PDA

View Full Version : has anyone wrapped a helmet?

Fatcycledaddy
07-25-2017, 12:04 PM
Has anyone ever wrapped a helmet?
I have the circuit yellow Spyder and I can't find any helmets close in color.
Could someone who does wraps match that color, and then has anyone here wrapped a helmet?

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-25-2017, 12:14 PM
A color match is going to be impossible to find ( except for painting it ) , so if that's a deal breaker for you, you might as well forget this idea...... However they sell this stuff ( wrap material ) on E-bay in lots of colors and textures.... I have seen demo video's of people using this stuff on some pretty intricate shapes ( check for U-tube - how -to's ) .... Have you considered Hydro-dipping...... or imho just painting it ?????..... Mike :thumbup:

Fatcycledaddy
07-25-2017, 12:56 PM
I had thought about painting, but my painting skills SUCK. I can do many things but that is one that never quite turns out like I want it to.

I am not looking for an perfect match, just not something that is close. I am planning on leaving the center strip black like on the front of the Spyder.
Thanks for the tip, I will look on Ebay and see if I can what they have.

cptjam
07-25-2017, 01:28 PM
Most good painters can match colors. A wrap is not very tough. Or, buy a white one, be cooler, be seen, and be a trendsetter!
ours are white, mostly for the heat issue out here.

ARtraveler
07-25-2017, 01:59 PM
Try Nolan helmets. Give Baja Ron (a SL vendor) a call. The yellow is very close to the Spyder yellow. I have three of them.

Fatcycledaddy
07-25-2017, 02:09 PM
Try Nolan helmets. Give Baja Ron (a SL vendor) a call. The yellow is very close to the Spyder yellow. I have three of them.
I had emailed him, and then looked at the Nolan, but it appears that most of the helmet manufactures has gone to the high viz yellow. High viz would clash badly with the Spyder.

ARtraveler
07-25-2017, 02:18 PM
I had emailed him, and then looked at the Nolan, but it appears that most of the helmet manufactures has gone to the high viz yellow. High viz would clash badly with the Spyder.

My last purchase was a N44 about three years ago. Spyder Yellow on that and the others. This go around (2017)--we bought a pair of white N40's.

cuznjohn
07-25-2017, 04:02 PM
i did once, only because it was a gift for a girl that rode with me, and it was her birthday

Fatcycledaddy
07-25-2017, 04:29 PM
i did once, only because it was a gift for a girl that rode with me, and it was her birthday

That's awesome! I guess I should have been more specific:clap::clap:

SteveandBelinda
07-25-2017, 05:50 PM
My son in-law wraps Police cars, Ambulances, etc He probably could.

Has anyone ever wrapped a helmet?
I have the circuit yellow Spyder and I can't find any helmets close in color.
Could someone who does wraps match that color, and then has anyone here wrapped a helmet?

RinconRyder
07-25-2017, 09:29 PM
Most good painters can match colors. A wrap is not very tough. Or, buy a white one, be cooler, be seen, and be a trendsetter! ours are white, mostly for the heat issue out here.

FYI, several years ago one of the bike mags did a test of helmet colors to see if dark absorbed more heat than lighter colors. It amazed me that white vs black was only a difference of 3 degrees F (inside the helmet). Not enough to worry about.

BajaRon
07-26-2017, 08:18 AM
FYI, several years ago one of the bike mags did a test of helmet colors to see if dark absorbed more heat than lighter colors. It amazed me that white vs black was only a difference of 3 degrees F (inside the helmet). Not enough to worry about.

Helmets are very well insulated. Surface temperature of the helmet will vary greatly depending on color. But very little of the surface temperature reaches the rider's head (Hot or Cold). All that insulation is simply a by-product of the protection components built into the helmet.

Fatcycledaddy
07-26-2017, 08:43 AM
Well, I found a wrap on ebay I am going to try. I figure that the worst that can happen is that I have to peel it all off and stay with the black.

I was thinking of the heat factor more than just the color match of the bike, but after reading the GREAT info here, it makes total sense on the heat not getting to your head.

If it works I will post before and after pics, if it doesn't I will never tell!!;)

Buckeye Bleau
07-27-2017, 10:35 AM
As opposed to trying to find a wrap and getting it done without wrinkles or creases, I would suggest that you do some research on Hydrodipping businesses. They can get you an unlimited array of colors, prints and designs that will make it difficult to decide.

Hydrodipping, when done properly is like a custom paint job, permanent and long lasting.

They Hydrodip helmets, wheels, dashboards, toys, guns, whatever. I have done home décor items, picture frames, Xbox consoles and plan on doing my dash this winter. Check it out, find a dealer locally or that you can send it to, but find someone that does it for a living, it can be great or a disaster.

Joe