PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine - - Limp Home Mode

A1A
07-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Left the house this morning real early. I was going for a ryde with the NE Florida Spyder Ryders and then have breakfast as a group. I got about 5 miles from the house. When the check engine light came on and started flashing. Pretty soon the Limp Home Mode and the Check Engine both started flashing. I turned around and took the Spyder home and parked it. Jumped on my Harley Dyna Switchback and joined up with the Spyder group. We had a nice ryde and a wonderful breakfast together. Anyway when I got home I checked the engine oil level - it was ok. Removed the gas cap a little pressure escaped but it seems - ok as well. Spyder serviced by Dealer at 15,000 miles two months ago.
So now I'm at the point that I'd like to check my 2014 RTL-SE6 (16,400 miles) for fault codes. I've never done this and would appreciate any help to accomplish the proper code procedure.

Thank you,

Richard

Stayfree
07-16-2017, 02:28 PM
Left the house this morning real early. I was going for a ryde with the NE Florida Spyder Ryders and then have breakfast as a group. I got about 5 miles from the house. When the check engine light came on and started flashing. Pretty soon the Limp Home Mode and the Check Engine both started flashing. I turned around and took the Spyder home and parked it. Jumped on my Harley Dyna Switchback and joined up with the Spyder group. We had a nice ryde and a wonderful breakfast together. Anyway when I got home I checked the engine oil level - it was ok. Removed the gas cap a little pressure escaped but it seems - ok as well. Spyder serviced by Dealer at 15,000 miles two months ago.
So now I'm at the point that I'd like to check my 2014 RTL-SE6 (16,400 miles) for fault codes. I've never done this and would appreciate any help to accomplish the proper code procedure.

Thank you,

Richard

Hello from Fort Pierce. I have a 2014 RTS and the first time I got the Check Engine and Limp Home Mode I was only about 200 yards from work. I spun around and went back, pulled into the shop and started looking for the cause. After a bit I had found nothing obvious, oil, coolant, etc., so I restarted and was unable to get the lights back. Since I have a huge lot at work I started riding there and really hammering trying to get something to fail. After about 30 minutes of severe handling practice, which is something we all need to do once in a while, I still had no problems so I rode home and everything was fine. This has happened a couple of other times and I stopped, shut off the engine and restarted with no problems.

Since a quick 're-boot' cleared the lights and there were no performance issues I don't worry about it. Try the restart and if the lights stay off it was probably just a 'gremlin'. If a restart shows the same problem you'll likely need to have something fixed, otherwise I suspect something as simple as a pothole may have pissed off Nanny.

Max

jtoro1
07-16-2017, 02:56 PM
Download the Spider codes app on your smartphone it's has all the codes and how to pull them

A1A
07-16-2017, 03:09 PM
Hello from Fort Pierce. I have a 2014 RTS and the first time I got the Check Engine and Limp Home Mode I was only about 200 yards from work. I spun around and went back, pulled into the shop and started looking for the cause. After a bit I had found nothing obvious, oil, coolant, etc., so I restarted and was unable to get the lights back. Since I have a huge lot at work I started riding there and really hammering trying to get something to fail. After about 30 minutes of severe handling practice, which is something we all need to do once in a while, I still had no problems so I rode home and everything was fine. This has happened a couple of other times and I stopped, shut off the engine and restarted with no problems.

Since a quick 're-boot' cleared the lights and there were no performance issues I don't worry about it. Try the restart and if the lights stay off it was probably just a 'gremlin'. If a restart shows the same problem you'll likely need to have something fixed, otherwise I suspect something as simple as a pothole may have pissed off Nanny.

Max

Thanks Max, Yes I started the engine 3 or 4 different times. But the Check Engine - Limp Home Mode still comes up. That's when I thought it would be easier just to check for the engine fault code.

Cheers

Richard

A1A
07-16-2017, 03:16 PM
Download the Spider codes app on your smartphone it's has all the codes and how to pull them

Hi jtoro1,
Thank you for your response my friend. But I still haven't joined the 21st century, I don't own a cell or smartphone. Just to old and set in my ways I guess.

Cheers

Richard

billybovine
07-16-2017, 03:16 PM
With the fault still active. Press the mode, set and turn cancel. All at the same time.

A1A
07-16-2017, 04:44 PM
With the fault still active. Press the mode, set and turn cancel. All at the same time.

Thank you billybovine, I pulled up the Code P0340 - CamShaft Position Sensor Fault. So I guess its safe to ryde 10 miles in Limp Home Mode to the Dealer. I appreciate your response and the procedure to pull up the fault code.:clap:

Cheers

Richard