PDA

View Full Version : Picking up new F3 Limited general questions

Dennis in Lodi
08-16-2017, 08:06 AM
I took a test ride on the F3 limited and was surprised at how calm the cockpit was. It seemed as calm as my RT. For my aggressive riding style I found the F3 platform does not throw me around in the saddle as much. And now with the huge top box with a passenger back rest I have enough storage that is on par with my RT.
Price out the door before taxes $26,200. 2015 RTs trade in 26,000 miles, good shape, $13,000. Hey, the dealer has to eat as well.

Questions for the forum.
1. Based on many comments on the forum, I want to disable the DESS. How do I correctly ask for that to happen in language they use?
2. During the test ride a side wind caught my open face shield. The stock shield is a couple of inches short for my needs. The dealer says some people shim the angle of the stock shield? Has anyone done this to the stock shield? What is the part number for the next shield option? or my options?
3. Adding Best Warranty $899 for three additional years? I say this with every bike I have bought, I plan to keep it until the wheels fall off. This time I think it's true. I tried to barter this into the deal. Is there a better way to ask for this and is it a good value?
4 The stock seat seemed to a great fit for me and I didn't miss the backrest. It would be a $404 up charge for the OEM back rest. I do see some cheaper options on E-bay. Should I give it a try OR decide down the road?

The dealer is offering me a 10% discount on accessories. I'm not sure if this is really a good deal?
Thanks
Dennis

Tazzel
08-16-2017, 09:01 AM
The price on the F3 LT seems a bit high for this time of year. My dealer gives my 20% on all Spyder Accessories and the Best warranty I think you could get a tad cheaper as well. You can take your time shopping around for the warranty and should cost somewhere around 750.00 to 850.00. One of my local dealers is offering his F3T's at 24,799. So I think there is room to negotiate on all points.

https://fremontmotorsports.com/Motorcycles-Can-Am-Spyder-F3-Limited-2017-Florence-CO-90051122-ace5-4794-8167-a754011cb213

Pirate looks at --
08-16-2017, 09:56 AM
I took a test ride on the F3 limited and was surprised at how calm the cockpit was. It seemed as calm as my RT. For my aggressive riding style I found the F3 platform does not throw me around in the saddle as much. And now with the huge top box with a passenger back rest I have enough storage that is on par with my RT.
Price out the door before taxes $26,200. 2015 (tel:200. 2015) RTs trade in 26,000 miles, good shape, $13,000. Hey, the dealer has to eat as well.

Questions for the forum.
1. Based on many comments on the forum, I want to disable the DESS. How do I correctly ask for that to happen in language they use?
2. During the test ride a side wind caught my open face shield. The stock shield is a couple of inches short for my needs. The dealer says some people shim the angle of the stock shield? Has anyone done this to the stock shield? What is the part number for the next shield option? or my options?
3. Adding Best Warranty $899 for three additional years? I say this with every bike I have bought, I plan to keep it until the wheels fall off. This time I think it's true. I tried to barter this into the deal. Is there a better way to ask for this and is it a good value?
4 The stock seat seemed to a great fit for me and I didn't miss the backrest. It would be a $404 up charge for the OEM back rest. I do see some cheaper options on E-bay. Should I give it a try OR decide down the road?

The dealer is offering me a 10% discount on accessories. I'm not sure if this is really a good deal?
Thanks
Dennis
You may want to see if the dealer can find a 2016 F3 L as it has a larger sprocket and has even better performance. You can add the top box and still have the storage and much better performance than the 2017, and maybe save some money!

Dustoff
08-16-2017, 10:58 AM
I have a 2017 F3 limited and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the performance. It is every bit as fast as my 2015 Rt Limited. As a matter of fact the steering is a lot more responsive. This notion the the F3 limited with the top box has less performance or handling is just not true. The top box does not effect the handling one bit.

Tazzel
08-16-2017, 11:16 AM
I have a 2017 F3 limited and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the performance. It is every bit as fast as my

2015 Rt Limited. As a matter of fact the steering is a lot more responsive. This notion the the F3 limited with the top box has less performance or handling is just not true. The top box does not effect the handling one bit.

I just upgraded from a 2015 F3S to a 2017 F3T the transmission is different but the performance is still there just slightly different. I would say the F3T is a little more refined then the F3S. I am not an expert in mechanical lingo so that's the best I can do.

MKrone
08-16-2017, 11:24 AM
I believe what Pirate was referencing is that there are apparently small changes to the rear sprocket and gearing in the 2017 F3 models that make the performance similar to the RT. The 2016 has a larger rear sprocket and gearing changes if I understand correctly. This equates to a more robust response when you twist the throttle on the 2016's. While an F3 in any guise will provide a different riding and handling experience over an RT due to center of gravity based on lower seat height, I don't think the top box mounted on an F3 will change much with regard to comparison to F3T / F3S, etc.

I moved to a 2016 F3L from a 2016 RTSS, for me the performance and handling are remarkably improved on the F3.

Chupaca
08-16-2017, 11:25 AM
As you state you are picking it up with a trade in so you are good with the price. There may be better deals but not important at this point. Windshiels are out there so are deflectors (see our home page) As to the warranty, you have two years to decide but hear tell Pitt Bull and Burt's Mega Mall have the best deals. (Also on the home page) not sure if the aftermarket guys have great selection on back rests but if you are good for now they will for sure...:thumbup:

Pirate looks at --
08-16-2017, 12:25 PM
I have a 2017 F3 limited and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the performance. It is every bit as fast as my 2015 Rt Limited. As a matter of fact the steering is a lot more responsive. This notion the the F3 limited with the top box has less performance or handling is just not true. The top box does not effect the handling one bit.
You are comparing it to an RT, which has nowhere near the same performance of the F3,F3S, F3 T, or the previous F3 LTD, I have ridden them all leading test rydes for BRP at dealers all over Northern California, and trust me comparing all of them on the same turns the F3 and F3S ( not in sport mode) handle the best, they are lighter and geared to be more aggressive. The T and 16 L are also very sweet handling machines. By the fact that you are comparing the 17L to an RT proves the point exactly. The RT is a very good touring machine (I own one) but they can't compare in terms of cornering and just flat out speed with the F3s that have that larger rear sprocket. The BRP reps that I work with can't explain why they made this change, but you can bet the lawyers had something to do with it. When you enter the corner at the same speed on my F3 L and on the 17 F3L you find that the Nanny is all over you on the 17, and not on the 16. So if you prefer the handling of the RT, the 17 F3 L is just fine. Test drive the 16 and 17 on the same course and you will get my point.

LateLifeCrisis
08-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Price out the door before taxes $26,200. 2015 RTs trade in 26,000 miles, good shape, $13,000. Hey, the dealer has to eat as well.

Questions for the forum.

Thanks
Dennis

Below is information on the "Ultimate Seat Driver Backrest. Installed it on my 2016 F3L and LOVE IT. Hope this helps.....

ULTIMATE SEATS
UltimateSeats.com
Customer Service: 877-672-0288

Stock Seat Driver Backrest for Spyder F3

Also, See Custom Options Tab on Individual Product Pages
Custom seats, colors, stitching

https://ultimateseats.ca/image/cache/data/spyder-f3-driver-backrest-1-400x300.JPG
The driver backrest quickly and easily slides in and out of the included hardware that easily mounts under your Spyder F3 stock seat. The hardware has a built in spring loaded plunger lock that keeps the driver backrest in place. This Stock Seat Driver Backrest WILL work with Urban Rack and Mono Cowl. Fits F3, F3-S, F3-T and F3 Limited.

Pad measures 7" high by 10" wide by 1.5" thick.
Built using the same memory foam as our seats.
Infinite tilt to match your back angle.
Backrest folds down forward for easily mounting and dismounting your SpyderŪ.
Adjustment forward and back is more than 2 inches.
Adjusts with a thumb screw while you're riding.
No need to remove the seat or use a wrench after bracket is installed.
Includes zipper storage pouch that velcros to the back of the backrest.

Detachable storage pouch measures 9"W x 6"H and is protected by the driver backrest built in rain flap.

Starts at $279.00

Tazzel
08-16-2017, 02:28 PM
I think if you were going flat out on a race track you would be able to tell the difference in performance and agility. However, as far as everyday riding and the twisties, I had to put the BaJa Ron swaybar on my F3S immediately but have not seen the need for it on the 2017 F3T. I think both years and models are great machines and unless you are a mechanical connoisseur, you wont be able to tell the difference.

Trbayth
08-16-2017, 02:46 PM
No one else has answered your DESS question so...

The dealer cannot disable DESS. It requires a different version of BUDS than the dealers have. There are a few people here that made the investment (it's quite expensive to purchase that version) and will do it for forum members if you're in their area.

ARtraveler
08-16-2017, 03:05 PM
:congrats: on your new ride. A bit late to worry about price. The deal is done and if your happy--that's all that counts.

10% off on accessories is good--but free installation is better. I would give things about a thousand miles to see what you may want in windshield, seat, and backrest.

Enjoy your new ride and keep us posted. :yes::yes:

Poseidon
08-16-2017, 06:59 PM
No one else has answered your DESS question so...

The dealer cannot disable DESS. It requires a different version of BUDS than the dealers have. There are a few people here that made the investment (it's quite expensive to purchase that version) and will do it for forum members if you're in their area.

BUDS MegaTech? I'm assuming it would be the same for Spyders as it is for the ATV's. I had a 2013 XMR1000. DESS was the biggest PITA on that machine. It would randomly not read the key and leave you stranded where ever you sat. Most of the time, if you messed with it long enough, it would eventually read the chip in the key. I'm hoping the key in our Spyder is different since the chip isn't actually embedded in the metal of the key. I wanted to disable the DESS on that bike in the worst way, but there was no one I could find back then with the software. IIRC, it was like $2000 or $3000 dollars to buy the license for the software back then. I'm not sure if that price has gone down any since then or not. I figured that much money would buy a LOT of ignition switches. I kept a spare in my save a ride kit and changed more than one out on the trails.

Dennis in Lodi
08-17-2017, 08:52 PM
Thanks to Larry and his suggestion to check for a 2016 F3 Limited, I saved $4,000 but I'm missing a top box. As a bonus, I now have the 89 tooth sprocket which puts me on par with the F3S for performance.
I asked about the DESS delete and was told no can do.

Now I need to see if there is any options besides the $1,300 to my door top box from can-am?

Thanks to all who responded
Dennis

p.s. I was nervous as hell when they said they had to hook up the buds as part of the inspection process. I have the flashed ECU with the higher rev limit, and nothing was said.:p