PDA

View Full Version : never ending new car story.

cuznjohn
07-11-2017, 10:59 AM
so the voltage keeps going from 12 1/2 volts to over 14 volts. if i take my foot off the gas, the volts go up. if i put my foot on the gas, the volts go down. every now and then, i get in the car and all my settings are changed. so instead of talking on the phone, they now want to e mail me. so we have been doing that. the other day i am parking the car and turning it off. the drivers seat moves forward and down, and i am set up against the steering wheel. i had to move the seat back so i could get out. so with that i wrote a nasty e mail yesterday. i told them if they can't find out what the problem is, i am calling GMC and starting a riot.

i get a call yesterday to come in today at 9 am. so i go. they take the car right in and then about a 1/2 hour later come and bring me more papers. now i have the service writer and the shop foreman. one paper shows the voltage is set to go from 12 volts to 15 volts. that is what they call a saver circuit. then they tell me they just learned something they didn't know. it seems that lots of settings go through the big radio. and there is a software problem with the radio that there is no fix yet. this causes the radio to loose all the settings, and also controls the settings for the electric seats and other stuff. so once there is a cure, they will let me know. what happened to the old days where we could fix almost anything

Bob Denman
07-11-2017, 11:02 AM
:shocked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSospSmAGL4

Machinegunner
07-11-2017, 11:08 AM
Isn't technology great. We used to have separate switches that controlled a particular item. If the switch failed, everything else still worked. Kind of like when a brake light burns out the whole bike goes to limp mode. Too bad there isn't an app for your smart phone that could override the radio in your car and fix it.

Bob Denman
07-11-2017, 11:16 AM
If you can get the right mechanic to work on your car: anything is possible! :clap: :2thumbs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_MsaVbbWBSQ

So quit "Monkeying around", with the problems! :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

PrairieSpyder
07-11-2017, 11:49 AM
so the voltage keeps going from 12 1/2 volts to over 14 volts. if i take my foot off the gas, the volts go up. if i put my foot on the gas, the volts go down. every now and then, i get in the car and all my settings are changed. so instead of talking on the phone, they now want to e mail me. so we have been doing that. the other day i am parking the car and turning it off. the drivers seat moves forward and down, and i am set up against the steering wheel. i had to move the seat back so i could get out. so with that i wrote a nasty e mail yesterday. i told them if they can't find out what the problem is, i am calling GMC and starting a riot.

i get a call yesterday to come in today at 9 am. so i go. they take the car right in and then about a 1/2 hour later come and bring me more papers. now i have the service writer and the shop foreman. one paper shows the voltage is set to go from 12 volts to 15 volts. that is what they call a saver circuit. then they tell me they just learned something they didn't know. it seems that lots of settings go through the big radio. and there is a software problem with the radio that there is no fix yet. this causes the radio to loose all the settings, and also controls the settings for the electric seats and other stuff. so once there is a cure, they will let me know. what happened to the old days where we could fix almost anything

If they haven't seen this problem yet, I'd think it's specific to your car. Get them to replace the computer that's causing the problem. Or report it as a lemon.

vided
07-11-2017, 01:55 PM
If they haven't seen this problem yet, I'd think it's specific to your car. Get them to replace the computer that's causing the problem. Or report it as a lemon.

:agree: Sure makes sense that it's your car, new radio and new computer

ARtraveler
07-11-2017, 01:58 PM
Sorry folks, but now you know why I have never bought or leased a new GM product. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-11-2017, 02:15 PM
You drive a Subaru; don't you? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLPp-NFInXw

cuznjohn
07-11-2017, 02:24 PM
i forgot to tell you guy today. my friend bill that has 14 bikes, well he has a special Honda that is set up for track racing. well they were in NJ this weekend doing time runs and he had a accident. he had what they call a HIGH SIDED WRECK. i never knew what it was till i looked it up. it happened at around 80 MPH and he broke several ribs and something with one of his feet. he is not in the hospital and they are waiting for the swelling on one of his toes to go down so they can operate on it.
if you don't know what kind of accident it is, here is what i found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2bOZL9xOlA

Bob Denman
07-11-2017, 02:28 PM
Ouch!
You start to lose the front end.. and it catches! :yikes:
That picks you up over the bike, and launches you into the back of an ambulance. nojoke

I hope that he heals up okay!

ARtraveler
07-11-2017, 02:32 PM
You drive a Subaru; don't you? :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLPp-NFInXw

Yes I do. Been a Subaru owner since 2001. I like newest and best so I usually upgrade every couple years. I am currently on #7. :yes: PS--I don't think I would have bought the one in the ad. :roflblack::roflblack: Like the $1,299 price though. :bowdown:

Bob Denman
07-11-2017, 02:34 PM
But I'll bet that if you still had it buried in the back of your garage: it'd be worth WAY more than the selling price! :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
07-11-2017, 03:27 PM
Ouch!
You start to lose the front end.. and it catches! :yikes:
That picks you up over the bike, and launches you into the back of an ambulance. nojoke

I hope that he heals up okay!

Can't that happen when you use too much front brake, compared to the back and the back tries to keep going?

Though in a race-track situation there's other ways to lose traction.

Bob Denman
07-11-2017, 05:06 PM
If you use too much front brake: that can stand the front end up; resulting in a high side crash.
Low-side wrecks are easy to diagnose, when you lose the back end in a corner...
Watch this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx2J4o4qr00

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-11-2017, 07:23 PM
John, what kind of car is this?

cuznjohn
07-11-2017, 07:42 PM
John, what kind of car is this?

2017 GMC ACARDIA DENALI

mowin
07-11-2017, 08:01 PM
My Ram had the same issue. Everything ran through the radio. Radio settings would be changed, trailer brake controller setting all messed up. Didn't change the seats, there manual. Radio would even change stations while I was driving. Drove me nuts. Dealer had to order a new radio unit. No issues once they swapped it out.

cognaccruiser
07-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Sorry folks, but now you know why I have never bought or leased a new GM product. :thumbup:

My last one was a 1983 GMC Jimmy. I swore I would never buy another GM product and to this day I've kept my word. Yes, I know all people have their likes and dislikes and good and bad experiences with different brands but sell me a POS and I'll carry a grudge to my death. Same with Jeep. Loved my 2005 Subaru Outback.

Gary

cuznjohn
07-12-2017, 11:33 AM
If you use too much front brake: that can stand the front end up; resulting in a high side crash.
Low-side wrecks are easy to diagnose, when you lose the back end in a corner...
Watch this one:

just got back from seeing my friend, 3 broken ribs on his right side, and 5 broken toes on his left foot. surgery for one toe on Friday, the rest will heal by itself. also one destroyed one piece leather suit, and a totaled full face helmet.

Bob Denman
07-12-2017, 11:36 AM
I'm glad to hear that his safety gear did it's job, and that'll he'll "live to fight another day." :thumbup:
Give him our best wishes for a full and rapid recovery!

UtahPete
07-12-2017, 06:28 PM
If you use too much front brake: that can stand the front end up; resulting in a high side crash. Low-side wrecks are easy to diagnose, when you lose the back end in a corner...Watch this one:

I've watched this several times and still can't figure what made his front wheel goes skeewhampus like that.

Peter Aawen
07-12-2017, 07:15 PM
I've watched this several times and still can't figure what made his front wheel goes skeewhampus like that.

As he powered thru the corner, probably getting onto the throttle a touch early cos he could see the other bike pulling away, his tail end wheel started sliding out (probably cos he had a touch too much throttle wound on) so he steered into the skid (as you should!) but he didn't back off the throttle enough & the back wheel slid ALL the way out - resulting in a Classic Low-side prang!! ;)

Sometimes, High side prangs can start out exactly the same way, with the tail hanging out due to too much power, then when the rider has dialed in some opposite lock/has steered into the skid a bit & maybe backs off on the throttle (it could be a bit too much or too quickly either way) the rear end SUDDENLY re-gains traction & that grip tries to drive the bike straight ahead in relation to the rear wheel, only that's now virtually at 90 degrees to where the front wheel is aimed/rolling, so it can't do that, & the bike flips arse up over the crossed up front wheel & the rider gets tossed over the high side of the slide/bike & gets slammed into the ground at all the velocity the back wheel & the slingshot effect the bike can impart!! :yikes:

Whatever causes them, a Low-side prang is when the rider comes off the Low side of the bike/slide, & is often more 'pride damaging' than much else; while a High-side prang is when the rider goes over the bike the long way, ie, on the High side, & those types of prangs are far more likely to result in fairly significant injuries, especially if the rider tries to break their fall with their hands &/or the bike slams down on top of the rider! :shocked: Either way, they aren't great & are best avoided!

Now that's outta the way, any good news on your car Cuzn? And I do hope your friend is OK & heals quickly - the real pain & bruising often takes a coupla days to set in! :sour:

UtahPete
07-12-2017, 07:44 PM
As he powered thru the corner, probably getting onto the throttle a touch early cos he could see the other bike pulling away, his tail end wheel started sliding out (probably cos he had a touch too much throttle wound on) so he steered into the skid (as you should!) but he didn't back off the throttle enough & the back wheel slid ALL the way out - resulting in a Classic Low-side prang!! ;)

Whatever causes them, a Low-side prang is when the rider comes off the Low side of the bike/slide, & is often more 'pride damaging' than much else; while a High-side prang is when the rider goes over the bike the long way, ie, on the High side, & those types of prangs are far more likely to result in fairly significant injuries, especially if the rider tries to break their fall with their hands &/or the bike slams down on top of the rider! :shocked: Either way, they aren't great & are best avoided!

Yeah, that's the only time I've crashed. On a Honda 450 entering a freeway off-ramp and hit an oil slick (back in the '70s when they were common). Low side all the way, broke my left elbow but not much else. I don't think my front wheel lifted like that but who knows at this point... my bike sure didn't have the power of that sport bike in the video for sure.