View Full Version : tires OH BOY

bmccaffrey
07-31-2017, 07:22 PM
HAVE OVER 17000 ON MY KENDAS FOR 13 RS

LOOKING FOR NEW SNEAKS. ANY RECCOMEDATIONS

TX

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-31-2017, 07:39 PM
The front tires are not as critical as the rear tire ..... any good car tire that fits will give you good performance ..... what that specific tire does in the WET is what I would look for ....... I have old style fenders and I put General Altimax 175/65-15's on my 2014 RT .... I had originally reported that it was a very tight fit do to some scraping noise I could here from the front tires ..... Well After removing the fenders I discovered some of my additional wires ( for LED's ) had come loose ...... I corrected that and NO more noise. You may have to shim the brackets and/or put washers on the lugs to move the tire out slightly .....Mike :thumbup:

trikermutha
07-31-2017, 08:03 PM
Federal Formosa all weather works well on the spyder

tehrlich
07-31-2017, 09:14 PM
My Yokohamas look awesome. Sporty and fill in the wheel well nicely. Smooth, too.

bmccaffrey
08-01-2017, 05:43 AM
Should run Same size as Kendas Correct

Peter Aawen
08-01-2017, 06:39 AM
Should you run the same size tire?!? Yeah, sure.... maybe... but only if you are keen to try & keep everything LOOKING as close to stock as you can!!

But do be aware that unless you are ACTUALLY running the same size OE Spec Kendas on your Spyder the chances of any tire physically being an identical size to them is really pretty slim!! Even tires with identical size labelling on the sidewall from the same manufacturer MIGHT be as much as 25mm or so different in diameter &/or width, and that potential difference can be even larger if you are comparing tires from a different manufacturer, despite them wearing the same nominal size on the sidewall!! :dontknow:

To be sure you get something that DOES fit, you'll hafta check out the many brands & sizes of tires that HAVE fitted comfortably on other Spyders before committing to a replacement Non-Kenda tire. However, there are heaps of different brand/various sized tires out there that DO fit & work, and I really doubt there are many of them that haven't proven to be significantly better all round than the OE Kendas; altho that doesn't really appear to be all that hard, since it seems that getting a 'good' OE Kenda is pretty much a 'Luck of the Draw' Lottery - with about the same chance of winning as you have of winning the Lottery too! :gaah: There's little doubt that very few Spyder Ryders haven't been very pleased once they've swapped out the OE Spec Kendas for something (anything!) else (even up front, altho the light load up that end means the Kendas can be sorta OK, altho never 'great', nor arguably even 'good', but they do work for a few!) Oh, apart from the Arachnid tires anyway, they appear to be a 'form, fit, & (not any better!) function' clone/replacement/copy of the OE Spec Kendas!

Good Luck!

Bob Denman
08-01-2017, 07:19 AM
If your OEM tires have lasted this long: why not consider getting another set of them?
Have they ever let you down?

...just sayin'...

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-01-2017, 07:50 AM
If your OEM tires have lasted this long: why not consider getting another set of them?
Have they ever let you down?

...just sayin'... Bob did you read what Peter had to say ( above ) about this ??? ....Tell me - how many brand new Kenda's have been reported here to be defective when BRAND NEW ......vs. how many Car tires ( any brand ) have been reported to be defective even after use ???? ............ Why hype a BAD product ?... just sayin .....Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-01-2017, 07:54 AM
Of course I read it...

Has the O.P. had any trouble with defective Kendas? :dontknow:
My point is that if you've been happy with them: there's nothing that says you can't continue to use them.
"D" (up in Alaska) has used nothing but OEM tires on his five Spyders, and well over 133,000 miles: no trouble ever!

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-01-2017, 08:09 AM
Of course I read it...

Has the O.P. had any trouble with defective Kendas? :dontknow:
My point is that if you've been happy with them: there's nothing that says you can't continue to use them.
"D" (up in Alaska) has used nothing but OEM tires on his five Spyders, and well over 133,000 miles: no trouble ever!
And my point was .... why take the chance ( maybe 15% ) of buying a defective Kenda ... when you buy a car that's very UN-likely to be defective ...........sorry but that's not Logical ...... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-01-2017, 08:24 AM
Maybe 15%? :dontknow:
Maybe not...
When you throw out a number like that, and you have no documentation to support it: it only raises questions about you, and not the tires...

For the record: I've owned six OEM Kenda tires. Based upon your 15% claim: there should have been a failure in there somewhere. :shocked:
(A 90% chance anyway...)

blacklightning
08-01-2017, 08:46 AM
I loved the Federal Evo tires on my 2014 RT. The Kendas had plenty of thread, even at 17k miles. But I switched rims and wanted to mount new tires. I must say that my spyder never drove or rode as good, even factory fresh, as they did with the Evo's. I now have about 4500 miles on my F3T, and I will definitely be replacing the oem tires with evo in stock size. Doc was the first that I knew to use those and he also gave them good reviews.

safecracker
08-01-2017, 08:53 AM
I am running Generals on all 3 wheels. I like em.

Bob Denman
08-01-2017, 09:17 AM
I am running Generals on all 3 wheels. I like em.
:clap: :congrats: :thumbup:
Which models, and what sizes? :dontknow:

edmarble
08-01-2017, 11:52 AM
Since the OP has an RS, here's a caution about car tires. It really depends on what your priorities are and whether car tires match those priorities. And from what I've seen, those priorities vary wildly. I ride exclusively one-up on an ST. I have almost 30k miles on the original Kendas. I have rotated them twice and have had no issues with wear or balancing. I ride very hard on a lot of rough curvy mountain roads. I happen to love the way the Kendas handle. They are supple and provide excellent traction, feel for the road, and ride.

On the rear, I loved everything about the Kenda except the tire wear in the center of the tire. In an effort to get better tire wear, I tried a car tire even though I knew I would likely give up some traction. Because dry traction is my priority, I chose the Yokohama S.drive. It has an AA traction rating and a low wear rating. I started at 20 psi and was stunned at how harsh the ride was and how poor the traction was under hard acceleration out of corners compared to the Kenda. I then tried 15 psi and while it was better, the ride is still punishing and I get a lot of traction control intervention that I never got with the Kenda. At this point, I have 2k miles on it and am considering going back to the Kenda before this one wears out. I have run it some at 10 psi and it's a lot closer to what I want, but I'm not all that comfortable running it over 100 at ten psi. It does feel way better on well maintained freeway, but that's not where I spend most of my time.

As for the fronts, after the experience on the rear, I can't fathom putting car tires on the front. The Kendas have a load index of 55 and are run at 15 psi. I just can't see getting enough air out of a 75 rated tire to get the same traction and handling as the Kendas. Again, it obviously matters where and how you ride and what your priorities are. I don't doubt that car tires line up perfectly for some, but for me, the positives just don't outweigh the negatives.

Bob Denman
08-01-2017, 12:04 PM
That's why we've each got to make our own choices... :D

ARtraveler
08-01-2017, 02:47 PM
Help! I am held hostage by the dealer. Kenda has been my brand since 2008. Fortunately, they have performed well for me--except for the OEM on the 2014 rear tire. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
08-01-2017, 02:51 PM
Help! I am held hostage by the dealer. Kenda has been my brand since 2008. Fortunately, they have performed well for me--except for the OEM on the 2014 rear tire. :thumbup:
:shocked: I forgot about that one... should I revise Post #9? :opps:

ARtraveler
08-01-2017, 02:55 PM
:shocked: I forgot about that one... should I revise Post #9? :opps:

Naaaaaaaaah! It's your choice. What do you think? :yes:

Bob Denman
08-01-2017, 02:57 PM
:D I'm tired of typing: I think that I'll let it pass... THIS TIME! :D

ARtraveler
08-01-2017, 03:03 PM
:D I'm tired of typing: I think that I'll let it pass... THIS TIME! :D

Okay. :roflblack:

marty1096
08-01-2017, 05:15 PM
could someone point me to a thread on brand name for replacing front tires. I have yoko on the rear. I was thinking yoko or michelin.
p.s. i see loads of articles on rear.
For Fronts I saw:
Fed Formoza 165-55-15
Continental conti pro contact no size listed
Yoko Avid S34FA 175-55-15
what do you have on your fronts; would you buy them again?
if this is a duplicate subject, point me to the old thread.
thanks

IGETAROUND
08-01-2017, 06:17 PM
could someone point me to a thread on brand name for replacing front tires. I have yoko on the rear. I was thinking yoko or michelin.
For Fronts I saw:
Fed Formoza 165-55-15

thanks

Continental conti pro contact I run these in the original keda size, outstanding traction wet or dry, run them @ 15 psi, have 19K on them and they still look new. Haven't actually put a tread gauge on them however. From the look of them currently would expect that they will go between 35-40K; got 25K out of the kenda's.

Deanna777
08-01-2017, 06:28 PM
For Fronts I saw:
Fed Formoza 165-55-15
thanksI am running the Continental Contiprocontact's (Size 165/60 R15) on the front tires, I have a 2014RTS-SE6.

Changed the Kendas last year, @ 12,807miles and I know have 6, 593 miles on the Continental Contiprocontact's. No issues with the Continental Contiprocontact's. Running them @ 19PSI. The tires are wearing well,, no noise, the spyder handles great.

I have a total of 19,400 miles on the spyder.

This is my first full riding season with the Continental Contiprocontact's. Yes I would buy them again.

Do a search for Tires in the upper right hand corner ( white box).

Deanna

Buckeye Chuck 54
08-02-2017, 07:27 AM
My original Kenda's lasted 23,000 miles, so I replaced them with another set on my '14 RT-S. That set lasted 7200. I ride a lot and I can't see replacing tires every 5 weeks. I bought a set of Kumho KH 16 in the 155-60-15 size. That set lasted 46,000 miles, they weren't down to the wear bars yet but the edges were worn from cornering. I replaced them with another set of Kumho's and this set has over 30,000. They are wearing perfect. These tires are not directional so I switch them every 5000 miles. I'm always open to other suggestions. Does anybody out there have many miles on their front tires?
On the rear I ride the General Altimax 215-60-15.
Chuck

For Fronts I saw:
Fed Formoza 165-55-15
thanks

jcthorne
08-02-2017, 10:54 AM
Should run Same size as Kendas Correct

Same Physical size. The Kenda's do not run true to size.

jcthorne
08-02-2017, 10:59 AM
Maybe 15%? :dontknow:
Maybe not...
When you throw out a number like that, and you have no documentation to support it: it only raises questions about you, and not the tires...

For the record: I've owned six OEM Kenda tires. Based upon your 15% claim: there should have been a failure in there somewhere. :shocked:
(A 90% chance anyway...)

I look at it from a different perspective than BRP. Most OEMs and indeed top tier tire companies consider any tire in this size range over 2oz out of balance as a defect. I have found less than one in 10 Kendas that are less than 2oz out of balance. That's a 90% defect rate. I have removed many that had 7oz or more of weights and were still out of balance. The Kendas truly are awful tires for these great machines.

jcthorne
08-02-2017, 11:03 AM
Since the OP has an RS, here's a caution about car tires. It really depends on what your priorities are and whether car tires match those priorities. And from what I've seen, those priorities vary wildly. I ride exclusively one-up on an ST. I have almost 30k miles on the original Kendas. I have rotated them twice and have had no issues with wear or balancing. I ride very hard on a lot of rough curvy mountain roads. I happen to love the way the Kendas handle. They are supple and provide excellent traction, feel for the road, and ride.

On the rear, I loved everything about the Kenda except the tire wear in the center of the tire. In an effort to get better tire wear, I tried a car tire even though I knew I would likely give up some traction. Because dry traction is my priority, I chose the Yokohama S.drive. It has an AA traction rating and a low wear rating. I started at 20 psi and was stunned at how harsh the ride was and how poor the traction was under hard acceleration out of corners compared to the Kenda. I then tried 15 psi and while it was better, the ride is still punishing and I get a lot of traction control intervention that I never got with the Kenda. At this point, I have 2k miles on it and am considering going back to the Kenda before this one wears out. I have run it some at 10 psi and it's a lot closer to what I want, but I'm not all that comfortable running it over 100 at ten psi. It does feel way better on well maintained freeway, but that's not where I spend most of my time.

As for the fronts, after the experience on the rear, I can't fathom putting car tires on the front. The Kendas have a load index of 55 and are run at 15 psi. I just can't see getting enough air out of a 75 rated tire to get the same traction and handling as the Kendas. Again, it obviously matters where and how you ride and what your priorities are. I don't doubt that car tires line up perfectly for some, but for me, the positives just don't outweigh the negatives.

I can tell you first hand, Yokos with 20 psi in the front will out corner and out brake the Kendas with ANY reasonable air pressure. And they will feel and ride better and last longer while doing so. You need to try a set of top tier tires on the front of your Spyder, one good ride and you will NEVER go back.

Bob Denman
08-02-2017, 11:06 AM
Again... I've had six of them, and none of them needed any weights.
And I'm NOT that lucky! :D

I'm also not saying that they're the best tire ever made. I would never choose to run a Kenda on the rear of my bike. There are better choices: once the OEM "Chicken-Skin" is toast.
But they're also not as bad as some folks want to keep saying either. nojoke

edmarble
08-02-2017, 12:03 PM
I can tell you first hand, Yokos with 20 psi in the front will out corner and out brake the Kendas with ANY reasonable air pressure. And they will feel and ride better and last longer while doing so. You need to try a set of top tier tires on the front of your Spyder, one good ride and you will NEVER go back.

Sorry, but out-cornering and out-braking implies better traction. I just don't buy that you can take a car tire with almost twice the load capacity of the Kendas, a harder compound, and run it at a higher pressure and get better traction. That just doesn't make any sense. If the Kendas were so soft that they were rollong over or squirming badly, it would be one thing, but they aren't. They corner dead flat and are soft enough to conform well even to a rough road surface. And that's at 15 psi. The Yokohama on the rear is a brick and even at lower pressures clearly has less traction than the original Kenda. It's great if you like them, but I don't think you can reasonably claim that they will out-corner or out-brake the Kendas.

jcthorne
08-02-2017, 12:10 PM
Sorry, but out-cornering and out-braking implies better traction. I just don't buy that you can take a car tire with almost twice the load capacity of the Kendas, a harder compound, and run it at a higher pressure and get better traction. That just doesn't make any sense. If the Kendas were so soft that they were rollong over or squirming badly, it would be one thing, but they aren't. They corner dead flat and are soft enough to conform well even to a rough road surface. And that's at 15 psi. The Yokohama on the rear is a brick and even at lower pressures clearly has less traction than the original Kenda. It's great if you like them, but I don't think you can reasonably claim that they will out-corner or out-brake the Kendas.

You are seeing something very different than I. The Yoko on the rear of my bike runs 22 or so psi and has FAR better traction than the Kenda it replaced and is going to last a good deal longer. Already has 9k and has a good 8 to 10 left in it.

On the front, the Kenda's DO roll over in turns, the side walls are way too flimsy to keep the tread patch in good contact. That is exactly why the center wears on the rear. The Yokos keep more rubber in contact with the road, More contact patch, more even wear together can and does equal a better performing tire that also lasts a bit longer.

There are longer life tires than the sport oriented Yokos, but they really do trade off traction for better longevity.

edmarble
08-02-2017, 04:23 PM
You are seeing something very different than I. The Yoko on the rear of my bike runs 22 or so psi and has FAR better traction than the Kenda it replaced and is going to last a good deal longer. Already has 9k and has a good 8 to 10 left in it.

On the front, the Kenda's DO roll over in turns, the side walls are way too flimsy to keep the tread patch in good contact. That is exactly why the center wears on the rear. The Yokos keep more rubber in contact with the road, More contact patch, more even wear together can and does equal a better performing tire that also lasts a bit longer.

There are longer life tires than the sport oriented Yokos, but they really do trade off traction for better longevity.

If you have photos or video of the Kendas rolling over in a turn I'd love to see it because everything I've ever seen shows exactly the opposite. Even at 15 psi, the Kendas are never close to taxing the sidewalls in turns. I think that's a bit of mythology that has evolved over time. I don't doubt that it may feel like they are rolling to some, but there is nothing I've seen or experienced to support that. in fact, given how light the Spyders are, the suppleness of the Kendas is what keeps them so hooked up to the road, particularly with less than smooth road surfaces. I do agree that the rear tire needs improvement. I'm just not convinced that a car tire does it for me.

BLUEKNIGHT911
08-02-2017, 06:36 PM
I look at it from a different perspective than BRP. Most OEMs and indeed top tier tire companies consider any tire in this size range over 2oz out of balance as a defect. I have found less than one in 10 Kendas that are less than 2oz out of balance. That's a 90% defect rate. I have removed many that had 7oz or more of weights and were still out of balance. The Kendas truly are awful tires for these great machines.
:bdh:JC once Bob has his mind made not even the other J.C. could change His mind :bdh:.... Mike :thumbup:

bmccaffrey
08-02-2017, 07:49 PM
So my mind is made up car tire for sure.

Know just deciding what brand yoko continental federal:dontknow:

:dontknow:decisions decisions

jcthorne
08-03-2017, 08:08 AM
If you have photos or video of the Kendas rolling over in a turn I'd love to see it because everything I've ever seen shows exactly the opposite. Even at 15 psi, the Kendas are never close to taxing the sidewalls in turns. I think that's a bit of mythology that has evolved over time. I don't doubt that it may feel like they are rolling to some, but there is nothing I've seen or experienced to support that. in fact, given how light the Spyders are, the suppleness of the Kendas is what keeps them so hooked up to the road, particularly with less than smooth road surfaces. I do agree that the rear tire needs improvement. I'm just not convinced that a car tire does it for me.

Don't need a video. I have SEEN IT first had. You can simply look down while in a long sweeper and SEE the tire roll to the inside with significant tread offset from the rim.

Bob Denman
08-03-2017, 08:24 AM
So my mind is made up car tire for sure.

Know just deciding what brand yoko continental federal:dontknow:

:dontknow:decisions decisions
Once you've got to this point: it's pretty tough to make a wrong decision!
Any of them would be an improvement! :thumbup:

If anyone is confused about what seems to be several conflicting statements that I continue to make about Kendas:
I firmly believe that they are better than the "Bad-Press" in here would have you believe...
But I also believe that they also leave a lot to be desired.

AeroPilot
08-03-2017, 08:34 AM
Every ones ride is different both their physical bike, load and riding styles and aggressiveness and what they Value in tires. I still have the front Kendas on my 15 base RT because I choose to get all the miles I can out of them and at 27,000 they are still not down to the wear bars, and rolling smooth. Had some rough roll/balance issues on the old 11 RT OEM front tires but smoothed out with Michelin defenders.

I bought two sets of Kumho KH16s for the fronts and the wife got great wear and roll on her 15 RTS that she traded this year at 44,000. I have the other set on some PPA wheels waiting for the OEM Kendas to wear out this season. I do think that Kenda is slowly improving their "robustness" to try to meet a general consensus that flared up over their poor wear especially on the 2014 rear tires. We have only run 4 Kumho Ecsta AST's on the rears of our RTS, along with a full set of the Michelin Defenders on the 11 RT that still had good rubber when we traded at 76,000 miles (over 30,000 on the Mich's). It all depends on your priorities and values, but there are many choices to try!

Just what will I try next on the wifes F3T? hhmmmmm......

bmccaffrey
08-03-2017, 07:09 PM
anyone try the achilles tire