PDA

View Full Version : Coolant swapped out on my 2010 RT Spyder but leaking again

peterRT
07-04-2017, 06:47 AM
Hi all", I swapped out my coolant a week ago in my spyder and now it is still leaking. I have pictures of where it is leaking

I wiped underneath it 6 hours ago and rode it home then took another pic. already there are 2 drops of coolant visible when I took the picture in the garage,

What I don't understand is that the coolant I replaced is Blue yet the leak is green

I hope it is not serious and any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Regards Peter

timeless
07-04-2017, 07:28 AM
That little bit & being the same color as the old coolant could be from the coolant change out just dripping some from a hidden small spillage. I would just keep a close eye on it and continue to ride the machine. Eventually the spillage will evaporate and stop.

If it was a real leak I would think the drops you see would eventually turn blue in color.

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-04-2017, 09:30 AM
Hi all", I swapped out my coolant a week ago in my spyder and now it is still leaking. I have pictures of where it is leaking

I wiped underneath it 6 hours ago and rode it home then took another pic. already there are 2 drops of coolant visible when I took the picture in the garage,

What I don't understand is that the coolant I replaced is Blue yet the leak is green

Regards Peter
If you drained the coolant using the " drain plug " this might be the problem..... some here have reported breaking it while trying to get it off, so the recommendation has been to take off the lower hose...... Soooo did you use any type of " thread sealant " on the plug ???? ....................... Mike :thumbup:

freebob
07-04-2017, 09:59 AM

Regards Peter

I would check the coolant tank, Early Spyders had a problem with coolant tanks leaking. Mine developed a tank leak at about 15,000 mi.
I replaced mine myself no major problem to replace. orig coolant is green if you filled tank with blue tank leak would be blue.
Freebob:doorag:

Chupaca
07-04-2017, 10:33 AM
Would be nice to see above that area. The water pump seal could be leaking which is above that area as well as the hoses (one has a worm drive clamp which has been found to be loose on many units) Water leaks take the path of least resistance and accumulate in far away palces...Pull the bottom panel and see if you can spot the leak. :thumbup:

peterRT
07-04-2017, 03:53 PM
If you drained the coolant using the " drain plug " this might be the problem..... some here have reported breaking it while trying to get it off, so the recommendation has been to take off the lower hose...... Soooo did you use any type of " thread sealant " on the plug ???? ....................... Mike :thumbup:

Hi Mike no I did't use thread sealant, but I have looked at that area and there is no stain is discoloring on the bottom of the radiator,

Regards Peter

peterRT
07-04-2017, 03:58 PM
Would be nice to see above that area. The water pump seal could be leaking which is above that area as well as the hoses (one has a worm drive clamp which has been found to be loose on many units) Water leaks take the path of least resistance and accumulate in far away palces...Pull the bottom panel and see if you can spot the leak. :thumbup:

Hi Chupaca", I try that today and see what i can find

regards Peter

Snowbelt Spyder
07-04-2017, 06:33 PM
Are all you guys in Australia named Peter?

Anyway, by looking at your pictures, I see the belt and the engine oil drain plug. Tells me you are showing us the left hand side splash pan. All of the coolant plumbing and water pump will leak mainly from the right hand side. Plus you told us that you put in blue coolant and you are getting green leakage.

So, of course you want to go back over it and check for leaks from any connections that you took apart, and pay mind to what Mike said about the drain plug if you happened to remove that. In addition, ensure that the cap on the coolant tank is tightened all the way to the stop and the tabs on both sides of the cap engaged the thread on the tank, not just one side.

But most of all, did it get a though rinsing after you changed the old coolant. Garden hose and spray nozzle and thoroughly rinse out the engine bay and all of the nooks and crannies in the frame. Those frame members are hollow. Pay particular attention to that. Don't leave anything untouched, and no, you're not going to hurt anything.

After it drips dry for a few minutes, take it out for a ride so the interior dries out. After that, any leakage you get, you can be certain is new leakage and not residual spillage. Monitor level in the tank. Just track it down, one connection at a time. There are two screw type hose clamps hidden up underneath the air box that you can't see without lifting the air box. But it comes back to green vs blue. Just be methodical and you'll figure it out.

peterRT
07-04-2017, 08:26 PM
Are all you guys in Australia named Peter?

Anyway, by looking at your pictures, I see the belt and the engine oil drain plug. Tells me you are showing us the left hand side splash pan. All of the coolant plumbing and water pump will leak mainly from the right hand side. Plus you told us that you put in blue coolant and you are getting green leakage.

So, of course you want to go back over it and check for leaks from any connections that you took apart, and pay mind to what Mike said about the drain plug if you happened to remove that. In addition, ensure that the cap on the coolant tank is tightened all the way to the stop and the tabs on both sides of the cap engaged the thread on the tank, not just one side.

But most of all, did it get a though rinsing after you changed the old coolant. Garden hose and spray nozzle and thoroughly rinse out the engine bay and all of the nooks and crannies in the frame. Those frame members are hollow. Pay particular attention to that. Don't leave anything untouched, and no, you're not going to hurt anything.

After it drips dry for a few minutes, take it out for a ride so the interior dries out. After that, any leakage you get, you can be certain is new leakage and not residual spillage. Monitor level in the tank. Just track it down, one connection at a time. There are two screw type hose clamps hidden up underneath the air box that you can't see without lifting the air box. But it comes back to green vs blue. Just be methodical and you'll figure it out.

Hi Mate thanks for that I go out to the shed and check it after

regards Peter

peterRT
07-09-2017, 09:00 PM

Regards Peter

Hi all", I took the Spyder down to the mechanic who deal with and service Spyders, and he checked the radiator and dipped the PH level and there is no leak. It was simply overflow from when I filled it up and spilt green coolant under the Spyder getting on the belly pan because travelling at speed the coolant got swept back under the Spyder frame,

LOL Regards Peter