PDA

View Full Version : How to move rear tire over in an enclosed trailer

spyderyooper
08-19-2017, 11:54 AM
Just bought a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer for my can am rt5.. i have to move the rear tire over about 6 inches to get another smaller cycle in but am unable to because of tight quarters.. anyone have any ideas on how to slide over on a wood surface??????

Brentc
08-19-2017, 12:01 PM
You could pickup an inexpensive wheel dolly at harbor freight? Jack it up in the trailer and rest the wheel on the dolly.

https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+R ank%2Cf&q=wheel+dolly

spyderyooper
08-19-2017, 12:05 PM
so what type of lift would i buy and where would i place it... just bought my rt5 so i am new to this....

2dogs
08-19-2017, 12:12 PM
Just get the small HF floor jack. Jack your spyder's rear tire up, scoot it over and let it down. By all means, don't leave your spyder's rear tire on a dolly while you're driving down the road.

spyderyooper
08-19-2017, 12:18 PM
ok will try... thanks

Brentc
08-19-2017, 12:22 PM
One of of the wheel dollies in the link above, looked like it had a built in lift. May be the answer to your whole problem?

ok will try... thanks

joekeys
08-19-2017, 01:27 PM
One of of the wheel dollies in the link above, looked like it had a built in lift. May be the answer to your whole problem?
Get a piece of carpet large enough and fasten it under where you rear tire will be. Get some plastic furniture sliders and put them on a smaller piece of plywood and put where your rear tire will be. Drive on it and you can easily slide it by hand. I have seen this done so another bike can be loaded.

spyderyooper
08-19-2017, 01:41 PM
Get a piece of carpet large enough and fasten it under where you rear tire will be. Get some plastic furniture sliders and put them on a smaller piece of plywood and put where your rear tire will be. Drive on it and you can easily slide it by hand. I have seen this done so another bike can be loaded.

ok thanks.. another good idea

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-19-2017, 05:59 PM
Yep a roo , they will all work ...but so will this , you can move it sideways 1 inch to 12 inches ... buy two pieces of thin galvanized sheet metal 22 to 28 ga. will work fine it needs to be 8 inches wide by 2 X's as far as you want to move it....... 8 x12 or 8 x 20 etc ..... take one piece and a large nail and hammer a lot of dimples into the sheet metal so one side looks like a " cheese grater " ...... the other one just screw it into the floor where the rear tire goes & you can put a chock ( piece of wood ) so the you know where the rear tire will stop....put the Cheese Grater piece on top ( dimples up :roflblack: ).... when you pull / push the Spyder sideways it will slide.. easy - peasey............. Mike :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
08-19-2017, 06:40 PM
Ya hey der Yooper, ya just grab the passenger handrails and give it a heave ho.

Chupaca
08-19-2017, 07:54 PM
Put her in neutral, release the park brake, push a shovel under the rear wheel (it will roll under) shove it over (slides on the shovel blade) pull shovel out...:thumbup: when you work alone you need those little extras to help you...:roflblack:

pitzerwm
08-19-2017, 07:59 PM

Only you and Joe could do that :yes::yes::yes:

pauly1
08-19-2017, 10:39 PM
I use a piece of corrugated cardboard under the rear wheel. Place the cardboard under the rear tire as you are rolling the Spyder into position. The cardboard had reduced friction and allows the tire and backend of the Spyder to be moved reasonably easy. Move the Spyder off of the cardboard and then roll into your desired location to strap it down.

Wayne

fjray
08-19-2017, 10:52 PM
Proper application of explosives ought to get it done:thumbup:

larryd
08-20-2017, 09:43 AM

That's exactly how I do it...And it works every time!!!

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-20-2017, 12:35 PM
That's exactly how I do it...And it works every time!!! Everyone needs to think about how manufactures design and build their products .... BRP ...NEVER ... built those passenger grab rails with pulling the Spyder sideways in mind ....soooooooo they didn't build Them ( the attachment area ) strong enough to do this :gaah:..... It maybe fine a few times, but how are you going to deal with Them coming OFF ........... This also applies to the New Magnetic RT mirror mounts , imho they are way to strong for the job they need to do..( the mirror assbly only weighs 2 1/3 lbs ) .. I DIY'ed mine and only used magnets about 1/2 the strength of MM's ..... I put my RT on a Nascar jack ( which has an instant release ) and dropped my Spyder 1 ft. 6 in. on the front wheels .... My mirrors didn't move ..... I think down the road the magnet attachment bolts are going to loosen the threaded ferrules in the Spyder body and then come out .... time will tell :dontknow: ........ Mike :thumbup:

CA Railwhale
08-20-2017, 01:40 PM
That's exactly how I do it...And it works every time!!!

If that wont work, you can use a ratchet tie-down to help slide the wheel. Just attach it to the rear wheel with a loop and crank away. If you need more leverage that that, a pair of visegrips on the lever will help. Add that to any of the friction reduction solutions people have posted and you should have an easy time of it.

CA Railwhale
08-20-2017, 01:41 PM
Proper application of explosives ought to get it done:thumbup:
As we used to say in the Army, there are very few problems that a proper application of explosives won't solve.

tnhoover
08-20-2017, 04:44 PM
Saw a guy move the back wheel in an enclosed trailer with a furniture slider like you buy at Lowes. Hard part was placing the slider it right to pull the back wheel up on it. He then strapped down thr front wheel and slid it over with very little effort.

Mazo EMS2
08-20-2017, 07:49 PM

Grab a passenger hand rail, shove the back end down, and as it rebounds, just pull it over on the rebound. All in a swift motion of course...Piece 'o cake.

Highwayman2013
08-20-2017, 08:49 PM
Spray some WD-40 on the floor and it will slide easily.

Poseidon
08-20-2017, 10:31 PM
Friend of mine used something similar to this. His is more like a standard floor jack with 2 bars that are spaced out to fit on each side of the tire. He jacks it up a little, moves the rear of the Spyder over to the side of the trailer and drops it back down. It makes easy work of the job. So easy in fact, I've seen his wife move it over by her self.