PDA

View Full Version : Snowmobile trailer for hauling

Semper Fi
07-20-2017, 09:10 AM
I have a question that I need an answer to that will help me out for the long haul. I have an old snowmobile trailer that I have converted and used for hauling every and anything we have ever needed to haul. We live in PA right now and are getting ready to move to Carson City Nevada. Will the trailer hold up to the long haul, with the Spyder and other things loaded onto it? I was told that I should trade or sell that trailer and get another one because, the little tires on this one would not hold up to the distance. I was also told that the bearings would get so hot that, the heat will destroy them. What do you guys think?
This is the trailer doing the hauling:
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m201/semperfi_03/2001%20Cherokee/0720170955b.jpg (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/semperfi_03/media/2001%20Cherokee/0720170955b.jpg.html)
The Spyder we will be hauling:
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m201/semperfi_03/2001%20Cherokee/0720170955a.jpg (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/semperfi_03/media/2001%20Cherokee/0720170955a.jpg.html)
The Jeep that will be doing the hauling:
http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m201/semperfi_03/0720170955.jpg (http://s105.photobucket.com/user/semperfi_03/media/0720170955.jpg.html)

Bob Denman
07-20-2017, 09:13 AM
Riding your Spyder up onto that would be an adventure best to avoid... nojoke
Trade it in, and get a trailer that's built for the task!

dpetrick
07-20-2017, 09:24 AM
If you have good tires and service the trailer wheel bearings, you should be fine, if you do not exceed the rated capacity of the trailer. I have trailered boats, and pulled campers and motorcycle trailers. With good tires and lubing the trailer wheel bearings, I have no had issues with bearings overheating, and the campers have had small wheels. Watch your speed and travel according to road conditions. There was one stretch of interstate 90, in Minnesota, where we could only go 55mph, because the pavement was so rough it caused the camper to bounce. By going slow it was smooth. We towed our pop up camper from western Iowa to Virginia Beach, up to DC and back with no issues. I had the wheel bearings repacked before the trip.
You would have to add a ramp and tie downs for the Spyder.

DrewNJ
07-20-2017, 09:52 AM
Most snowmobile trailers are 1500lb trailers. Distance doesn't mean anything. Make sure your bearings and tires are in good order and have a safe trip.
You'll have to figure out your ramp situation. The convex aluminum ramps do the job. Cut down the middle ramp for the back wheel to help clear the nose of the Spyder.
I have an old jetski trailer converted to a flatbed trailer that pulls the Spyder great I use when I don't want to pull the 16' enclosed trailer. A good friend used a Triton snowmobile trailer (same ramp setup) for years as well.

Mazo EMS2
07-20-2017, 10:03 AM
As mentioned above, you'll be fine as long as the bearings are packed with good bearing grease, and the tires are in good shape with proper pressure. Just check the bearings when you stop for gas to make sure they aren't overheating.

Rob Rodriguez
07-20-2017, 10:16 AM
I pulled a similar trailer with 2 sleds on it from Vermont to Colorado and everywhere in between. No issues. Just be sure your bearings are greased. I made a habit of giving the bearings a a few shots of grease at each gas fill up.

I've used the trailer for my Spyder as well. No issues other than the front nose hitting the deck on load and unload.

Semper Fi
07-20-2017, 04:03 PM
I thank you for all of the answers you guys gave! I have the ramps all figured out, I loaded it on there several times already. The bearings I have repacked with grease and, put about 1/2 tube of grease in the axles when I had the bearings out. I am looking forward to the move!

Tomline
07-20-2017, 04:22 PM
I thank you for all of the answers you guys gave! I have the ramps all figured out, I loaded it on there several times already. The bearings I have repacked with grease and, put about 1/2 tube of grease in the axles when I had the bearings out. I am looking forward to the move!
"CHECK AT EVERY FUEL STOP", "EVERY LETS EAT STOP," "EVERY TIME FOR BEDDY BYE/ NIGHTY NITE STOP!" It shouldn't take 5 minutes to do it each of these stops. Better to be SAFE than SORRY! Burnt bearings &/or axle damage will tie you up a lot longer! I've been travelling from Maine to Florida & back for 12 years and have never had an issue!

jaherbst
07-20-2017, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1281888]Riding your Spyder up onto that would be an adventure best to avoid... nojoke
Trade it in, and get a trailer that's built for the task![/QUOTE

Not so fast there "Insurance breath" (respectfully). Snow mobile trailers are the best to haul any Motorsport. They are a tilt trailer and you can ride anything on it (slowly). When you get just a little past center it will slowly come down and lock in place. I hauled snowmobiles, motorcycles etc. on mine and loved it. I would replace and pack the bearings with a good grade. I would not haul anymore weight than the manufacturer recommends. I would suggest 1 Spyder for the trip. Do not over load it and it will be fine for the long haul.

I have made several trips from MSP to SEA with two Harleys and no problem on my snowmobile trailer. Very easy load and unload.

​Jack

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-20-2017, 06:23 PM
[QUOTE=Bob Denman;1281888]Riding your Spyder up onto that would be an adventure best to avoid... nojoke
Trade it in, and get a trailer that's built for the task![/QUOTE

Not so fast there "Insurance breath" (respectfully). Snow mobile trailers are the best to haul any Motorsport. They are a tilt trailer and you can ride anything on it (slowly). When you get just a little past center it will slowly come down and lock in place. I hauled snowmobiles, motorcycles etc. on mine and loved it. I would replace and pack the bearings with a good grade. I would not haul anymore weight than the manufacturer recommends. I would suggest 1 Spyder for the trip. Do not over load it and it will be fine for the long haul.

I have made several trips from MSP to SEA with two Harleys and no problem on my snowmobile trailer. Very easy load and unload.

​Jack
:agree: with Jack on this one :banghead::banghead::banghead: ..... I've used it to tow a Spyder a few times in the past .... and as Jack said the tilt feature can be a big plus IF you use it properly................jmho..... Mike :thumbup:

NautiBrit
07-20-2017, 10:35 PM
Check the age of your tires. They wear like iron, but fail due to age. Invest in a spare.