PDA

View Full Version : Using RT-622 Trailer

shroth
07-10-2017, 05:40 AM
My wife has a VW Beetle Convertible that we'd like to take on vacation. Let's just say that the trunk isn't huge ;). I was thinking of putting a hitch on her car & using it for luggage.

Has anyone else ever used it as a car trailer? I'm not really seeing any issues other than the wiring harness but I know someone in this group has done this or thought about it !!

Thanks for the help.......

trikermutha
07-10-2017, 07:13 AM
That's how I got my 622 home I used the car..

PrairieSpyder
07-10-2017, 08:42 AM
That's how I got my 622 home I used the car..

Same here. I pulled mine home with my PT Cruiser. But I had to change out the 2" ball for the 1 7/8" on my hitch.

trikermutha
07-10-2017, 08:44 AM
[QUOTE=PrairieSpyder;1278010]Same here. I pulled mine home with my PT Cruiser. But I had to change out the 2" ball for the 1 7/8" on my hitch.[/QUOTE

I have two receivers one for the 1-7/8 ball and the other with a 2" ball comes in handy and can use the trailer for a trip too if needed..:thumbup:

shroth
07-10-2017, 09:23 AM
What did you guys do about wiring? Is there an adapter or something?? Any ideas where to look?

BTW....thanks for the help so far. Bet this will get some looks between Buffalo & the Outer Banks :roflblack:

Chupaca
07-10-2017, 09:30 AM
150743 I would imagine the ball size and the wiring hook-up would be the only issue...:thumbup:

Brentc
07-10-2017, 09:40 AM
There is an adapter available from brp.

trikermutha
07-10-2017, 10:45 AM
What did you guys do about wiring? Is there an adapter or something?? Any ideas where to look?

BTW....thanks for the help so far. Bet this will get some looks between Buffalo & the Outer Banks :roflblack:

Mine was a 2012 622 trailer. it already had the 4 pin flat connector on it.. I just plugged it into my car harness.

YOu can make a adapter much cheaper than getting the BRP one if they still have one.

What 622 harness end do you have on yours?

shroth
07-10-2017, 03:24 PM
Mine is a 2012 trailer as well. When I bought my F3L 2 months ago, the dealer replaced the harness with the old round plug with a new square 4 pin one. So now I have to convert 4 flat to 4 square

Mine was a 2012 622 trailer. it already had the 4 pin flat connector on it.. I just plugged it into my car harness.

YOu can make a adapter much cheaper than getting the BRP one if they still have one.

What 622 harness end do you have on yours?

trikermutha
07-10-2017, 08:23 PM
Mine is a 2012 trailer as well. When I bought my F3L 2 months ago, the dealer replaced the harness with the old round plug with a new square 4 pin one. So now I have to convert 4 flat to 4 square

did they give your old one back??

And have you updated the ground on the trailer yet??

SpyderAnn01
07-10-2017, 10:50 PM
did they give your old one back??

And have you updated the ground on the trailer yet??

Yes upgrading that ground is very important.

shroth
07-11-2017, 05:41 AM
Hmmmm........upgrade the ground?? No idea. Took the old BRP cable out (which they kept) * put in a new BRP cable. no idea about the ground. Everything works fine.

Really want to use this trailer for the car.......but the electrical sort of scares me :)

Buckeye Bleau
07-11-2017, 06:01 AM

I hauled mine home just last month with my GMC Terraine, there were two issues.

1. The tongue is so short and trailer do smallyou cannot see it back there. I stopped at a Lowe's and bought one of those orange fiberglass pole that one would use to mark the driveway edges. I then used a couple zip ties to fix the pole to the trailer tongue, then I could see the pole wagging in the mirror, hence the trailer is still there.

2. My vehicle has a four prong flat connector the RT 622 was 4 square. There is a company named Wesbar that makes trailers lights and such, they actually make a harness converter for this. It is 4 flat on one end and 4 square on the other. The item looks to be about a foot long but it ends up being about 5 feet long.

A word of note, the one that I got had the green and brown leads wrong so I cut it, shortened it crossed the wires and heat shrunk the whole thing.

If if you cannot find the part number search for Wesbar on the www and give them a call for the number and a local dealer.

Joe

WA5VHU
07-11-2017, 08:12 AM
I hauled mine home just last month with my GMC Terraine, there were two issues.

1. The tongue is so short and trailer do smallyou cannot see it back there. I stopped at a Lowe's and bought one of those orange fiberglass pole that one would use to mark the driveway edges. I then used a couple zip ties to fix the pole to the trailer tongue, then I could see the pole wagging in the mirror, hence the trailer is still there...

Joe

I call them Whirlygiggers!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?84640-Brp-trailer-question&p=1022272&viewfull=1#post1022272

trikermutha
07-11-2017, 08:15 AM
Hmmmm........upgrade the ground?? No idea. Took the old BRP cable out (which they kept) * put in a new BRP cable. no idea about the ground. Everything works fine.

Really want to use this trailer for the car.......but the electrical sort of scares me :)

There is a ground kit that BRP sells or maybe under warranty. Check with your dealer. It is really easy to install. I would get one installed .

I will see if I can find the part number for the kit.

Bfromla
07-11-2017, 07:42 PM
Fyi you can DIY a flat to square harness from a trailer extension(premade with both ends of 4flat connectors $10) kit found at most auto part stores. I made mine simply by finding the male or female side you need & cut the other end in 1/2 with a box cutter keeping enough insulation around the connector. 150818
150819 Fyi mine is oppsite of what you described you need, as I needed the 4flat for another trailer at the time. I kept the two halves loose for ease of removing, but others have taped or heat shrink to fit shape. Sorry if pics dont show enough

Trailboss
07-11-2017, 07:51 PM
If the diameter of the trailer tires are smaller than the towing vehicle, just keep the hubs greased and stop every hour to feel the hubs to make sure they're not getting too hot. Like the other poster said, it's going to be hard to see the trailer while towing or backing up so a flag or pole is a good idea.