PDA

View Full Version : What the Heck did I do wrong? Oil Change

scubadown
08-13-2017, 09:54 AM
Changed the oil on my 2103 ST-L SE5 today. Thought I had followed the manual exactly. Replaced both filters. Added 3.2 quarts of oil. Ran it, verified oil pressure light went off, no leaks. Added the rest of the 1 quart container for a total of 4 quarts. Ran it on the stands for another couple of minutes and then checked the oil level. It was way over filled! My book says it takes 4.4 total. I drained out at least 1/2 quart to bring the level slightly below full. Ran it again until hot and the level is right at the full mark.

Where did I screw up?

Boy that synthetic oil is slippery.

Chupaca
08-13-2017, 10:03 AM
When they tell you the capacities they usually refer to an empty unit. (like new and totally dry) When you change your oil you can not get it all out so they recommend you put in a less amount and then top off to the correct mark on the dip stick. If you drain the oil cold you will get less out than if the oil is hot. So your only mistake was just putting the rest of the oil in all at once rather that a bit at a time to get close to full. Your gas tank is a similar situation....:thumbup: I mean the capacity vs what you can get in it....

Warlock
08-13-2017, 01:58 PM
Changed the oil on my 2103 ST-L SE5 today. Thought I had followed the manual exactly. Replaced both filters. Added 3.2 quarts of oil. Ran it, verified oil pressure light went off, no leaks. Added the rest of the 1 quart container for a total of 4 quarts. Ran it on the stands for another couple of minutes and then checked the oil level. It was way over filled! My book says it takes 4.4 total. I drained out at least 1/2 quart to bring the level slightly below full. Ran it again until hot and the level is right at the full mark.

Where did I screw up?

Boy that synthetic oil is slippery.

Need to run it to operating temp and then check the oil level. These are sometimes picky to check the oil.
David

SpyderAnn01
08-13-2017, 02:36 PM
When you were changing the oil did you drain the oil from both places?

scubadown
08-13-2017, 04:21 PM
Yes, from both. The oil tank plug had no magnet, the other did.

tajohn
08-13-2017, 07:04 PM
Yes, from both. The oil tank plug had no magnet, the other did..

All good tips plus make sure the oil dip stick is opened, and with both oil plugs out remove both

Filter covers this will allow the max amount of used oil to drain.

BajaRon
08-14-2017, 01:42 PM
If you drained both the crankcase and reservoir and changed both filters, engine and transmission, it should have taken 4.25 quarts to fill.

4.4 quarts is probably correct but you can't physically remove all the oil from the engine. 4.4 quarts is probably what they have to put into a brand new engine that has never had oil added before.

If what you say is accurate you're running at most 3.7 quarts. Not enough to be at the full mark. Something is a bit off there somewhere.

scubadown
08-15-2017, 06:57 AM
I wonder if it could be that I re-installed the drain plugs before removing the filter covers. Maybe this prevented a quantity of oil from draining out?

BajaRon
08-15-2017, 08:48 AM
I wonder if it could be that I re-installed the drain plugs before removing the filter covers. Maybe this prevented a quantity of oil from draining out?

I don't know about that. But there had to be some oil remaining. I can't think of any other way you could be full with the amount of oil added.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-15-2017, 02:46 PM
I wonder if it could be that I re-installed the drain plugs before removing the filter covers. Maybe this prevented a quantity of oil from draining out? Nope ...It will take a bit longer, but as long you wait until the dripping is finished .... then the OIL is out ..... jmho .... Mike :thumbup:

trikermutha
08-15-2017, 11:40 PM
You changed your oil and refilled on the stands?

Bfromla
08-16-2017, 01:05 AM
When they tell you the capacities they usually refer to an empty unit. (like new and totally dry) When you change your oil you can not get it all out so they recommend you put in a less amount and then top off to the correct mark on the dip stick. If you drain the oil cold you will get less out than if the oil is hot. So your only mistake was just putting the rest of the oil in all at once rather that a bit at a time to get close to full. Your gas tank is a similar situation....:thumbup: I mean the capacity vs what you can get in it....
:agree::2thumbs: Also it takes unknown amount of time for the filters to absorb some. Usually when I do car oil it will hold almost a qt in filter itself. Having two filters may equal amount :dontknow: After prolonged exposure at a running temp to get viscosity flowing. So cant say you did wrong you did quite right by double checking & correcting the level :congrats:, just keep close eye one it & be prepared to add when needed. :thumbup: