Spyder on a trailer

Indyron
08-19-2017, 06:11 PM
Has any one shipped a Spyder on a trailer. I'm not interested in "why don't you ride it" comments.

tomand
08-19-2017, 07:41 PM
We had one shipped in an enclosed trailer behind a pick up. Chicago to Boulder City Ng. No problems except some dust.

RinconRyder
08-19-2017, 09:52 PM
Has any one shipped a Spyder on a trailer. I'm not interested in "why don't you ride it" comments.

Do you mean shipping a trailer with a Spyder tied down on it?

No, but after trying for weeks to find transport for my Spyder from northern Idaho to Arizona I gave up, rented a tilt trailer and drove up and picked it up. I am going to guess you might be able to find transport for something like you want but it is going to be expensive and would depend on the square footage of the transport trailer. They tend to want to fit as many bikes inside the transport trailer as possible and three-wheelers are not the most efficient items to transport.

Buckeye Bleau
08-20-2017, 04:56 AM
Www.uship.com

Joe

ofdave
08-20-2017, 06:03 AM
should be no problem putting it on a trailer
there may be instructions in your owner's manual
here is a link with some good info
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?46981-How-do-I-tie-down-the-Spyder-RT-S-when-hauling-it-in-my-cargo-trailer

Indyron
08-20-2017, 07:43 AM
Do you mean shipping a trailer with a Spyder tied down on it?

No, but after trying for weeks to find transport for my Spyder from northern Idaho to Arizona I gave up, rented a tilt trailer and drove up and picked it up. I am going to guess you might be able to find transport for something like you want but it is going to be expensive and would depend on the square footage of the transport trailer. They tend to want to fit as many bikes inside the transport trailer as possible and three-wheelers are not the most efficient items to transport.

Yes, on my own trailer, got two quotes, $2,195 and $2,695 shipped from Indiana to Utah.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-20-2017, 09:43 AM
Yes, on my own trailer, got two quotes, $2,195 and $2,695 shipped from Indiana to Utah.
I deleted my first post on this ....I apologize , I didn't understand what you wanted to do ..... I think that price is outrageous !!!!!! ..... ask the same outfit what it would cost to ship a Navigator on the same route ?????? ..... the only thing I can think of is .... your trailer isn't going onto their Hauler by driving it on - like you would a Vehicle ..... So they have to push it on with something and then pull it off with something, this complicates things for the Hauler BIG TIME which = MONEY .......JMHO ....... Have you considered hiring someone who can TOW your trailer & Spyder on the same Route, with their Veh., it doesn't even have to a trk ..... the same way they hire a driver to take a vehicle from point A to B and the driver fly's back ........ Mike

ofdave
08-20-2017, 11:22 AM
now that it's clear what you are trying to do,
call a couple of the car hauling companies, the ones who haul show cars or exotics in enclosed trailers..
Your trailer with spyder attached probably isn't much bigger than a '35 Packard (and sure weighs less).

Only question would be how to get your trailer in their trailer. I'm sure they have the experience.
And I bet it will be way less than the theft quotes you already got.

RinconRyder
08-20-2017, 12:28 PM

That's what I was afraid of (and experienced myself). All sorts of quotes out there around $400 to ship a Spyder (not on its own trailer) but when my quotes arrived they were at least twice that with no guarantee of pickup or delivery dates. I got the impression there are a lot of "schedulers" out there that do business with independent truck drivers who operate at their own convenience. Seems to be a wildcat operation at best.

You will have better luck if your origin and destination cities are major metro areas but the best approach might just be to fly to the origin and rent a truck to tow the Spyder/trailer home.

Indyron
08-20-2017, 02:02 PM
Thanks to all, my next bet is to ship Spyder w/o trailer and I'll pull trailer myself. Should be less expensive

Indyron
08-20-2017, 02:09 PM
Thanks to all, my next bet is to ship Spyder w/o trailer and I'll pull trailer myself. Should be less expensive

Spyder only$460-$550

ofdave
08-20-2017, 06:23 PM

missing something here,
if you pull the trailer yourself, why not just leave the spyder on it?
what did the car shippers say?

msherwood
08-20-2017, 07:10 PM
I had mine transported New Hampshire to CA with Uship. They charged me 1,000.

OKey
08-23-2017, 10:25 PM
I bought my bike in April this year from a dealer in Naples Florida. He was selling it on EBay and I lucked out with the price and condition. I live an hour south of Madison, Wi near Rockford I'll. I went on a Board and found a guy that has transported many Spyders and he delivered it to me from Naples for $600.Others paid around $700 to $900.

Company Name: Jimmy Ray Whiteside ll
Email: JRWHITESIDEIITRANSLLC@OUTLOOK.COM

Good Luck...let us know what you do.

:riding:

UtahPete
08-23-2017, 11:20 PM

This is confusing as to what you are wanting to do. Especially when in a later post you say it's on your trailer. You want someone to pull your trailer with a Spyder on it to Utah and then return the trailer to you in Indiana?

I have towed my Spyder on my trailer over 2000 miles without any problems. Hope that helps.

UtahPete
08-24-2017, 08:24 AM

Is this for going to the Spyder Rally in St. George? Sure do need more info in order to address your question adequately.

ofdave
08-24-2017, 08:52 AM
Is this for going to the Spyder Rally in St. George? Sure do need more info in order to address your question adequately.

he said earlier in post number 6 he going to ship from Indiana to Utah,
heck, he may be your neighbor soon

UtahPete
08-24-2017, 09:11 AM
he said earlier in post number 6 he going to ship from Indiana to Utah, heck, he may be your neighbor soon

Yeah, that's what made me think he was hauling it to the rally.

ofdave
08-24-2017, 11:19 AM
Yeah, that's what made me think he was hauling it to the rally.

nope, he's moving next door to you and he has a rock band and a dozen pit bulls