PDA

View Full Version : I'm off to..

draboo
05-03-2009, 03:36 PM
install NMN s risers.

Had to wait a few days for new gel grips.

I ll let ch'all know if the ease of installation was :clap::2thumbs::thumbup:

or if it was :yikes::gaah::cus:

or somewhere in between..:D

Roaddog2
05-03-2009, 03:58 PM
:popcorn::thumbup:

draboo
05-04-2009, 10:32 AM
After taking off a few panels looking for slack, I can say this:

The only trouble I had was finding slack for the reverse cable and the clutch switch wiring.

The reverse cable was routed from its source(the lower LEFT side of the machine) underneath the engine and up the right side and to the handlebars. I have no idea why BRP did that, except possibly to keep it away from the hot exhaust pipe. After I rerouted this cable, which took about an hour of :cus: and a few bandaids,I had more than enough slack. The cable does need to be tiewrapped away from the exhaust.

The second PITA was the clutch safety switch wiring,also on the left handebar. I had a helluva time getting the switch disconnected from the handlebars. I gotta get some stronger cheap "cheater" glasses. :shocked:. Then I had fun trying to get slack in this wiring. I thought it was tiewrapped way down inside behind the instrument panel. I spotted a tiewrap way down there and suspected it to be holding the wiring, but I couldnt reach it with any tool I had available without further disassembly. Since I already had Spydieparts strewn about I wasnt too thrilled about that prospect.

Sooo.. I stuffed the clutch wiring backwards till I got a loop from underneath the inverted metal channel which all the wiring ran underneath of and gently pulled on the wiring. The 'Gods were with me' and from somewhere in the bowels behind the instrument panel, about a foot more wiring appeared in my grateful mitts!!:thumbup:

I got the handlebars on and set at a 45deg angle. I was doing this at my cousins house because of her husbands over abundance of pretty any tool you can think of. I didnt get all back together, for I am doggie sitting and have to make sure Bob"TammyFae" Barker gets his poo-poo time last night.

Finding the slack in these two items were the only really snags I ran into.

A big THANKS,EH? goes out to Lamonster for his thread on this in the "How to" section,which I read a few dozen times before I dived into this project.

Hopefully, this will eliminate my hands going "dead" after a half hour of riding.

Happy Motoring!

Brad

Lamonster
05-04-2009, 11:29 AM
:congrats:

Al Bragg
05-04-2009, 11:33 AM
:2thumbs: I put on the 3 inch NMN riserz for QUACKERZ a few weeks ago. :agree: Thanks to Lamontster for his how to's.

bjt
05-04-2009, 02:10 PM
:thumbup:

8LEGS
05-04-2009, 06:50 PM
:clap::2thumbs:

Major Finder
05-04-2009, 08:43 PM
I had almost the exact same experience Saturday as I installed my NMN 4 inch risers except I used my son's 21 year old eyes for some of the details. My son also reinstalled the rubber piece on top because I ended up swearing at it and stuffing it inside.

I rode almost 200 miles after installing the risers at a 45 degree angle and LOVED the experience! It was pleasant, no vibration, comfortable sitting and steering, extra steering torque, and extremely satisfying. I rode another 200 miles Sunday and it reconfirmed that installing the risers was a terrific decision and worth rerouting the reverse cable like you described. Awesome riding.

Major Finder

draboo
05-04-2009, 10:45 PM
I had almost the exact same experience Saturday as I installed my NMN 4 inch risers except I used my son's 21 year old eyes for some of the details. My son also reinstalled the rubber piece on top because I ended up swearing at it and stuffing it inside.
Major Finder

Ah yes, that rubber thingy with the two rivets. That took a bit of finn-aggilling to get back in place.

I m looking forward to taking a longer ride to see how this setup works. It was about a 12 mile ride home, so I didnt get much time to experiment. I did notice a few times the faithful "nanny" kicked in while cornering. This isnt a common experience for me, so I m blaming the better handling characteristics of the risers that allowed me to corner a bit faster, thus waking up the ol' hag!! Time to readjust my shocks!:D