PDA

View Full Version : Bad weekend for the Can Am

Questions
05-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Hello all,

Had my first major issue on the Spyder on Saturday. The girlfriend and I were about 20 minutes from home, and as we went through a right hand turn the bike went into "limp home mode". I had several codes flashing across the screen:

Limp home mode
Check DPS
ABS Fault
something about VSS
As soon as this happened, I pulled off to a parking lot to check the relays. All seemed fine, but I pulled them and plugged them back in anyways. Went to leave to get the bike home and the bike drove fine for about 2 miles, then it went back to limp mode with the same errors. Also felt like the power steering stopped working, but couldn't be positive. Dropped off the girlfriend at home to grab a car, and took it directly to the dealer about 5 miles from home.

Dealer is quite large, but much to my surprise they didn't have anyone there who could look at the bike. I was told that both the qualified mechanics were off that day, and they would have them look at it Monday. The one gentlemen at the service department told me that he had seen the same error messages on another spyder last year, and it ended up being an "angle" sensor. Hope to hear back from they today (its getting late) to see when I can get it fixed and back in the garage where it belongs.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Just my luck... the bike breaks down the first nice weekend we had all year. As I'm sitting here typing, its beautiful out and perfect biking weather. Hope the dealer calls as they said they would!

Thanks
:chat:

smokster
05-04-2009, 06:23 PM
Hello all,

Had my first major issue on the Spyder on Saturday. The girlfriend and I were about 20 minutes from home, and as we went through a right hand turn the bike went into "limp home mode". I had several codes flashing across the screen:

Limp home mode
Check DPS
ABS Fault
something about VSS
As soon as this happened, I pulled off to a parking lot to check the relays. All seemed fine, but I pulled them and plugged them back in anyways. Went to leave to get the bike home and the bike drove fine for about 2 miles, then it went back to limp mode with the same errors. Also felt like the power steering stopped working, but couldn't be positive. Dropped off the girlfriend at home to grab a car, and took it directly to the dealer about 5 miles from home.

Dealer is quite large, but much to my surprise they didn't have anyone there who could look at the bike. I was told that both the qualified mechanics were off that day, and they would have them look at it Monday. The one gentlemen at the service department told me that he had seen the same error messages on another spyder last year, and it ended up being an "angle" sensor. Hope to hear back from they today (its getting late) to see when I can get it fixed and back in the garage where it belongs.

Just my luck... the bike breaks down the first nice weekend we had all year. As I'm sitting here typing, its beautiful out and perfect biking weather. Hope the dealer calls as they said they would!

Thanks
replace the relays and put some foam on the top to make them more snug

FANG
05-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Similar situation in March - had to replace angle sensor then eventually the command module. good luck with the fix.:gaah:

Questions
05-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Thanks for the reply. How long did it take to get your bike back?

JJ

Badasz
05-04-2009, 09:19 PM
I haven't had a problem yet but were are these relays :dontknow: so I know where there at and can have a spare on hand :helpsmilie:

Trumpybob
05-05-2009, 05:37 AM
Hello all,

Limp home mode
Check DPS
ABS Fault
something about VSS

Thanks

I had this problem, with the same errors showing. The major problem was that I was about 1500Kms from home, and 300Kms from nearest dealer. Turned out to be the Vehicle Control Module.
Click on link for full story http://www.spydertalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9641 This is from the Australian Forum

Bob

Questions
05-05-2009, 02:29 PM
I haven't had a problem yet but were are these relays :dontknow: so I know where there at and can have a spare on hand :helpsmilie:

Under the hood there is a small plastic cover in the top section. Underneath you will see the relays and some fuses.

JJ

Roaddog2
05-05-2009, 06:13 PM
I haven't had a problem yet but were are these relays :dontknow: so I know where there at and can have a spare on hand :helpsmilie:Get out of Highbay and walk across to the Machine shop and if you bring me a soda I will tell you were the relays are :ohyea::spyder2::ani29: