PDA

View Full Version : Refused to sell me a tire..........

No 2817
08-11-2017, 05:10 AM
Discount Tire Direct refused to sell me a Yokohama (https://beta.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/yokohama-s-drive/p/43656) S Drive 205 /55 R15. When you check out they ask what vehicle you putting the tires on. I did not think much of this and dutifully entered my 2016 F3-T information. I get an e-mail to call them there is problem with my order I thought "gee they had 12 in stock what could be the problem". I call them and they tell me they can't sell me the tire because it is a car tire and not a motorcycle tire. I said I know that and we are all using them on our Can-Am's. He says rules are rules it's not safe to put a car tire on a motorcycle federal laws blah, blah blah. So if I would have entered a car that takes that size and is rated for that size they would sell it to me!!! My QUESTION IS WHAT MAKE AND YEAR DO I ENTER THEN TO GET THE TIRE. He says he can't tell me and would enter my refund. Thanks have a good day.

WOW! I had this problem at Costco wanting to go a bit wider on my tires. They would not sell them to me. 1984! I can asses the risks on my own and don't need federal nanny's looking after me.

Chris

ofdave
08-11-2017, 05:37 AM
the policy probably is driven by corporate lawyers, as is the case with so many things today
we are a very litigious society and CYA has become important, no company wants a lawsuit so they set policies to avoid them
find a car it fits and put that in the vehicle box on the order form

PapaHotel
08-11-2017, 05:45 AM
You can buy it on Amazon

soaring hawk
08-11-2017, 06:01 AM
Ford ecosport 2013

Deer Slayer
08-11-2017, 06:12 AM
1970 VW Dune Buggy! :roflblack:

NorthAlabamaSpyder
08-11-2017, 06:50 AM
TreadDepot will sell you one also.

Bob Denman
08-11-2017, 06:51 AM
You NEVER mention Spyders, when buying car tires... nojoke

Easy Rider
08-11-2017, 07:05 AM
Well it really ISN'T safe to put most car tires on a 2-wheel motorcycle.......so you need a "work around" like a couple of people have suggested above.
Explaining that it has 3 wheels and not 2 might help......but probably not.
Take your business elsewhere.

I had a hell of a time buying tires when I had a Caddy STS. Because it was theoretically capable of 140 MPH, everybody wanted to sell me Z rated tires.

Bob Denman
08-11-2017, 07:08 AM
We're not talking about "Dark-Siding" a leaner...
And the people in these shops aren't smart enough to know the differences. It's best to just NOT let the conversation get started.

NorthAlabamaSpyder
08-11-2017, 07:18 AM
Bob is right, don't elaborate on what it is going on. I can't tell you how many times I went in with a Goldwing rim to have a car tire put on. I always had the "trailer wheel" story ready. Same story over the phone.

thehawk
08-11-2017, 07:57 AM
Interesting! My local store not only sells them to me, they order them and mount them for me… Of course I take in the rims to save the labor. They cannot however, balance the rear one. It doesn't fit on their machine.

thehawk

Bob Denman
08-11-2017, 08:21 AM
It's up to the Shop...
Discount Tire must have some nervous Lawyers on their payroll. :dontknow:

BoilerAnimal
08-11-2017, 08:34 AM
Interesting! My local store not only sells them to me, they order them and mount them for me… Of course I take in the rims to save the labor. They cannot however, balance the rear one. It doesn't fit on their machine.

thehawk

Pretty much the same for me. I had to take my rear wheel to a motorcycle shop to get it spin balanced.

UtahPete
08-11-2017, 08:57 AM
Discount Tire Direct refused to sell me a Yokohama (https://beta.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/yokohama-s-drive/p/43656) S Drive 205 /55 R15. When you check out they ask what vehicle you putting the tires on. I did not think much of this and dutifully entered my 2016 F3-T information. I get an e-mail to call them there is problem with my order I thought "gee they had 12 in stock what could be the problem". I call them and they tell me they can't sell me the tire because it is a car tire and not a motorcycle tire. I said I know that and we are all using them on our Can-Am's. He says rules are rules it's not safe to put a car tire on a motorcycle federal laws blah, blah blah. So if I would have entered a car that takes that size and is rated for that size they would sell it to me!!! My QUESTION IS WHAT MAKE AND YEAR DO I ENTER THEN TO GET THE TIRE. WOW! I had this problem at Costco wanting to go a bit wider on my tires. They would not sell them to me. 1984! I can asses the risks on my own and don't need federal nanny's looking after me.

What planet have you been living on until now? If a company doesn't want to sell you a tire because of liability issues, that is their right. Should the feds be telling them your freedoms trump their right to protect themselves from potential lawsuits?

AY4B
08-11-2017, 09:10 AM
I had the exact same thing happen to me when I wanted to buy a Yokohama S Drive at Discount tire. Its better to buy online but then you need to find someone that can do the install or in your cast just mount the tire. Some dealers will and some will not.

rtotten
08-11-2017, 09:13 AM
I went into a Discount Store....asked if they had a tire. They said yes. Bought it. They ask what it was going on. Told them I prefer not to tell them, still got the tire.

BajaRon
08-11-2017, 09:14 AM
Do you remember this TV program intro?. 'The Outer Limits' controlled 1 hour. The US government controls the other 23....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CtjhWhw2I8

jaherbst
08-11-2017, 09:15 AM
Bob is right, don't elaborate on what it is going on. I can't tell you how many times I went in with a Goldwing rim to have a car tire put on. I always had the "trailer wheel" story ready. Same story over the phone.

You ran car tires on your Goldwing? Tell us about it. I think this is a first!

Jack

BoilerAnimal
08-11-2017, 09:16 AM

Jack

Bet it was a trike!

wmh9680
08-11-2017, 09:22 AM
This is great info. It should be on the newbies list post (hopefully it wasn't and I just don't remember). Everyone will have this problem sooner or later. Thanks, Mike

Bob Denman
08-11-2017, 09:23 AM
Lots of folks have "Dark-Sided" their GoldWings and Valkyries: without having added a third wheel! nojoke

NorthAlabamaSpyder
08-11-2017, 09:25 AM

Jack

Bet it was a trike!

I have over 100,000 miles on Car Tires. A lot easier to get use to than going from a Goldwing to a Spyder for me. Very stable in rain and cornering. Plus you can get a run flat. I have never ridden a tricked motorcycle. It is actually pretty common in the Goldwing world. Some folks think you will catch on fire running a car tire. LOL

asp125
08-11-2017, 09:27 AM
Here is a partial list of cars that use 15" tires. https://www.wheel-size.com/tire/205/65R15/

heyharris1
08-11-2017, 09:48 AM
Hello,

So for new tires then do you take the rim off yourself and take it in or bring the whole bike in. I figure when you pull in with a spyder wont they see it and not put it on anyways?

Jim

Boilermaker
08-11-2017, 09:53 AM
What planet have you been living on until now? If a company doesn't want to sell you a tire because of liability issues, that is their right. Should the feds be telling them your freedoms trump their right to protect themselves from potential lawsuits?

You said "Should the feds be telling them your freedoms trump their rights to protect themselves" :roflblack:

Please tell me that was on purpose!

Bob Denman
08-11-2017, 09:55 AM
I take my bike to a shop that specializes in tires for Spyders: Netzley Tire Service! :thumbup:
That way I never have any problems!

Chupaca
08-11-2017, 09:57 AM
It all started with Kumho tires back when folks found the right size. Guess it has spread to the others now that there are more brands and sizes being used on the spyders. Shop installs are a hit and miss still and the all around best way is to take your own wheel in and have it installed at a tire shop....:thumbup:

pegasus1300
08-11-2017, 10:26 AM

Jack
Not Hardly. There are hundreds of Goldwings if not thousands running car tires on the rear and have been for years and thousands of miles with no reported incidents.

Ex-Rocket
08-11-2017, 10:32 AM

Jack

A lot of Goldwingers run car tires on the rear. I had a Triumph Rocket and I ran a car tire for 25,000 miles, and yes it cornered just fine in the curves. What gets my crow is people saying a car tire is dangerous to put on a motorcycle, when they never tried a car tire in the first place. Also a lot of ney sayers.:banghead::banghead::banghead: I agree car tires are not for everyone, but don't put it down unless you have tried it.

pegasus1300
08-11-2017, 10:34 AM
I take my bike to a shop that specializes in tires for Spyders: Netzley Tire Service! :thumbup:
That way I never have any problems!

When it came time to put a new rear tire on my Spyder, I took the wheel off and took it to my local tire shop. He said no problem but I can't balance it. I asked him if he new what balance beads were,he said oh yeah that will work. He asked what I wanted on it, I mentioned a couple of tires from here ,he said he couldn't get those thru his warehouses. I asked him what was the best he could get and that's what we mounted. Twenty thousand miles later it is still going strong,probably good for another 20+K

Ex-Rocket
08-11-2017, 10:39 AM
When it came time to put a new rear tire on my Spyder, I took the wheel off and took it to my local tire shop. He said no problem but I can't balance it. I asked him if he new what balance beads were,he said oh yeah that will work. He asked what I wanted on it, I mentioned a couple of tires from here ,he said he couldn't get those thru his warehouses. I asked him what was the best he could get and that's what we mounted. Twenty thousand miles later it is still going strong,probably good for another 20+K

Thank goodness I have Spyderpops close by that when it came time to change the rear tire, took it to Harvey.

Bob Denman
08-11-2017, 10:39 AM
:clap: :congrats: :2thumbs:

Machinegunner
08-11-2017, 10:43 AM
In Wisconsin, I go to Schierl Tire to get my General Alitimax, no questios asked. I take it to my Spyder dealer to have it installed and balanced, no questions asked, either.

jwulf74
08-11-2017, 10:46 AM
Order = tire swing for the kids... ;)

Bob Denman
08-11-2017, 11:24 AM
Order = tire swing for the kids... ;)

:clap: I LIKE that! :thumbup:
You must have some great kids; if you buy them a new tire! :bowdown: :congrats:

ARtraveler
08-11-2017, 01:14 PM
The solution is to "fib" a little about what the tire is going to be put on. Usually, the car tire fib works.

I am not mechanical, so have to use the dealer--who will only install OEM (as in Kenda). The up side, I get reasonable mileage out of them (20K fronts and 15K rear). So, I guess I am okay.

The argument about side wall not stiff enough--IMO--only applies to leaners--which the :ani29: isn't.

3whlLefty
08-11-2017, 02:32 PM
Discount mounted car tires on my Spyder twice at 2 different stores. The latter one couldn't balance them because their spindle was too large. Hmmm.

I've also had a Discount store refuse to mount car tires on a trailer. I went down the road to the next D-T outlet and they were happy to do it. I put radial car tires in place of those bias-ply trailer ones and improved things considerably.

Keep looking!

manxman
08-11-2017, 05:04 PM

Jack

I ran a run-flat car tire on my wing for over ten K. Pulling a trailer. No noticeable wear but going into corners was tricky at first.
This was on my 2001 GW around 2006. ........

michrick
08-11-2017, 05:12 PM
I bought my Yokohama S Drive at Tire Rack no questions asked, and Filers Powersports in Macedon mounted it no questions asked,

asp125
08-11-2017, 05:54 PM
I have no problems ordering tires that fit, problem comes with trying to get it mounted. None of my local bike shops will touch it, and the Spyder dealers won't even talk to you about it. I can see taking the front wheels off and having a small fly by night tire place mount it, with reservations about their ability to balance it and to not scratch the rim. BTW a "big" Can Am dealer in Rapid City scratched my rim a couple of years ago. :banghead:

Maddoggie501
08-11-2017, 06:18 PM

Jack

Being an ex Goldwing owner, I can tell you some riders will run a car tire on the rear and swear its better in ride, handling, wear, etc. They call themselves the Dark Siders. I can tell you not to argue with them.

Peteoz
08-11-2017, 06:31 PM
I have no problems ordering tires that fit, problem comes with trying to get it mounted. None of my local bike shops will touch it, and the Spyder dealers won't even talk to you about it. I can see taking the front wheels off and having a small fly by night tire place mount it, with reservations about their ability to balance it and to not scratch the rim. BTW a "big" Can Am dealer in Rapid City scratched my rim a couple of years ago. :banghead:

ASP, the "surefire" way to do it is to buy the tires from your local tire shop (big or small), take the current wheels off and take them in. You'll find that nearly all tire shops will have no qualms about replacing the tires if you bought from them. As far as not scratching the wheels is concerned, that's their job. If they scratch wheels on ANY vehicle, they will soon be out of business. You can then take the wheels to you local bike shop and have them balanced, or just don't balance them and use Lamont's Balancers.

I actually slipped the workshop manager $50 because of how well he handled the changeover, to which his response was......just bring the whole Spyder in next time and we'll jack the front and do the whole thing so you can ride out with clean hands. 😉😉

Pete

Peteoz
08-11-2017, 06:35 PM
Being an ex Goldwing owner, I can tell you some riders will run a car tire on the rear and swear its better in ride, handling, wear, etc. They call themselves the Dark Siders. I can tell you not to argue with them.

Why would you even TRY to argue with them, Maddoggie? After years of looking for accidents caused directly because a rider was on car tires, I'm still looking. Some try them and don't like them because of the way they follow road grooves, or because they "feel funny", but that's about it. ;)

Pete

BajaRon
08-11-2017, 06:55 PM
The solution is to "fib" a little about what the tire is going to be put on. Usually, the car tire fib works.

I am not mechanical, so have to use the dealer--who will only install OEM (as in Kenda). The up side, I get reasonable mileage out of them (20K fronts and 15K rear). So, I guess I am okay.

The argument about side wall not stiff enough--IMO--only applies to leaners--which the :ani29: isn't.

With the Kenda's it's not so much a problem with weak sidewalls (though that is true). It's more a problem with a very weak tread area. The tread cords are not strong enough to hold the tread area of the tire flat. So it balloons out with centrifugal force and wears out in the middle. Also, at speed, you're only getting maybe 3" of tread contact with the road surface. Not great for traction but should help with fuel mileage.

cyclelover63
08-11-2017, 07:08 PM
I put one on a hotrod with aftermarket wheels that I blew a tire on.

Fat Baxter
08-11-2017, 09:37 PM
There's a "tire database in the sky" that contains every vehicle with all the tires certified for it -- that's what trips us up, as "Spyder" is not in that database. I think there's a federal requirement for that database.

IIRC, I ordered my Kumho's from Tirerack.com. When ordering, there was an option (a box to check) that said something like "this tire matches what's already on my car." That's the escape clause. When I got the tires, there was a statement on the receipt to the effect that "owner assumes liability."

If you take the Spyder to a tire dealership, many will balk at working on a Spyder. But if you just take in the wheels, they have no idea what the vehicle is, so they're happy to get the work.

I read somewhere but can't confirm, that the three-hole pattern for the front wheels is the same as for a Smart car.

willey
08-11-2017, 10:31 PM
I ordered my rear tire from Wall Mart.Had it the next day,no questions asked.I ran a car tire on my 900 vulcan.It had 60,000 + miles on it when I sold the bike.I ordered my front tires from the internet and Tire Discounters mounted and balanced them for free.

pitzerwm
08-12-2017, 12:12 AM
Bought the tire from Tire Rack, no questions, friend had a HF tire changer, had to take to Walmart to inflate it, compressor wasn't big enough. Put in Run right or whatever the goop liquid balance stuff is and not problems yet.

Bfromla
08-12-2017, 01:18 AM
Tell them you found that this tire is the best mosquito repellant to have on camp fires.
:2thumbs::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Bensonoid
08-12-2017, 04:49 AM
I bought my Yokohama S Drive at Tire Rack no questions asked,

Me too.

Buckeye Bleau
08-12-2017, 05:35 AM
Hello,

So for new tires then do you take the rim off yourself and take it in or bring the whole bike in. I figure when you pull in with a spyder wont they see it and not put it on anyways?

Jim

My dealer, to remain nameless, with mount tires that I bring in but there is a $20 up charge.

Joe

IGETAROUND
08-12-2017, 06:03 AM
Hello,

Jim

Well, most of us take the rims and new tires we've ordered on line and had delivered to our homes. Another work around when ordering the tires is to tell them it's replacement for a Morgan Kit Car; has consistently worked for me for two fronts and four rear tires @ Discount on line and with the shops when I take them in to have them mounted.

Balancing is HIGHLY overrated... haven't balanced any of these tires and still have a nice smooth ride.

Kind of difficult to "hide" a Spyder on jack stands in the parking lot while you get new tires mounted...just saying!!!

Al in Kazoo

youngers
08-12-2017, 07:20 AM
had a bounce in the front end , at 40 too 43 m.p.h. smooth up too , and after the 40 +43 mile range , but bounce like a tennis ball at that spot , took the front tires too the mentioned dealer , they said if the rims fit the machine no problem , took about 30 minutes too work them in , one tire was right on with wheel weights , the other had been missing 2 { not sure what weight } they balanced them for free . rides like a champ , charm , spyder ... :p

Peteoz
08-12-2017, 03:22 PM
Well there you go, no 2817.........what a mine of information on this thread on how to source and get aftermarket tyres on your Spyder. If you can't find a solution here, you aren't trying;)

Definitely the most helpful bunch of owners that I have ever found. :thumbup:

Pete

No 2817
08-14-2017, 05:28 AM
You can buy it on Amazon

That's what I did $11.00 more $118.00 shipped no hassles. Thanks for all the help. I just didn't know what to enter for the "car going on questions", no other options like Tire Rack has.

Chris

No 2817
08-14-2017, 05:33 AM
Lots of folks have "Dark-Sided" their GoldWings and Valkyries: without having added a third wheel! nojoke

My 2003 Valkyrie rides on the Darkside!! Two wheels by the way.

Chris

No 2817
08-14-2017, 05:52 AM
2817 was my serial number on the Premier Edition 2008 GS that I owned. That 990 engine was fast and 9500 rpm Red Line was the best part of it.

(was disappointed that the 2016 F3-T was only 7500, maybe the ECU remap will help)

Chris

Maddoggie501
08-14-2017, 08:17 PM
Why would you even TRY to argue with them, Maddoggie? After years of looking for accidents caused directly because a rider was on car tires, I'm still looking. Some try them and don't like them because of the way they follow road grooves, or because they "feel funny", but that's about it. ;)

Pete

Let me clarify my post. I didn't argue with anyone over their choice of tires. I was saying, based on some forum arguments I read, The Dark Siders are very sensitive about any negative reference to their tires. I could care less what tire someone chooses to use. I personally choose a tire for high speed, sticking like glue and excellent handling characteristics. I could care less about wear. Having ridden a BMW sport bike and changing expensive tires at 15 hundred miles, (1500) was the norm. Having a Goldwing and getting over 6000 miles was a bonus. I'll see what I get out of my stock Kendas and then will decide what replacements to use. If I can get a season of riding out of my tires, 6000 plus miles, I'm happy. Sorry I even brought up the Dark Siders.

wd8ajj
08-14-2017, 08:24 PM
BigO Tire had no issues mounting my tires. And the local even stated they would order them for me. They will not replace the rear tire. Too complex. They mounted my tires X2 and balanced then for 10.00 each.

WA5VHU
08-15-2017, 02:27 AM
I took the front rims with the supplied POS tires down to Pep Boys for new car tires. The service writer gave a somewhat funny look at the rims and asked "what do they go on"? I told him "a 1967 MGB replica kit". He rolled his eyes and shrugged his shoulders then put something in his computer and said "they should be ready in a few minutes".

I haven't had to change the rear POS tire yet.

papanorm
08-15-2017, 04:48 AM

thehawk
I live in Round Rock as well and I'm curious where you bring your tires? Thanks!:2thumbs::2thumbs:

WilderThomas
08-15-2017, 09:44 AM
Do you remember this TV program intro?. 'The Outer Limits' controlled 1 hour. The US government controls the other 23....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CtjhWhw2I8

I remember, but my stepson calls me a dinosaur anyway. I'd like to ask, how one obtains the map, with the places visited for their posts?

UtahPete
08-31-2017, 01:15 PM
With the Kenda's it's not so much a problem with weak sidewalls (though that is true). It's more a problem with a very weak tread area. The tread cords are not strong enough to hold the tread area of the tire flat. So it balloons out with centrifugal force and wears out in the middle. Also, at speed, you're only getting maybe 3" of tread contact with the road surface. Not great for traction but should help with fuel mileage.

That would explain why I'm getting fantastic gas mileage on my 2014RT, but starting to noticeably wear the center tread of the rear tire at only 8k. I'll lower the pressure and see how it does for the rest of its life.

jcthorne
08-31-2017, 01:36 PM
Not Hardly. There are hundreds of Goldwings if not thousands running car tires on the rear and have been for years and thousands of miles with no reported incidents.

Lots of reported incidents. Flat profile car tires on a leaning bike are a recipe for very poor cornering ability and a bike that will get all kinds of squirrely when the tire rides up on its edge. We have had 2 such incidents in our riding club alone causing not insignificant incidents.

Bob Denman
08-31-2017, 01:40 PM
I've always wondered just how well an automotive tire will seat on a "True" motorcycle tire?
After all: the differences in the rims are pretty obvious! nojoke

jcthorne
08-31-2017, 01:44 PM
I've always wondered just how well an automotive tire will seat on a "True" motorcycle tire?
After all: the differences in the rims are pretty obvious! nojoke

They can be installed and will hold air. The bead does not seat well at all.

classicvw
08-31-2017, 02:49 PM
Late to this discussion I know. But back about 3 or 4 years I was interested in getting whitewall M/C tires for my BMW bagger. I knew Dunlop made them and there was a joint Harley/BMW motorcycle dealer near me so I inquired there. Now, the H-D baggers and my BMW were the same weight and had the same specs for tires. There was a WW listed for the front of my bike, but not for the rear.

The parts manager at the dealership looked it up in a thick tire bible he had on the counter and shook his head and said he would neither install the tire on the rear nor would he sell one to me to have installed somewhere else. Even though the bikes were equals, and the tire specs were the same, those Dunlops were listed in his tire book as OK for Harley and no mention of a BMW rear application.

So I guess they're not allowed to use deductive reasoning, if it's not listed in their book as a suitable tire for that model bike, they say no go.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-31-2017, 03:07 PM
That would explain why I'm getting fantastic gas mileage on my 2014RT, but starting to noticeably wear the center tread of the rear tire at only 8k. I'll lower the pressure and see how it does for the rest of its life.
Pete sorry but I haven't memorized what tires you now have .... nor pretty much anyone else's :dontknow: .... I believe you have the Kenda rear tire but that is a guess ...and I hate guessing :banghead: .... However if it is ...NOTHING will correct the poor construction .... folks here have tried every psi possible with the same result ...It just wears in the center first ...... The only possible way to lessen this , is to never drive more than 30 mph ( maybe that's even to high :yikes: ) ..... Please EVERYONE be specific about what you are discussing , it will save a lot of time and wrong answers .....jmho ... Mike :thumbup:

Peteoz
08-31-2017, 05:20 PM
Let me clarify my post. I didn't argue with anyone over their choice of tires. I was saying, based on some forum arguments I read, The Dark Siders are very sensitive about any negative reference to their tires. I could care less what tire someone chooses to use. I personally choose a tire for high speed, sticking like glue and excellent handling characteristics. I could care less about wear. Having ridden a BMW sport bike and changing expensive tires at 15 hundred miles, (1500) was the norm. Having a Goldwing and getting over 6000 miles was a bonus. I'll see what I get out of my stock Kendas and then will decide what replacements to use. If I can get a season of riding out of my tires, 6000 plus miles, I'm happy. Sorry I even brought up the Dark Siders.

Maddoggie......my apologies....it was not the intention of my post to intimate that you, personally, had argued with anyone. It was just a response to your generalisation that "you" ( being "anyone") shouldn't argue with them as they are very passionate about their car tyres ;). I agree completely, and was trying to convey that most of the arguments used against darksiding are unproven, so arguing with them was of little use. It's so hard to convey facial expressions in the written language;):thumbup:

Pete

Joerolwing
08-31-2017, 05:34 PM
Hello,

Jim
yes, you have to take it off yourself in most cases. It is straightforward enough, but not easy. You also need a 36mm wrench and socket, a torque wrench capable of 150 pounds, and a 15 mm socket with a long power handle. I just did my first, and after a 3,324 3week trip on a car tire, would definitely do it again. With the OE Kenda, it was a struggle to keep the Spyder from wanting to make tighter turns than was necessary. The Michelin I installed tracks the corner exactly as needed.

Bob Denman
08-31-2017, 05:52 PM
They can be installed and will hold air. The bead does not seat well at all.
Would YOU ride a "Dark-sided" Touring bike? :shocked:

Poseidon
08-31-2017, 06:39 PM
This is all you need...

https://cdn3.volusion.com/j7rpz.jwjn6/v/vspfiles/photos/TC-CLASSIC-2.jpg?1479195486

Or this...

http://jrauser.smugmug.com/Motorcycles/For-Sale/i-n6rp3Vs/0/L/dscn0868-L.jpg

and some of these...

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/0904_4wd_07_z+2001_toyota_tacoma_prerunner+dyna_be ads.jpg

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-31-2017, 08:05 PM
(was disappointed that the 2016 F3-T was only 7500, maybe the ECU remap will help)
The 1330 is designed to turn slower than the 990. That's why the redline difference.

Bob Denman
09-01-2017, 06:44 AM
:agree: Why spin them any faster than you need to? :dontknow:

Easy Rider
09-01-2017, 07:29 AM
The 1330 is designed to turn slower than the 990. That's why the redline difference.

Kind of but not really.

The additional rotating mass of three cylinders is probably the determining factor in the lower max. RPM limit.

The additional HP/torque allows higher gearing and lower engine speeds at a given speed.....but the engine itself is not "designed to turn slower".

Bob Denman
09-01-2017, 07:44 AM
Sure it is! They wanted more torque right out of the hole, so they tuned for that: NOT for high end horsepower! :thumbup:

UtahPete
09-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Pete sorry but I haven't memorized what tires you now have .... nor pretty much anyone else's .... I believe you have the Kenda rear tire but that is a guess ...and I hate guessing .... However if it is ...NOTHING will correct the poor construction .... folks here have tried every psi possible with the same result ...It just wears in the center first ...... The only possible way to lessen this , is to never drive more than 30 mph ( maybe that's even to high ) ..... Please EVERYONE be specific about what you are discussing , it will save a lot of time and wrong answers .....jmho ... Mike

Sorry, you're right I should have been more specific. I'm at about 8k on the original Kenda rear tire and showing noticeable wear in the center. I'm thinking that is because the tire pressure is too high at 28# riding one-up so I'm lowering it to 25# and see if that makes a difference in the remaining life of the tire.

pegasus1300
09-01-2017, 09:44 AM
Would YOU ride a "Dark-sided" Touring bike? :shocked:

Yes and have after 100 miles there was no difference in how it felt. If my 2008 RSV had been dark sided it wouldn't have gone down.

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-01-2017, 10:17 AM
I'm thinking that is because the tire pressure is too high at 28# riding one-up so I'm lowering it to 25# and see if that makes a difference in the remaining life of the tire.
It won't.

Bob Denman
09-01-2017, 10:39 AM
It won't.
I'm about 99.4% sure that I agree... :D
Here's why:
Over-inflation of tires is usually manifested by increased wear in the center section of the tread.
(What you're currently seeing.)
Under-inflation usually ends up wearing out the outer portions of the tread first...
Usually!
Since the Kendas are so flimsy; they actually "balloon" at higher speeds if they're under-inflated.

Result: the center section of the tread was doomed from the start! :banghead:

Having said this...
There might be a pressure setting that will work perfectly.
But if anyone has found it: they're keeping the good news to themselves! :roflblack:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-01-2017, 11:48 AM
I'm about 99.4% sure that I agree... :D
Here's why:
Over-inflation of tires is usually manifested by increased wear in the center section of the tread.
(What you're currently seeing.)
Under-inflation usually ends up wearing out the outer portions of the tread first...
Usually!
Since the Kendas are so flimsy; they actually "balloon" at higher speeds if they're under-inflated.

Result: the center section of the tread was doomed from the start! :banghead:

Having said this...
There might be a pressure setting that will work perfectly.
But if anyone has found it: they're keeping the good news to themselves! :roflblack:
Bob I stated this fact earlier but most people don't read all the posts :banghead: .... The Kenda has such FLIMSY construction ....There isn't ANY PSI that can change what happens ie. center tire wear ......However if you ride on the slow side , on great roads, at some ideal Temp ... the mileage may be slightly above CRAPPY :yikes: :roflblack: :roflblack: :roflblack: ..... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
09-01-2017, 12:13 PM
:opps: I only look at the pictures... :D

BoilerAnimal
09-01-2017, 02:24 PM
Kind of but not really.

The additional rotating mass of three cylinders is probably the determining factor in the lower max. RPM limit.

The additional HP/torque allows higher gearing and lower engine speeds at a given speed.....but the engine itself is not "designed to turn slower".

Usually, one of the determining factors for the rpm's of an engine is the length of the stroke. The longer the stroke, the lower the rpm's. The 1330 has a longer stroke than the 998.

easysuper
09-01-2017, 04:31 PM
The Kumos are getting harder to find as I've heard they are discontinued in that particular size? I have had luck just calling my local Discount tire stores here in Portland and they have always come up with one in a day or two. This time they had trouble finding one so I went to a Michelin, but was greatly disappointed when I called our favorite dealer who has always mounted our after market tires on the spyders and was told they could no longer mount a tire they did not sell, because of a lawsuit. I did get another Can AM dealer to mount the tire . But am wondering when they will no longer accommodate us due to the same thing.

Easy Rider
09-01-2017, 04:56 PM
Usually, one of the determining factors for the rpm's of an engine is the length of the stroke. The longer the stroke, the lower the rpm's. The 1330 has a longer stroke than the 998.

That too.
I didn't know for sure.......and didn't want to guess.

Nobody purposely designs an engine to have a lower red-line; that just results when all of the other design parameters are met.

Dennis in Lodi
09-01-2017, 05:03 PM
I told them it was for a custom trailer which I'm trying to match an existing tire

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-01-2017, 05:36 PM
Nobody purposely designs and engine to have a lower red-line; that just results when all of the other design parameters are met.
NASCAR and Formula One engine designers do. http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine_technology/comparison_of_cup_to_f1.htm

At the end of the 2006 competition season, both NASCAR Cup and FIA Formula One engines had reached pinnacles of crankshaft speed for their respective classes of motorsport: 10,000 and 20,000 RPM respectively. Although operating at these RPM levels has since been outmoded by regulation (NASCAR’s ever more stringent use of its ‘gear rule’ and the FIA’s 19,000 RPM rev limit introduced in 2007, reduced to 18,000 RPM for 2009), it seemed interesting to compare these very different engines to see what, if any, areas of commonality might exist.

Wildrice
09-01-2017, 05:56 PM
https://youtu.be/QwSSXHanpv0

I know $ cost is important--but what's the price of your life ?? Or more likely--the $ cost of an ER visit.

Nothing quite like having the rear end pass you on a rain slicked road--the Nanny won't be able to handle it once the body mass is in motion.

Peter Aawen
09-01-2017, 06:37 PM
https://youtu.be/QwSSXHanpv0

I know $ cost is important--but what's the price of your life ??

Nothing quite like having the rear end pass you on a rain slicked road--the Nanny won't be able to handle it once in motion.

Please bear in mind that the tire shown in that vid was running at 40 psi - a pressure which is WAAAYYY TOO HIGH for the load it is carrying, and I believe that pressure is also either very close to or possibly even HIGHER than the maximum safe pressure recommended by the manufacturer!! That sized/type of tire generally has a Max Pressure somewhere in the low 30's AT THE MOST - and that's meant to be used ONLY if the tire is supporting a couple of metric tonnes of load!! :shocked:

The same tire run at a more suitable pressure for the load (probably high teens/low 20's of psi) it was carrying, it would've shown a markedly different result!! I haven't specifically seen 'that' tire run like that, but I have seen many other tires run in such a manner, all of them showing far more tread contact with the road when run at lower pressures. However, while running a Car tire of similar construction on a leaning motorcycle does have some risks & limitations, they can be minimised (altho not removed entirely) by running at an appropriate pressure for the load. Using the 4psi 'rule' to guide your pressure selection can help!

All that said, the leaning & cornering forces shown acting on the tire in that vid simply do NOT occur under our Spyders, so that vid really has very little relationship to the tire stresses those of us running car tires under our Spyders may be imposing on our tires.... and by running car tires under our Spyders at an appropriate pressure for the load imposed upon them, I personally am pretty convinced that we'll actually be taking FAR MORE care for our lives than if we continue to run the regularly demonstrated to be crap Kenda tires that are currently foisted upon us by the manufacturers!! :shocked:

Easy Rider
09-01-2017, 06:42 PM
NASCAR and Formula One engine designers do.

Only because they are FORCED to.

And an adjustable "rev limiter" is not a design feature of the engine.

Neither is a "restrictor plate" that is added later.

Ben Burped
09-01-2017, 07:15 PM
Are there any high end tires that would fit my 2010 RT ? I really don't care about the price as long as the tires stick well and a longer life than the stock POS that I currently have. What vehicle would I have to say that the tires were going on ?

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-01-2017, 07:29 PM
The Kumos are getting harder to find as I've heard they are discontinued in that particular size? I have had luck just calling my local Discount tire stores here in Portland and they have always come up with one in a day or two. This time they had trouble finding one so I went to a Michelin, but was greatly disappointed when I called our favorite dealer who has always mounted our after market tires on the spyders and was told they could no longer mount a tire they did not sell, because of a lawsuit. I did get another Can AM dealer to mount the tire . But am wondering when they will no longer accommodate us due to the same thing.
Get an Altimax ( the "T" rated one ) it's a lot better tire than the Kumho .......Mike :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-01-2017, 07:31 PM
Are there any high end tires that would fit my 2010 RT ? I really don't care about the price as long as the tires stick well and a longer life than the stock POS that I currently have. What vehicle would I have to say that the tires were going on ? Michelin Premier 215/60-15 ........... or just have one custom made to your specs ..... PS if your order your tire ON-line there is No BS from anybody ......jmho .... Mike :thumbup:

UtahPete
09-01-2017, 07:51 PM
I'm about 99.4% sure that I agree... Here's why: Over-inflation of tires is usually manifested by increased wear in the center section of the tread. (What you're currently seeing.) Under-inflation usually ends up wearing out the outer portions of the tread first...Usually! Since the Kendas are so flimsy; they actually "balloon" at higher speeds if they're under-inflated. Result: the center section of the tread was doomed from the start! Having said this...There might be a pressure setting that will work perfectly. But if anyone has found it: they're keeping the good news to themselves!

This video would tend to confirm what several of you have said; it doesn't matter what you do with a Kenda on the rear; the center of the tire will be bald long before the outside treads, rendering it useless.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0VfkJRKHOM

Wildrice
09-02-2017, 07:42 AM
Please bear in mind that the tire shown in that vid was running at 40 psi - a pressure which is WAAAYYY TOO HIGH for the load it is carrying, and I believe that pressure is also either very close to or possibly even HIGHER than the maximum safe pressure recommended by the manufacturer!! That sized/type of tire generally has a Max Pressure somewhere in the low 30's AT THE MOST - and that's meant to be used ONLY if the tire is supporting a couple of metric tonnes of load!! :shocked:

I disagree with your assumption based on several of the sport bikes I have owned which have weighed from 430 lb Yamaha FZ1 to qty (3) Suzuki Hayabusa's that weighed 530 lbs with a tire pressure rating of 42 psi. Evenly balanced weight distribution 530 lb divide by 2 wheels would be 265 lbs on each of the 42 psi tires without rider.
The Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) &Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Canada_Motor_Vehicle_Safety_Standa rds&action=edit&redlink=1) (CMVSS) control tire construction requirements & their decisions aren't controlled by tire manufacturers. Several tire applications may work well on the Spyder provided the road surface is adequate for those applications but that is not always the case. I've never used my airbag either but it is also designed for less than desirable conditions.
Darrell

Bob Denman
09-02-2017, 07:50 AM
What you put in your "Hawk's" tires for pressure; has little or nothing to do with a Spyder.
You can reach speeds that are almost twice as fast! :bowdown:
You want minimal flexing at those speeds: it builds heat, and destroys tires!

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-02-2017, 08:48 AM
What you put in your "Hawk's" tires for pressure; has little or nothing to do with a Spyder.
:agree::agree::agree: ....... Wildrice , you are comparing a TWO completely different tires .... the Design - Construction - handling perimeters etc. are also completely different ....What a TWO Mtc. needs is opposite what the Spyders need ...... Mike :thumbup:

RykerUSA
09-02-2017, 09:03 AM
I also have significant experience riding on the dark side. Well over fifty thousand miles on it a Honda VTX 1800. Half the cost. Twice the mileage. And like riding on a rail. I once went over 70 miles across Nebraska without touching my handlebars as the rear tire gave so much stability that I could just sit there and lean a little to the left or lean little to the right to make my way down the interstate. I've navigated many twisties on The Darkside including the dragon's tail with no issues whatsoever. I'm a Believer in the dark side.

Wildrice
09-02-2017, 03:42 PM

But I must yield to the experienced majority.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: :clap: On this forum , Youtube, etc, everyone agrees that a correct car tire on the Spyder Rear exceeds the Kenda & motorcycle tires.

Bob & Mike----My 344 rwhp turbo Hayabusa--I sold it last week at the urging of the wife & others. Some say maturity finally set in, I won't mention the fear of shifting gears at 185 mph. Time has slowed my processing the data above 150-175, the patched track bumps, especially side wind gusts, & one 170 mph crash at Maxton NC with a fogged up tight visor. Not everyone got to go home.:yikes:
But being Wrong on the tires bruised my sensitive ego :banghead:. Just send me flowers:roflblack:
Darrell

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-02-2017, 07:58 PM
But I must yield to the experienced majority.:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown: :clap: On this forum , Youtube, etc, everyone agrees that a correct car tire on the Spyder Rear exceeds the Kenda & motorcycle tires.

Bob & Mike----My 344 rwhp turbo Hayabusa--I sold it last week at the urging of the wife & others. Some say maturity finally set in, I won't mention the fear of shifting gears at 185 mph. Time has slowed my processing the data above 150-175, the patched track bumps, especially side wind gusts, & one 170 mph crash at Maxton NC with a fogged up tight visor. Not everyone got to go home.:yikes:
But being Wrong on the tires bruised my sensitive ego :banghead:. Just send me flowers:roflblack:
Darrell D, it's not about right or wrong ...... I spent quite a bit of my life dealing with tires and as they relate to Accidents .... Got some advanced schooling in the subject .... Now I ( and Peter Aawen ) try to educate Spyderlovers with what works and WHY ... To me it's a real safety issue ...... Tires with the best WET traction are the Highest on my preferred list ..... But with Car tires on any Spyder the psi is UBER important ...people here read lots of great info ( usually by manufactures ) but forget the MFG's are talking about their tires on a CAR and it's not even close to being the same ..... sorry if this got longwinded ....Mike :thumbup:

UtahPete
09-02-2017, 08:20 PM
In Wisconsin, I go to Schierl Tire to get my General Alitimax, no questios asked. I take it to my Spyder dealer to have it installed and balanced, no questions asked, either.

Which General Altimax size is recommended for the 2013+ RT?

General AltiMAX RT43 Radial Tire - 195/65R15 91T $64 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/General-AltiMAX-RT43-Radial-Tire/dp/B00E5B2EQ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504400495&sr=8-2&keywords=General+Altimax+RT43+%5BT%5D+Tire

General AltiMAX RT43 Radial Tire - 215/60R15 94T $83 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/General-AltiMAX-RT43-Radial-Tire/dp/B00E5B2JX6/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1504401437&sr=1-9&keywords=General+Altimax+RT43+%5BT%5D+Tire

I know there has been some discussion about the preferred profile but it's kind of hard to follow through the various threads. Thanks.

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-02-2017, 08:31 PM
Which General Altimax size is recommended for the 2013+ RT?

General AltiMAX RT43 Radial Tire - 195/65R15 91T $64 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/General-AltiMAX-RT43-Radial-Tire/dp/B00E5B2EQ8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504400495&sr=8-2&keywords=General+Altimax+RT43+%5BT%5D+Tire

General AltiMAX RT43 Radial Tire - 215/60R15 94T $83 on Amazon https://www.amazon.com/General-AltiMAX-RT43-Radial-Tire/dp/B00E5B2JX6/ref=sr_1_9?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1504401437&sr=1-9&keywords=General+Altimax+RT43+%5BT%5D+Tire

I know there has been some discussion about the preferred profile but it's kind of hard to follow through the various threads. Thanks... Pete it's the 215 ..... and see if it's the " T " speed rated one , because it's better than the H or V rated ones .... I know this may be contrary to normal thinking but it is ..... Mike :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

UtahPete
09-02-2017, 09:17 PM
.. Pete it's the 215 ..... and see if it's the " T " speed rated one , because it's better than the H or V rated ones .... I know this may be contrary to normal thinking but it is ..... Mike :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Mike, I'm assuming the 94T means T-rated ...?

UtahPete
09-02-2017, 10:02 PM
.. Pete it's the 215 ..... and see if it's the " T " speed rated one , because it's better than the H or V rated ones .... I know this may be contrary to normal thinking but it is ..... Mike :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Walmart has a pretty good price on this $71 + tax and free shipping...

Peter Aawen
09-02-2017, 10:11 PM
Mike, I'm assuming the 94T means T-rated ...?

Correct. The '94' is the load rating; the 'T' is the speed rating. :thumbup:

UtahPete
09-02-2017, 10:20 PM
Correct. The '94' is the load rating; the 'T' is the speed rating. :thumbup:

I figured I could count on you, Pete. :bowdown:
Just ordered it from Wal-Mart. We'll see how that goes finding a shop to mount it!

IdahoMtnSpyder
09-02-2017, 10:33 PM
We'll see how that goes finding a shop to mount it!
Local tire shop mounted my General on my rear wheel, and my Continentals on the front wheels. I took the wheels off the Spyder and took them and the tires to the shop. Charged me $10 mounting and $10 balancing for each tire. The rear was balanced with "Liquid Balance", which is a brand tire shops use. No questions asked!

BLUEKNIGHT911
09-03-2017, 09:20 AM
Mike, I'm assuming the 94T means T-rated ...?.... Yep, someone posted that the other day ..... Those ratings are arrived at by testing the tire at those speeds constantly for " X " amount of time....." T" rating is 118 mph ( sustained speed ) ...this is almost DOUBLE the normal constant speed anyone drives their Spyder at ...... and this based on a vehicle in the 4000 lb range ....not an 1150 lb Spyder ...... the weight make a HUGH difference ....lighter is better ..........Mike :thumbup:

Jimshoemaker42
03-27-2019, 07:59 AM
yes a lot of wing riders use car tires.. call it the dark side. Really good on a goldwing when you pulling a trailer. On grass as well a car tire on wing will just walk out where a car tire leaves a wing spinning..
look up dark side
Harley riders have been using car tires - probably from day one.

Jimshoemaker42
03-27-2019, 08:05 AM
comment
i rode a goldwing for years and gee way over 100,000 miles without one issue. a car tire - for me- had better traction in all conditions. PLus pop the clutch at 3500 rpms and the wing would drag the pipes .. was fun and easy to pop a willy with car tires.
jim

azprince
03-27-2019, 12:12 PM
Although there are lots of answers, just say Fiat Spider. I call that a white lie.
I go to a motorsport dealer who sell ATVs, Quads and the like. I have the tire delivered, drive in, and in about 30 minutes and $80, they remove, mount and balance and reinstall the rear wheel. They are a CanAm dealer, and also work on HDs. I gave the service manager a maintenance CD for my model.
I believe they told me they would service my Spyder.

bobbobtar
03-27-2019, 10:36 PM
Here is a partial list of cars that use 15" tires. https://www.wheel-size.com/tire/205/65R15/

The 205/65R15 should not be used too tall. The 205/55R15 is a good replacement for the 225/50R15 OEM tire and a lot more choices.

IdahoMtnSpyder
03-27-2019, 10:55 PM
The 205/65R15 should not be used too tall. The 205/55R15 is a good replacement for the 225/50R15 OEM tire a lot more choices.
I think most of us here who are using CT on the rear went with 215/60R15. Fits nicely and brings the speedo pretty much dead on for speed.

Lew L
03-30-2019, 12:12 PM

Jack

Going to " the darkside" on a GW or a Valkyrie has been around for a long ,long time. I had a 98 Valk ( a wonderful bike BTW) but NEVER thought of putting a car tire on the big girl.

Lew L

canamjhb
03-30-2019, 01:59 PM
Although there are lots of answers, just say Fiat Spider. I call that a white lie.
I go to a motorsport dealer who sell ATVs, Quads and the like. I have the tire delivered, drive in, and in about 30 minutes and $80, they remove, mount and balance and reinstall the rear wheel. They are a CanAm dealer, and also work on HDs. I gave the service manager a maintenance CD for my model.
I believe they told me they would service my Spyder.

Just curious..... Was the dealer Four Seasons Motorsports? I think they are a pretty good dealership and used them when I had a CanAm Commander. I stopped there a couple of years ago to see if they would work on a Spyder. (Even though they did not sell Spyders). The Service Manager told me that "This is the first time I have seen one in person". Hoping they have jumped into servicing Spyders..... We need more competition for service in our area..... Jim