PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Insurance Cost VS 2 Wheeled Bike Insurance Cost

adzgrrrl
07-25-2017, 11:21 AM
I know there are lots of variables that can play into what a person's insurance costs are, but..... do yall have any ideas why insurance on my 2017 Spyder F3 would be more than DOUBLE what my husbands policy is on his 2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse? (same coverage/deductible/etc) The value of his Indian is greater than the F3 and it has a bigger engine than my F3. WTF? :yikes::banghead:

FYI: This is through Allstate. I've questioned this and had our agent run the numbers 3 times. Still the same quote. We just switched from Progressive to Allstate because they were MUCH LESS overall. But it still hacks me off that my bike is so much more expensive to insure than the husbands. : /

sincerely... Pouty McPoutsalot

Bob Denman
07-25-2017, 11:26 AM
:D Pouty, :roflblack:

You might need a different Company.nojoke
Some of them blindly assign surcharges to any and all three-wheeled motorcycles.
Check with your Agent to see if this is what has happened.
A SMART Company will ask if the Trike is a conversion or not; before surcharging the risk.
Good luck, and happy hunting!
For the Record: The American Modern Group, and Safeco do not!
(Mine is through Safeco as part of an entire account: Auto, Home, Umbrella, and Bike.)

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-25-2017, 12:06 PM
I know there are lots of variables that can play into what a person's insurance costs are, but..... do yall have any ideas why insurance on my 2017 Spyder F3 would be more than DOUBLE what my husbands policy is on his 2017 Indian Chieftain Dark Horse? (same coverage/deductible/etc) The value of his Indian is greater than the F3 and it has a bigger engine than my F3. WTF? :yikes::banghead:

FYI: This is through Allstate. I've questioned this and had our agent run the numbers 3 times. Still the same quote. We just switched from Progressive to Allstate because they were MUCH LESS overall. But it still hacks me off that my bike is so much more expensive to insure than the husbands. : /

:agree: With Bob, imho conventional trikes are " Death machines " compared to the Spyders, and what He says about agents are spot on........ Try Dairyland ..... I just renewed my 14 RT for $ 193.00 for Excellent complete coverage. I can ride a full 12 mos. if I want ..... there is no cut-off date for my Winter discount ..... Mike :thumbup:

adzgrrrl
07-25-2017, 12:16 PM
https://www.allstate.com/tools-and-resources/motorcycle-insurance/three-wheeled-vehicle-insurance.aspx

They have our picture on their website! They should give us a discount for that! LOL :clap:

I got a quote from Dairyland and it was comparable to Allstate. $1775.98 for a 12 months policy for the Spyder and the Indian. (they didn't show a separate breakdown for each bike on the quote)

We don't have any accidents or tickets on our records and are definitely not spring chickens. :hun: Pouty is morphing into cranky. LOLOLOL. I need to get out and ride and just say to heck with it. :doorag:

KosherKid
07-25-2017, 12:28 PM
I have Progressive with a multi-bike policy and just the 2016 Spyder RT is over $750, about the same cost as the other 3 bikes together. One of the others is an Aprilia speed demon.

Spyderdale
07-25-2017, 12:33 PM
I have Progressive with a multi-bike policy and just the 2016 Spyder RT is over $750, about the same cost as the other 3 bikes together. One of the others is an Aprilia speed demon. Try Geico.

Rob Rodriguez
07-25-2017, 12:38 PM
If I were paying those kinds of rates for insurance I wouldn't even own a bike! Insurance is such a racket!

I'm on progressive, 2012 RS runs about $150 yr.

adzgrrrl
07-25-2017, 12:39 PM
I have Progressive with a multi-bike policy and just the 2016 Spyder RT is over $750, about the same cost as the other 3 bikes together. One of the others is an Aprilia speed demon.

This is just crazy!!! Why? Overall, I think we Spyder ryders are a pretty safe risk bunch. The bike isn't cheap, so we're more likely to take care of it after spending our hard earned $$$ on it. We (generally speaking) aren't irresponsible whippersnappers. Why are they charging some of us out the wazzzoooo?

Can ya'll tell I'm obsessing over this? hahaha. :roflblack:

Zip
07-25-2017, 12:39 PM
I Have State Farm, I pay $149.50 a year

adzgrrrl
07-25-2017, 12:42 PM
If I were paying those kinds of rates for insurance I wouldn't even own a bike! Insurance is such a racket!

I'm on progressive, 2012 RS runs about $150 yr.

Progressive was charging me $1500ish per year!!!!! I am female, 48, with no accidents, and no tickets on my record. And have taken the MSF course.

<battled in Alabama>

Bob Denman
07-25-2017, 12:43 PM
I just went in on Allstate's website, and got a quote for an address in Huntsville for my old bike.
(2014 RT Limited)
For the enhanced policy: it was $1138 for a year!
That DOES seem kind of high... nojoke

Triple B
07-25-2017, 12:50 PM

How many years riding do you have on conventional two wheeler bikes and how many on the Spyder? Might have something to do with it.

adzgrrrl
07-25-2017, 01:04 PM
How many years riding do you have on conventional two wheeler bikes and how many on the Spyder? Might have something to do with it.

20+ years on two wheels, but I just got my Spyder a few months ago.

adzgrrrl
07-25-2017, 01:08 PM
I just went in on Allstate's website, and got a quote for an address in Huntsville for my old bike.
(2014 RT Limited)

We'll crap... I guess it's maybe just an HSV Alabama thing. I always thought that we had a bunch of jackwagon drivers here, but I guess that proves it. <razza frazza>

That's for doing that, Bob. I appreciate it. It helps to compare apples to apples.

Zip
07-25-2017, 01:26 PM
We'll crap... I guess it's maybe just an HSV Alabama thing. I always thought that we had a bunch of jackwagon drivers here, but I guess that proves it. <razza frazza>

That's for doing that, Bob. I appreciate it. It helps to compare apples to apples.

Your too close to Fla

adzgrrrl
07-25-2017, 01:31 PM
Your too close to Fla

HAHAHA. Yep... that's where all the crazy sh!+ goes down. ahahha. I have a couple friends that live in Florida and they are always posting news stories about the weirdness that happens there. Always with the hashtag #onlyinflorida

irvin48
07-25-2017, 01:32 PM
i have markel insurance. my first year with the spyder was 293.
this year i also put my victory cross roads with it .little over 300.
im 69 years old. this company insures powersports only,no cars or trucks
and is highly rated. i have low deductibles and carry pretty high coverages.
keep in mind too that your credit score plays heavily into your rates and
also the area you live.

adzgrrrl
07-25-2017, 01:36 PM

But if it were just a state thing, the husbands bike would be expensive to insure too. That's the thing that REALLY hacks me off! hahaha. That's alota farkles, damn it!!! :mad:

adzgrrrl
07-25-2017, 01:43 PM
i have markel insurance. my first year with the spyder was 293.
this year i also put my victory cross roads with it .little over 300.
im 69 years old. this company insures powersports only,no cars or trucks
and is highly rated. i have low deductibles and carry pretty high coverages.
keep in mind too that your credit score plays heavily into your rates and
also the area you live.

hmmmmm. I will have to check them out....
Credit score shouldn't be a factor with us either... I'm at a losss here for what else could factor in.

I'm sensing a Spyder Conspiracy here!!! I'm being singled out for my 3-wheeled-ness. Who can I sue!?!??!?

;) <soooooo just kidding> :roflblack:

ARtraveler
07-25-2017, 01:50 PM
Some State Farm prices for me in Alaska.

17 Subaru Outback: 528 per year--44 per month
15 Kawi Vulcan 900: 444 per year--37 per month
14 Spyder RT-S: 522 per year--44 per month
11 Spyder RT-A&C: 416 per year--35 per month

I carry full coverage on all with a 500 deductible. Cost will vary from Company to company, state to state, and person to person.

Been with State Farm since 1965. They have my home and the four vehicles above. When I have an issue, I can talk with my local agent. They pay when I have had any claims and no arguments or BS so far. :thumbup:

adzgrrrl
07-25-2017, 02:06 PM
Some State Farm prices for me in Alaska.

17 Subaru Outback: 528 per year--44 per month
15 Kawi Vulcan 900: 444 per year--37 per month
14 Spyder RT-S: 522 per year--44 per month
11 Spyder RT-A&C: 416 per year--35 per month

I carry full coverage on all with a 500 deductible. Cost will vary from Company to company, state to state, and person to person.

Been with State Farm since 1965. They have my home and the four vehicles above. When I have an issue, I can talke with my local agent. They pay when I have had any claims and no arguments or BS so far. :thumbup:

Thanks, akspyderman (http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/member.php?4721-akspyderman)... I am getting a quote from then next! ;)

CrashDavis
07-25-2017, 02:56 PM
I agree with the Markel (markelinsuresfun.com) recommendation. Check to make sure you don't have some additional coverage you don't want. I recently became a Spyder ryder and my cost is about the same as my Victory. However when I added my RT-L to my policy, additional coverages were added that increased my costs significantly (something about Florida law saying I had to have it unless I have paperwork saying I don't want it). Once I jumped that bureaucratic obstacle, my costs went back down to reasonable.

As an aside, I won't even consider Allstate after they sent me a bill for more premium 10 months after I had already paid what they told me my entire year's bill was. They said it was because my rates changed when they could charge my checking account automatically each month. When asked why that wasn't taken into account when they gave me a price for paying it all up front, that answer was "Tough".

I also won't consider State Farm because when they thought I owed them some money following an accident, instead of sending me or my insurance company a bill (they knew how to contact us), they sent it directly to a collection agency who wrote a letter to Florida telling them they should take my license because I wasn't being financially responsible.

Anyway, Markel is good.

C. Lee
07-25-2017, 03:21 PM
I to recommend Dairyland. I had my goldwing insured through Erie and the wing was almost $600. My 16 RTL is $300 with good limits and roadside. Chris

foxtail1
07-25-2017, 03:35 PM
Well, you got me nervous, as I'm picking up my new Spyder F3 on Friday and hadn't even thought that the insurance would be higher. But, here in Virginia, it is not. I have Allstate as well (home, cars, motorcycles), and my agent just checked and it will be $153 to $161 per year (depends on the VIN). That is about what we pay for each of our other bikes (Harleys and a Suzuki V-Strom).

That's a huge difference apparently just based on location. (We are also ... mature riders with good driving records.)

Docster
07-25-2017, 07:02 PM
In February I totalled my Harley Electraglide Classic, waking up in an ICU. After 4 weeks in the hospital my wife showed me that despite her MS she could get on a Spyder (never could get on the Harley) so we got one.

Progressive paid me $10,800 on the bike and $2000 of the hospital bill (about 1/4 days' bill :yikes: ) so I expected a major increase in the premium on the Spyder.

--it went DOWN to $276/year :yes:

Schwingel9
07-25-2017, 07:06 PM
42 a month am fam.

mocruiser
07-25-2017, 07:22 PM
I traded my 2-wheeler in on my Spyder last week. The value of the Spyder was double of the Harley. My insurance went DOWN by $140/year.

gnorthern
10-27-2017, 11:28 PM

Do you have just liability or full coverage, and what is your deductible?

ISPYD
10-28-2017, 01:35 AM
Try Geico.

I have my2015 RT Limited with Geico and my 2016 Ford 150 loaded Lariat.

The RT Limited with high limiters of coverage is a $98.22

The F150 with the same coverage as the RTL plus $5 coverage for a 24 foot trailer is $116.35 monthly.

Time for me to check other companies

gnorthern
10-28-2017, 02:11 AM

Do you have just liability or full coverage, and what is your deductible?

mark4Jesus
10-28-2017, 06:56 AM
@adzgrrl What did you finally get?

JayD
10-28-2017, 07:05 AM
I use Grange. Less than $200 per year.

slick999
10-28-2017, 07:12 AM
Been with Dairyland for years but for whatever reason they raised me to 650.00 a year,switched to progressve for 260.00 a year.My agent sells both,this is on a 2014 RT Ltd

SteveP
10-28-2017, 07:35 AM
(2014 RT Limited)

That is almost exactly what I pay here in Toronto area Bob for my Spyder , Multi- policy with Farmers ( now Commonwell ) clean record etc

Navydad
10-28-2017, 10:26 AM
My 2015 RT costs me $173 per year for full coverage here in southern Ohio. I have all my insurances through Allstate and that price includes several discounts such as multi policies, motorcycle safety course, motorcycle organization, anti-lock brakes, safe rider, and a few others. I do shop around every couple of years, but no other company has beat them yet. Any claims I have had in past years have been handled quickly and to my satisfaction, so if it ain't broke don't fix it. I think it all boils down to having a good agent. Oh yeah, that price is actually cheaper than the Triumph Trophy I had before the RT.

youngers
10-28-2017, 10:40 AM
must be the area you are in , just did last night , check into other insurance , progressive was 1400 a year the chieftain,and the spyder , went to foremost insurance , they were 600 cheaper { plus they put in non-insured accident , and about the same coverage progressive had } but with foremost , a cheaper deductible ... you might need to move here for insurance , both of you guys ! :p

Big F
10-28-2017, 11:05 AM

I just reviewed and shopped for insurance for my RAM truck, Jayco RV, Polaris Ranger, Polaris 4-wheeler and my 2014 Spyder RT Limited. I had them all insured by Nationwide for several years. checked Progressive and Geico and could save some bucks, however my agent now writes for WADENA Ins. Co. from Des Moines, Iowa and they had the best overall premiums. My new rate for my Spyder is $236.00 annually for full coverage where I was paying $313.00 with Nationwide. saved a lot on my RAM truck also. Just an FYI..
Good luck shopping as the rates are all over the board..
BIG F

WilderThomas
10-28-2017, 11:31 AM

You also might take a look at Geico if it's offered in your state for motorcycles.

ARNIE R
10-28-2017, 09:45 PM
Back in March when I was insurance hunting, State Farm, my company since 1980 for home and vehicles, declared that did not insure Spyders whatsoever.

So, quotes from AARP - $419 per year.
From Allstate - $420 per year.
From Geico - $278 per month! :shocked:

Went to Allstate because the guy was local and knew his stuff.

These quotes were all for the exact same coverage.

gnorthern
10-29-2017, 02:44 AM
Back in March when I was insurance hunting, State Farm, my company since 1980 for home and vehicles, declared that did not insure Spyders whatsoever.

So, quotes from AARP - $419 per year.
From Allstate - $420 per year.
From Geico - $278 per month! :shocked:

Went to Allstate because the guy was local and knew his stuff.

These quotes were all for the exact same coverage.

Plus I don't trust Geico. I went shopping and they later sent me a follow up email saying they were increasing the quote since they noticed from my credit record I was shopping. That suggests to me they want to sell a policy initially cheap and keep raising the rates.

Wildrice
10-29-2017, 03:27 AM
20+ years on two wheels, but I just got my Spyder a few months ago.

I have State Farm

$314.53 for the year. 2015 Spyder F3's

$332.69 / 6 mos for 2012 GMC Acadia Denali

$398.95 / 6 months 2014 BMW 328XI

Max full coverage with $1000 deductible on Collision

$551.85 for 1 year $3 million Umbrella Policy

$1375 Home Owners Insurance 3500 sq ft home + 1700 sq ft finished bd/ba basement-/3.25 Car garage
Darrell

joebryanjr
10-29-2017, 04:42 AM
I have Progressive, full coverage, $1K deductible <$350/yr.

youngers
10-29-2017, 05:50 AM
I have Progressive, full coverage, $1K deductible <$350/yr.

you know that might be close to what a lot of others might be paying with progressive , but also have a big 1500 c.c. or bigger cycle which pushes it a bit higher { also I see you have the 1000 deductible , riding on egg shells :shocked: not to get incident claim ! could be just me :p }

majorra
10-29-2017, 07:40 AM
Paying $130/year for 2017 F3S with Dairyland

Little Blue
11-01-2017, 10:54 AM
I just got my Renewal and guess what the rate went up $55.00. I have a 2016 RTL. Nothing changed on my side, but cost of Insurance just has to go up. (That what my agent said.) I am looking at other companies for Insurance. So far for Full coverage it will be $457.00 for 12 months. I guess three wheels (SPYDERS) are just more expensive. :banghead: Little Blue

UtahPete
11-01-2017, 11:12 AM
Some insurance companies, like USAA, don't cover motorcycles, so they refer you to Progressive, which I don't want. So, I've been sticking with State Farm for decades and their motorcycle (2 wheel and 3 wheel) has been very reasonable. Rates have gone up slightly on all vehicles since we turned 70.

RinconRyder
11-01-2017, 11:47 AM
There are way too many variables to compare insurance rates one person/ZIP code to another.

Years with motorcycle license (experience)
Past claims
Credit rating
Coverage (full/partial or in cold weather states partial years coverage?)
Collective risk (claims in your area for your ride in general)
Number of miles ridden
Type and model of ride
Other vehicles or home also covered on same policy?
Marital status
Ride usage (commute or pleasure riding only)
Riders age(s) and gender
ZIP of residence
Vehicle garaged or not?
Theft device on ride (and no, the gun in your closet does not count)
Company competition in your area (less competition means higher rates for you)

And there are probably others I can't think of at the moment. That said, after extensive research in my area I found Geico was the cheapest for full coverage. I carry Allstate on home and cars and they were the cheapest for those policies. They were way expensive for the Spyder. Your mileage will vary!

UtahPete
11-01-2017, 11:52 AM

Who did you ask? This is flat-out not true.

adzgrrrl
11-01-2017, 02:38 PM
@adzgrrl What did you finally get?

We ended up staying with Allstate. They had much better rates overall on home, auto and motorcycle combined. It just peeved me that my spyder was so much more than the Indian. :shocked:

adzgrrrl
11-01-2017, 02:42 PM
must be the area you are in , just did last night , check into other insurance , progressive was 1400 a year the chieftain,and the spyder , went to foremost insurance , they were 600 cheaper { plus they put in non-insured accident , and about the same coverage progressive had } but with foremost , a cheaper deductible ... you might need to move here for insurance , both of you guys ! :p

our progressive policy for the chieftain and spyder was $2800. CRAZY! That's what threw up red flags and caused us to jump ship.

timeless
11-01-2017, 02:46 PM
and was paying almost $1500.00 a year for my 2010 RTSE5, I switched to Gieco and now my payments are $13.60/month. The big ticket in Michigan is the "no fault" requirement.
I am now in Florida and they do not require insurance for motorcycles, thus the lower insurance costs.

HankD
11-01-2017, 03:56 PM
Insurance is just strange...I live in the same city as adzgrrrl and use Geico. No MSF course for me. I have a 2017 RT-S and mid-range coverage as follows:

Bodily Injury Liability
Property Damage Liability
Uninsured Motorist
Comprehensive
Collision
Towing and Labor

I pay $702/year....which I felt was "reasonable". The Collision coverage makes up over 1/2 of the total. I went with $1,000 on the Comprehensive and Collision deductible's because that made the most sense for me.

RinconRyder
11-02-2017, 12:12 AM
I am in the process of adding another bike to my livery and thought it would be interesting to ask for a quote in addition to the RTL I have now. I currently pay Geico $407 for full coverage on the RTL. If I add a 2016 Yamaha FJR1300AC to the policy it increases by a bit over $300/year.

So the Yammie is slightly less expensive to insure than the Spyder all other things being equal. The only specific item that stands out between them is the more expensive collision for the Spyder - probably due to all the tupperware and/or the cost of repairing a lay-down.

The Yammie is roughly worth half of what the Spyder is.

johnsimion
11-03-2017, 08:47 PM
I have a USAA umbrella policy, so I have to use their partner, Progressive. I went from a 2017 BMW F700GS to a 2017 Spyder RT. Both were new this year and both had the exact same coverages and deductibles. The Spyder costs about 1/3 more to insure than the BMW, but that's understandable since it cost twice as much and has a lot more size and power.

CrashDavis
11-04-2017, 04:19 PM
I have a USAA umbrella policy, so I have to use their partner, Progressive.

I have an USAA umbrella policy (they actually pawned it of to someone else like they do their bike insurance) but I'm not required to have Progressive (I have Markel). My only requirements are minimums on my deductibles and liability.

MisterP
11-04-2017, 06:12 PM
Here’s an interesting twist — I called Geico to tell them I am now divorced. They raised my premium $111. When I asked why I was told statistics show recently divorced males become more reckless. Really? I am 63 with a perfect driving record. Might need to make some phone calls.

IdahoMtnSpyder
11-04-2017, 09:15 PM
I really don't know how it is now compared to 50, and maybe 25, years ago, but way back then I concluded that insurance was the one item that the more honest you are in giving information, the higher the cost. The insurance industry pricing policies encourage dishonesty! :banghead:

spyderjeffrey
11-05-2017, 09:21 AM
I pay 245.00 a year on my 2013 sts from Geico in Pennsylvania .:spyder:

Deanna777
11-05-2017, 06:25 PM
I have Geico insurance & and I pay $ 500.00 ( 12 month premium) and I have a 2014 RTS-SE6, no claims. Been with Geico for 5 years until present.

Deanna