PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 3 wheel scooter/moped

Brentc
08-01-2017, 06:38 AM
My mom, 72 years old, is looking for a small manageable 3 wheeler to use during the summer while at there vacation house. It's a very small town, and there wouldn't be any long distance type trips. Just around town and maybe grocery store now and then. Does anyone have any info worth sharing on any brands or models? Would hopefully like to find something that is serviceable in the us and not a knock off that you could never get parts for.

Thank you in advance for any info.

Bob Denman
08-01-2017, 06:48 AM
Hi Brent!
Would an electric model work, or are you needing a bit more range?

Brentc
08-01-2017, 07:52 AM
Bob, range is not an issue. The max trip would really be 6 miles or so. I'm more looking for dependability, parts availability and serviceability.

Tazzel
08-01-2017, 09:00 AM
Piaggio MP3 is the only 3 wheeled scooter I know about. YOu could find a used Spyder RS for pretty cheap to serve the same purpose.

Brentc
08-01-2017, 09:34 AM
Piaggio MP3 is the only 3 wheeled scooter I know about. YOu could find a used Spyder RS for pretty cheap to serve the same purpose.

Only issue with a Spyder that my Mom sees is the swinging of her leg up and over the seat to get on. With many of the scooters you can slide through to get on.

Thank you for the Piaggio info!

Bob Denman
08-01-2017, 09:41 AM
I don't think that your Mom would find this one to be much use...

But it IS entertaining! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z43muPetNc

PrairieSpyder
08-01-2017, 11:07 AM
You need something like this:

Bandera
08-01-2017, 11:24 AM
maybe something like these.

http://www.powersportsmax.com/index.php?cPath=227&utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=msncpc

DoctorJ999
08-01-2017, 12:33 PM
I had and MP3 and loved it as it seemed more stable than two wheeled scooters. You're correct that you only have to pass a leg thru vs up and over like a Spyder. However, with the MP3, you still have to be able to keep it upright with your own leg(s) when you come to a stop, esp a panic stop. There is the electronic "lock" on the front wheels that will hold the wheels in the the same position they're in when you hit the lock. However, keeping it upright AND hitting the lock when you want it - i found to be a bit tricky. If her leg strength is suspect, maybe have her try "climbing" up and over on a Spyder just to see...just my 1 1/2 cents;)

Brentc
08-01-2017, 01:15 PM
I had and MP3 and loved it as it seemed more stable than two wheeled scooters. You're correct that you only have to pass a leg thru vs up and over like a Spyder. However, with the MP3, you still have to be able to keep it upright with your own leg(s) when you come to a stop, esp a panic stop. There is the electronic "lock" on the front wheels that will hold the wheels in the the same position they're in when you hit the lock. However, keeping it upright AND hitting the lock when you want it - i found to be a bit tricky. If her leg strength is suspect, maybe have her try "climbing" up and over on a Spyder just to see...just my 1 1/2 cents;)

Good info to have, thank you.

ARtraveler
08-01-2017, 02:45 PM
Why not a golf cart? Easy to get into and room enough to carry packages. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-01-2017, 02:55 PM
I know that the money looks "stupid" on this one:

https://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Leola-Motortrike-2964278/listing/2008-Suzuki-Burgman-400-122433775

But would a conversion on a Bergman work? :dontknow:

Brentc
08-01-2017, 03:12 PM
Why not a golf cart? Easy to get into and room enough to carry packages. :thumbup:
Back in the day, the town used to allow golf carts. Unfortunately someone went crazy with theirs and the police had to start enforcing the motor vehicle law around them.

Brentc
08-01-2017, 03:14 PM
I know that the money looks "stupid" on this one:

https://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/Leola-Motortrike-2964278/listing/2008-Suzuki-Burgman-400-122433775

But would a conversion on a Bergman work? :dontknow:
Thinking that wouldn't be a possibility..

IdahoMtnSpyder
08-01-2017, 05:00 PM
My mom, 72 years old, is looking for a small manageable 3 wheeler to use during the summer while at there vacation house. It's a very small town, and there wouldn't be any long distance type trips. Just around town and maybe grocery store now and then. Does anyone have any info worth sharing on any brands or models? Would hopefully like to find something that is serviceable in the us and not a knock off that you could never get parts for.

Thank you in advance for any info.
If the vehicle laws allow their use on the roads she will be riding, maybe something like a Polaris Ace UTV would work.

https://ace.polaris.com/en-us/ace-150-efi/

SL Ken
08-01-2017, 05:02 PM
Try Googling three wheeled scooter. There are quite a few. Some look like mobility scooters and some look like Vespas with three wheels. I know around my area I have seen Spyder type scooters with three wheels in the front. (Not Piaggio). Looked ok. I'd say it was a Chinese or Korean knock off, but the people that had it moved.