PDA

View Full Version : TIRE MILEAGE REPORT

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-26-2017, 11:29 PM
On Sept 1, 2014 I put a Michelin Hydro-edge 215/60-15 on my 2014 RT ( on the rear )..... I now have almost 27,000 ( happy ) miles on it ( avg. psi 18 to 20 ). I think 3,000 to 5,000 more miles is possible before I hit the wear bars. Dry traction is still excellent, wet traction has just started to lessen a bit ( this normal for wear ). Unfortunately this model Michelin was discontinued awhile ago, so any that are still out there are OLD TIRES. I'm now seriously considering the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons PLUS in 215/60-15 as the replacement. Very few Spyderlovers have tried this tire, but the performance numbers are actually better than the Altimax ( by a little bit ). It's really to bad BRP is locked into the Kenda tire deal, there are quite a few better choices out there. I really recommend the lower tire pressures for the best performance, especially in the wet, and it sure doesn't appear to effect the mileage you can get from the rear tire ....... Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
07-26-2017, 11:35 PM
On an obsolete tire..:banghead::roflblack: did you well too bad they discontinued it...

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-26-2017, 11:47 PM
On an obsolete tire..:banghead::roflblack: did you well too bad they discontinued it...
:gaah:.... I know, it really sucks when they change something that worked so well ..... Kinda like what BRP did to the original DESS module that didn't cause any problems until some engineer decide to FIX IT :yikes: ..... that didn't work out to well either :lecturef_smilie::roflblack::roflblack: ..... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-27-2017, 07:19 AM
:shocked: 27,000 miles and counting?? :clap: :firstplace:
I got 12,300 out of my last Kumho, and that's the best that I ever got out of a tire on a motorcycle!
:congrats:
Now: the search begins for a suitable replacement! :D

Trbayth
07-27-2017, 07:27 AM
:shocked: 27,000 miles and counting?? :clap: :firstplace:
I got 12,300 out of my last Kumho, and that's the best that I ever got out of a tire on a motorcycle!
:congrats:
Now: the search begins for a suitable replacement! :D

For what? Didn't you sell your bike already in anticipation for your fancy new 10th anniversary bike? ;)

Trbayth
07-27-2017, 07:30 AM
Adding my tire report.

Just hit 23K miles on my ST. Front tires are still OEM Kenda's and they look like they still have enough tread life left to make it at least through the rest of this season.
Have about 13K on a Kuhmo Ecsta on the rear; no issues at all and tread wear looks great.

Bob Denman
07-27-2017, 07:38 AM
For what? Didn't you sell your bike already in anticipation for your fancy new 10th anniversary bike? ;)
Mike's search: not mine... :D

Machinegunner
07-27-2017, 09:53 AM
Mike you got the good mileage from your tire because you ride soooo slooow in the twisties. Just think how much less mileage you would get if you went faster. In reality, that is better mileage than I have been able get, and I don't drive as fast you.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-27-2017, 09:58 AM
Mike's search: not mine... :D
Bob - I talked about the ..... " Pirelli " in the middle of my thread !!!!! ......... your welcome :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-27-2017, 10:03 AM
I'm now seriously considering the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons PLUS in 215/60-15 as the replacement.

That doesn't sound like a "made-up mind": not yet anyway! :D

MikeT
07-27-2017, 11:05 AM
[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1284179] On Sept 1, 2014 I put a Michelin Hydro-edge 215/60-15 on my 2014 RT ( on the rear )..... I now have almost 27,000 ( happy ) miles on it ( avg. psi 18 to 20 ). I think 3,000 to 5,000 more miles is possible before I hit the wear bars. That's amazing mileage for a rear tire. Dry traction is still excellent, wet traction has just started to lessen a bit ( this normal for wear ). Unfortunately this model Michelin was discontinued awhile ago. Many spyder riders bemoan the loss of this tire. It's replacement(Defender) is not as good a tire. Some have gone to the Premier A/S in the 205/60R15 size. I'm now seriously considering the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons PLUS in 215/60-15 as the replacement. Go for it. It could be a good Hydroedge replacement. Very few Spyderlovers have tried this tire, but the performance numbers are actually better than the Altimax ( by a little bit ). It's really to bad BRP is locked into the Kenda tire deal, there are quite a few better choices out there. Seems like more dealers are only putting on motorcycle rated tires. I really recommend the lower tire pressures for the best performance, especially in the wet, and it sure doesn't appear to effect the mileage you can get from the rear tire ....... Mike :thumbup: [/QUOTE Your recommended tire pressure is based on solo rider. For 2-up application, what would you recommend?????

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-27-2017, 01:16 PM
[QUOTE=BLUEKNIGHT911;1284179] On Sept 1, 2014 I put a Michelin Hydro-edge 215/60-15 on my 2014 RT ( on the rear )..... I now have almost 27,000 ( happy ) miles on it ( avg. psi 18 to 20 ). I think 3,000 to 5,000 more miles is possible before I hit the wear bars. That's amazing mileage for a rear tire. Dry traction is still excellent, wet traction has just started to lessen a bit ( this normal for wear ). Unfortunately this model Michelin was discontinued awhile ago. Many spyder riders bemoan the loss of this tire. It's replacement(Defender) is not as good a tire. Some have gone to the Premier A/S in the 205/60R15 size. I'm now seriously considering the Pirelli P4 Four Seasons PLUS in 215/60-15 as the replacement. Go for it. It could be a good Hydroedge replacement. Very few Spyderlovers have tried this tire, but the performance numbers are actually better than the Altimax ( by a little bit ). It's really to bad BRP is locked into the Kenda tire deal, there are quite a few better choices out there. Seems like more dealers are only putting on motorcycle rated tires. I really recommend the lower tire pressures for the best performance, especially in the wet, and it sure doesn't appear to effect the mileage you can get from the rear tire ....... Mike :thumbup: [/QUOTE Your recommended tire pressure is based on solo rider. For 2-up application, what would you recommend?????, The same ........ & the strength of any car tire far exceeds the weight limits of our Spyder .... Also think about this, in your car do you change the Tire Pressure if you put one, two, or three passengers in it ...... It's the same principle only on a smaller scale.......and I'm living proof that you won't Break the bead either .... I rode my Michelin at 8 psi ( accidently ) and it stayed sealed plus the RIM wasn't / didn't touch the ground :yikes: .... Mike :thumbup: