PDA

View Full Version : Fog Light Bulb 2014 RTS

Roadster Renovations
08-18-2017, 09:47 AM
What is everyone doing on these nowadays? Have one out and figured I would replace both.

Lew L
08-18-2017, 10:12 AM
What is everyone doing on these nowadays? Have one out and figured I would replace both. I went with LED ( and as of late the headlights also) On the fogs, the right side is a snap ( literally ) ------- the left side NOT SO MUCH.

Kaos

ThreeWheels
08-18-2017, 12:28 PM
LED's for sure.
I went with a set of headlights and fog lights from Lamont.

tomand
08-18-2017, 01:55 PM
LEDs are the way to go...if you buy Lamonts which I did, the headlight case you will need to modify.

I have been told that TRIC LED headlights you don't need to modify the headlight case.

Bob Denman
08-18-2017, 02:04 PM
TricLED LED bulbs... :bowdown:

Roadster Renovations
08-18-2017, 05:16 PM
Thanks!!

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-18-2017, 05:30 PM
Thanks!!...If you do the Fog lights .... take off the Frunk , it's a bit tedious ,,, but about 1/10 as tedious if you try and do it any other way. There is ZERO clearance, so if you don't get it perfect it ain't gonna happen ...... good luck .... Mike ...........PS please get the LED type :yes:

Bob Denman
08-18-2017, 06:06 PM
:agree: I watched the TricLEDs team struggle for over an hour with mine (With the Frunk still in place.)... And they know they're doing! :shocked:

Deanna777
08-18-2017, 06:25 PM
I went with Tric-LED head/fog lights. I had the right side burn out with the OEM bulbs last month.

I also have radio inference with the Tric-Led head/fog lights. Which I am working to get resolved. I have a 2014 RTS-SE6. I'll post the results next week. I am getting them changed tomorrow @ the dealership.

**** 9/28/2017 here are the results on my Tric-Led head/fog lights: I did get them installed and WOW what difference, a lot brighter. More visible. ****

Deanna

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-18-2017, 09:51 PM
I went with Tric-LED head/fog lights. I had the right side burn out with the OEM bulbs last month.

I also have radio inference with the Tric-Led head/fog lights. Which I am working to get resolved. I have a 2014 RTS-SE6. I'll post the results next week. I am getting them changed tomorrow @ the dealership.

Deanna
Interesting , I have the Tri-Clid LED headlights and no interference on either my XM or my normal FM radio ....sorry to hear this ...hope it can be fixed ..... Mike :thumbup:

irvin48
08-19-2017, 05:40 AM
and when you DO take the frunk off it would be a good time for a"doc video
of fog light install and removing the frunk. hint, hint!:clap:--irv

Bob Denman
08-19-2017, 09:25 AM
:agree: :2thumbs:

Roadster Renovations
08-19-2017, 09:36 AM
Not sure if I will have time until the end of season. I will try....

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-19-2017, 09:37 AM
and when you DO take the frunk off it would be a good time for a"doc video
of fog light install and removing the frunk. hint, hint!:clap:--irv If the frunk is OFF you can do the FOG lights with your eye's closed ...... I'm not kidding, it's that easy. .... The problem as I stated above is there IS NO CLEARANCE ......not for the light cover or the hands that do the work ........... Mike :thumbup:

irvin48
08-20-2017, 06:11 AM
one of the techs at johnson creek who puts on awesome seminars each year
showed us how to take one off sat. he stripped the entire machine down.
very informative. :bowdown::bowdown::yes:--irv

jcthorne
08-20-2017, 06:35 AM
Its not necessary to remove the frunk to replace the fog lamp bulbs. We do them all the time. I did have to watch Lamont's video a couple times to understand how he was accessing them but once you know how, they are not that hard. Especially if done while doing the head lamps as the required body panels will already be off.

Cindy-TricLED
08-20-2017, 10:52 AM
LEDs are the way to go...if you buy Lamonts which I did, the headlight case you will need to modify.

I have been told that TRIC LED headlights you don't need to modify the headlight case.

** correct, no need to cut / modify the headlight casing with our bulbs..

eddieshep999
08-20-2017, 02:32 PM
Its not necessary to remove the frunk to replace the fog lamp bulbs. We do them all the time. I did have to watch Lamont's video a couple times to understand how he was accessing them but once you know how, they are not that hard. Especially if done while doing the head lamps as the required body panels will already be off.

Any chance you could post that thread
The only ones I've found show headlights on all Spyder's RT's or the access for the Fog lights on the pre 2014 998 Spyders RT's
There has to be a way to access them it's just knowing the best way

jcthorne
08-21-2017, 07:20 AM
Check out the videos at LamonsterGarage.com

eddieshep999
08-21-2017, 09:56 AM
Check out the videos at LamonsterGarage.com

Thanks JC
Still no joy on his videos looked under Spyder videos and lighting
only information given is as follows:-

Lamonster RT Ultra Bright LED Fog Lights
"Price Includes Shipping"
This is a direct replacement LED for the RT OEM fog lights. Fits all RT Models 2010 - Present.
Just like all of our products we have tried and tested our selves before putting the Lamonster Name on them.

The LED's are "Plug and Play"

Low wattage and power saving.

Instant-on, Instant-off.

Less than 25% amp draw compared to incandescent.

Lumens- 800
Color- 6500K

On the 2014 on you can change them out without tools and without removing any body panels on the right side, the left side is a little more work.
No link to any video
But thanks for trying JC

UtahPete
08-21-2017, 10:21 AM
Thanks JC Still no joy on his videos looked under Spyder videos and lighting only information given is as follows:-

I went through this install (fog lights from TricLED) a few months ago. Both headlights and the right foglight were pretty straightforward but that left side foglight took me several hours, simply because you can't see what is going on and there is very little room in there to get your hands and maneuver the back light cover into place properly. I found no videos on this and Reggie from TricLED offered a lot of encouragement but in the end analysis - it just is a bear to do.

Lamonster does not have a video on this that I found; nor could I find any videos on YouTube, which is not surprising because there is no way to get a camera in there!

UtahPete
08-21-2017, 10:23 AM
I went through this install (fog lights from TricLED) a few months ago. Both headlights and the right foglight were pretty straightforward but that left side foglight took me several hours, simply because you can't see what is going on and there is very little room in there to get your hands and maneuver the back light cover into place properly. I found no videos on this and Reggie from TricLED offered a lot of encouragement but in the end analysis - it just is a bear to do.

Lamonster does not have a video on this that I found; nor could I find any videos on YouTube, which is not surprising because there is no way to get a camera in there!

Bottom line for me; I would not do the fog lights again. I found very little benefit from having LED fog lights. My second RT has the LED headlights but not fog lights and I have no intention of replacing those.

irvin48
08-21-2017, 11:24 AM
when the frunk is off, it will be a dream to do.drew, a tech at robs,
showed us how easy[?] it is to do. now i have to get up the courage to do it.
probably an hr or less to do it.

jcthorne
08-21-2017, 12:40 PM
Guess my memory is getting bad. Swore I watched a vid. Must have been for the F3.

Still, by removing the mirror and the upper body panel, one screw and 3 push pins on the left side of the frunk the trim around the fog light will move aside enough to get to the lamp from above. You do need to disconnect the air intake tube. Its a rubber hose that will compress out of your way once removed from the air box end. I usually have my left hand in from the top, right hand in from the bottom through the wheel well to help guide. Its done by feel but there is plenty of room. Usually takes only a half hour for both fog lights including body fastener removal. This is when already doing the headlights as the side panels are already off to get to the head lamps.

eddieshep999
09-28-2017, 02:37 PM
If the frunk is OFF you can do the FOG lights with your eye's closed ...... I'm not kidding, it's that easy. .... The problem as I stated above is there IS NO CLEARANCE ......not for the light cover or the hands that do the work ........... Mike :thumbup:

I tried to fit mine 2 weeks ago but could not get the LHS cover on
In the end I drilled 2 holes and used zip ties to attach it the best I could although there was still a gap
A friend of mine said he would help me remove the Funk so I purchased a new cover
Today we removed the Funk and it is so much better In fact I hadn't fitted both bulbs fully in ajthough the did work Now they are seated in correctly
Putting the covers back on was easier and seated correctly
Hardest job was getting the air intake back but with some grease and gentle persuasion it was back
I agree with Mike the best sway is with the Funk removed - Thanks for the tip

ARtraveler
09-28-2017, 02:40 PM
LED's are the way to go. Once you get past the install, they burn brighter and should last much longer. :yes::yes:

irvin48
09-28-2017, 04:12 PM
i went back to halogen. went with some philips bulbs. i tried the ebay ones.
shoulda gone with cindys or lamonts maybe. lit up the road signs but wasnt pleased
w/light on the road. even tried adjusting. run it up and down and worked on them.
with the new halogens i have all the light ill ever need , side and front. to each their
own .im leaving mine alone for now. the leds sure do make you visible, though.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-28-2017, 07:37 PM
i went back to halogen. went with some philips bulbs. i tried the ebay ones.
shoulda gone with cindys or lamonts maybe. lit up the road signs but wasnt pleased
w/light on the road. even tried adjusting. run it up and down and worked on them.
with the new halogens i have all the light ill ever need , side and front. to each their
own .im leaving mine alone for now. the leds sure do make you visible, though.
Irv I now have a few sets of them ( halogen's ) that I was going to throw away ....... I save them and give them you if we are in the area ...... just let know ...... Mike :thumbup:

irvin48
09-29-2017, 07:26 AM
thank you but for what little night riding we might do these are great. ive been in the body
shop business since 1991, so i do know a little about h/l alignment. i have a set of used
h/l's and set of new fog lamps too. these are the ones joel talked about. they might
work great foe someone else. maybe im not used to led's on the road.

i do have 2 large led aux lamps on my honda rubicon for snow plowing .they
are awesome!

RudyB
07-20-2018, 11:50 PM
Guess my memory is getting bad. Swore I watched a vid. Must have been for the F3.

Still, by removing the mirror and the upper body panel, one screw and 3 push pins on the left side of the frunk the trim around the fog light will move aside enough to get to the lamp from above. You do need to disconnect the air intake tube. Its a rubber hose that will compress out of your way once removed from the air box end. I usually have my left hand in from the top, right hand in from the bottom through the wheel well to help guide. Its done by feel but there is plenty of room. Usually takes only a half hour for both fog lights including body fastener removal. This is when already doing the headlights as the side panels are already off to get to the head lamps.
What is the stock replacement fog lite for the the 2014rts thanks