PDA

View Full Version : Sheepskin overlay on Seat

Tyris
07-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Have you tried it? What were the results? Where did you purchase?

Gunner3773
07-09-2017, 09:01 PM
My wife uses an Alaskan Leather sheepskin cover on her passenger seat. I actually ordered the cover for her when we had our Valkyrie Interstate. The passenger sheepskin for the Valkyrie fits the passenger seat on my 15 RT perfectly. She is very happy with the cover and can ride much longer with it.

When I ordered the cover, I called Alaskan Leather to get the exact pad for my Valkyrie. The gal on the phone was very helpful and knew exactly what I needed.

We have used the pad for probably about five years and it still looks new. My wife loves it.

For me, I use an Air Hawk.

https://alaskaleather.com/

Gunner

ARtraveler
07-09-2017, 10:00 PM
My wife uses an Alaskan Leather sheepskin cover on her passenger seat. I actually ordered the cover for her when we had our Valkyrie Interstate. The passenger sheepskin for the Valkyrie fits the passenger seat on my 15 RT perfectly. She is very happy with the cover and can ride much longer with it.

When I ordered the cover, I called Alaskan Leather to get the exact pad for my Valkyrie. The gal on the phone was very helpful and knew exactly what I needed.

We have used the pad for probably about five years and it still looks new. My wife loves it.

For me, I use an Air Hawk.

https://alaskaleather.com/

Gunner

Another vote for Alaska Leather sheepskin pad. I have two sheepskin gel pads (one for each bike). I was using mine in combination with an Airhawk in order to alleviate my hip pain. That has now been cured by surgery.

I used to sell leather goods and sheepskin seat covers for autos. Eventually we added custom MC seats. Natural sheepskin insulates from the heat and cold and gives a more comfortable ride. Don't leave them out or ride in the rain with them. They will soak it up. Watch out for fake or "simulated" sheepskin if you don't by the AK Leather ones. It may "look" like sheepskin at first, but will not have the qualities mentioned above as well as loss of its "body" with use. :thumbup:

Navydad
07-09-2017, 10:35 PM
Just like Gunner3773 my wife uses an Alaska Leather sheepskin and is happy with it. I use the Airhawk R up front.

cyclekid58
07-09-2017, 10:43 PM
Another vote for Alaska Leather sheepskin pad. I have two sheepskin gel pads (one for each bike). I was using mine in combination with an Airhawk in order to alleviate my hip pain. That has now been cured by surgery.

I used to sell leather goods and sheepskin seat covers for autos. Eventually we added custom MC seats. Natural sheepskin insulates from the heat and cold and gives a more comfortable ride. Don't leave them out or ride in the rain with them. They will soak it up. Watch out for fake or "simulated" sheepskin if you don't by the AK Leather ones. It may "look" like sheepskin at first, but will not have the qualities mentioned above as well as loss of its "body" with use. :thumbup:

What size do you use for the drivers seat on the RT?

canamjhb
07-09-2017, 10:43 PM
Another vote for Alaska Leather. I have been using it for 8-9 years on my Goldwing and transferred it to the Spyder. Took a little trimming but it's all good.

Fat Baxter
07-09-2017, 10:56 PM
Another vote for Alaska Leather. I got mine at a BMW rally and used it on my Beemer for about 10 years, then brought it forward to my present 2014 RT-S.

It's a bit weather-bleached, but still works great! I've thought about getting a custom seat, but to be quite frank, I don't really need one 'cause the sheepskin works so well.

And my cat loves it too!

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-09-2017, 11:53 PM
I lucked out , I got a pair of genuine sheepskin covers that were for a car at a garage sale $ 10.00 and they were large enough for four seats ...... they do work well in hot or cold weather ...... Mike :thumbup:

Bob Denman
07-10-2017, 06:43 AM
Misty Mountain... :yes::yes::yes:

http://www.mistymountainsheepskin.com/

tony63126
07-10-2017, 06:57 AM
I have had one for years. I do not know where I got throw.

Buckeye Bleau
07-10-2017, 07:08 AM
Like Bob, I completely endorse http://mistymountainsheepskin.com/ .

his website link is above but you have to call him for information and ordering. He attends some of our shows and also supports Spyder events.

He makes covers that are a perfect fit for your model and he guarantees your satisfaction, but most of all he is a great guy to talk to, I hope to meet him in person some day.

I got the RTL cover for Ryder and passenger, long wool and black.

The result was a little extra cushion, much cooler on hot days and even after a downpour it was not nearly as wet as I expected. :yikes: Also when you stop on a hot sunny day, the seat is still cool to the touch. He told me it will be warmer on cold days but I have had the opportunity to try that yet.

One other note, with the long wool it looks really cool on the Byke. :b2b:

Joe

oldgoat
07-10-2017, 08:12 AM
I bought a sheepskin cover & expected miracles. No difference.

Finally splurged & bought the BRP Comfort seat for my '08 GS. Like night & day compared to standard one.

IMO: if the seat is uncomfortable you need to change it.

cptjam
07-10-2017, 01:26 PM
We have Misty Mountain sheepskins. We like them very much. They work great in the hot weather.

MikeT
07-10-2017, 02:54 PM
Misty Mountain... :yes::yes::yes:

http://www.mistymountainsheepskin.com/

:agree: and so does the misses. Re-purposed our 2-Butt Buffers from our H-D riding days.

irvin48
07-10-2017, 03:17 PM
got 2 pieces of synthetic sheepskin on my part of the comfort seat. hospital
leftovers from my knee replacement. cut to fit and FREE. works good enough
for who its for.

chisel_maker
07-10-2017, 03:57 PM

Got mine from these people
http://sheepskinfactory.com/
Nice custom fit for the spyder
Love the comfort
Cool in the summer
Warm in the winter
Won't ride without it

Bob Denman
07-10-2017, 05:19 PM
I have had one for years. I do not know where I got throw.
Hey Tony!
You must have been REALLY moving; when you hit that goat! :yikes:

:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack: :2thumbs:

UtahPete
07-10-2017, 05:37 PM
Got mine from these people
http://sheepskinfactory.com/
Nice custom fit for the spyder Love the comfort Cool in the summer Warm in the winter Won't ride without it

That must have been pricey! How custom is it?

roofus7044
07-10-2017, 06:50 PM
I used an Alaskan leather sheepskin when I had my Concours. It helped but doesn't take the place of a good seat. The seat on my RSS is so much better I don't even use it anymore.

jaherbst
07-10-2017, 06:52 PM
Sheepskin Factory in Denver CO. The very Best fitted high quality sheepskin you can buy. I have had them make (sight unseen) over 25 seats for me through the years. Nice folks, and very high quality with a perfect form fit. $225-275

Jack

cptjam
07-10-2017, 09:48 PM
A wise man once told me "Don't go cheap, on your sheep"!
Thanks, Jack!

ARtraveler
07-10-2017, 10:43 PM
What size do you use for the drivers seat on the RT?

I bought the X large size. Works fine for me. PS. I do not attach them to the seat. Just put it on and sit on it. When parked, they go into the frunk. :yes:

IdahoMtnSpyder
07-10-2017, 10:49 PM
I bought one from Misty Mountain at Spyderfest 2016. Didn't give me any additional comfort at all, & was a pain to have to take it off every time I washed the Spyder. It also felt scratchy, like wool. Oh, it is wool! It's in the garage somewhere along with my Pro Pad gel pad I used on my 2013 RT. I replaced the seat on my 2014 RTS with a Comfort seat, which has been quite comfortable. No sore butt at all after 6650 miles over 25 days on my Homecoming trip!