PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Wiring Trouble

shroth
07-18-2017, 09:24 AM
STILL working on getting the RT-622 trailer lights to work right with my car. BRP says no recall for the ground wiring.

The dealer converted the wiring to 4 wire square with an OEM cable when I bought my F3. Weird stuff going on so.........anyone know the part number for the ground adapter??

Thanks for any help you can give.........

trikermutha
07-18-2017, 10:11 AM
I sent that to you on your other post and the RT622 manual shows your wiring setup for that trailer.

send me your email I can send you the PDF manual

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?17705-Trailer-Plug-Color-Code-Plug-for-RT&p=1280999#post1280999

They are grounding the trailer to the ball and hitch on the original setup. The ground harness is hardwired to the bike thru the harness. see above link

The ground harness mounts under the trailer and you will have to clear off some powder coat to get a better ground to the trailer too

shroth
07-18-2017, 06:46 PM
Thanks for your patience.....so many trailer post I had trouble getting back to yours
:)

I sent that to you on your other post and the RT622 manual shows your wiring setup for that trailer.

send me your email I can send you the PDF manual

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?17705-Trailer-Plug-Color-Code-Plug-for-RT&p=1280999#post1280999

They are grounding the trailer to the ball and hitch on the original setup. The ground harness is hardwired to the bike thru the harness. see above link

The ground harness mounts under the trailer and you will have to clear off some powder coat to get a better ground to the trailer too

shroth
07-19-2017, 05:53 AM
Ordered the ground upgrade kit this morning. The cost of this great idea of mine just keeps going up! :sour: It should arrive before my 7/27 appointment with my local trainer shop.

Again.....many thanks. If you want to send the PDF of the manual my email is steve@photosbyroth.com

If there's a way I can return your kindness, don't be afraid to ask.

Steve

Thanks for your patience.....so many trailer post I had trouble getting back to yours
:)

trikermutha
07-19-2017, 09:40 AM
Ordered the ground upgrade kit this morning. The cost of this great idea of mine just keeps going up! :sour: It should arrive before my 7/27 appointment with my local trainer shop.

Again.....many thanks. If you want to send the PDF of the manual my email is steve@photosbyroth.com

If there's a way I can return your kindness, don't be afraid to ask.

Steve

Check your email..I just sent you the file.

Copperman
07-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Ordered the ground upgrade kit this morning.

Steve

OK, this is all confusing to me.

My wife recently bought a 2010 RT622 trailer to pull behind her 2016 F3 Limited. There is a flat four pin connector wired in (The nine pin was cut off and a four pin was soldered on.). I use a "jumper" I made a few years ago that goes from a flat four pin to a square four pin to connect to the F3L. How can I tell if it's properly grounded? All the trailer lights (brake, running, turn signals) work like they're supposed to.

What is this "Ground Upgrade Kit" and where does it plug in to? That connector doesn't appear to be the same as what's on her 2010 trailer.

billybovine
07-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Let see if I got this straight. The RT622 trailer lights do not work with your car. By that statement it works with your Spyder.
Why would you blame the trailer?

Then when you asked about the ground improvement recall. BRP tells you that you don't need it for your trailer. So that means it was already done or a later model that already has it. So you order a ground upgrade kit anyway.
Why would you need two ground upgrade kits installed?

billybovine
07-19-2017, 10:34 AM

My wife recently bought a 2010 RT622 trailer to pull behind her 2016 F3 Limited. There is a flat four pin connector wired in (The nine pin was cut off and a four pin was soldered on.). I use a "jumper" I made a few years ago that goes from a flat four pin to a square four pin to connect to the F3L. How can I tell if it's properly grounded? All the trailer lights (brake, running, turn signals) work like they're supposed to.

What is this "Ground Upgrade Kit" and where does it plug in to? That connector doesn't appear to be the same as what's on her 2010 trailer.

Call your dealer and ask them to look up if your trailer has an outstanding warranty/recall. Have your trailer vin number on hand. The dealer will need that.

trikermutha
07-19-2017, 10:35 AM

That connector is under the trailer for a 2012..Not sure about a 2010 but could be the same. Unhook you trailer from the hitch ball when powered up and see if the lights go out?

The modules on the Spyder were getting toasted because of the missing ground harness and using the hitch and ball as a ground

Copperman
07-19-2017, 11:47 AM
That connector is under the trailer for a 2012..Not sure about a 2010 but could be the same. Unhook you trailer from the hitch ball when powered up and see if the lights go out?

The modules on the Spyder were getting toasted because of the missing ground harness and using the hitch and ball as a ground

Thanks for the quick response.

On the 2010 trailer the connector is also under the trailer. It's just a different connector (more holes than the one shown).

I just connected the trailer lights without the trailer being hooked up. All the trailer lights worked correctly. Does that mean it's properly grounded?

trikermutha
07-19-2017, 12:51 PM
Does yours have the reverse lights when the spyder is put in reverse?

Copperman
07-19-2017, 02:08 PM
Does yours have the reverse lights when the spyder is put in reverse?

No, but the amber turn signal lights flash with the brake lights and red signal lights.

shroth
07-26-2017, 02:57 PM
Not to beat this to death but maybe to save someone else some trouble.........................

In my reading on this issue, someone mentioned that they found the 4 flat to 4 square cable from Wesbar was not wired properly. I have to totally agree!!! The parking light wire & right turn wire were reversed. Found it the day before I resorted to a trailer shop.

Thank you to everyone who offered advice & put up with my whining. Spyder Ryders are the best!!!